First attempt in Detailing, need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First attempt in Detailing, need help!!

Hi everyone, as the title says I'm about to detail my car maybe in about a week since the weather is really nice now and this would be my first ever attempt in doing so. I just bought a pc 7424xp and for the polishes I just bought the Optimum hyperspray polish and the Optimum compund spray. For the pads I ordered 2 black pads and 2 orange pads, but I heard if I use the compound, I should use orange with that and then use a white pad for the finishing polish? Also I would be claying my car but the question is do I need to use a cleaner wax? since the previous owner did not really care about the paint job. This is my first time using a machine so any suggestions would really help.

Procedure:
Wash with dawn
Clay
Wash with car shampoo
Compound following with 50/50 IPA wipe down
Polish following with IPA wipe down
Glaze using V2 Wet Glaze cure for an hour
Sealant using Zaino Z2 or Z5 then cure for 24 hrs
And Lastly wax with Purple haze dodo juice

Please correct me if Im wrong with any of these steps. And here are some pics for my current paint.

And if there are any tips you guys would provide to a beginner like me, that would really help .

Also my cousin's car got hit from the side and we were just wondering if it was possible to get that stuff off using compound and polishing.

Thanks and really appreciate it

Last edited by Sarbag510; 05-23-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:41 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Your procedure looks OK, although I have NO experience with Zaino so I can't say how well it will layer...

If you use the compound on an orange pad you may find that you need to go back over the area with the hyperspray (I <3 this stuff) on an orange pad afterwards to finish up and clear up any micromarring the compounding/orange pad introduced. Otherwise, no need, but you will need to look closely with a halogen after a pass with the compound to see if you need it. I would plan on it.

Also, plan on spending some time on each panel. The PC and polish don't work instantly or magically, and you will find you may need to adjust both the speed and the pressure you apply to get the desired results.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:18 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Sounds like you've done your research.

I'd be careful with your rocker panels. Paint is usually thinner down there, and chances are it's in worse condition than the rest of the car. If that's the case, I can't see you getting full correction without taking off a lot of clear.

Another worry I'd have is how well your sealant/LSP will bond to a glazed surface. But I heard Wet Glaze is great, and it'll probably look amazing when finished.

Have fun.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Here is my comments

Wash with dawn
Clay
Wash with car shampoo <--- not needed
Compound following with 50/50 IPA wipe down <--- See "A" belowPolish following with IPA wipe down
Glaze using V2 Wet Glaze cure for an hour
Sealant using Zaino Z2 or Z5 then cure for 24 hrs
And Lastly wax with Purple haze dodo juice

"A" Never start with the most aggressive first. Do a test area using the polish on a white pad and do 2 or 3 passes on a 2 x 2' area with a 50/50 IPA wipe to see your progress. If your not getting any where then try the compound on the white pad, 3 passes .. if not doing it .. then go compound on orange pad. Each test section should be different area on the hood. Once you know what works then do the whole car.

No sense going aggressive and then having to correct the micromarring if you don't have to. If you do end up using the compound on an orange pad your prolly going to have to follow it with the polish on a white pad. The black pad is more for jeweling and wax application . your going to need a couple white pads.

As for the cleaner wax .. nope .. not if your claying & polishing.

Wet glaze doesn't need a cure time .. don't confuse cure time with drying time ( flashing ) Both Wet Glaze & Zaino can be removed soon as they have flashed.

Also with Zaino your going to need the ZAIO or the ZFX.

Myself for a noob I wouldn't recommend Zaino. Too many variables.

As for the pix of the of the cousins car .. I bet a lot will polish out .. use the compound on an orange pad but be gentle on that ridge thats about an inch or so in from the fender opening .. the clear might be a little thinner there.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Your procedure looks OK, although I have NO experience with Zaino so I can't say how well it will layer...

Also, plan on spending some time on each panel. The PC and polish don't work instantly or magically, and you will find you may need to adjust both the speed and the pressure you apply to get the desired results.
As for the Zaino I'll use it and see how it is with layering but I used it this past October and I think its the best sealant I have used so far, the water beaded till april! As for the pads I can use the same pad for polishing after compound? I have been watching videos on how much people usually spend time on each panel, so far Ive learned its 4-6 slow passes. Hopefully I do well

Originally Posted by Aman
Sounds like you've done your research.

I'd be careful with your rocker panels. Paint is usually thinner down there, and chances are it's in worse condition than the rest of the car. If that's the case, I can't see you getting full correction without taking off a lot of clear.

Another worry I'd have is how well your sealant/LSP will bond to a glazed surface. But I heard Wet Glaze is great, and it'll probably look amazing when finished.

Have fun.
Dude seriously my rocker panel is messed up from the driver side, there are some scuff marks from the shoes I believe, hopefully they come off with the pc+polish. The previous owner did not really care about the paint :-/

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Here is my comments

"A" Never start with the most aggressive first. Do a test area using the polish on a white pad and do 2 or 3 passes on a 2 x 2' area with a 50/50 IPA wipe to see your progress. If your not getting any where then try the compound on the white pad, 3 passes .. if not doing it .. then go compound on orange pad. Each test section should be different area on the hood. Once you know what works then do the whole car.

No sense going aggressive and then having to correct the micromarring if you don't have to. If you do end up using the compound on an orange pad your prolly going to have to follow it with the polish on a white pad. The black pad is more for jeweling and wax application . your going to need a couple white pads.

Wet glaze doesn't need a cure time .. don't confuse cure time with drying time ( flashing ) Both Wet Glaze & Zaino can be removed soon as they have flashed.

Also with Zaino your going to need the ZAIO or the ZFX.

Myself for a noob I wouldn't recommend Zaino. Too many variables.
I will order 3 white pads to see because im kind of confused now lol. From what I've heard after compound like you said we need to go with a less aggressive pad but stogie said after using orange on compound if needed use orange with polish? please chime in..

But I will definitely use the test method you have provided. And for Zaino, I will probably go with Z-5. I have the ZFX as well.

Also I was thinking about ordering Black wow for the trim and the engine bay. Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Thanks a lot for the replies
Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sarbag510
But I will definitely use the test method you have provided. And for Zaino, I will probably go with Z-5. I have the ZFX as well.

Also I was thinking about ordering Black wow for the trim and the engine bay. Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Thanks a lot for the replies
Zaino is definatly layerable. Only mix in enough ZFX that you will use in one session .. as it has a very short life.. like less than a day..

I use Black Wow on the cowling but not under the hood .. be very careful with it cuz if you get it on paint or glass its a PITA to get off.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarbag510
I will order 3 white pads to see because im kind of confused now lol. From what I've heard after compound like you said we need to go with a less aggressive pad but stogie said after using orange on compound if needed use orange with polish? please chime in..
Less aggressive applies to either the pad, the polish or (best case) both. Since you didn't have any less aggressive pads, I was just suggesting you work with what you have. If you have less aggressive pads AND less aggressive polish, cool!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Honestly, compounding may not be necessary.
Should be able to 1 step it with a diminishing abrasive medium polish, something like optimum polish/menzerna power finish/prima swirl with lc ccs orange or white should do the job.
Definitely start with the least aggressive and work your way up.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Zaino is definatly layerable. Only mix in enough ZFX that you will use in one session .. as it has a very short life.. like less than a day..

I use Black Wow on the cowling but not under the hood .. be very careful with it cuz if you get it on paint or glass its a PITA to get off.
This statement is so true...

I started off with Zaino...Loved it and spent several hundred a year with them...There is better out there for sure...But I found with Zaino its all about the layers...
Old 05-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ChrisJ
This statement is so true...

I started off with Zaino...Loved it and spent several hundred a year with them...There is better out there for sure...But I found with Zaino its all about the layers...
And more so the prep before the Zaino ... You can put 10 layers of Zaino on dog shit and just end up with shiney dog shit.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Less aggressive applies to either the pad, the polish or (best case) both. Since you didn't have any less aggressive pads, I was just suggesting you work with what you have. If you have less aggressive pads AND less aggressive polish, cool!
Got it Sorry for misunderstanding!

Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
Honestly, compounding may not be necessary.
Should be able to 1 step it with a diminishing abrasive medium polish, something like optimum polish/menzerna power finish/prima swirl with lc ccs orange or white should do the job.
Definitely start with the least aggressive and work your way up.
I think since its my first time detailing, I would go your way and not use the compound this time. I will start with the white pad and see if it accomplishes what I desire and move up to the orange pad if necessary .

Thanks again everyone! really appreciate the help. I will post pictures after I detail my car.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
And more so the prep before the Zaino ... You can put 10 layers of Zaino on dog shit and just end up with shiney dog shit.
I still remember my first time using ZFX...I actually just sold off all my Zaino stuff other then their leather conditioner and cleaner...It still works better then any other conditioner/cleaner other then leatherique...