Cleaning Products & Care for New TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 07:17 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Products & Care for New TL

I've read some posts that talk about not sending the TL through automatic
car washes and using special products to wash the car.

I have always relied on car washes to keep my cars clean. However, I have
never spent this much money on a car so I want to make sure that I take care of it properly.

If anyone could provide a list of products and where I can get them, I would
really appreciate it. Also, are there any special cleaning/waxing routines
that I should follow?
Old 05-31-2004, 09:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kbstreet

never spent this much money on a car so I want to make sure that I take care of it properly.

that I should follow?
KB, let me suggest a few items, normally found at your local auto parts store....And yes, you need to stay away from the car washes, even if there so called brushless.......
1.Auto car wash, maybe Armor All, Gold Class, any reputable product that says safe for clear coat or will not strip wax...
2. Sheepskin washmitt, for gentle washing...
3. Quality micro fiber towels, for scratch free product removal and quick detailing.....
4. Quality waffle weave microfibers for scratch free drying after washes....
5. A quick detailer, Mothers Showtime, or Megs Quick Detailer...

There are better products available online if you care to shop online.....

Make sure you wash weekly or every two weeks, use a good polymer monthly, or carnauba twice monthly.....Quick detail any bird droppings immediately, and between washes to keep her looking clean....
Heres a post I did for Mach 1 owners on another forum I belong too, on washing....

I thought i would start a thread entitled Proper Washing Methods. I ve been reading some threads on other forums, its amazing what and how people wash there cars! So lets get started: The first thing you would like to do is pick a shaded area, this will help in permitting water spotting later. Items you will need for this venture are : 2 buckets, car wash, sheepskin mitt or microfiber mitt/towels, waffle weave drying towel, wheel brush, hose nozzle, a safe wheel cleaner, maybe some tire cleaner. Some folks like to clean wheels first, so I wont get into the particulars of that, its fairly easy, and basic. Apply a safe wheel cleaner, to one wheel at a time, clean with brush or suitable cleaning tool, rinse, continue to the next. lol
While your car is cool, and hopefully in the shade, start hosing the surface off with a high stream of water, start at the top so dirt and contaminants fall over non rinsed areas. Make sure to use a good stream to any side moldings and emblems, you will be amazed at the quantity of dirt hiding in there.
Continue to do this until the entire surface has been rinsed. Remember, top to bottom.....Next add a couple oz of car wash soap to bucket #1, and fill with water, add water to bucket #2. With the sheepskin in hand, or whatever youve selected to wash with, gently wipe the surface with suds from a front to back motion, again, your starting at the roof area, then trunk, then hood, then sides. Depending on your speed, and if it is warm and dry out, you may need to rinse each panel after washing, until you have completed the car. Keep your cars surface wet until your completely finished. When you find the need to redip your sheepskin in the suds, rinse it out in bucket #2, this will remove dirt and contaminants from possibly further scratching the surface. (Your going to want to make sure you have plenty of soap (lubricant) on your sheepskin all the while washing, this will help to suspend the dirt, and let it be carried off during the rinse.)Use that method throughout your washing. After the vehicle is completely finished, remove the nozzle from the hose end, and let the water exit the hose without any added pressure. Hold the hose a couple inches from the roof surface, and start at the high end of the vehicle. Chase the water across the surface with the flow exiting the hose. Run/sheet the water across the surface, and continue with the hood, and rear deck, and sides.
When all is said and done, open the hood and trunk, and let the remaining water sheet itself off while you dry the sides with a Waffle Weave drying towel. (At this point, some like to use quick detailers or Eagle One’s “Wax as u Dry”.) Start at the top, and work your way down to lower panels, refold the waffle weave as it absorbs water, a 24x30 towel is generally all that is needed. You may want to follow in your other hand with a clean and dry microfiber 16x16 towel.
You may find this technique of benefit to you, and if so, you may be able to tweak it a little to meet your specific needs. Good luck, and I hope to have helped at least a few of you !
If anyone needs any additional questions answered, or some help in product selection, just PM me !

If this thread should get enough views, I will post a "Proper Claying" method also...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-31-2004, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kbstreet

that I should follow?
Let me be the first to welcome you to the site!

As for your questions, sending your car through a car wash is a big It leaves swirl marks on your car and is your rims worst nightmare. If you find that you have no choice but to run your car through a automatic car wash, make sure it's a touch-free wash and be *very* careful when driving your car onto the metal railings that take your car into the wash..for if you're not careful, expect the railings to chew up your rims, which no one wants.

As for washing/cleaning/wax/etc. products, I have always used Meguiars and Mothers as well as a couple other products...which I have always been satisfied with their results. Here's a list of what I currently have, which can all be purchased at your local Autozone, Pepboys, etc.

3M Swirl Remover (Swirl/scratch remover)
Clay Magic Claybar
Meguiars Deep Crystal Car Shampoo (Car soap)
Meguiars Gold Class Car Shampoo and Conditioner (Car soap)
Meguiars NXT Tech Wax (Polish/wax)
Meguiars NXT Spray Booster Wax (Quick detailer spray)
Meguiars NXT Tech Protectant (Vinyl, rubber, and plastic protectant)
Meguiars ColorX (Polish/wax)
Meguiars ScratchX (Swirl/scratch remover)
Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel (Tire care)
Mothers 3-Step System (Cleaner wax, polish+glaze, and carnauba wax)
Mothers Claybar
Stoners Invisible Glass (Glass care)
Lexol Cleaner & Conditioner (Leather care)

--------------------------------------------

This is what I follow when I give my car my weekly wash..

1. Wash car with car soap.
2. Clay bar
3. ScratchX/Swirl remover
3. Polish
4. Wax
Old 05-31-2004, 10:29 PM
Racer

About what *ill*tl said, doesn't using ScratchX and wax every week hurt your clearcoat?

And what about in the winter time? I have to drive my car year round. The carwash I use is a touch free (it uses high pressure water and foam soap to clean). Or doesn't it apply to first gen TLs?
Old 06-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vincent
About what *ill*tl said, doesn't using ScratchX and wax every week hurt your clearcoat?

And what about in the winter time? I have to drive my car year round. The carwash I use is a touch free (it uses high pressure water and foam soap to clean). Or doesn't it apply to first gen TLs?
Obviously, you shouldnt use those products unless there warranted....As for a weekly routine with them, i highly reccommend against it.....Theres no reason to use abrasives unless their needed....Personally, polish/seal every quarter, and go with something more aggressive only when it calls for it at that time....
Old 06-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Instructor

A touchless carwash will remove your wax. Since they are touchless they have to use harsher chemicals to get your car clean - the level of harshness will remove any wax or selanat you have on the car in one or two washes..still in the winter time it may be better than not washing at all. If you have a garage you can then follow up that with a waxing or selant applcation to protect the finish from environmental hazards.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Banned

I only apply ScratchX to areas that need it..same goes for the 3M Swirl Remover. Other than that, I basically wash my car weekly and either use the NXT Spray Booster Wax or Mothers Carnauba Wax.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Racer

Oh, I though you actually used NXT wax everyweek... didn't think about the QD.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Banned

Oh, I though you actually used NXT wax everyweek... didn't think about the QD.
Haha..thats a bit too much work for me. I'd say I use the NXT wax every 1 1/2-2 weeks. And yes, the QD works great..and takes about 10-15 minutes to wax the entire car.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:56 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

Originally Posted by groebuck
A touchless carwash will remove your wax. Since they are touchless they have to use harsher chemicals to get your car clean - the level of harshness will remove any wax or selanat you have on the car in one or two washes..still in the winter time it may be better than not washing at all. If you have a garage you can then follow up that with a waxing or selant applcation to protect the finish from environmental hazards.
Touchless carwash's never really get all the dirt off your car anyway. Never wipe your car after it has dried having been through an automatic car wash. Wet it first if you are going to wipe on it.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Instructor

If you have to - touchless wash - then if you have a garage - use a QD or I prefer Poorboy's Spray and Wipe (which you can use on a dirty car and will not scratch and leaves nothing behind like a QD). Make sure you have plenty of Microfiber towels on hand too! ;()