Engine Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Bagel Bomber

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine Detailing

Can anyone offer me steps on how to safely detail my engine. (1998 CL, not that it matters) List any products or tips would be greatly appreciated. I searched and was unable to find anything, hopefully this will turn into something we can FAQ.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me direct you to Autopia, specifically this thread from their "How To" library regarding Engine Detailing. Two other sources of info is David Bynon's article on engine detailing located at Better Car Care website and at OCD. Scroll down to Engine Detailing.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Bagel Bomber

Thanks for that resource. I thought i remember hearing something about Tire Foam being a detailers trick of the trade for this process, an you shed anylight on that??
Old 04-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only if you want it to look like some giant sneezed when you open the hood.

Seriously, I'm not much on the glossy underhood look, so take my comment with a grain of salt. The links provided are awesome.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Just to add, I would recommend staying away from simple green. I know some ppl have used it for engine detailing etc, but I read recently that ppl have found it to not be safe to use on cars because it can eat away at materials. I forget what specifically,.......rubber hoses or paint if you get it on your paint or something like that,.....I will go try to find out what specifically it was if I can this weekend. I forget where that was I was reading that. Ill get back to you on this one.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Bagel Bomber

so i guess covering everything in cans and cans of carb cleaner are out of the question??

joking...
Old 04-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Thriller

Originally Posted by West6MT
Just to add, I would recommend staying away from simple green. I know some ppl have used it for engine detailing etc, but I read recently that ppl have found it to not be safe to use on cars because it can eat away at materials. I forget what specifically,.......rubber hoses or paint if you get it on your paint or something like that,.....I will go try to find out what specifically it was if I can this weekend. I forget where that was I was reading that. Ill get back to you on this one.
I bought the Simple Green Auto but haven't used it yet. There's the regular Simple Green which I wouldn't use anywhere near my car.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by West6MT
This is a good point. Regular simple green un-diluted is *very* strong. I wouldn't use it on any part of my car. However, Simple Green Auto properly diluted is a great APC and works really well in engines.

Some folks use tire foam/tire cleaners. Again, I'd make sure to use the lighter duty versions of these if you do - if it isn't safe for clear-coated wheels, it probably doesn't belong in your engine.

Personally, I cover up the intake or any esposed electrics, spray down with an APC (megs apc, diluted simple green auto, etc...), agitate any tough areas with an old mitt, then spray down with a light mist. Cheers.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Thriller

Originally Posted by JackieO
This is a good point. Regular simple green un-diluted is *very* strong. I wouldn't use it on any part of my car. However, Simple Green Auto properly diluted is a great APC and works really well in engines.

Some folks use tire foam/tire cleaners. Again, I'd make sure to use the lighter duty versions of these if you do - if it isn't safe for clear-coated wheels, it probably doesn't belong in your engine.

Personally, I cover up the intake or any esposed electrics, spray down with an APC (megs apc, diluted simple green auto, etc...), agitate any tough areas with an old mitt, then spray down with a light mist. Cheers.
I haven't read the instructions on Simple Green Auto...that has to be diluted??
Old 04-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Another trick to help you with engine compartment cleaning it the use of compressed air and a nozzle extension. It’s amazing how much dust and crud accumulates in the nooks and crannies. A good blast of air and you will see for yourself. I do this about every six months or so to keep stuff from building up. It also make wet cleaning easier once the loose stuff is removed.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YOTH
I haven't read the instructions on Simple Green Auto...that has to be diluted??
Sorry, I didn't see this post originally. No, the auto version is ok at full strength, but it is still pretty strong so I like to dilute it 2 or 3:1 just to save product.