is clay like a wax cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is clay like a wax cleaner?

do they both acheive the same result as removing all contaminants before the glaze and waxing?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Claying will remove inbedded particles i.e. brake & rail dust, industrial fall out. A pre wax cleaner will remove oxidation, minor surface blemishes and bring out the gloss in the paint, more like a paint rejuvenator. For more info, check out Autopia's article on Detailing Clay and Paint Polishing.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Pro

re

alright so heres my next question: do i still have to pass the wax cleaner if i clay first?

if so the best steps for a great detail is:

1. wash/dry car
2. chip repairs
3. clay
4.wax cleaner
5. glaze
6.wax
7.wash/dry

am i correct?
Old 08-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Claying will remove inbedded particles i.e. brake & rail dust, industrial fall out. A pre wax cleaner will remove oxidation, minor surface blemishes and bring out the gloss in the paint, more like a paint rejuvenator. For more info, check out Autopia's article on Detailing Clay and Paint Polishing.
Sorry to highjack the thread. Just a quick question. Hawhyen, my car is new only 1.5 month, do i really need to use pre wax cleaner? or can i just go straight to wash/wax?
Old 08-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by italian_spak
alright so heres my next question: do i still have to pass the wax cleaner if i clay first?

if so the best steps for a great detail is:

1. wash/dry car
2. chip repairs
3. clay
4.wax cleaner
5. glaze
6.wax
7.wash/dry

am i correct?
1. wash/dry car
2. chip repairs (If you don't have any - be a good idea to also look into PPF))
3. clay
4. Polish (your choice to use a mild polish/cleanser depending on the severity of the surface defect).
5. Glaze (opt step)
6. Seal - with a wax (synthetic/natural)
7. Re-Wash - Opt. not necessary. Some like to do it

Originally Posted by Flight24
Sorry to highjack the thread. Just a quick question. Hawhyen, my car is new only 1.5 month, do i really need to use pre wax cleaner? or can i just go straight to wash/wax?
Couple of questions you can ask yourself:
Q) How was the vehicle transported to the dealer?
A) Rail or truck - possible imbedded particles
Q) How long did it sit in the lot prior to prepping before sale?
A) I don't know. Most of the time they'll sit in the back lot with plastic transit film exposed to the elements.
Q) What did the dealership do to prep the car (clay, polish/pre-wax, synthetic or natural wax) and what products were used (cl
A) I don't know, but it looked good, shiny and smooth when I got it.

Refer to this thread about new car care. I do strongly recommend claying, polishing and protecting the finish with a product you're familiar with. That in itself is satisfying because you know the limitations of the products you use and you absolutely will know your vechicle is properly sealed and protected. What the dealer did and what products were used, you simply don't know.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Racer

what is that "cleaner wax" i see in the stores? is it wax that cleans or does it clean off the wax??
Old 08-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Pro

re

i know it removes paint imperfection and oxydation but i dont know if it does the job of claying, im just looking for a straight answer here

thanks
Old 08-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by feelgood13
what is that "cleaner wax" i see in the stores? is it wax that cleans or does it clean off the wax??
A cleaner wax is a product that combines cleaning agents and a wax. Literally it does both, cleans and remove a previous layer of wax. Call it a one step product eliminating the need for a pre-wax cleaners. It was designed as a time saving product for those in a hurry.
Originally Posted by italian_spak
i know it removes paint imperfection and oxydation but i dont know if it does the job of claying, im just looking for a straight answer here

thanks
OK, let's try this again. A claybar and a pre-wax cleaner will not provide the same result as each has a specific purpose. The links provided in my previous post explains what each does. So the basic process would be:
1. Wash - removes any loose particles of debris and road film from the exterior surface.
2. Clay - removes particles imbedded in the paint surface and washing will not remove them
3. Polish - removes surface blesmishes such as swirls, minor scratches, mild oxidation and increases gloss and reflectivity
4. Seal - provides a transparent layer of protection over the painted surface
Old 08-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Pro

rfe

thx buddy