Discolored Leather, help w/cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Discolored Leather, help w/cleaning

Okay guys for the most part I have just wiped down the leather with a damp microfiber towel. Occasionally I would use Lexyol Cleaner and Conditioner.

Well my problem is now after about 3 years of use, the Tan leather is looking a little discolored from, I'm assuming, the dyes of our cloths being transferred to the leather.

Lexyol won't get out the discoloration. What would work?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Megs APC+ works wonders. Dilute it a bunch, obviously.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Use a good leather-brush (you'd be surprised at the difference in how you leather looks!) and a good cleaner. I do a 3-4 Step cleaning. First a quick vacuum of the leather, then a scrubbing with Woolite Water solution (1:10 woolite to water) and then a wipe-down with water, then a cleaning with Leatherique Pristine Clean.

The pristine clean alone will restore the color of the leather! I used that by itself on my quartz leather in my TL and the difference was amazing. Lexol naturally darkens leather, pristine clean got that darkening right out!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Pictures of said discolor spots would be nice, but from what I've gathered (I'm no expert on leather cleaning), leatherique prestine clean is more of a maintenance cleaner. Leather masters strong cleaner is probably what you need, here is a pic i borrowed from a leather master's strong cleaner review:
Old 11-19-2010, 05:32 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
CU2MIKE

Cleaning

Remove surface dirt and dust, cleaning the seams periodically is important as dirt / grit will abrade the stitching causing them to fail, prise them apart, then use a soft brush, vacuum and then use a foam cleaner, one section at a time, and then finally wipe off with a clean, damp micro fibre towel.

The advantage of foam over liquid is the minimum amount of moisture, very important for cleaning absorbent and moisture sensitive (Aniline, including perforated) Nubuck, etc) leathers. Leather Master™ Foam Cleaner is an aerosol version of Leather Master™ Strong Cleaner is a solvent free pump action product, which is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains.

• Always pre-test the product on a hidden area. Shake the foam container thoroughly. Spray the product at a distance of 12 inches from the leather to one section at a time, and allow product to remain in place for approximately 15 to 30 seconds.

• Foam contains a surfactant that will lift dirt and soil. Then gently agitate surface with the sponge, rinsing frequently and adding more product as required. For heavily soiled areas, or where the leather has become ingrained such as in creases in the leather, a soft brush can be used to agitate and loosen the dirt.

• Remove excess product and debris with a clean, damp micro fibre towel. If the foam is allowed to dry the soil will be re-deposited to the surface. Check the results and repeat process as necessary

Leather Master™ - Protection Cream (a Scotchgard™ type product specifically formulated for lather) Restores moisture to finished leather and provides a protective barrier against every kind of soiling, water, oil, alcohol-based stains and perspiration marks.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
Pictures of said discolor spots would be nice, but from what I've gathered (I'm no expert on leather cleaning), leatherique prestine clean is more of a maintenance cleaner. Leather masters strong cleaner is probably what you need, here is a pic i borrowed from a leather master's strong cleaner review:
My wife has her car at work so I can't get a picture of it, but I would say that this picture would be a good comparison of it. Even though the "dirty" coloring has just a slight touch of blue to it.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chayos00
My wife has her car at work so I can't get a picture of it, but I would say that this picture would be a good comparison of it. Even though the "dirty" coloring has just a slight touch of blue to it.
The light touch of blue is probably from her clothing (Jeans would be my guess), try leather masters, it is on the expensive side, but safe to use (Water based product). I'd stay away from cleaners that are acid/petroleum/solvent, etc etc... based. Even though most leather seats are coated with polyurethane, you never know what these types of cleaners would do to the coatings.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Racer

http://www.auto-geek.net/VIP-emails/...-11-19-10.html

Just in time for a decision.

Leather Master Strong Leather Care Kit

Powerful cleaning for leather seats!

Retail Value $44.99
Sale $34.99
Old 11-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I saw that too lol
Old 11-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Racer

Well I was too slow at buying the Leather Masters Strong cleaning kit. So I bought some Woolite detergent and went to town on the Leather. I gave it a scrubbing with Woolite Water solution (1:4 woolite to water) and then a wipe-down with water. I'm going to follow it up with my Lexol Conditioner and see how it looks. Sorry i forgot to get some before shots, but I can definitely see the difference, plus if you saw how nasty my woolite solution looked after I was done that would of just spoken for itself.