Fine scratches from improper claying

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:05 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fine scratches from improper claying

A few weeks after I picked up my 2006 RBP TSX, I tried claying for the first time before using Zaino car wax. Due to my inexperience with claying and rushing the job, I left fine hair-sized scratches all over the paint. I didn't see these until I after I applied the Zaino wax. I don't think I penetrated the clear coat completely. Any recommendations for removing or minimizing the scratches?

Thanks much,
Ken
Old 03-11-2007, 01:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, a claybar is abrasive and when claying, use a lot of lube. You should not have to exert any pressure when using a claybar. On the initial pass, you will feel some resistance and after the 4th or 5th pass, the clay should just glide across the surface. As far as removing those fine scratches, you will have to use a polish like Z-PC or another product with a mild abrasive along with a PC and a polishing pad. To try and polish an entire vehicle by hand is not recommended.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
It may not be your inexperience that hurt you. As mentioned, clay is a abrasive by nature. If one expects clay to "marr" (light scratches) one would proceed with caution. I dont think your going to do a clayjob, without marring> i just expect it to happen. Then the marring is removed with the polishing steps.
One things Zaino doesnt spend a lot of time on is the surface prep (polishing). I wouldnt even think about "detailing" a car without this process.......
You can certainly clean a car by hand with a chemical polish, but actual polishing by hand with an abrasive, as stated, isnt really recommended when there is a viable option available to you....
Old 03-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Thats what I noticed about Zaino too is it never mentions prep ( polishing ) as a step .. leaving a newbie to think a few coats of Zaino will be wonderful and a cure all..

I think it was Scottwax that once said you can put 20 coats of Zaino on dog sh*t and what do you get ... shiney dog sh*t.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:21 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
The truth is that PRODUCT is not as important as vendors want you to believe. Although I will state Zaino is without equal, but PROCESS over PRODUCT;

The final result can only be as good as the surface it’s applied to. It really is all dependants upon; 85% preparation, 5% product, 7% application method and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder. (A detailer’s skill level is also extremely important)
Old 03-19-2007, 04:27 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kennethklee
A few weeks after I picked up my 2006 RBP TSX, I tried claying for the first time before using Zaino car wax. Due to my inexperience with claying and rushing the job, I left fine hair-sized scratches all over the paint. I didn't see these until I after I applied the Zaino wax. I don't think I penetrated the clear coat completely. Any recommendations for removing or minimizing the scratches?

Thanks much,
Ken
Surface scratching-
When automotive clay was first introduced there were reports of paint damage due to improper use. With education on correct application methodology this is no longer a problem Like most abrasive products you need to select the appropriate grade of clay and use the correct application methodology; I have only seen detailer’s clay cause marring or scratching on a paint surface due to the following;
(a) Using insufficient lubrication on the paint surface
(b) Too much hand pressure applied, try a 3-inch ‘flat pancake’ shape held between two fingers
(c) Trying to ‘clay’ too large an area (should be 2’ x 2’<)
(d) The ambient temperature is unsuitable; too cold (50oF <) and will not allow sufficient kneading of the clay bar to ensure a 'clean' surface, too hot (>75 oF) the lubrication dries out and the clay becomes unstable
(e) You drop the clay and pick up road dirt / grit.
(f) Read the manufacturers' directions for the number of uses of their clay bar. Do not over use a clay bar; expect approximately 5-10 uses from a single (8 oz.) bar
(g) To correct any surface marring / light scratching use a mild polish (Zaino PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover or Menzerna Final Polish II) using a White or an Orange LC pad, speed 5 – 6
(See also Detailer’s Clay Lubricant)
Old 03-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have some fine scratches on my hood as well after claying . I live in an apartment complex. Can anyone recommend a good mild polish to use by hand? Would it be something I can buy from Kragen or AutoZone?

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
The truth is that PRODUCT is not as important as vendors want you to believe. Although I will state Zaino is without equal, but PROCESS over PRODUCT;

The final result can only be as good as the surface it’s applied to. It really is all dependants upon; 85% preparation, 5% product, 7% application method and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder. (A detailer’s skill level is also extremely important)
Jon, Im going to be bold here and say products dont get enough attention. As an example, on todays detail, i went through several combinations, with identical processes. Without naming products, some definetely performed better then the others. Some details go better then others, due to proper product selection vs changing techniques up. I mean Ive been detailing for some time now, my technique is fairly straightforward and alligned. Its when I change products, that I notice the big difference.
In summary, I think that 85% prep, is successful only upon careful choosing of products. One can only be so good with mediocre products. Put a first time PC user with a polish from lets say Poorboys (Im not knocking PB's, just using it as an example), and same user with something parallel from 1Z or Optimum, your going to see a difference.
Please dont construe this as disrespectful or argumentative, its just an observation.