First Timer Experiences with the Porter Cable 7424

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:40 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
First Timer Experiences with the Porter Cable 7424

Hey acurazine,

Many thanks to Fulani has a TL for the porter cable, anyway I thought I would share my results, since the weather here in Toronto has been terrible I haven’t had time to wax my NBP MDX, anyway point being I tried some new products, the pictures don’t do any justice, since I suck at photography but I am extremely pleased with the results.

What I used was the;
Porter Cable 7424
Orange Excel Cutting Pad.
Red Excel Finishing Pad.

Steps;
Mequires Clay + Detailer
Mequires #9 (scratch + swirl remover)
Mequires NXT

I am still getting the hang of it, but I think the results were okay for a first timer.

BTW; All I did was the hood.

Before, what a hazey mess.

After;

Cant wait for some better,

Is there anything I should add to the steps to get a more shiner, wet, reflective finish?
Old 02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks very good. Looks like you're a vet using the PC.

If you want extra pop, and if you want to stick with the Meguairs line.. get the Ultimate Quick Detailer to maintain the look.

As for the NXT was you used... durability is not great, but from reading about NXT 2.0 version, it's a lot better and will last longer.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:40 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Look for duragloss!

cheap and durable.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
#9 is a low abrasive, OTC, basic polish. There are much better polishes, that would fit the bill. That would be my first recommendation.
The end result doesnt necessarily get any better then your polishing efforts.
Its not all technique either. Proper product selection has as much to do with success as technique. And you efforts illustrate that. You were able to attain maximum results with what that product was capable of producing for you. If you bump up the products capability and effectiveness, you will yield much better results.
Great improvement however! But........
YOU can make it even better.
Hats off to you for a first timer too. This just goes to show, everyone can improve their cars appearance dramaticaaly with proper products and tools......
Old 02-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditch the NXT and get a bottle of Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection from Excel. You will not be disappointed.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:09 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Originally Posted by Macruz19
Looks very good. Looks like you're a vet using the PC.

If you want extra pop, and if you want to stick with the Meguairs line.. get the Ultimate Quick Detailer to maintain the look.

As for the NXT was you used... durability is not great, but from reading about NXT 2.0 version, it's a lot better and will last longer.
Thanks I really appreciate the comments, 2.0? I need to read up on this in the Mequires forms. I agree version 1, (if it’s safe to call it that) sucked, it had very bad durability, and you can’t really go wrong with Quick Detailer

Originally Posted by lusid
Look for duragloss!

cheap and durable.
Duragloss? sounds good to me 'durable-gloss' is really what I am looking for, something that looks great but also lasts long.

Originally Posted by exceldetail
#9 is a low abrasive, OTC, basic polish. There are much better polishes, that would fit the bill. That would be my first recommendation.
The end result doesnt necessarily get any better then your polishing efforts.
Its not all technique either. Proper product selection has as much to do with success as technique. And you efforts illustrate that. You were able to attain maximum results with what that product was capable of producing for you. If you bump up the products capability and effectiveness, you will yield much better results.
Great improvement however! But........
YOU can make it even better.
Hats off to you for a first timer too. This just goes to show, everyone can improve their cars appearance dramaticaaly with proper products and tools......
Thanks for the compliments Excel; I am looking forward to increasing my overall knowledge of OTC products + the different specialty products out there. After experiencing poor results with OTC polishers and products I knew there had to be more out there for me, I was working harder but not smarter. I hope to change all of this, took the first step today with the Porter Cable 7424

Originally Posted by joerockt
Ditch the NXT and get a bottle of Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection from Excel. You will not be disappointed.
I will definitely be in contact with Excel, once weather gets better here.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:13 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

By the way guys, would it be smart to pick up a halogen work light? maybe one that’s mounted on some sort of tripod. Would the halogen bulb laminate the swirls and scratches?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTSX-05
By the way guys, would it be smart to pick up a halogen work light? maybe one that’s mounted on some sort of tripod. Would the halogen bulb laminate the swirls and scratches?
Ha..ha..! I was just going to recommend that. They are really pretty cheap, $20-$40 from Sears or Home Depot or somewhere similiar. THey are great for illuminating all the defects. Anyway Welcome to the world of the PC, your detailing will never be the same. Like Excel Said, you can get much better results with the right products and pads to go with them. Have fun spending countless of hours researching everything or I'm sure Excel Detail will help steer you in the right direction and explain what you need. Good luck and if you have questions everyone here will do their best to help you out.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Pro

I use Zaino, but Duragloss is cheap and just as good
Old 02-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Great job - an amazing difference.

There are sooo many great polishes out there - Optimum Polish, Menzerna, etc. The most important thing is a good prep job - claying followed by a high quality polish (start with the least agressive 1st and move up the scale if needed - white pad to orange to yellow) will set the stage for your LSP (last step product - sealent and/or wax). Like Maruz19, I also use Zaino (Z5 on dark and Z2 on light) but I think I'm going to try something new when I run out - either FS UPP or Ultima PGP.

Excel - do you know the difference b/t the Four Star UPP and the UPGP? I remember reading something on autopia.org about them being the same product or owned by the same company.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
UPGP and UPP are made by the same company.........
Old 02-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Instructor

I've had some pretty good luck with Megs #9. I usually do a once over with #9 on a white pad, after I do Optimum Compound on an orange pad. It seems to give it a really nice shine and makes the black "pop" on my car. I know it's pretty mild and has a bunch of fillers in it. However, it looks great right after you've polished it.

Of course, I top it all off with the obligatory UPP coat after all that.

Question on the application though - should one wait several days after the first coat of UPP to apply a second coat, or can you re-apply a second coat again right after giving it the first coat?