cold weather wash

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold weather wash

Here in Atlanta during the winter months I need to wash about every 2nd or 3rd day if I want it to stay clean. Here's my problem, albeit minor, I always hand wash in my driveway and there are many times when it's only about 40 degrees or so. My hands get really cold. I use hot water which helps but I'm wondering if anyone has invented some sort of heated mitt or heat unit to keep the water warm? I've put jersey gloves under big plastic gloves and that helps but there has to be a better way. Suggestions? Inventors, here's opportunity knocking.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I use to carry Pure Australian Sheepskin Washmits that had a chemical resistant glove velcroed to the inside. This would alliviate hand contact with water. Quit carrying them a yr or so ago.....
Old 03-02-2005, 06:32 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you tried a 'semi-waterless' wash system, quick easy wash (QEW)

Wash a section at a time then towel or use a California Water Blade to squeegee dry. Quick & Easy Wash is non-abrasive; it safely loosens and lifts dirt eliminating the need to use a water hose. Wash a section at a time then just chamois, towel or squeegee dry.

Quick & Easy Wash:
Protectalls Quick & Easy Wash is non-abrasive; it safely loosens, then dirt-encapsulating ingredients will lift the dirt from the surface eliminating the need to use a water hose. QEW is as effective as a regular wash, whenever there is a water shortage, cold weather washing, as it takes less time, or a water hose is not available (condominiums, car shows, etc)

It contains a non-foaming surfactants [: a surface-active substance], which forms a very close bond to the surface and by chemical and/or electrostatic action between the dirt or hydrocarbon solids (which covers most of the soils found on a vehicle) These solids are encapsulated by the surfactants in the washing media (wash mitt /towel) once this media is agitated in the rinse water the solids are released.

Application Methodology:
·Mix 2oz of QEW thoroughly in the wash bucket.
·Work from the top down (i.e. cleaner to dirtier surfaces)
·After saturating mitt, wash one panel at a time, wiping in the one direction only, and no circular movements.
·Use a Microfiber waffle weave towel, rinse in warm, clean water and wring out as much moisture as possible, fold the towel in half and then half again
·Dry panel with towel while allowing the first mitt to soak in wash solution and proceed to the next panel.
·Alternate mitts ensuring that they are rinsed toughly and wrung out before placing them in wash solution (this will avoid dilution of solution)
·Work your way around vehicle until all panels have been cleaned / dried
·Clean glass surfaces by using a damp Microfiber glass cloth on both inside and exterior surfaces.

b) If your car is very dirty use a higher concentrate of QEW solution (2.5-3.0oz)
·After soaking mitt in solution, put solution into a spray bottle, spray panel with QEW
·Let panels soak before using the method outlined above
·Change water as often as is necessary (dependant upon need/availability)

QEW dries clear but for a just detailed look, once washing / drying has been completed spray panel with a quick detailing spray with a clean damp towel and finally buff with a Microfiber buffing towel.

Notes:
1. QEW is as effective as a regular wash, whenever there is a water shortage, cold weather washing, as it takes less time, or a water hose is not available (condominiums, car shows, etc).
2. However careful you are, washing your car introduces swirls and micro scratches, to minimize them always wipe in one direction only, avoid circular movements
Thoroughly rinse wash mitt and change water as necessary, do not let QEW dry on the surfaces, as it will `water spot'.
JonM
Old 03-02-2005, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

I have one of these from Griots . It's kinda pricey for a mitt, but the interior rubber glove is pretty thick and keeps my hands warm enough to deal with the cold weather. I also use regular dishwashing gloves inside mitts, but they're not as thick.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Advanced

where can you get the QEW formula?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by trialsman
Here in Atlanta during the winter months I need to wash about every 2nd or 3rd day if I want it to stay clean. Here's my problem, albeit minor, I always hand wash in my driveway and there are many times when it's only about 40 degrees or so. My hands get really cold. I use hot water which helps but I'm wondering if anyone has invented some sort of heated mitt or heat unit to keep the water warm? I've put jersey gloves under big plastic gloves and that helps but there has to be a better way. Suggestions? Inventors, here's opportunity knocking.
Wash inside. It's much warmer, and you won't shock the neighbors.

( couldn't resist )
Old 03-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dgunsuh
where can you get the QEW formula?
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...46&prodID=1545

Hope this helps
Old 03-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

thanks for replys so far. You're right about the neighbors. They just shake their heads in disbelief, especially when I'm out there after dark. They just can't relate to the fact that when you washed vehicles hundreds, perhaps thousands, of times that being able to SEE what you're doing is not necessarily that important.