Big Buy to start out FROM AUTOGEEK

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Big Buy to start out FROM AUTOGEEK

Alrighty, so this may be the start of a very interesting detail thread. I've never detailed before, i've barely even washed a car before, and never properly...

so to start off, history on my car. she's got 2 accidents on her, both passenger side. repair work was ok to say the least. what has been repainted/replaced: Front bumper, rear bumper, passenger quarter and fender panels, and both passenger doors, along with the hood being blended.

Northeast weather, salt, snow, everything. she's been driven through it all. at the start(i was 17 and not that into cars) i took her to a machine wash, but never smoked or ate in her, always extremely clean in and out. after a year i realized hand car wash is the way to go. my sister got the car from a semester last year, washed the car maybe 2-3 times in a machine wash, so all that salt and crap probably demolished the paint in the machine wash. i've been taking her to a hand car wash that uses fresh microfibers and buckets, also does a spray wax for 30 bucks. not great, but better than nothing. i live in a building with a garage so washing in the driveway was never really an option.

Now: well, i've decided its time to fix up my poor baby, and i'll be using autogeek to supply me. keep in mind, i work in a pharmacy, volunteer at an ambulance corps and go to school, so money isn't stacked up. i've been saving up, and have about 500-600 to spend for right now, and im getting the essentials. i'll be speaking to nick on the phone again tomorrow or friday to place the full order, with some customizations by him.

Heres my current planned list for what i want to get, and i'd love suggestions/tips

Griots Garage 6inch with meguiars 105/205(Nick is changing all the 6.5 stuff to 5.5 per my request)
128OZ Optimum No Rinse
CHEMICAL GUYS CITRUS WASH
obviously 2 5 gal buckets, grit guards.
i want the nano skin 6inch as well.
i was thinking of getting the 3 inch griots too but dunno if i need it/if its worth it
i know i need microfibers, but there are too many choices and i hate making decisions so i still dunno which i want, despite knowing that i need 1-2 waffle weaves, some plush ones for washing, some others for buffing, and a wash mitt
i'll also need a wax to top it all off when im done.

feel free to chime in guys, i love reading experiences and the like, i've read a good amount on autopia and plan to watch more junkyard vids for the megs 105/205, i will put pictures of how bad the paint is when i place my order with nick, probably friday morning.

for now, teaser pic of how she looks when you arent close enough to inspect the paint

Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
You can skip on the Griot's 3 inch. I found it severely under powered and bogged down under light pressure. There aren't really any tight spaces on your TSX where you would even need the 3 inch buffer anyway.

Instead of a wax, why not a sealant? It lasts much longer than a wax, unless you go with something like Collinite 845. That is a nice little gem right there.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:36 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by v|nsan|ty
You can skip on the Griot's 3 inch. I found it severely under powered and bogged down under light pressure. There aren't really any tight spaces on your TSX where you would even need the 3 inch buffer anyway.

Instead of a wax, why not a sealant? It lasts much longer than a wax, unless you go with something like Collinite 845. That is a nice little gem right there.
good to know on the 3in. i just figured stuff like the pillars, 5.5 would be too big no?
and wax vs seal, its a lease, gone by march =) wax will give me the better gloss i feel and im fine reapplying once every 2-3 weeks
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
good to know on the 3in. i just figured stuff like the pillars, 5.5 would be too big no?
If you really want the 3" .. just buy the backing plate and swap it out when needed but as posted above .. not really needed on "most" cars especially the TL .. I have a 3" backing plate / yellow pad on a spare PC and seldom even bring it out.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^jesstzn a little OT, but where can the 3" backing plate be found for a good price? i just got some small LC pads i wanted to try out on a few areas.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
^jesstzn a little OT, but where can the 3" backing plate be found for a good price? i just got some small LC pads i wanted to try out on a few areas.
Dunno .. I got mine a few years ago when I purchased some pads etc .. most places that sell detailing stuff sell them.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
and wax vs seal, its a lease, gone by march =) wax will give me the better gloss i feel and im fine reapplying once every 2-3 weeks

i use 6in and 5in pads and i can do my entire TSX no prob.
you may have to apply wax/sealant/clay by hand around the trunk ledge and under the side mirrors but the rest is no problem.

if you have a pep boys near you, go buy stuff like brushes, mf towels, window cleaner, lexol and generic stuff.
if you spend $25 bucks on car washing stuff, you get a free bucket. theyre good buckets too. no sense in spending money on brand name buckets.
if its not free, theyre only like $4 there i think.

as for towels, i usually buy one of those multipack ones that are cheap. use those for wipe down things like interior work.

a big waffle weave for drying.
another waffle weave for wiping up clay lube or detailing spray.
waffle weaves seem to get it all up in one wipe.

idk if youd like this but i bought a silicone water blade.
i use that to pre dry my car. get most of the water off. it does wonders.
just be sure the car is spotless so youre not dragging dirt across your paint.

some buffing MF towels. these are really plush. i think i got mine at target. 2 pack of really nice, fluffy buffing towels for like $10 bucks.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-06-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BobbyC
idk if youd like this but i bought a silicone water blade.
i use that to pre dry my car. get most of the water off. it does wonders.
just be sure the car is spotless so youre not dragging dirt across your paint.

Thats the key ... i grain of grit and you have a long scratch .. I usually just use them on windows as a pre dry or if the car I am detailing is an absolute disater anyway.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The citrus wash from chemical guys ( which I have as well) is a stripper, dont use it as your weekly wash. Use it to strip and prep the car for fresh wax, they have other amazing soaps for weekly use which wont strip.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OntheJob
The citrus wash from chemical guys ( which I have as well) is a stripper, dont use it as your weekly wash. Use it to strip and prep the car for fresh wax, they have other amazing soaps for weekly use which wont strip.
The citrus is meant for my once every 4-6 weeks wash, the rest will be done with ONR likely
Old 12-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The citrus is meant for my once every 4-6 weeks wash, the rest will be done with ONR likely
Cool, just realize that it WILL strip the wax off the car so each time you use it, you should be waxing it immediately after.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:08 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OntheJob
Cool, just realize that it WILL strip the wax off the car so each time you use it, you should be waxing it immediately after.
i'll likely be waxing every other wash, atleast during the winter as the northeast seems to be getting reamed periodically. citrus will be every 4 washes or so, and ofcourse followed with wax. thanks though =)