Confused Over What to Use....

Old 08-19-2006, 08:05 AM
BRH
BRH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused Over What to Use....

Gentlemen,

Since getting my TSX 7 months ago, I've accumulated lost of different car-care products. Now, I'm ready to give the car its second wax job, and I'm looking for advice on which products to use in what order.

These are the products that I have (in no particular order):

Mother's California Gold Pre-Wax Cleaner (Phase One)
Poorboy's Natty's Blue Wax
Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax
Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish (Step 2)
Mother's Reflections Car Wax (High Gloss Liquid Polymer)
Poorboy's Spray & Wipe
Poorboy's QW+
Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash

My TSX is a Deep Green Pearl (if that matters), and I want to give it a wet-look shine. Unfortunately, I don't have the time nor the inclination to clay, so you can assume that I defeinitely won't be doing that step. Some things to consider are that I own a PC and the Sonus Pad kit, and that I most likely will have to be doing this in the sun. (There is very little shade where I live, and I don't own a garage.....)

If it matters, the first wax job (last spring) was a) Mother's Pre-wax cleaner (to remove a few swirls), then b) Mother's Reflections Car Wax, then (a few weeks later) Natty's Blue as the top coat.

Do I need to strip off all of that stuff first? If so, how do I do that?

Any advice on which products to use, in what order (with advice on whether/when to use the PC and at what speed) would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BRH
Gentlemen,

Since getting my TSX 7 months ago, I've accumulated lost of different car-care products. Now, I'm ready to give the car its second wax job, and I'm looking for advice on which products to use in what order.

These are the products that I have (in no particular order):

Mother's California Gold Pre-Wax Cleaner (Phase One)
Poorboy's Natty's Blue Wax
Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax
Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish (Step 2)
Mother's Reflections Car Wax (High Gloss Liquid Polymer)
Poorboy's Spray & Wipe
Poorboy's QW+
Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash

My TSX is a Deep Green Pearl (if that matters), and I want to give it a wet-look shine. Unfortunately, I don't have the time nor the inclination to clay, so you can assume that I defeinitely won't be doing that step. Some things to consider are that I own a PC and the Sonus Pad kit, and that I most likely will have to be doing this in the sun. (There is very little shade where I live, and I don't own a garage.....)

If it matters, the first wax job (last spring) was a) Mother's Pre-wax cleaner (to remove a few swirls), then b) Mother's Reflections Car Wax, then (a few weeks later) Natty's Blue as the top coat.

Do I need to strip off all of that stuff first? If so, how do I do that?

Any advice on which products to use, in what order (with advice on whether/when to use the PC and at what speed) would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
1. Wash
2. Consider claying
3. Mother Pre Wax Cleaner with Green pad (to remove fallout and other contaminants)
4. Mothers Reflections with Blue/Grey Pad
5. Nattys Blue with foam applicator
Acomplish the sealant and wax withing 24 hrs of each other.....Do not wait one week...
Old 08-19-2006, 10:26 AM
BRH
BRH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Exceldetail, for the quick reply.

One detail that I forgot to mention was that my car has an Autobahnd clear bra installed. Would that change your thinking about what you suggested?

The clear bra got scuffed/smudged when I used Tarminator on it. (You might recall a previous thread that you responded to me.....) Those smudges (at least most of them) came out nicely by using the Megs Gold Class Liquid wax on it with the PC. (This was suggested by the Autobahnd installer.) So, I was pretty impressed with the Megs.

Any thoughts on substituting the Megs for the Natty's, or should I limit the use of the Megs to the clear bar areas?

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2006, 10:43 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Quote: …I don't have the time nor the inclination to clay,”

Acid rain, water and car wash concentrate will wash away the loose particles but not the embedded pollution. The sun acts as a catalyst to help these paint-toxic pollutants penetrate and destroy your paint film surface. Regardless of how clean you think your paint is there are still contaminants stuck on the paint that you need to remove / neutralize (See also Decontamination and Reactivity) before pre-wax cleaning, polishing or applying a protection to your paint

Using detailers clay is well worth the time invested
Old 08-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second for claying - removes imbedded contaminants and well worth the time as Jon stated, but your choice. As far as decontamination - check here for more info. Now that you cleaned the smudges from the PPF, I would highly recommend Mothers Reflection (longevity and durability) topped with Nattys (deeper shine). Works just as well on the PPF as it does on the base paint.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
for claying my tl, it probably took me 30 minutes, and it was my first time. Claying my MDX also took 30 minutes, and it was my second time. It doesn't take to long if you have everything you need.