Best car care kit for WDP TL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Best car care kit for WDP TL?

Hey guys,

After having my 06 WDP TL for a solid 4 months now, thought I would polish her all up.
Previous owners left swirls and a few scratches here and there and want to attempt to remove them.

I was wondering what you guys would recommend when it comes to a Porter Cable 7424 kits available by Autogeek. Which kit do you guys believe would do the trick when it comes to removing swirls and light scratches.

I also don't mind buying things separately, but i'm sure AG put together great kits that work very well.

I'm already set on purchasing 4star UPP for the paint sealant, and may be apply an additional wax on top.

http://www.autogeek.net/po.html

I want to remove the swirls and hopefully remove the light scratches that are there. I don't expect to remove everything but at least the swirls.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
Lots of people like the Meguiars m105/205 combo. There are nothing but good reviews on all the detail sites for it. I personally have never used it before. Everybody will tell you different things, just pick what sounds good and stays within your budget and you should be good.

Also for what it's worth optimum has some pretty good products out there that are really user friendly. Check out what they have to offer as well.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Zaino!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by McCollins23
Lots of people like the Meguiars m105/205 combo. There are nothing but good reviews on all the detail sites for it. I personally have never used it before. Everybody will tell you different things, just pick what sounds good and stays within your budget and you should be good.

Also for what it's worth optimum has some pretty good products out there that are really user friendly. Check out what they have to offer as well.
Yah I was actually leaning towards Meguiars or Wolfgang.
Thanks!

Sorry the title doesn't make sense haha, meant "Best Porter cable kit"

/e Realized that the Meguiar's kit on DI is a lot cheaper than Autogeek
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...205-pads-P438/
http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-soft-buff-kit.html

Which kit would you guys recommend?
The autogeek one has more pads and the conditioner and microfiber towels which I don't have.

Last edited by Coins; 07-22-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:40 AM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Here are my thoughts on the M105/205 combo.

M105 dusts like crazy and takes very few passes to have effective cut on our soft Honda paint. M105 splatter is darn near impossible to clean up unless you clean it up immediately. If you work the M105 long enough until its beyond hazed, it is easier to buff off. M105 has non diminishing abrasives meaning that it starts cutting on the first pass. Some products have diminishing abrasives that require a couple passes before they start cutting.

M205 is a very easy product to use. On my NBP it finishes down pretty well with a Green uber foam pad and Griots buffer on speed 4-5. I only make 2-3 passes with 15-20lbs of pressure. Shorter working time with M205 is better for finishing down. I've spoken with Todd Cooperider of Esoteric Detail who has extensive experience detailing NBP TLs and he has told me that the best finishing polish he has found for our soft Honda paint is Sonax perfect finish. However, it's rather expensive. I believe Detailers Domain carries it.

I used the Kevin Brown method which is basically priming the pads and then adding 3-4 pea-size drops of product for every subsequent panel.

Something to keep in mind for the future is to reduce speed, not pressure. Keep pressure constant

I would actually look at getting the Griots or the Flex over the Porter Cable. The Porter Cable is a bit under powered comparatively and the Griots has much more ability/power to it.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Banned

Appreciate the extremely helpful review and tips!

My max budget is $300 for the PC kit. Haven't really researched rotary brands, think they are a bit out of my price range.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:18 PM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Coins
Appreciate the extremely helpful review and tips!

My max budget is $300 for the PC kit. Haven't really researched rotary brands, think they are a bit out of my price range.
The Griots and the Flex that I reference in the above post are both Dual action random orbital the same as the Porter Cable. Just more powerful.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JJH
The Griots and the Flex that I reference in the above post are both Dual action random orbital the same as the Porter Cable. Just more powerful.
Oh ok cool. Would it be such a significant difference would you say? Kind of on the pricey side for just the flex itself it seems, but if you really thing it would be worth it then I don't mind considering it at all.

The griots one is a lot cheaper, unless you're recommending another one.
http://www.autogeek.net/griots-rando...-polisher.html

I'll basically be polishing the car then using it every other time to apply sealant and wax when necessary.
I just want to get rid of the washing induced swirls and the light scratches.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go with the PC definitely go with the 5.5 pads. I have a PC7424XP and love it. I've never used a GG but hear great things about them. You can go with the 6.5 pads with the Griots.

Last edited by swami; 07-22-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:26 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
the PC is pretty idiot proof. there is little to no risk of damaging your paint.

while the griots and flex DA's have more power, knowing what your are doing with them will be key. i have read that the flex is a good machine BUT you have to be careful NOT to damage your paint (burn). sometimes more power is not always better. i've read good things about the griots DA but not sure of the potential risks involved if a noob uses it.

as a noob to a DA i wanted idiot proof with little risk if any to damage the paint of my car even if i tried to. i have a PC and have used it several times on several different cars. i have heard good things with the 105/205 combo (it does produce dust), i tried the meg's ultimate compound and found it worked VERY well without a step down product. very little dusting. i removed all of the fine light scratches on my TL, and deswirled my friend's STi (95% of them, it was horrid how bad his paint was).

i'm all about keeping things simple. the meg's UC cutting power is between the 105/205 combo and left the finish ready for LSP. i use meg's products, optimum poducts, klasse twins, among others...really you have to go with what you are comfortable using, what you want out of the products, and budget. certainly you can go nuts buying products if you wanted to.

once you polish the car out, you really won't need to do it again unless you've reswirled the vehicle after a year's time. proper wash technique and staying away from the auto car washes will minimize the marring you might induce on your paint.

as far as pads...the smaller the pads the more concetrated the cutting of the pad (LC orange pads for example). 5.5" pads will get into most areas of a car. 6.5" pads dont' fit in all the random small spaces or odd shaped panels. everyone has their favorite pad combos as well.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 07-22-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
One more product I forgot to add was Meguiars Microfiber system. I have heard rave reviews on these pads and their ability to cut/finish. These will be my next purchase once I need new pads. There is a really good instructional video on Autogeek showing them in action.
The following users liked this post:
JJH (07-22-2012)