Which buffer? I'm trying to put together a kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which buffer? I'm trying to put together a kit

I'm gonna do a really hardcore detail on my car in a couple weeks and want to get some stuff together. I'm starting from scrap. All I have is some Meguiars Gold Wax and Meguiars NXT car wash.

I've read a lot of people recommending the UDM buffer on this website. On other websites I read a lot of people recommending the Porter Cable 7424 which is a good bit cheaper.

Basically I just want to put together a kit that will make my car look good. I have tons of swirls, finger print looking marks, and a little bit of clearcoat damage.

I just clayed and waxed it today, didn't really do anything, this mess seems to be a lot deeper

It's black if that makes any difference besides being a pain to keep up with
Old 11-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
UDM
Erasure Polishing Kit
A. Four Star Body Shop Light/Medium cut compounds or
B. Einszett Paint Polish/Metallic Polish
Four Star UPP, or Einszett Glanz Wax.
About a dozen Supreme MF's....
Old 11-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Intermediate

what's the advantages of the UDM? Do you have any type of starter package?
Old 11-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Pro

Hey SteveO, I can't answer your questions about the benefits over the PC. Although, I can tell you that I went with the UDM based on many recommendations on this site and I'm very happy as I've began to learn how to use it.

I recall during my research, someone saying that if you really want to do some paint correction, you're better off with the UDM over the PC.

Anyone else care to add to this...?
Old 11-03-2007, 05:58 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveO2005TSX
what's the advantages of the UDM? Do you have any type of starter package?
The UDM has about 20% more power than the standard Porter Cable (PC) 7424. The polisher does not bog down like the 7424 can if you use too much pressure. These polishers are nearly fool proof and do not cut the paint surface like a rotary polisher can. If you do not have serious paint correction then the UDM or 7424 is a great start. I have both polishers and still use both of them. I personally would start with at least 2 polishing pads, 1 light cutting pad, and 1 finessing pad. Exceldetail (official Acurazine vendor) should have a pad package you can begin with.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:04 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
The UDM has about 20% more power than the standard Porter Cable (PC) 7424. The polisher does not bog down like the 7424 can if you use too much pressure.

You shouldn't be applying pressure with a polisher any way. The machine should do all of the work, you are only there to guide it on it's path. That is why there are different pads and media to work with.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both machines are ideal. Jazz pretty much stated the differences between. The only other thing that comes to mind is the UDM comes equipped with a 5" BP and a light polishing pad (white) and the PC does not. You will need to purchase a BP, either 5" or 6" and both will accept 6.5" pads. Both do a great job correcting surface defects and from the description of your paint, my suggestion/recommendation would be the UDM. As stated previously, Patrick (Exceldetail) has several pad kits to choose from that will or should meet your particular needs.
Originally Posted by SdotCamp
You shouldn't be applying pressure with a polisher any way. The machine should do all of the work, you are only there to guide it on it's path. That is why there are different pads and media to work with.
My on applying pressure, sometimes you will need to apply some pressure on the head, about 5-7 lbs on some of the more serious problem areas.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:14 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by SdotCamp
I have to disagree. You will need to apply a certain amount of pressure to get the proper results. Somewhere around 5-10 ppounds of pressure is required depending if you are doing more cutting or polishing. Little or no pressure is applicable for applying a paint sealant or wax. Remember that these polishers are mild compared to the cutting power of a rotary.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Former Sponsor

I prefer just a couple/few lbs to fully manipulate the machine. I want complete control of vibration (within reason) lateral, longitude, as well as the pads levelness in relation to the surface im polishing. Proper pad and product selection will do substantially more then added pressure. My feeling is if your adding pressure, you need to do this throughout the entire panel or your results will be varied. Very rarely will you have severe swirls on one area of a panel and not the other. Swirls and scratches are usually uniform. Unless its due to a literal accident like a rivet slide off a pair of Wranglers or 501's.
I dunno guys, just like polishes and techniques, we are all different, as we use what works. Otherwise we would all be using Meguiars!!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by exceldetail
UDM
Erasure Polishing Kit
A. Four Star Body Shop Light/Medium cut compounds or
B. Einszett Paint Polish/Metallic Polish
Four Star UPP, or Einszett Glanz Wax.
About a dozen Supreme MF's....
ok, putting together the list. Any other recommendations? I have the UDM, Four Star Body Shop Medium, Four Star UPP, Excel Monterey Waffle Weave towel
Old 11-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Orange, and white or black pad for finer polishing, red for sealants.
Oh, Im out of Red and White Erasures, but more on the way. Those guys buying the Flex machines have done me in..........!
You could use the black pads for light polishes as well.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Intermediate

Oh, Im out of Red and White Erasures, but more on the way. Those guys buying the Flex machines have done me in..........!
one more stupid question just because I don't know anything about doing this. Do I have to wrap the pads in bonnets or do I just use the pads to apply? How many uses do you typically get out of the pads? they are pretty pricey for a piece of foam.

Also the UDM says 6" polishing pad. I don't see any 6" Esasures on there, do I just use a 6.5"?
Old 11-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Safety Car

one more stupid question just because I don't know anything about doing this. Do I have to wrap the pads in bonnets or do I just use the pads to apply? How many uses do you typically get out of the pads? they are pretty pricey for a piece of foam.
No, use the pads to apply the polishes and waxes/sealants. You can put a MF bonnet on a dry dry pad and use it for final buffing. I've had my Erasures from when they were first introduced. I'm still using some Propel pads (blue, green and black) every now and then that I got from Patrick couple years back.
Also the UDM says 6" polishing pad. I don't see any 6" Esasures on there, do I just use a 6.5"?
The 6.5" Erasure pads were designed for dual action buffers. I believe the UDM comes with a 6.5 polishing pad and a 5" BP.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Steve, I use 4", 5.5" and 6.5" pads with my UDM.....
Old 11-04-2007, 09:49 AM
8th Gear

Very minor pressure to hold the pads true to the surface, I agree. Enough pressure to slow the machine down is not needed. If you are trying to cut with a polisher and have to add that much pressure you should be using a rotary.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:30 PM
2016 E350 Sport

I prefer just a couple/few lbs to fully manipulate the machine. I want complete control of vibration (within reason) lateral, longitude, as well as the pads levelness in relation to the surface im polishing. Proper pad and product selection will do substantially more then added pressure. My feeling is if your adding pressure, you need to do this throughout the entire panel or your results will be varied. Very rarely will you have severe swirls on one area of a panel and not the other. Swirls and scratches are usually uniform. Unless its due to a literal accident like a rivet slide off a pair of Wranglers or 501's.
I dunno guys, just like polishes and techniques, we are all different, as we use what works. Otherwise we would all be using Meguiars!!
You don't use meguiars?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Safety Car

Patrick, you mentioned the Flex buffer which I was gonna mention. Anyway for the benefit of the other enthusiasts and pros as well. Here's a review from Autopia and some general info here
Old 11-07-2007, 08:05 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
when did this beast come out? ^^
Old 11-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Former Sponsor

The machin has been out for some time, but only recognized recently. Its a little on the steep side $$$$. Ive looked into carrying it, but the profit margin is EXTREMELY small and requires quite a bit of initial outflow......Sure is a beautiful machine though.....
Old 11-08-2007, 06:58 AM
FTW

Maybe a group buy is in order... Although i'm happy with my UDM i wont be purchasing the Flex mac.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Group buy for what Lus?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 AM
FTW

Ohh I was referring to the Flex machine.. if the price point is high.

That's all.