Gas station disaster

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Saysdamnalot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gas station disaster

So I am at a gas station Tuesday night and the hose I used just so happened to have a cut in it. Before the emergency shut-off could be hit, $60 worth of premium gas spewed all over the inside of the driver's door, the entire exterior of the car and my clothes.

I am asking that the gas station take care of any costs associated with cleaning my car. I have already had a basic wash and interior clean. I am going to speak with the detail manager at a local shop to see what all he suggests.

But having read so much great information from you all over the past months, I wanted to see if any of you have suggestions as to steps I should take to mitigate the effects to this gasoline on my car.

I can still smell gas inside of it. Makes me sick.

Thanks!

Mo
Old 06-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn!!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Saysdamnalot

Yeah man. Tell me about it. 07 TL-S I got 3 months ago.

And stuff coulda gone hella worse. Quick. Half a 50 gal barrel of gas all over me and the car.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
love the smell of gas
Old 06-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Chapter Leader (Central Florida)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
gas INSIDE the car? likely going to have to replace the carpet, seats (that foam doesnt give up stink easy) and anything else that got hit by the gas. Id contact your insurance company if I were you and let them know what happened, they might be able to help you get the money from the gas station.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Souljah
love the smell of gas
Me too, but not when it's dried into fabric. Gross.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Instructor

so BP just burns oil in the gulf and looks like it kinda worked for them
did you try to set it on fire? i am very sorry just couldnt help it.

like somebody suggested it, easier is just to replace whats been damaged by gas, since you cant realy clean it without using harsh chemicals which might ruin finish of what you trying to clean,

i had almost same happen to me that shut off vavle didnt work and had couple gallons spilled. told gas station attendant and she said to talk to shop that was there.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Dammit man....I feel for you and your car. I almost started laughing when I read this thread. Then I had a quick flash back when I was a young private in the army and spilled diesel fuel all over my uniforms trying to refuel a generator. No showers and 100+ degrees for 2 weeks out in the field.

Seriously I would try to contact your insurance also like LostSol_FoundTL" said. I was compensated by a tow truck company that scratched my front bumper on my old Maxima. I paid no deductible and received a check within 10 days.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:54 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Man, sorry. I hope you get all taken care of.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Good luck recovering the cost. I had (my son) a set of wheels destroyed at a Shell gas station car wash - rubber bumper on rails was missing - marred/scraped the wheels. Shell would not cover cost of repair but offered a free car wash.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Instructor

No offence to the "postee" above, but you didnt try hard enough. I have a good deal of expirence with issues like this (not gas station in particular, but with a best buy that completly messed up my dash, and other insurance related issues), and believe me, all you have to do is hound the gas station, and be pursistant, and they will give you what you want. IMO, I would get an inflated estimate for replacing ALL of the interior pieces that the gas touched (including installation), and then go directly to the gas station manager, and tell him straight out what you want. Even further more, tell him that if you do not recieve the parts that you are intitled to in order to get your car back into teh condition it was prior to the gas incident, you are willing to take it to small claims court. In the end, it is there fault. You did nothing wrong but try to be a loyal customer and purchase gas from your favorite gas station . I am sure that the gas station has some insurance provider for accidents such as this - becuase a gas station does sell flammable material. For example, if there gas station caught on fire, and customers cars were damaged, you know that an insurance company would take care of it. Just make sure that when you get an estimate it is from a Acura dealorship, and dont worry about cost - because in the end the insurance company will hit you with a 10% deduction in the cost of parts per year since your car was manufactured due to your car not being "Brand New" (for example if your car is a 2007, they will take 30% off of your invoice). Hope this helps. Send me a pm if I could be anymore of assitance! BTW, if it gets all the way to a claims adjuster he will probably try to talk his way out of responsibility - but dont say no - afterall, a claims adjusters job is to save the company money. Any insurance provider that would take care of this would have to grant you the claim if they want to act in "good faith" because it clearly is the gas stations fault.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Saysdamnalot

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yeah, I guess I will have to get my insurance involved. Just always hate dealing with the dooshes they can be.

This is a major chain the the southeast, Mapco. I am fighting the heck out of them for it. S/W a lawyer last night. Cannot believe how little responsibility these conglomerates assume for their company. 72 hours now and not the first call from them.

What a way to tarnish my hard earned car.

I really appreciate the advice.

Mo
Old 06-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have someone take off the door panel and then have the detail shop clean both sides of it and then clean whatever they can behind the panel. If it got in the dashboard, have someone disassemble and clean it/replace it. if it got in the seats, either reupholster them or replace them. Replace the carpet. I'm not sure if gas damages the paint, but have them pay to get the paint polished if it is damaged, and if that doesn't cut it, have them pay for a partial repaint at a high quality shop.