Griots coming to Exceldetail?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Griots coming to Exceldetail?

Well, just maybe!
Every company has a loyal following, and Griots is no exception. Im going to start with the PC's they have. According to Griots, the Griot's Garage Random Orbital 6" model they sell has higher torque then the PC 7336 (which I havent used in some time). They also carry a 3" Professional Orbital polisher which I certainly could have used on the lower body panels on that TL I did over the weekend. Bumpers, mirror housings, windshield wiper cowling, A, B & C-pillars, spoilers, the valence area around your license plate... plus all of the tight areas that a 5.5 or 6" pad just can't reach. Great for motorcycles as well! All I could think of on the way home from Hollywood was that dang Simoniz D/C model, knowing full well it was probably not worth investing in. Well Griots returned my call today and is more then likely willing to assist Exceldetail.com in getting some of there products on board. So with that said, what do you guys think?

Last edited by exceldetail; 11-10-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i looked hard at that griots 6" machine last year before i got the udm...now i have 2 udm's...when and if they both crap out on me i will buy the griots machine....
Old 11-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I'd be curious to see the amp rating of the Griots and a side by side test against the UDM.

That 3" one has a pretty low amp rating suggesting very little power.

I have a couple of working UDMs and once they die I was looking at the Meguiars G-110 I think it is or the Griots. Trouble is no one has done a good side by side of the 2 or 3 ... all supposed to be a step up from the PC.

The Flex is out because my pads / backing plates won't fit it ..
Old 11-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can have Griots products from Tirerack.com
Old 11-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I'd be curious to see the amp rating of the Griots and a side by side test against the UDM.

That 3" one has a pretty low amp rating suggesting very little power.

I have a couple of working UDMs and once they die I was looking at the Meguiars G-110 I think it is or the Griots. Trouble is no one has done a good side by side of the 2 or 3 ... all supposed to be a step up from the PC.

The Flex is out because my pads / backing plates won't fit it ..
the flex will use the same pads, no?? i thought just the backing plates were the issues....i would strongly consider the flex if it wasnt soo expensive...if i was detailing for a living or even hobby, i would probably use the flex....
Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 PM
The Detailer

The Griot's products look promising but after viewing their products several times in the catalog and online, I just can't seem to agree with their prices. I can find much better products from you Patrick.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Former Sponsor

I know Denzil. Those products may evolve down the road. Like I said earlier, Griots has a following. There products arent bad, there's just as good, or better for less......
Old 11-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Denzil
The Griot's products look promising but after viewing their products several times in the catalog and online, I just can't seem to agree with their prices. I can find much better products from you Patrick.
yea, i get the catalog in the mail all the time, i love looking at it and drooling over the garage stuff, but as for their polishes and waxes and stuff, i would never purchase thier stuff...but some of the other items and such look pretty cool and i would get some of the other items, inclucing the orbital polisher....and its priced about the same as the udm....
Old 11-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Im trying to do soething a little creative with the business in these times. I dont believe (although dont quote me) any other well know online stores carry them?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Im trying to do soething a little creative with the business in these times. I dont believe (although dont quote me) any other well know online stores carry them?
Patrick, Tirerack carry them,but I think only products for wheels and tires.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love mine! I haven't used the PC or other brands (well serious brands, that is, I used to have a WaxMaster). It seems every bit as heavy duty and durable as the others, but I like the fact that I don't have a chuck and need to use a wrench to get the backing pad on.

Just slap on ExcelDetail's pads and go! It couldn't be easier and I get awesome results!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JohnCollins
I love mine! I haven't used the PC or other brands . It seems every bit as heavy duty and durable as the others,

Just to be the devils advocate .. if you haven't used the others .. how would you know?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Just to be the devils advocate .. if you haven't used the others .. how would you know?
Hefting them and looking at amp ratings. They have to be pretty similar. Not saying there are no differences, just not significant ones.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Well, after some voice conferencing and emails and phone calls, I dont think this is going to happen. Griots sales and wholesale managers were very helpful, and interesting to talk with. The products sound very viable, but the "buy in" appears to be more then im willing to put up. One of my biggest concerns are products sitting on shelves too long, and the whole concept behind me carrying some Griots was to get small qtys on the shelf, get exposure, guage sales, and go from there. But they have a "buy in" that Im not to keen on. Of all the companies I do business with, buy ins were never an issue, nor minimum order qtys. But Griots is more then Im willing to accept. So for the moment, unless they have a change of heart, it looks like Griots will fall by the wayside.......Such is my nature, I have a new product im demo'ing tomorrow on a Viper...... Stay tuned.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I have never bought from them or used thier products ... thier chemicals might be ok but the rest of the line is grossly over priced and usually found elswhere for a lot less $$.

Maybe its a good thing ... sometimes signs from above come in funny packages.