Brand new Car, done some browsing on the detail forums, and now....

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brand new Car, done some browsing on the detail forums, and now....

i've done a lot of reading so far, but you guys have a wealth of info so i figured i'd just post in here to get some specific answers.

i have a new 2006 TSX, picked it up last monday, so it's barely under 2 weeks old, and near 1,000 miles. it's accumulated some dirt in the jersey and pa climates, and i want to protect it....

i'm curious how often should i was it? is once a week (if i have time) excessive? or is it ok? i'm picking a soap, and probably get mother's or meguiars. if anyone has input on this, i'm open to suggestions.

i've picked up lexol products for vinyl, leather conditioner, and leather cleaner. how often should i apply? i think i read somewhere on here that the leather treatment should be done about every 60-90 days?

i'm also considering the 303 aerospace for the vinyl after browsing these forums. that would replace my lexol vinylx (or whatever it's called) correct?

a friend recommended simple green as a good product to wash the tires and rims, true or not true? he takes good care of his cars, so it must be working for him.

Is there anything specific i should get for the exhaust tips? chrome polish? anything in particular?

my car will be heated garage kept, should i do a wash, waz, and sealant treatment? is there anything else i'd need to do? (clay, paint cleaner? etc) or should i wait til spring to do these steps.

i heard a good wax is insulator by collinite, but i don't think i saw it mentioned on here. thoughts? feelings? passions? with wax products....

i'm a novice hoping to obtain a wealth of information. i know i can do a lot more searching, but if anyone has quick answers for a newbie with a new car who wants to keep it sweet, i'd appreciate it.

i picked up the essentials (MF cloths, "the absorber" as well as a product by meguires that looked good too for drying, a wheel brush, and some other cleaning products). i'm gonna give it a ncie cleaning today, and then if i need to do the rest, i'll spend another day maybe next weekend.

thanks in advance for the help!
Old 12-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take it easy lol
Old 12-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by huckleberry
take it easy lol
are you implying i'm a bit crazy???? lol. i just want the best for new my baby!
Old 12-30-2005, 06:28 PM
Safety Car

Check out this thread for info basically about the same subject matter. I think all or most of your questions can be answered. My on the following:
Wash: 7 - 10 days, depending on how dirty it gets. I've been using Megs NXT Wash.
Interior: Aerospace 303 - every 2 weeks, 4 Star Leather Cleaner/Conditioner - 45-60 days.
Tires/Wheels - PB Bold n Brite (Tires) and Spray & Rinse Wheel Cleaner.

As far as Collinite, I have read it's a really durable product for a 'nuba based wax. More info can be found here. Most of the folks here use polymer based sealants for longevity and durability. My personal favorites include PB EX-P, Natty's, Four Star UPP and Optimum Spray Wax. I'm sure other folks will chime in.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:42 PM
Still Lovin my 06

OK i did a lot of reading the past two days:

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
There have been several threads regarding what to do on a new vehcile. Here's couple links to get you started. https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/wash-wax-advice-323318/
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/when-can-i-polish-wax-321880/
This thread was asking about recommended products and what folks use ...
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/wax-recommendations-313144/

This is a post by TOGWT from the 2nd thread I've given you.
and here's what i have so far as far as car care products:

Wash:
-2 Buckets (i like the two bucket method
-Turtle Wax Concentrated Car Wash (probably will upgrade to another brand, but I hadn't done a lot of research by the time I went shopping, and figured this was safe)
-The Original California MicroMitt (Micro Fiber Wash Mitt) - I'm thinking of either getting another one, or buying a Sheepskin, and using two Mitts like many recommend. I don't think I'm into the brush Idea yet, but the OXO products look good.
-Nozzle with 8 spray designs (supposedly specific for a car - prewash, under car, rinse, window, roof, wheel, tire, soak - is this a gimmick, havane't tried it yet, but haven;'t really heard whether one nozzle is better than another)

Wheels/Tires:
-Meguiar's Versa Angle Wheel Face Brush (is this the right brush to clean the wheels with? it's very soft, but the "wheel face" made me think it was only for the exposed part of the wheels, not the entire wheel??)

-Concentrated Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner (my cousin recommended this, he takes care of his cars with great care. he said the all purpose and the automotive is the same stuff, different label, he uses it on his wheels and tires. I'm curious if i can also use it for the interior carpets, for spot cleaning?)
Prestone Wheel Cleanrer with Brake Dust Repellent (sounded like a good idea? figured i'd try this, if i don't like it, something else)

I haven't bought anything yet to follow up on the wheels, but PB's Spray and Rinse looks good for the wheels.

I also read about PB's Pro Polish for exhaust tips and wheels. This is after cleaning the wheels i think? And for polishing exhaust tips? i couldnt decide on what to buy for the exhuast tips.

Glass:
-Stoner Invisible Glass (do you really get best results with newspaper, or are MF towels ok?)
-Rain-X - i love this stuff so much, definitely for the windshield, possibly just put it on all windows. I have the little squeeze bottle.

Dry:
-The Absorber (my dad's used it for years and it seems to work well)
-Mequiar's Gold Class Microfiber Super Suede Drying Cloth (the package sold me on this, figure it would compliment the absorber as far as getting the spots the absorber couldn't get, was this a waste of $$, should i just get some more MF towels, or a waffle weave like the cobra guzzler or something?)

Interior:
-Lexol Conditioner
-Lexol Cleaner
-Vinylex Protectant

After much reading, i've decided to get the 303 aerospace when i find it (pep boys?). does this replace my Vinylex, or is it in addition to?

Still Need:

-Clay Bar (probably get the clay magic kit, as the other (mothers???) int he orange box was 5 bucks more and came with wax, which i don't want)

Based on recommendations, and praise, i think the Four Star products have won my business....either that or Poor Boys. So here's what i think i need:

-Ultimate Paint Cleanse
-Ultimate Paint Protection
-Maybe the car wash soap
-Maybe the polish (usefull or not?)???
-Quick Detail Spray (used after a car was right?)

Natty's Paste Wax (blue) for my Royal Blue Pearl.

If i get PoorBoy's instead, i'm not sure what i need, i know the EX or EX-P is the sealant right? not sure what else, but haven't had a chance to look.

Now, i know i can keep reading, but i really wanted some input to tell me what i'm missing, what i might need that i overlooked, and maybe some insight on the Four Star vs Poor Boy's for anyone that has used both.

I also don't even know yet what PB's products i'd need if i go with them instead of Four Star, but i'm sure i can figure it out.

So:
Was the Meg's Suede Cloth a waste of money? Should i return it and just use the absorber along with some MF towels, or should i get a WW towel instead ot the Suede Cloth?

Am i going in the wrong direction with any products I chose?

Interior: Carpeting, will the simple green work, or is there something else i need (hopefully just for spot cleaning, as I have the all season mats)

Applying lexol conditioner: MF cloth fine?
Lexol cleaner - do i need a brush of some sort or will a cloth mostly do?

I'm going to learn how to use a PC. my cousing is going to teach me., and will probably purchase one soon.

I can't think of anything else. I'm hoping for some responses by the experts in here, sorry if i don't remember all the names, but i think it was anthony, excel, and some others. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

I've done so much reading the past two days, i have a headache. Must get ready for a trip to philly for new year's, so i'll check back later to see if any responses. I'll hopefully make a trip to pep boys and return anything i bought that might be a bad idea, and buy anything i missed. I'll be looking into ordering the Four Star or Poor Boy's soon. Happy New Year everyone.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:46 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Check out this thread for info basically about the same subject matter. I think all or most of your questions can be answered. My on the following:
Wash: 7 - 10 days, depending on how dirty it gets. I've been using Megs NXT Wash.
Interior: Aerospace 303 - every 2 weeks, 4 Star Leather Cleaner/Conditioner - 45-60 days.
Tires/Wheels - PB Bold n Brite (Tires) and Spray & Rinse Wheel Cleaner.

As far as Collinite, I have read it's a really durable product for a 'nuba based wax. More info can be found here. Most of the folks here use polymer based sealants for longevity and durability. My personal favorites include PB EX-P, Natty's, Four Star UPP and Optimum Spray Wax. I'm sure other folks will chime in.
thanks for the useful info. I'm going to wash my car at least once every two weeks, hopefully once a week, time permitting.

It sleeps in a heated garage, so that's one thing in it's favor.
I'm liking the aerospace 303 recommendation, and will pick it up. i'm happy with lexol products, maybe i'll try the 4 star down the road...
I'll probably be purchasing the PB Bold n Bright and the Spray and Rinse. Thanks!

I think i'll grab Natty's wax everyone so strongly recommends, instead of the Collinite Insulator. This will go on after the sealant, if i read correctly?

PB EX-P and Four Star UPP are the front runners for my first try. Haven't decided yet. Is the Optium Spray Wax another brand of sealant, or is that an additional step?

Thanks again. I love acurazine!
Old 12-31-2005, 04:09 PM
Safety Car

Brady, I know exactly how you feel. A PC is the one tool an enthusiast should have and I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have one. Just a time saving tool and virtually fool proof. I would suggest checking Lowes for it and the cost is $109. I use Propel pads from Exceldetail. Regardless of the products you use, surface prep is paramount to the result. You want the surface sterile and smooth. With that in mind, you'll be amazed with the outcome. Have fun detailing.....
Old 01-01-2006, 04:19 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
New vehicle, Initial Care:

Tese are only suggestions, insert car are product of your choice

Most people believe that a new car needs little if any care for the first week or so, not true. Most new vehicles leave the factory, they sit in dirt parking lots, they are transported by trains, trucks, or ships, and then they are generally subjected to the removal of transit plastic protection wrap and usually harsh washing conditions once they arrive at the car dealership.

Even new cars that have been setting on a car dealerships lot for a few weeks can accumulate surface contamination; don't assume a vehicle that looks good is contamination free

Acid rain, road salt, tree sap and airborne contaminants are very detrimental to a vehicles paint film surface. Brake dust or rail dust are very small, almost microscopic particles of steel, iron or their alloys. These particles carry a negative charge while the vehicles they land on are carrying a positive charge. The vehicle surface becomes a magnet, attracting and bonding the ferrous metal particles to the vehicle surface.

1. RapGard (Plastic Transit Film):
Many manufacturers are using this white plastic covering in place of synthetic or wax based shipping coatings. Plastic becomes brittle with age (90 to 180 days) and becomes difficult to remove as it "shreds" while being pulled off, additionally there maybe excess adhesive residue left on the surface.

Spray Valugard’s New Car Prep onto the Rapgard, allow to dwell for three or four minutes. Remove NCP residue with a 100% cotton towel (DFTowel) The Rapguard should now gently peel off, pull away from body at a 45 degree angle using an even pressure, you may find that it shreds. Spray the uncovered paint surface with New Car Prep to remove any adhesive residue htpp://www.autoint.com

Wash vehicle with a car wash concentrate diluted 1 oz. per gallon of water any remove any ‘solid’ adhesive residue with detailers clay.

Cosmoline and Paraffin are used to protect new cars during shipment. They are sprayed on most engine and exterior finishes to provide a barrier to the elements. (zymöl Strik™ Cosmoline Remover and Engine Cleaner )
http://fp.zymol.com/strik2.htm

2. Cleaning Tyres:
•Rinse thoroughly with a fairly strong stream of clean water to remove any loose road dirt etc., from tyre’s and wheel wells.
•Clean tyres with a rubber cleaner (3M Tire & Wheel Cleaner -39036) or a citrus-based APC (P21S Total Auto Wash)
•Use a water-based polymer tyre dressing (Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™)
•Apply a (UVR) protection to the tyres.

3. Detailers Clay:
Even new cars that have been setting on a car dealerships lot for a few weeks can accumulate surface contamination; don't assume a vehicle that looks good is contamination free
•Divide the Detailer's Clay into equal pieces and knead into a ball to ensure pliability
•Take one of the pieces and flatten it out into a circle, approximately enough that it will fit into two or three fingers
•Spray a 2-foot by 2-foot surface with a lubricating solution (WooliteTM or Dreft™ / Water 5:1), ensure that the surface being clayed is always wet
•Glide the Clay across the area in a front to back in a straight-line aquaplaning type motion
•Use long strokes without lifting the clay from the surface
•Use a light to medium even pressure until the surface becomes smooth and silent.
•If the Clay is streaking on the paint, you need more to apply more lubricating solution, it is better to over lubricate the paint film surface than let it dry-out

4. Vinyl and hard plastic surfaces:
•Apply any dressings very sparingly as these surfaces don’t allow the dressings to penetrate very well
•Use a suitable matte type dressing (Iz Cockpit Premium) to ensure that there is no reflection on the windshield, reducing visibility.
•Apply a UVR protection (303 Space Protectant) especially to the dash and any other surface that is subjected to sunlight on a regular basis.

5. Surface Protection:
Regularly applied wax and/or a polymer sealant will both protect the paint surface from surface contamination that collects on a painted finish which includes, Industrial fallout (IFO), Rail Dust, Acid Rain, Hard Water Spots, Tar, Bird Droppings, Waxes/Silicones, Oxidation, Adhesive Residue, Road Grime Rust Stains.

6. Car Cover:
The greatest treats to the preservation of your vehicle are; Airborne Contaminants, Industrial Fallout (this includes Acid Rain) Ultra Violet Radiation (UVR) Oxidation, Bird Excrement and Brake Dust, wind blown debris and pollution.

Protect your investment with a car cover, outdoors, car covers offer unequalled protection against ultra-violet radiation (UVR) they are water resistant and provide protection from acid rain, pollution, bird excrement, tree sap and wind blown debris.

[each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher]
Old 01-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

Jon, I have saved your post as a doc and a PDF file when it was originally posted. It is one of those items I consider a reference and refer to. Thanks for your insight and advice. A prosperous New Year to you and yours.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow!

Brady...when you're done with your car, could you come over here and wash mine? LOL Oh for this kind of time.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
6. Car Cover:
The greatest treats to the preservation of your vehicle are; Airborne Contaminants, Industrial Fallout (this includes Acid Rain) Ultra Violet Radiation (UVR) Oxidation, Bird Excrement and Brake Dust, wind blown debris and pollution.
Im certain Jon meant threat, instead of treat..........
Old 01-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Still Lovin my 06

OK, first was went pretty well. The tire brush i bought had some difficulties getting behind the "spokes" of the wheel. any recommendations for something to get back there, right where the spoke meets the rim of the wheel?

turtle wax car wash worked pretty well. wish i took my time, because i missed a few spots. but it looks good.

the Stoner's Invisible glass is amazing. I've never seen glass look like that. Do you guys use it on the inside too? the fumes are a little much so i didnt try it yet.

Otherwise, car care is going good so far. I need some cloths for window washing and for interior detailing.....Pack fo 25 microfibers at sams club....good idea? only 12 bucks for 25.

anyways. thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Use the Stoners inside also..I havent used the MF's from Sams, no comment on there quality.....but that is a good price.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've used Stoners and newspaper with great success. Haven't tried Stoners with MF. One caution about the newspaper is that the ink, when moistened, can get on the pillars if you're not careful. Having parchment interior I have to be extra careful around the perimiter of the glass on the inside.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by jlukja
I've used Stoners and newspaper with great success. Haven't tried Stoners with MF. One caution about the newspaper is that the ink, when moistened, can get on the pillars if you're not careful. Having parchment interior I have to be extra careful around the perimiter of the glass on the inside.
i don't buy into the newspaper suggestion. if it works great....but talking to some detailers and some car enthusiasts, i've been told newspapers are for reading....my windows came out fine with a terry cloth towel today.

as far the sam's towels.....they were 80/20....that's a good blend right? can one 80/20 be better than another 80/20?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bradykp
i don't buy into the newspaper suggestion. if it works great....but talking to some detailers and some car enthusiasts, i've been told newspapers are for reading....my windows came out fine with a terry cloth towel today.

as far the sam's towels.....they were 80/20....that's a good blend right? can one 80/20 be better than another 80/20?
Newspapers work great, but it only took me one or two times of getting ink where it shouldnt, then I resorted to paper towels, followed up by a MF. As for all MF's being created equal...its not true...there are definetely some better then others. You want maximum thread count, and plushness, as well as soft edges. One thing i have to stress, is dont apply pressure on the edges while polishing, jus try to avoid it altogether.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
BradyKP checkout the Zaino website at www.zainostore.com
You will find a lot of good information here.