Finally No more Swirl Marks - Zaino Vs DyNa

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally No more Swirl Marks - Zaino Vs DyNa

Zaino is a great product but there a few things I dislike about the product.

1. Z-5 is supposed to "Hide" swirl marks but does not do a very good job at "hiding"

2. Z-2 and Z-5 need to be mixed with ZFX to cure the paint... Any unsed polish needs to be tossed after 12 hours. What a waste of polish.
After using the product for a while, you can figure out how much you need to use for your car.

3. For noobies it's a little hard to use because you don't know if you are applying the right amount and if it's going on correctly. I guess you learn as you keep using it but Zaino is not cheap!

Don't get me wrong, I"m not hating on Zaino...

My Car looks amazing with Zaino but I did want to compare with another product since Zaino is the only thing I've tried in my life. (I've been taking my old cars to car washes before I read this website )

I purchased products from Mike at Detailingdynamics who has been very helpful on this website with proper washing techniques.

I used this 3 Step Process -

1. Gloss Restore
2. Ultimate Cleaner
3. DyNa Brilliance

1. As you use the foam to apply the product - it starts to break down into dust - (Kinda like Zaino after you let it haze) I think this is much easier because you know when to stop and move on)

2. This Step actually removes swirl marks - I would say 95% of my swirl marks are gone! ... I use fluorescent lighting in my garage.

Finally my swirl marks are gone!! I've tried 3 coats of Z-5 and also Meguires Swirl Mark Remover without satisfaction!

3. Step #2 works the same way - product breaks down as you polish it into your car.

4. Step #3 - You apply the product with no pressure has allow it to haze and wipe it off.

Pictures will be up tomorrow hopefully...

By the way, I only applied DyNa in 2 Spots so I can really compare to Zaino -

Hood and a 2 sq ft spot on the left side of my car where I had noticable swril marks that bugged the crap out of me!

Zaino is a great product but I've found better... DyNa

Dec4 is Meguiar's car month - I'll have to test out their product on another part of my car to compare as well.

Old 11-13-2004, 09:42 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by OrangeCream
I used this 3 Step Process -

1. Gloss Restore
2. Ultimate Cleaner
3. DyNa Brilliance

1. As you use the foam to apply the product - it starts to break down into dust - (Kinda like Zaino after you let it haze) I think this is much easier because you know when to stop and move on)

2. This Step actually removes swirl marks - I would say 95% of my swirl marks are gone! ... I use fluorescent lighting in my garage.

Finally my swirl marks are gone!! I've tried 3 coats of Z-5 and also Meguires Swirl Mark Remover without satisfaction!

3. Step #2 works the same way - product breaks down as you polish it into your car.

4. Step #3 - You apply the product with no pressure has allow it to haze and wipe it off.
I guess your quest for the right product paid off?

Congrats

One question... Comment 1&2 refer to step #1 ?
Old 11-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Not that I don't believe you, but do me a favor, go and wash your car a few times in the next few weeks with your favorite car wash soap and then run the test again.

Did you apply #1 by hand or with a buffer. Since you didn't mention using a buffer my guess is the product you are testing has a ton of fillers in it, (not necessarily a bad thing) but basically the shortcut to actually removing swirls. Yes it looks great now, but after a few washes, it will be right back where you started.

BTW, Z5 is definitely not a swirl remover. It's more of a filler.

Sal is coming out with a true abrasive to remove swirls very soon.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:18 PM
All Hail the Chief

How soon? My NBP is itching for something like that!
Old 11-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Boy Genius

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Not that I don't believe you, but do me a favor, go and wash your car a few times in the next few weeks with your favorite car wash soap and then run the test again.

Did you apply #1 by hand or with a buffer. Since you didn't mention using a buffer my guess is the product you are testing has a ton of fillers in it, (not necessarily a bad thing) but basically the shortcut to actually removing swirls. Yes it looks great now, but after a few washes, it will be right back where you started.

The true measure of a product is not only in its ability to remove the swirls, but also it's longevity. It's not very practical for most people to reapply once a month or after every few car washes. I did try to run a search on autopia.org about Detailing Dynamics products but came up empty-handed, so I would be interested in seeing your ongoing review. Keep us posted!
Old 11-14-2004, 12:25 AM
Instructor

AsianRage - Yes Comments 1&2 refer to step#1 but Step#2 removes swirl marks as well so I'm not sure at what step the swirls were gone. It's probably a combination of both.
I'm very happy with the DyNa products so far but I'm open to try and test other products to compare.

NSXNEXT - I did apply by hand but seriously considering a buffer to save time.
No Clue what's in the product ... Mike will have to comment on that one.

I do not know how to tell how long a product lasts. The only thing I have been testing is how slick my car feels on my fingers.

Can a pressure washer strip off Zaino or any other product? I've been using a pressure washer on the lowest setting. With the lowest setting, it's not much stronger than the hose alone with a nozzle so I feel safe.
Anyways my car does not feel slick as it did when I first put Zaino on... 3 Coats over a period of 2 weeks and it's been on the car for 1 1/2 Months? My hood with DyNa feels as slick as a bowling lane....
Old 11-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by OrangeCream
NSXNEXT - I did apply by hand but seriously considering a buffer to save time.
No Clue what's in the product ... Mike will have to comment on that one.
I can almost guarantee you the product has a lot of fillers in it. No way you'd be able to remove all the swirls by hand.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:04 PM
Instructor

I've been washing my car every Saturday so I'll have to check again after the next few washes.
I"m a little scared of using a buffer - Is the porter cable 7424 for noobs?
Old 11-15-2004, 01:02 AM
Advanced

OrangeCream,

Thanks for the nice reviews. Also, a random orbital polisher is safe and ok to use by noobs. There is a sticky thread on one brand if you want to learn more. Rotary polishers are the ones to stay away.

The process is to go from more aggressive cut to less aggessive and both steps break down to a finer cut as it works and only going more aggressive if the less aggressive does not give you the results.

NSXNEXT,
The standard formula has no fillers, period. And our philosphy is to remove the swirls/spider webbing and imperfections vs. hiding them which most manufacturers say but proof is in the pudding as they say. Formula for black and dark cars will have very minimum filler to improve the depth & shine and fill the 10-15% of the spider webbing people will miss to make it more user friendly (if you own a dark car, you know how hard it is to remove 100% of all paint imperfections and if you don't believe that, pull your perfect dark car under halogen shop lamps, not just flourescents).

Washing the car correctly per my additional tip to the sticky thread from Exceldetail will prevent adding spider webbing and swirls and will test the filler content.

Regarding not being able to remove swirls by hand, I just want to let you know that you can remove as much by hand as you can with a orbital polisher but takes more time (since an orbital polisher is in essence your hand action but many many times faster). Most of the old timers at the major concours like the Pebble Beach Concours still remove paint imperfections by hand. Also, you can remove by hand a scratch faster than a orbital polisher will if you use the right technique with the same detailing chemicals.

lokman,
FYI, our products are not offered at any of the resellers at this point.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Mike,

Any chance you have the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for your products? I'd be interested to see the chemical composition.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:30 AM
Advanced

NSXNEXT,

PM me on your email address and I can send you the MSDS.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 11-16-2004, 01:54 PM
NBP and lovin it

when can we purchase your product mike, ive been trying to remove the spiderwebbin/swirl marks for months now.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Instructor

First off, I'm a super noob in the world of waxing. Last weekend I got my PC7424 and went to work. I used megs #9 for the massive swirling I had. It removed all of them with alot of work from the PC (could not have achieved this by hand). I could definitely tell the swirls were gone. Then I used Klasse AIO (2 coats) for smoothing things out. then I put on a coat of Pinnacle carnuba paste over the top. My car looked so wet!!

Just letting you know, dont be afraid of the Random Orbital....

I have before pics, but its been so damn cloudy here for over a week that I dont have after pics!!! they will appear in here eventually.

JG
Old 11-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkfox12
when can we purchase your product mike, ive been trying to remove the spiderwebbin/swirl marks for months now.
Go to Detailing Dynamics Online Store. It shows a product list and each item has a detailed description as well as directions.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:37 AM
Intermediate

I'd vouch for Detailing Dynamics products as well. I bought their wash kit, paint reconditioning kit, and tire treatment and have been extremely pleased with all aspects of their products and customer service. Easy to follow explanations for using their products and if you have any questions, Mike will answer your email promptly.