Clear bra & orange bug stain

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006 | 10:40 AM
Drifting

Clear bra & orange bug stain

For some reason, this is the only bug stain that I cannot get off with soap and water. I don't know if its one bug in particular or not but its orangish. I do not want to put anything harsh on the bra yet so I figured I'd ask if anyone else has had the same problem. I've polished the bra but the orange stains will not come out. Any suggestions?
Old 08-23-2006 | 12:20 PM
Intermediate

I had a similair problem with bugs. I actually 'scrubbed' too hard and damaged the bra. However when I broguht the car in and the clear bra installers looked at it, they too could not remove the bugs. So the ended up replacing some parts of the bra! So I would say bring it on.

They also suggested using cleaners such as Plexus to clean the bra or a citrus based cleaner for future reference.
Old 08-23-2006 | 01:35 PM
Drifting

Werd, thanks for the info. My bra was dealer installed and is the autobahn roadblock. I'd say you can't really see them at a glance, only 3 spots at the moment, but I have a feeling there will be more. I'll have to try something citrus based. The dealer told me the bra had a lifetime warranty against tears, discoloration etc.
Old 08-23-2006 | 01:55 PM
Intermediate

Mine was also dealer installed autobahnd. They have been very good to me so far, but the warrenty is under the condition that you treat the bra as you would a 'clear cloat'.

Last time I was in they said they advise against using any type of abbrasive on the bra, jsut use a cirtus cleaner or plexus, and then a wax like Ps21. No paint cleaners or polishes.

May also want to try claying with a fine detail clay bar.

Aside from that, I have begun cleaning the bra weekly if not bi weekly. It seems bugs do tend to stick to the bra, especially if you have the material on the side view mirros. Good luck keeping it clean
Old 08-23-2006 | 03:48 PM
Drifting

My installer recommended I clean the bra once a month and he said use liquid glass. I don't know if thats a good thing or bad thing compared to the instructions you were given. Funny how the recommendations vary. Damn dealers.

Either way, I do treat it well and my car is garage kept. I even go as far as wiping off the bugs most every day i drive the car and I wash it once a week. I typically use warm water and an all cotton cloth to clean the bugs off when i get home from work.
Old 08-24-2006 | 11:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rza49311
For some reason, this is the only bug stain that I cannot get off with soap and water. I don't know if its one bug in particular or not but its orangish. I do not want to put anything harsh on the bra yet so I figured I'd ask if anyone else has had the same problem. I've polished the bra but the orange stains will not come out. Any suggestions?
i had the same problem as you...i had the orange stain after cleaning bugs off the clearbra...somehow after a couple of car washes they went away... i still get them but not as much since i keep a microfiber cloth and water/spray bottle in the trunk..i spray & wipe the bugs off usually when i get to wherever i go...it gets hot here where i am so if the bugs are left on even for just a day... it can really bake on the clearbra...also i bought this..http://www.meguiars.com/?clear-plast...Cleaner-Polish
reccomended to me by my installer...

Last edited by drigo; 08-24-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2006 | 07:03 PM
Tormented by mod choices

Question for you clear bra owners:

Any issues with dirt becoming lodged under the bra at the edges and acting like sandpaper and scratching up the paint?
Old 08-28-2006 | 07:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by steeveage
Question for you clear bra owners:

Any issues with dirt becoming lodged under the bra at the edges and acting like sandpaper and scratching up the paint?

I've had my clear bra for almost 4 months and no signs of anything yet. I'll tell you though, when i polish it...its a b#tch to get the polish off the edges

all in all though, i'm very glad i got it.
Old 08-28-2006 | 07:44 PM
Safety Car

Dab a q-tip in some isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and run it along the edge to remove any residuals. Another trick is to use painters tape before any detailing and use a spray wax/sealant (UPPS,OCW) to protect that small area after the tape is removed.
Old 05-30-2007 | 11:57 AM
Drifting

I ressurected this thread as a follow-up to my OP and give some info to current/potential clear bra owners. The orange stains seem to go away after several washes. I get new stains from time to time but a few washes later they go away. I polish the bra once a month also per the installers recommendation. My car is garage kept as well.

Another thing i've noticed is how much just good ol water gets bugs off your car. I don't use any chemicals on the bra, just soap/water/microfiber scrub pad(gently). If my car is coated with bugs I spray it down good with water using the stream not spray. Then let that sit for a minute or two, work on another portion of the car, then go back and do it again. After the third time, most all of the major bug guts are gone
Old 05-30-2007 | 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Treat PPF with 303...........
Old 05-30-2007 | 03:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Treat PPF with 303...........
i have no idea what you just said.

but I would like to, so dumb it down for me please
Old 05-30-2007 | 04:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rza49311
i have no idea what you just said.

but I would like to, so dumb it down for me please
PPF = Paint Protection Film or commonly known as clearbra
303 = Aerospace 303 Protectant, an outstanding product and a forum favorite
Old 05-31-2007 | 12:12 PM
Pro

I have oranges stains as we speak. I had them in the past also. Best solution is to give it a nice wash or clean that area, and leave it out in the sun which the orange spot disappears. Sounds crazy but it works. I usually keep several coats of Zaino on the bra so it's slick.

I will have my clear bra (autobahn) for almost 2 years on my 05 TL. I recently had my hood peice extended since a huge rock chip hit the top part of the hood near the fender a few weeks ago. I had to repaint it and had him install the extended hood peice for free Now I need the 2 fenders to match up with the hood and I hope it will get done next week. He's a very busy guy. It's funny how it's all uneven, but I rather have that than a rock chip.

As for cleaning the edges of the clear bra. I use a tooth brush (carefully) or I use an AIO like Z-AIO to clean it so it looks invisible.

YAY!!! Finally.. my 300th Post!
Old 05-05-2008 | 11:30 AM
1st Gear

I have these as well. My car is always garage kept.

Are you guys saying to pull the car out in the sun and let it sit there? This is the only way to get them off? I've tried everything else, but they won't come off manually.

Orange specs/stains