Hand Car Wash questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hand Car Wash questions

Hey guys,

I know that none of you detailers are big proponents of car washes, but there is a Boardwalk Car wash that has recently opened in the area. It's a hand car wash, and it's suppose to be a upscale classy franchise. Anyway's, I decided to check it out today. Of course I didn't take my TSX, but rather I took my girlfriend's 2007 Chevy Aveo through it. I figured I'd see how well they did before I took my car. Anyway's, since you can watch them washing it, I saw some things that concerned me. First of all, they use the SAME wash mits for EVERY car. The car goes through like it would a soft cloth car wash, but instead of the brushes, there are about 2 guys on each side of the car washing it.. They start off by bring the car in and power washing it. It then goes down the conveyor and a machine puts soap on it. Then there are guys with wash mits that scrub it. It then goes through and there is a sprinkler type of system that sprays off the car from above it. It then goes through dryers, and finally the guys wipe it dry at the end. How bad are these type of places? I saw MB's, BMW's, and Porches going through, but it really concerned me that they were using the same wash mits, especially when all of the cars going through were full of salt. If anyone has had experience with a place like this, and would like to share their thoughts, that would be great. I like washing my own car, but during the winter in Chicago, it's pretty hard. So, I guess my last question is, if it comes down to it, is a SOFT cloth car wash a better choice, or is this type of car wash where they use the same wash mits for each car a better bet?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 01-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Intermediate

If the cold weather is a proble, buy some Optimum No Rinse Wash. I just rec'd my bottle last evening and will be one if not both cars this weekend. Excel Detail has a post on this site and you can find more on http://www.autopia.org.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Pro

I can't comment on which type of car wash place is better, but as you mentiond up front, most of us wouldn't take ours through it - I know I don't. Regarding seeing some nice cars going through it, I'm sure Pat & some other avid detailers can attest to the fact that just because they're nice cars doesn't mean the owner takes care of them. I remember one of Pat's details, where he did a BMW and it looked great once finished but he mentioned the person probably wouldn't do the necessary upkeep.

As ctvader mentioned, Optimum NRWS is your friend! Check out this page from ExcelDetail.com. I highly reccomend this method. This is how I do it. Also, check out this thread, I've linked it to the second page where I've posted some pics (my second set, with my TL, shows the 'pre-rinse' method in action).

Hopefully this helps...I'm sure someone else will be able to give you some info about the car wash place.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't take my TSX, but rather I took my girlfriend's 2007 Chevy Aveo through it.
Yeah buddy!!!
First of all, they use the SAME wash mits for EVERY car.
So much for upscale......
I saw MB's, BMW's, and Porches going through,
.....they were using the same wash mits, especially when all of the cars going through were full of salt......
These are the types of clients who call me seaking swirls removed.....You can see where Im going with this I hope......
As ctvader mentioned, Optimum NRWS is your friend! Check out this page from ExcelDetail.com. I highly reccomend this method. This is how I do it. Also, check out this thread, I've linked it to the second page where I've posted some pics (my second set, with my TL, shows the 'pre-rinse' method in action).
This is the best I can come up with for your Winter doldrums......It appears to have gathered some approval along wth success on several forums now....
Thank you to those who appreciate my findings and continue with the techniques support by referrals and follow with success.....
Old 01-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't take my car to a hand wash car wash. We have them in my area as well and as you said what is the point if their wash mits are filthy with salt and dirt from the last 30 cars that went through before you. I just ordered some Optimum no rinse wash so I'll give that a try, otherwise I use an occasional touchless car wash where nothing touches my car except water, soap and air. These however do have some pretty harsh chemical soaps that can wear on your wax/sealant but I do what I have to. Otherwise I just wait for those days where the temp creeps up just enough for me to wash it myself. Good Luck
Old 01-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I ent to Boise Idaho for a concert once and it rained on the way down .. I looked up car washes and there was a high end one a couple blocks from the hotel ..

They offered a high end hand wash and M/F towel dry ..

I watched for a while .. then let them do mine .... as careful as they were it micro marred it and I'm still not sure why but was the day I started taking my own stuff with me and most Motels will let you use thier hose etc. I do it myself.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by conan777
.... I just ordered some Optimum no rinse wash so I'll give that a try ... Otherwise I just wait for those days where the temp creeps up just enough for me to wash it myself. Good Luck
OR, you don't have to wait for the temp to go up if you have a garage. I'm telling you, once you get this Optimum NRWS you'll be addicted to it. I've been using it (Chicago) all this winter, for at least 2 months now. I wash the car twice a week in the garage. It was 2 degrees here the other day (-11 with the windchill)...guess who had the only clean car on the street that day
Old 01-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steve9207
OR, you don't have to wait for the temp to go up if you have a garage. I'm telling you, once you get this Optimum NRWS you'll be addicted to it. I've been using it (Chicago) all this winter, for at least 2 months now. I wash the car twice a week in the garage. It was 2 degrees here the other day (-11 with the windchill)...guess who had the only clean car on the street that day
Sweet! I can't wait I have a nice big garage!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

Here's a link I posted at http://www.autopia.org with my 1st day using ONR -

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...h-no-joke.html

I've used in once on both cars and i'm addicted. Now... when are they releasing their wheel and tire cleaner....
Old 01-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Hopefully the newer Optimum products will be available at the end of the month.....
Old 01-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Intermediate

Thanks excel - appreciate the update. Do you know if its going to a be a no rinse wheel cleaner?
Old 01-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh no, its a rinse, water soluble solution.....
Old 01-06-2008, 05:42 PM
hates the winter

No chain car wash is good. lol U have to suck it up and do the ONRW.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:53 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
ONR is great, I did a 3.00 power wash / get dirt off wash, then took it home and did an ONR wash in 30mins, and it turned out MINT.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:53 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
^ no camera though

My gf commented "woh that stuff really works great"