Can you layer carnauba?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 08:51 AM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you layer carnauba?

I have read from many of the Zaino enthusiasts on this forum about how they "Layer" Zaino protection with multiple coats over time.

Can carnauba be layered? or will the car end up looking like an old surf board?
Old 08-23-2004, 10:55 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
yes

anything can be layered, but nothing should really be layered more then 3-4x's, zaino included IMO.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:00 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The key to layering is to allow the first layer to fully cure before adding any more. Acommon problem people run into are.. Hazing in the paint - which CAN be caused be applying new product over and uncured product (recently applied, but not fully cured)

The caranuba can be layered but leave enough time to let it fully cure, usually over 12 hours depending on the specific product.

The "Zaino guys" have a flash cure additive they put in their sealant product to allow it to cure faster. I'm just curious what disadvantages this "flash cure" has on the finish. If it was "good" for the paint wouldn't this "flash cure" additive be in all of their products? Why would you need to add it during the times you want to detail the car quickly? doesn't make scence to me, but I'm not a chemist.

I personally have layered caranuba over an acrilic coating and under the acrlic coating, there was no hazing either time and they were both on black cars, it's your personal preference on the product you use, some are better than others but most mentioned are in the top of their leagues.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
The key to layering is to allow the first layer to fully cure before adding any more. Acommon problem people run into are.. Hazing in the paint - which CAN be caused be applying new product over and uncured product (recently applied, but not fully cured)

The caranuba can be layered but leave enough time to let it fully cure, usually over 12 hours depending on the specific product.

The "Zaino guys" have a flash cure additive they put in their sealant product to allow it to cure faster. I'm just curious what disadvantages this "flash cure" has on the finish. If it was "good" for the paint wouldn't this "flash cure" additive be in all of their products? Why would you need to add it during the times you want to detail the car quickly? doesn't make scence to me, but I'm not a chemist.

I personally have layered caranuba over an acrilic coating and under the acrlic coating, there was no hazing either time and they were both on black cars, it's your personal preference on the product you use, some are better than others but most mentioned are in the top of their leagues.
I used Klasse AIO then Klasse SG on it's 4th layer. I spaced them about a week apart each. Will the shine get better with Carnauba on top of the SG?

I heard that P21S is great on top of SG but it's pretty pricey. Can I use Meg's Hi Tech Yellow Wax or my leftover Zymol Wax (not cleaner wax)??
Old 08-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Suzuka Master

I use a company based out of Philly known as "ARDEX" for my cleaners & polishes, but i have always used MOTHERS pure carnuba wax to finish off all the vehicles I serviced... I layered wax once and found it to be a waste of product ... i prefer to wax my car then wait a week and wax it again.. I get the best results that way and No build up...and I can rest assured that I covered every area.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I cannot put more than 2 layers of Caranuba wax without 'hazing' the paint. I now strip it with dishwasher liquid to wash, then cleaner wax (Meguire's) then Polish (zymol) then Caranuba wax (EagleOne). This shine will last about 8 weeks with Quik Detailer (Meguire's) in between.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:39 AM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Originally Posted by 2001TL4KCdude
I cannot put more than 2 layers of Caranuba wax without 'hazing' the paint. I now strip it with dishwasher liquid to wash, then cleaner wax (Meguire's) then Polish (zymol) then Caranuba wax (EagleOne). This shine will last about 8 weeks with Quik Detailer (Meguire's) in between.
Have you tried to space out the carnauba applications? It seems by some of the other posts in this thread that this may prevent the hazing effect you are getting.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vicman17
I used Klasse AIO then Klasse SG on it's 4th layer. I spaced them about a week apart each. Will the shine get better with Carnauba on top of the SG?

I heard that P21S is great on top of SG but it's pretty pricey. Can I use Meg's Hi Tech Yellow Wax or my leftover Zymol Wax (not cleaner wax)??

when you top a acrilic with a caranube, I would say stick to the high end caranuba paste wax, not liquids. The three that come to mind are the P21S (like you mentioned), Meguiar's #16 paste wax and Natty's Paste Wax. They are all very high quality pure caranuba paste and work incredibly evey time I've used them.

I when out and got the whole P21S kit so I could "experience" how the porducts worked first hand. Now after using it many many times I would confidently put it up against Meguiars #16 OR Natty's Paste Wax. They all are amazing products, and incredibly user friendly, easy on and somewhat easy off (the #16 can be a tough to take off if applied to thick, but so can all of them).

I've layered these products multiple times without hazing ever.. Just work slow and thuroughly and I don't think you'll have a problem. I would try to layer the caranuba paste with the klasse SG, then you will get the great shine and depth from the caranuba, because it's against the paint allowing it to make the colour "pop", and topping with SG will give you the durability needed.

Keep us informed and post some pics..
Old 08-26-2004, 10:03 AM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
I would try to layer the caranuba paste with the klasse SG, then you will get the great shine and depth from the caranuba, because it's against the paint allowing it to make the colour "pop", and topping with SG will give you the durability needed.

Keep us informed and post some pics..
Interesting... I was thinking that the carnauba layer(s) would be the last coats applied. I didn't think of using SG layers OVER the carnauba.

Is that the way you do it RF?
Old 08-26-2004, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by yano_jl
Interesting... I was thinking that the carnauba layer(s) would be the last coats applied. I didn't think of using SG layers OVER the carnauba.

Is that the way you do it RF?

You'll have to play with a combination until it works for you. I preped Tatewaki's TL and Hobes' CL-S for a show here in Toronto. After removing the scratches and swirls, I used the Klasse twins and followed with the P21S, the results were great!! Now thinking about the process used I would probably try Klasse AIO, then caranuba paste, then SG then caranuba paste on top. Think of the Caranuba as large contributor to the depth and shine (even thought this is typically done mostly by the polish). I would start with AIO, the AIO has cleaners and will help prep the surface, then caranuba to give paint colour the "pop" and depth, followed by the SG (the powerhouse protector) and finally give the top layer another coat of caranuba for that "show car" appearance.

I couldn't find anything wrong with the combination I used on the TL and CL-S (both black by the way) but I'll never say "I've found the perfect combo". The truth is there are many components that will help you figure out which product to use, ie. where you are working sun/shade/cold/hot , the colour of the car is a large factor, the tools you have to work with, etc... There isn't a certian combination that won't work on a car, just combinations that work better that others...