Cleaning the cleaning supplies

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning the cleaning supplies

I was wondering how often, and how you all clean your cleaning supplies?

The things I have are --
Sheepskin mitts
Microfiber towels (for polishing and waffle-weave for drying)
Chennile sponge
Wheel brush

Also I'll throw a second offtopic question too -
I found this bottle of Eagle-One "wax as you go" in my garage (no idea how it got there). Anyways, is this any good? If not, is there any harm as using it as kind of a 'quick detailer" after washing -- ie would putting this on mess up my meg's nxt wax coating?
Old 03-26-2005, 05:34 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
I machine-wash the microfiber towels (both polish/detailing + drying) after every use with very little regular washing detergent. I machine dry without fabric softener.
I'm not sure the sheepskin mitt is safe to machine wash so I hand-wash after every use.
I don't have a wheel brush I just spray a wheel cleaner and scrub with a small sponge. Of course I've got the OEM wheels, if they were chrome or fancy aftermarket I may be using something else.
I rinse the bucket I use to wash the car very well after each use as well.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wash my every week before I use them again on the car. I think it is a good idea to start with clean towels and mitt. Just follow the cleaning directions: no bleaches or fabric softeners.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

I like to keep it clean, so maybe after two applications.

Use liquid detergent
Air dry or on low heat settings
Do not use bleach
Do not use softner
Old 03-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slinks
I found this bottle of Eagle-One "wax as you go" in my garage (no idea how it got there). Anyways, is this any good? If not, is there any harm as using it as kind of a 'quick detailer" after washing -- ie would putting this on mess up my meg's nxt wax coating?
I wouldn't... I got a bunch of it for free from PepBoys using the MADD calenday and I use it on the wifes company car exclusively... Works good for that... Stick with real, good quality detailing spray for you baby though. My
Old 03-28-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by Slinks
I was wondering how often, and how you all clean your cleaning supplies?

The things I have are --
Sheepskin mitts - Wash by hand after each wash. (You don't want to rub that stuff into your paint on the next wash)
Microfiber towels (for polishing and waffle-weave for drying) - Machine wash cold after every wash .. air dry or machine dry on air setting.
Chennile sponge - Same as sheepskin mit
Wheel brush - I just wash mine in the car wash soap after I'm done with the car and rinse wel with the hose

I found this bottle of Eagle-One "wax as you go" in my garage (no idea how it got there). Anyways, is this any good? If not, is there any harm as using it as kind of a 'quick detailer" after washing -- ie would putting this on mess up my meg's nxt wax coating? - I would avoid this and get Meg's QD. I just used mine during a detail to get the dust off between rounds of polishing and was really impressed
Good luck
Old 03-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your replies!
Old 03-29-2005, 05:18 AM

FWIW, I emailed the people I bought my sheepskin mitt from (which has a detachable rubber inner glove so your hand stays warm and dry)... here's their response:

Thank you for taking the time to send us your email message and your interest and Griot's Garage. I understand that you are inquiring about how to wash you Rubber Glove Lined Wash Mitt. The mitt should not be machine washed. Hand washing will prevent the deterioration and prolong the life of the mitt. What I would suggest for the dirty side is to clean it with Interior Cleaner. What I always recommend is to have two wash mitts. One mitt for the majority of the car and one specifically for the lower panels, which are generally dirtier.
Total sales pitch But at least it answered my question...
Originally Posted by einsatz
I'm not sure the sheepskin mitt is safe to machine wash so I hand-wash after every use.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm Baaack!

Actually the two wash mits idea is a good one ... use the second (i.e. cheaper) one for the lower panels, that way if you've picked up any road tar you won't ruin your expensive wash mit. (Trust me on this one, I'm speaking from experience)
Old 03-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

-Sheepskin mitts
I wash mine by hand after each wash.
-Microfiber towels (for polishing and waffle-weave for drying)
Machine wash them with liquid detergnt after each use. Dry them on low heat until damp dry and the let them air dry.
- Chennile sponge
Wash by hand
-Wheel brush
Just hose it out with a stiff stream of water.

....I got the same Griot's glove in glove and got a similar response to the email inquiry. Was also told to hose it from the inside to push any dirt outward. I've tried that with Griots glove, but it just fills up.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I have the Griot's sheepskin glove without the rubber liner and have put it in the laundry machine and then hung it in the shower in the downstairs bathroom to dry. I have had no problems with it wearing prematurely, although in light of the posts above I may start handwashing it. My washer is a front-loader with no agitator, so maybe that might make a difference. The front-loader is a lot gentler on stuff than the old-fashioned top-loaders.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Guys with the Griot's glove with rubber glove inside, make sure you seperate the two when hanging them to dry. I left the rubber glove inside a few times and is now covered in black mold
Old 03-30-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
Guys with the Griot's glove with rubber glove inside, make sure you seperate the two when hanging them to dry. I left the rubber glove inside a few times and is now covered in black mold
That happened with my last one
When I bought a new one, I noticed the inside of the glove is now lined with cloth, which I'm sure helps a bit. Also the glove is held into the inside with velcro around the wrist area.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by einsatz
That happened with my last one
When I bought a new one, I noticed the inside of the glove is now lined with cloth, which I'm sure helps a bit. Also the glove is held into the inside with velcro around the wrist area.
LOL...the one I have is also lined with the velcro....but I still got the mold
Old 03-31-2005, 06:05 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything I use gets washed in the machine with Sonus Der Wunder Wash.