G2...not as lite as you would think.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry G2...not as lite as you would think.

Long story, short, I dropped a bottle of red G2 gatorade in my car. I took out the floor mat and treated which worked fine. It was late when I finished folling with it and decided to return it the next morning. Morning rolls around and apparently so did the G2...in the carpet, underneath the mat. It was dark the previous night and I did not see the excess plus I did not think there was that much left in the bottle, wrong! The stains are bright red. I tried a shaw carpet cleaner to no result. I bought blue coral and each application is lifting some of it as evidenced by the the residue on the white wash cloth but the stain is still prominent. I could go on brushing this stuff in and it might lift all of it but my carpet is going to look fubar using the brush over and over again. I would not think such a lightly colored liquid would stain so brightly but live and learn. Advice?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
a steam cleaner might be one option... Have you tried using the blue coral in combo with a shop vac to help suck up the dye?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:51 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Steam extraction cleaning. Detail shops do it and I'm not normally one to recommend their services.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:57 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Specific fabric stains-

a) Red Stains- Try to find out the source of the stain (Koolaid, Gatorade, Red wine, etc.) It is important to know the source as many old coffee or tea stains can look like red dye stains and many stains if treated improperly can "set" and then be a major task to remove
Removing red stains is one of the toughest to remove because usually a red food dye is used and if spilled on fabric or upholstery it will dye it. Use Red Stain Remover (TOTL) is a unique formulation that removes super tough red stains. Spray the solution on the stain and agitated with a brush to make sure it has penetrated the fibre. Allow it to sit a few minutes to insure the chemical "action" dissolves the dye.

Place a dry towel over the area and press with a hot iron, as the heat draws the dye to the towel so it can be lifted from the fabric. http://www.fabriclink.com/fabriccare.html

The process may take a couple of applications especially if stain is old, or has been allowed to set for some time. Follow with a thorough by hand-cleaning using Woolite® Heavy Traffic Carpet Cleaner, or with a carpet extractor. Once carpet is thoroughly dry protect it from future stains (using 303 Fabric Protector)

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Hmmmm 303 Fabric Protector......

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...TOKEN=54580179

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 05-20-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Specific fabric stains-

a) Red Stains- Try to find out the source of the stain (Koolaid, Gatorade, Red wine, etc.) It is important to know the source as many old coffee or tea stains can look like red dye stains and many stains if treated improperly can "set" and then be a major task to remove
Removing red stains is one of the toughest to remove because usually a red food dye is used and if spilled on fabric or upholstery it will dye it. Use Red Stain Remover (TOTL) is a unique formulation that removes super tough red stains. Spray the solution on the stain and agitated with a brush to make sure it has penetrated the fibre. Allow it to sit a few minutes to insure the chemical "action" dissolves the dye.

Place a dry towel over the area and press with a hot iron, as the heat draws the dye to the towel so it can be lifted from the fabric. http://www.fabriclink.com/fabriccare.html

The process may take a couple of applications especially if stain is old, or has been allowed to set for some time. Follow with a thorough by hand-cleaning using Woolite® Heavy Traffic Carpet Cleaner, or with a carpet extractor. Once carpet is thoroughly dry protect it from future stains (using 303 Fabric Protector)

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.
20 dollars a bottle? Wow. Has anyone else use this stuff?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try Oxyclean - I've been able to get out most stains on carpet, clothes, etc with this and I've never had a problem with it removing the color of the clothes / carpet / etc (but try it in a test spot first) - I use the powder and make a paste, let it set for about 5 minutes, then srub with a toothbrush; repeat as needed. They also make a carpet cleaner but it smells like crap.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Steam extraction cleaning. Detail shops do it and I'm not normally one to recommend their services.
I do not have access to a steam cleaner personally and I do not wish to pay for the provess, if there are other means. What has worked exceptionally well is brusing in the Blue Coral and taking a steam iron and a white towel and blasting the area with the iron on top of the towel. It has lifted most of the stain in a few tries and there is no apparent damage to the fibers using this method.