Could use some product advice, if you're willing

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Could use some product advice, if you're willing

As I haven't been able to touch my car in a couple weeks, naturally, I'm beginning to itch. And, while I'm at work, one way to scratch is to look for new or different products where I might be deficient.

I'm looking at getting a 7424XP before the year is out, and if I'm not overly deficient, then that will happen sooner. As such, I know I don't have anything for that, even any cutting polish. So recommendations for that would be appreciative as well.

My goals are as such: clean, maintain, remove swirls, fill chips and the scuffs on the A-spec kit I posted a week ago. Here's what I have:

Optimum: NRWS, ID&GE, Spray Wax, PoliSeal
Duragloss 105
Folex
Mother's Cali Gold Wash
Megs APC
Einzett Gummi Pflege
Black Magic Titanium Matte Tire
Mothers Back to Black
One bar remaining of the Mothers Showtime clay kit

2 gal sprayer
wheel brush (Harbor Freight special, haven't tried yet)
assorted MF, sheepskin

I haven't tried the PoliSeal, and am honestly not sure how (not practice, theory) to use it. I'm extremely happy with all the Optimum products, with possibly an exception to the Spray Wax. Not that I'm not happy with it, I guess it works fine. I just don't know. I'm not too happy with the Back to Black (streaking), but that may be user error.

I'm looking for new recommendations for wash (when I feel like doing more than just ONR), wax, polish and sealant, should you disagree with what I have.

Any recommendations in general, or specific, would help me out. I also detail a 2002 Mojave Mist Metallic CR-V, a 2003 Dark Garnet Red Pearl Durango, and a 2009 Satin Silver Metallic CR-V (only washed thus far). The 2002 CR-V is in actually REALLY good shape for going to swirl-o-whirls for it's entire life, and the Durango needs just a little bit of work to remove some entrenched water spots - nothing a machine shouldn't handle. Otherwise, paint is in really good shape on all of them.

Oh yeah - OTC, online, specific product lines...I only have allegiance to what works best for a reasonable price.

Last edited by CocheseUGA; 08-04-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Banned

Especially looking for what I need to get along with the PC, as I may splurge and get it in order to spend a day next week doing some swirl correction.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
I was actually pleasantly surprised with the PoliSeal for a 1 step, if you're looking to remove swirls/scratches you will need an orange pad and some compound, a very popular choice on here is mezerna SIP
Old 08-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Banned

I was reading that might be more suited to harder paints/clears than what we have. I dunno, though.

I wonder where Megs 105/205 comes in. I see a TON of people using this for correction, and am leaning that way as well.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Megs 105/205 appears to be the flavor of the month, or getting the most attention. Be wary of fillers though with whatever you use.....

Last edited by exceldetail; 08-05-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Banned

After reading the chart that AG put up, it looks like they rate SIP as being less abrasive than 105.

Hmm...I'm so confused now. Also considering the Opt Polish and Finish Polish, since I've been so happy with Optimum.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
After reading the chart that AG put up, it looks like they rate SIP as being less abrasive than 105.

Hmm...I'm so confused now. Also considering the Opt Polish and Finish Polish, since I've been so happy with Optimum.
i love me some opt polish and compound!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Banned

Here's another question - pad size. Why is there such a difference in opinion over this?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
Different strokes for different folks, the 4" pad is said to have more grip and teeth when cutting, I haven't tried 4" yet but have been happy with larger pads
Old 08-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using 4" pads they seem easier to work with. It does take longer though! I used the OPT Polish II and it worked great on my TL, I didnt have many swirl marks though. I got the Men SIP haven't tried it yet will be using that next week on another TL I have to do.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Racer

Pad size to me came down to a thread at a different forum that really broke it down to how much more the pad works for you in the smaller size with the lesser amount of surface area to bog down the machine (I use a G110) so that the cutting level of the pad and polish being used can be more of a benefit to you instead of trying to get a larger area done at a time. Now I understand though that alot of people using a rotary like the 6.5 " pads still b/c of the power that the rotary has already and therefore not affected as much by the pad size selected.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:40 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
On a R/O the smaller the pad size, the greater the cutting ability. On a rotary it is just the opposite because the larger the pad, the higher the speeds at the outer edge, and more heat generated. Having said that though, I have done some heavy correction with a PC and a 6.5" pad with the proper polishes and techniques.

105 has significantly more cut than SIP. Unless your paint is in really bad condition though, you shouldn't need that much cut and you don't want to remove any more clear than is necessary (hence the importance of using the least aggressive method first). 105/205 is an incredible combo, but it does have quite a bit of a learning curve to get it right.

When I need more than a light cut on Honda paint, I always reach for SIP, and follow it up with 106FA or PO85RD depending on the conditions. Yes Menzerna is more expensive, and it can be finicky in high heat and humidity, but they're tremendous polishes. If you don't need quite as much cut, and you want it to finish down nicely for a one-step polish then I'd recommend Menzerna PO203S.

If you just need something very light, then Poli-Seal is always one of my favorites.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TSC17
On a R/O the smaller the pad size, the greater the cutting ability. On a rotary it is just the opposite because the larger the pad, the higher the speeds at the outer edge, and more heat generated. Having said that though, I have done some heavy correction with a PC and a 6.5" pad with the proper polishes and techniques.

105 has significantly more cut than SIP. Unless your paint is in really bad condition though, you shouldn't need that much cut and you don't want to remove any more clear than is necessary (hence the importance of using the least aggressive method first). 105/205 is an incredible combo, but it does have quite a bit of a learning curve to get it right.

When I need more than a light cut on Honda paint, I always reach for SIP, and follow it up with 106FA or PO85RD depending on the conditions. Yes Menzerna is more expensive, and it can be finicky in high heat and humidity, but they're tremendous polishes. If you don't need quite as much cut, and you want it to finish down nicely for a one-step polish then I'd recommend Menzerna PO203S.

If you just need something very light, then Poli-Seal is always one of my favorites.
Something I'm taking to heart. Which is why I'm going to bypass the 105 for now. The SIP is cost-prohibitive at this point.

How much of a polish would you say you use on the TL? I already have 4oz of the PoliSeal, but that may not be enough. High heat and humidity are staples here, so ease of use is also a factor.

I'm considering going with a 6-pack of pads from Autogeek (or other, if the price can be beat). I know I want two orange and two grey. What else?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Advanced

I would get a couple white pads too.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Something I'm taking to heart. Which is why I'm going to bypass the 105 for now. The SIP is cost-prohibitive at this point.

How much of a polish would you say you use on the TL? I already have 4oz of the PoliSeal, but that may not be enough. High heat and humidity are staples here, so ease of use is also a factor.

I'm considering going with a 6-pack of pads from Autogeek (or other, if the price can be beat). I know I want two orange and two grey. What else?
For Poli-seal, a little goes a very long way! If you used 4oz for one polishing session, then you'd be using way, way too much. Just 2 or 3 small drops per section is all you need.

Optimum Polish II is also very user friendly, and has quite a bit more cut than Poli-Seal, but less than SIP. You can't go wrong with it.

You definitely want white pads, as those will be your main ones. Get in touch with George at DI on a kit price. Also look at his special for the weekend...10% off plus a free bottle of clay lube.