Detailer HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:44 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailer HELP!

Hello All,

My 07 CGP TSX desperately needs to be detailed. Since I don't have a ton of detailing experience, I've been looking around and researching who is good in my area (Chicago area). Anyway's, I came across, Jasonsautospa (that's the site), and was looking at a Stage IV package. This would run me $299 plus CCR (Clear Coat Restoration). I've heard taht this guy is pretty good, but I am not sure if that is pretty reasonable for what he's offering. If someone could take a look at his site and let me know their thoughts, that would be great!

Thanks much!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
To be honest with you ... he is over priced concidering he doesn't seem to offer a polishing out package at all .. just wet sanding.

Zaino isn't the gods gift save all and if applied over non-prepped paint all your getting is shiny swirls. So for $299 its not worth it at all.

Another point .. he uses a water blade which can & will induce marring.

Wet sanding at $65/hour will prolly double your price and if you don't do that or a polishing step like I said above your cars surface isn't going to look a lot different .. just shinier.

Find a detailier that will polish out the majority of the swirling .. use no glazes and apply a good sealant.

He might be good but for the average joe without a huge disposable income I think he is out of the range.

If you don't get any clear restoration done your wasting your money .. buy your own Zaino and put it on.

You will also nitice a gret portion are show cars and won't get a lot of every day use.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He looks like a top notch detailer and does excellent work. As long as you are willing to pay the money then you will def be happy with the outcome. Just be prepared to hand wash your car after he polishes it for you otherwise it is all for naught! You will put those horrible swirls right back in the clearcoat if you do not know how to properly care for your paint work. Good Luck! Post some before and after pics for us!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Pro

Thanks guys. I think that I might just go to a local reputable car wash and have them do it. My work hours are crazy, and honestly, I don't have the time to hand wash the car ALL of the time. I'm thinking that I would be looking at 350+ after the CCR, and I'm just not sure I want to spend that kind of money to have it all messed up a few weeks later I will keep you all posted though!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Pro

Hey guys,

Well, I went and took a look at the local reputable car wash. The place is called Park Place Hand Car Wash. "The Ultimate Car Wash Experience" Anyway's, they offer the following as far as detailing goes.

Level 2

For vehicles requiring minior paint corrections.

This is a 2 step process.

1st step removes light hairling scratches and minor oxidation
2nd polishing step restores paint finish and critical oils
All plastic areas conditions - Door and trunk jambs cleaned
Tires, wheels, and wheel wells cleaned and dressed by hand
Exterior windows cleaned

With Caranuba Wax (3 month) $120
With Final Seal (6 month) $140

Level 3

Recommended for owners desiring the ultimate in detailing service. This is a 3 step process.

1st step removes deep hairline scratches and heavy oxidation.
2nd step corrects and restores the vehicle's paint to its original brightness
3rd polishing step restores paint finish and critical oils
All plastic areas conditioned - Door and trunk jambs cleaned
Tires, wheels, and wheel wells cleaned and dressed by hand
Exterior Windows Cleaned

With Caranuba wax (3 month) $140
With Final Seal (6 month) $160

I think that I might just go with one of those instead. Since my car is a daily driver, it's bound to run into more swirls. What do you guys think of those 2 packages above? I was thinking Level 2 would probably suffice, and would save me quite a bit compared to $350+.

Lastly, how much shinner will a car be with Caranuba wax vs. the Final Seal stuff? I was thinking I would do the Final Seal so that I have longer protection. Any thoughts?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Carnuba has a low temp melting point of about 100 degrees F
Sythetic waxes hold up to 200 or so.
Carnuba last 3 months if you are lucky, Synthetics 3-5 months
use synthetic on the rims too- insode and out- cuts down on brake dust issue

Look in Off Topic- Wash and Wax
see thread by members on their detail jobs with pics
Check out zine sponsor ExcelDetail, www.exceldetail.com for FAQ and good advice.
Just reading the product info will educate you to whats good for your car.

I used a UDM and Optimum products to get the swirls and bad stuff out on my 01, then followed with a new liquid spray wax that blends carnuba and synthetic together in one easy use spray. I was sceptical but the reults were worth it
Old 03-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Carnuba has a low temp melting point of about 100 degrees F
Sythetic waxes hold up to 200 or so.
Carnuba last 3 months if you are lucky, Synthetics 3-5 months.........
I used a UDM and Optimum products to get the swirls and bad stuff out on my 01, then followed with a new liquid spray wax that blends carnuba and synthetic together in one easy use spray. I was sceptical but the reults were worth it.....
Let me elaborate..
Nubas melt around 150 good for about 3-5 weeks.......Synthetics are off the chart temp wise, and good for 3 months will proper upkeep.
Of course anything with proper upkeep will last much longer.
Congrats on tackling it yourself 01tl4tl!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:25 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by JLTSX07
Thanks guys. I think that I might just go to a local reputable car wash and have them do it. My work hours are crazy, and honestly, I don't have the time to hand wash the car ALL of the time.

It's not that difficult or time consuming to properly wash your car after they do the full detail