20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Hand Polish

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Hand Polish

I know it's tiring and painstakingly slow, but considering I don't have an electrical outlet in my garage, or $200 for a Porter Cable, it's either OTC polishes by hand or nothing.

After browsing Canadian Tire and Parts Source, I've narrowed my choices to three:

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound: People say its cut is similar to M105, which I think is relatively aggressive. One person guaranteed that it will leave trails, etc. that would have to be followed by a finer polish. It is a compound, after all.

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish: Hear it's comparable to M205, and that I would have no problems sealing/protecting the paint right after.

AutoGlym's Super Resin Polish: From what I hear, this is a very oily product that will eliminate very fine scratches, and fill in almost all the rest. I think it would give me the best immediate result, but I'm worried about how well any protection would bond to a glazed surface, and how long it would last. The fact that I would probably have to reapply every month or two months would bother me a little bit as well. On the plus side, I think it would be a much quicker process than the others.

I considered using Ultimate Compound and following with the Polish, but a two-step hand correction would take a hell of a lot longer than I would like. This is the only car in the family, so I can't really keep it out of commission for too long.

Does anyone know if Ultimate Compound or Polish contain any fillers? Anything else I'm missing that's available OTC?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
My vote goes to Ultimate Compound. Although it is a compound, don't confuse it for being "harsh" on your vehicle's surface, especially when applied by hand. It's not going to scuff up or dull the paint when used properly. It features SMAT (super micro abrasive technology) that is far more advanced than the compounds of the past. Ultimate Compound finishes very nice considering it has the ability to cut as much as it does.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
yeah i am actually looking for something to apply by hand before waxing, sort of like a pre wax cleaner...basically exactly what you want.

I have autoglym SRP bookmarked and was thinking about picking it up soon off amazon...

can ultimate compound be used in this way, and followed up on immediately?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:24 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Definitely not criticism but I remember (not so long ago) when this was said about diminishing abrasives

“It features abrasives that are far more advanced than the compounds of the past.” And technology advances
Old 06-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerG
yeah i am actually looking for something to apply by hand before waxing, sort of like a pre wax cleaner...basically exactly what you want.

I have autoglym SRP bookmarked and was thinking about picking it up soon off amazon...

can ultimate compound be used in this way, and followed up on immediately?
I got the 4* prewax cleaner and 4* UPP that I'm going to apply this weekend. It was either that combo or the Klasse twins. I'll post up pictures to show the results on Sunday.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:49 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,942 Likes on 3,818 Posts
I can't imagine trying to correct paint by hand. I would think that it would cause more problems than it would solve. I hope it works out for you. Please post pics when you have it done. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
you not going to beable to correct by hand...i would just suggest meguiars cleaner wax as it has some fillers in it to conceal some of the minor swirls....

the problem with trying to use a polish by hand, is that you can get the polish to work correctly with the pressure and speed of the human hand...your stuck, get a machine...its really the only option
Old 06-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Op is too busy to care

Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
I got the 4* prewax cleaner and 4* UPP that I'm going to apply this weekend. It was either that combo or the Klasse twins. I'll post up pictures to show the results on Sunday.
thank you sir. i have 4* UPP bookmarked too lololol
Old 06-11-2011, 04:48 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Hand Polishing

Will require patience and a lot of ‘elbow grease’ but in some circumstances adequate results can be obtained

Hand polishing is necessary around door handles, especially those that are recessed, around badges and emblems and around trim and panel edges, once masking tape has been removed and water drainage channel in trunk and hood.

The application of detailing products with a random orbital has the advantage of ensuring an even pressure and constant contact speed, mimicking free hand motion but at a far greater speed and a greatly reduced physical effort. By allowing the weight and the random motion of the machine do the work, thus ensuring that the product is applied in a thin even layer, and will allow products to get embedded deeper into the paint film surface's porosity.

As a caveat I would say that very little correction (paint levelling)can be accomplished by hand polishing, this is especially true with 'hard' clear coat finishes (CeramiClear) these is due to the fact that your hand can only move so fast and apply only so much pressure, either of which cannot be maintained over time.

Plus you’re going to feel numb for a week if you try and polish an entire car by hand. What can be accomplished however is with the use of an abrasive all-in-one type product to remove defects such as surface water spots, oxidation, etc.

Z-PC™ Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover- (a finishing polish) safely removes minor scratches, swirls, oxidation, wax build-up and other blemishes with fused tri-particulate, diminishing abrasive system
Gtechniq P1 Nanocomposite Polish - for normal paintwork correction P1 produces great finishes both by machine and by hand

Autoglym's Super Resin Polish (especially suited to older ‘soft’ paint); a polish, glaze, and a synthetic wax in one easy to use, gentle formula, for the removal of oxidation and light surface marks, and it will also 'fill' in some of the deeper marks, creating a visually stunning appearance.

Iz Einszett Paint Polish- will bring the dullest finishes back to life with a lack of effort that will surprise you.

Meguiar’s ScratchX 2.0- for isolated scratch and scuff removal, This new formula has been specifically developed for hand application to quickly remove isolated scratches, fingernail marks, paint transfer and parking lot scuffs. Unique micro-abrasives correct these defects fast

Polish application: use a soft foam applicator and work a small section (18 x 18 –inch) working the product into paint. This will provide the paint with a deep high gloss

CCS Euro Foam Polish Applicators - are available in three grades; White is for general polishing, Orange - used to remove light to moderate swirls, Red - designed specifically for the application of waxes, sealants, and glazes and has no cut or cleaning ability.

These foam pads allow you to match polishes to the appropriate foam variety, just as you’d do if you were applying the products with a polisher. Now you can get better results by hand because the applicator is enhancing the performance of the product.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I'm not looking for anything even close to 100% correction. I want to get rid of some surface stains, waterspots, and in general bring back a little bit of shine. If I can minimize swirls, great.

After reading the responses, I think I'll be using AutoGlym's Super Resin Polish. Any comments on how any LSPs will bond to the surface after SRP? I'll post pics when I get around to it, hopefully sometime around next week.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Op is too busy to care

@ aman, i have zymol HD cleanse, and requires a decent amount of work but leaves the surface noticeably smoother and i feel as though the LSP lasts longer and feels better when i use HD cleanse first.

im gonna pick up some autoglym SRP too soon
Old 06-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Hey Killer, what exactly is Zymol HD Cleanse? I'm guessing some kind of paint cleaner? Multipurpose?

I have the chance to buy some Zymol "Original Formula" Wax at my local detailing supply store, claims it eliminates/reduces swirls, cleans paint, protects blah blah. I'm enjoying my NXT 2.0 right now though, and I think they both contain cleaners so I can't really layer them.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all comes down to what effect you are trying to achieve, once you are done polishing your car. Also depends how hard the clear coat is and what's the condition of the car.

I would recommend using Ultimate Compound by hand, because I've used it once by hand on a black car, and it turned out very nice. Didn't leave any hazing either if done right.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Op is too busy to care

"Anyway after getting it all said and done HD cleanse leaves a noticeably smooth surface on the car. Dragging my finger across the surface i found that it would glide easily over treated portions and then immediately hit resistance and friction on the untreated. Thats good news then. Also, repeat applications smoothened surfaces further. This made me wonder whether HD cleanse was actually cleaning or removing anything or just layering up a thin film on top of whatever shit is on your paint, the description of the product is very vague so i wasnt sure what to expect. It's definitely not a substitute for a clay bar though thats for sure"

Thats myself from a while ago^

basically it seems to just make the surface a lot smoother, i usually use it in combination with the zymol i have and i did it once with autoglym and seems to make the longevity of the wax really good.

Ur prolly right @ the zymol cleaner wax willl strip NXT and vice versa. Im basically hoping autoglym SRP does the same thing. Im waiting for some books i traded in to show up on amazons gift credit and then ill order xD
Old 06-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Thanks, Turbo.

Being an 8 year old Honda, the paint is likely going to be softer than Angelina's tits. I'm not expecting to achieve 100% correction, but I want to reduce some swirls, get rid of defects (water spots, a small calcium stain), and bring a little bit of shine back out again.

What kind of car did you use Compound on? Something with relatively soft paint, or harder paint?

Killer, you're starting to make me consider just using Zymol and skipping any polish or NXT.

Here's another question: If NXT contains any cleaners, will it affect SRP's glazing properties?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Op is too busy to care

my guess is yes, it will affect the underneath layer. SRP is supposed to fill swirls and shit and so is NXT so the NXTs cleaners will likely negate the SRP (super aweome guess here)

i would suggest you get something like SRP and a caranuba wax to top it off with (i was lucky and got autoglym HD on clearance). If you wait a bit ill let you know how it goes

as far as zymol goes, it requires a decent amount of work but it lasts long. Its also really expensive. I got it as a gift thankfully. I think you could buy SRP and a decent caranuba and get away with it for half he price.

also hoping leprechaun has good results with 4* UPP on hs 2g
Old 06-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aman, I used it on black 2001 Acura CL. I also remember using it on 2003 Acura TL both were done by hand using Ultimate Compound and applicator pad.

The reason why I would recommend using Ultimate Compound, is because it is the strongest polish that can be used safely and applied by hand and achieving great results. Also when applying it, it has to be done in the shade and on cool surface, because I've seen some people apply it on warm/hot surface and it dries out before you are able to polish your car and then won't be able to wipe it off. This will result in lots of holograms.

Forgot to mention, Acura CL had rather soft clear coat, while TL had medium, not soft not hard. Both finished off pretty well. If UC will leave some hazing behind it, you can apply NXT wax and it will remove it, since it has very fine abrasives that will remove hazing and will leave very glossy finish.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

It does help, and nice to have the advice from someone who's used it.

Thanks Killer to you too for you help, I appreciate it. I think I will try SRP soon but not now. Maybe after I finish with NXT I'll try SRP and AGHD. Let me know how yours goes!

Thanks for the help guys. Will probably be purchasing products on Monday, and car will go out of commission Tuesday.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:09 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by KillerG
my guess is yes, it will affect the underneath layer. SRP is supposed to fill swirls and shit and so is NXT so the NXTs cleaners will likely negate the SRP (super aweome guess here)

i would suggest you get something like SRP and a caranuba wax to top it off with (i was lucky and got autoglym HD on clearance). If you wait a bit ill let you know how it goes

as far as zymol goes, it requires a decent amount of work but it lasts long. Its also really expensive. I got it as a gift thankfully. I think you could buy SRP and a decent caranuba and get away with it for half he price.

also hoping leprechaun has good results with 4* UPP on hs 2g
4*UPP is fantastic. It layers well and the more layers you add the better it looks. I have 3 coats on and, my car looks wet all the time.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Op is too busy to care

SRP ordered
Old 06-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
I know it's tiring and painstakingly slow, but considering I don't have an electrical outlet in my garage, or $200 for a Porter Cable, it's either OTC polishes by hand or nothing.

After browsing Canadian Tire and Parts Source, I've narrowed my choices to three:

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound: People say its cut is similar to M105, which I think is relatively aggressive. One person guaranteed that it will leave trails, etc. that would have to be followed by a finer polish. It is a compound, after all.

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish: Hear it's comparable to M205, and that I would have no problems sealing/protecting the paint right after.

AutoGlym's Super Resin Polish: From what I hear, this is a very oily product that will eliminate very fine scratches, and fill in almost all the rest. I think it would give me the best immediate result, but I'm worried about how well any protection would bond to a glazed surface, and how long it would last. The fact that I would probably have to reapply every month or two months would bother me a little bit as well. On the plus side, I think it would be a much quicker process than the others.

I considered using Ultimate Compound and following with the Polish, but a two-step hand correction would take a hell of a lot longer than I would like. This is the only car in the family, so I can't really keep it out of commission for too long.

Does anyone know if Ultimate Compound or Polish contain any fillers? Anything else I'm missing that's available OTC?

Thanks in advance.
Why not just get a decent random orbital buffer for like $30-$40 instead of applying and or removing the wax/polish by hand. Just put atleast 2 microfiber or cotton bonnets on at a time so you dont scratch the paint and that way you get better application and better removal of the wax plus you save your wrists. You very rarely need to use a high speed buffer on your car(s)
Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Originally Posted by Aman
I don't have an electrical outlet in my garage,
And I'm very wary about the battery life of any cordless machines.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:50 PM
My first Avatar....

^
Can you get an extension cord and run it into your house?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I live in an apartment building, so unless they make an 8-story extension cord... . Only other option would be spending another $60 on one of those portable electrical outlet thingers that you charge up.