Argh!! Hard Water!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 06:01 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Argh!! Hard Water!

I need some serious help here!

During the garage remodel our cars were parked outside including the RL. When we replaced the sockets with new black ones, the automatic sprinkler control was unplugged and when we plugged it back in, it defaulted to automatic without my knowing. At 7:30 AM (while I was still sound asleep), the sprinklers came on and COVERED the driver's side of the car then the sun baked the water onto the surface. I immediately washed the car to remove the minerals but it still got really bad etching. I tried several attacks on it tonight to see how bad it was and it's not looking good.

A pass with an LC Orange and Menz SIP really didn't do much and it took two passes with a PFW and SIP to get any sort of improvement. The paint on this car is VERY soft but the etching is pretty damn stubborn so I fear I'm taking off more clearcoat than water etching. I have some Menz Power Gloss as well as some Meguiar's 105/205 on the way but I don't want to go too harsh. Any tips on getting these spots off is greatly appreciated. And here are a couple photos to help you out.

This is AFTER washing...like I said, it's bad.

After several passes on SIP with PFW the outlines are still there. You can't feel them on the surface of the paint which gives me some hope.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Damn 5-minute edit!

Just did a little more research and found some ideas. Several sites suggested washing with Dawn, claying, and a wipe-down with water-distilled white vinegar followed by polishing if necessary. Anybody think this might help?
Old 08-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I can recommend two things. First was the vinegar wipe down, and second is this. I've never used it, but based upon the reviews it sounds like a go.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:41 AM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
i've got something similar on my TL. was at the beach and the sprinklers covered my car, the salt was attracted to the water, and the sun dried up the spots. i haven't had the time to get to it yet, but was told to clay, then vinegar wash to see what happens. keep us (me) posted on your efforts.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For water spots, here's what I typically do as my process. I always keep a bottle of distilled vinegar and water in a spray bottle. The acidity can help dissolve calcium and mineral deposits. I'd do it after a wash or clay if you planning, and give it a re-wash to help remove the smell and residue.

If that doesn't do the trick, I turn to a non-abrasive chemical cleaner, such as Klasse All In One. This usually does a great job removing non-etched water spots and preps your surface for protecting it with a sealant or wax.

If that doesn't do the trick, then I start with the least aggressive method of abrasive polishing and work my way up until the spots are removed. Some spots may be more difficult to remove than others, so just keep at it.

Like the others have said, keep us posted on what you end up trying and how things turn out.

Best of luck,

George
Old 08-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FirePR2002
i've got something similar on my TL. was at the beach and the sprinklers covered my car, the salt was attracted to the water, and the sun dried up the spots. i haven't had the time to get to it yet, but was told to clay, then vinegar wash to see what happens. keep us (me) posted on your efforts.
Its really about that simple or complex depending on how you look at it. Theres not a lot of choices available to you other than vinegar with a Saran Wrap method: Might sound kind of funky but..........Spritz Vinegar full strength on panel, then lay Saran Wrap atop. This locks in the acids and keeps it from evaporating. Do one panel at a time. Let dwell 20-30 minutes. Remove, and take a light grade polish via PC, to help break up vertical mineral deposits.
Theres also Danase Water Spot Remover as a second option (I believe I have one remaining before its gone forever.)
What your trying to accomplish with any H2o spot remover product is a softening of the mineral deposits, then removal via light abrasives.
This problem your having also leads credence to the importance of frequent use of products that protect, i.e., Spray Waxes after every wash and quick detailers between!
Old 08-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Theres not a lot of choices available to you other than vinegar with a Saran Wrap method: Might sound kind of funky but..........Spritz Vinegar full strength on panel, then lay Saran Wrap atop. This locks in the acids and keeps it from evaporating. Do one panel at a time. Let dwell 20-30 minutes.
Pat,

Good tip, I've never heard of that technique before, but I can see where it would be more effective than simply misting it onto a panel, allowing for more dwell time.

Kudos
Old 08-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Thanks, guys! I'll give it a shot and let you know how things turn out.

This is why I love AZine...people coming together to help somebody else in need. But you want to hear something pathetic? I posted this exact same topic on Autopia and got NOTHING. Only half the views (39) and not one reply. That place is murder on new members and because I have only 160 or so posts, they ignore me completely. I have started topics to ask questions, asked questions in existing topics and even PM'd people and I can't get an answer to save my life. It's like a government institution but with an even worse attitude. I've had all I can take so I told them how I felt, locked the topic, and left. That place SUCKS and for those thinking about joining...DON'T DO IT.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Good to see this thread pop up because I'm having the same issue with my hood after the car got rained on and dust collected to form bad dirty water spots. I wasn't able to wash my car for a few days and even now that it's clean the spots are still there. They're not horrible but still fairly noticeable.

The worst part about it is I recently spent 3 days in the garage doing an intense wash, clay, 3 stage machine polish and sealant for fall (took some great shots, will make thread soon ). My car looked amazing afterwards, but then it rained a couple days later
Old 08-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DetailedImage
Pat,

Good tip, I've never heard of that technique before, but I can see where it would be more effective than simply misting it onto a panel, allowing for more dwell time.

Kudos
With age comes creativity George! Ya kind of "suffocate" the minerals with the light acids. Sort of the same principle with dead bugs and the beach towel, hydrate the crap out of them and they soften right up.
Thank you for the acknowledgment!
Originally Posted by PortlandRL

This is why I love AZine...people coming together to help somebody else in need. But you want to hear something pathetic? I posted this exact same topic on Autopia and got NOTHING. Only half the views (39) and not one reply. That place is murder on new members and because I have only 160 or so posts, they ignore me completely. I have started topics to ask questions, asked questions in existing topics and even PM'd people and I can't get an answer to save my life. It's like a government institution but with an even worse attitude. I've had all I can take so I told them how I felt, locked the topic, and left. That place SUCKS and for those thinking about joining...DON'T DO IT.
And now you know why I left Autopia with when I hit like 4500 posts.......
Courtesy and respect are the rule over here. Or we'll run ya out! Glad you appreciate everyone contribution, and the acknowledgments go a long way.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:29 AM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by DetailedImage
For water spots, here's what I typically do as my process. I always keep a bottle of distilled vinegar and water in a spray bottle. The acidity can help dissolve calcium and mineral deposits. I'd do it after a wash or clay if you planning, and give it a re-wash to help remove the smell and residue.

If that doesn't do the trick, I turn to a non-abrasive chemical cleaner, such as Klasse All In One. This usually does a great job removing non-etched water spots and preps your surface for protecting it with a sealant or wax.

If that doesn't do the trick, then I start with the least aggressive method of abrasive polishing and work my way up until the spots are removed. Some spots may be more difficult to remove than others, so just keep at it.

Like the others have said, keep us posted on what you end up trying and how things turn out.

Best of luck,

George
Great tips George... still been meaning to pick up some KAIO for myself. Some day I'll remember to, haha.

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Its really about that simple or complex depending on how you look at it. Theres not a lot of choices available to you other than vinegar with a Saran Wrap method: Might sound kind of funky but..........Spritz Vinegar full strength on panel, then lay Saran Wrap atop. This locks in the acids and keeps it from evaporating. Do one panel at a time. Let dwell 20-30 minutes. Remove, and take a light grade polish via PC, to help break up vertical mineral deposits.
Theres also Danase Water Spot Remover as a second option (I believe I have one remaining before its gone forever.)
What your trying to accomplish with any H2o spot remover product is a softening of the mineral deposits, then removal via light abrasives.
This problem your having also leads credence to the importance of frequent use of products that protect, i.e., Spray Waxes after every wash and quick detailers between!
I totally forgot about your trick Pat but now you've reminded me, hehe. Thanks!

Originally Posted by PortlandRL

Yeah, I stopped going to Autopia completely now. There's way too many new people and I really don't enjoy sifting through threads so now I only really visit DB and AZ.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Okay guys...the vinegar helped to loosen the mineral deposits but desperate times call for desperate measures. Tonight I'm hitting the RL with a pass of M105 and an orange pad. One pass with the magic combo and the hard water spots are GONE!!! Now I wouldn't normally recommend such an abrasive pad and polish combination on such soft paint but because this is a one-time go around, I figure we might as well do it right. Oddly enough, the sections I repeatedly went over with SIP and the PFW are giving me more grief now than before. The left rear of the hood was the closest to the sprinkler so there is some etching there (although very light) that is now part of the landscape, unfortunately. Thanks for all your help!

I'm taking pics and a mini-write up will be posted.

Last edited by PortlandRL; 09-05-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:21 PM
03 ABP tls

awesome tips guys, i got a few old water spots myself from the previous owner. wonder if this will work.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Here is a 50/50. Not entirely sure where those swirls came from... Not to worry...they are a mere distant memory now!

Hood after...this was covered in small hard water spots.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Great job! Looks really nice. And now it can stay safe and sound in your spiffy new garage
Old 09-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Racer

Damn Andrew, what a headache!!!!!! I'm so glad to hear that you got those stubborn water spots gone....looks money now !!!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Intermediate

for anyone else, i've found that silicone based polishes like nu-finish work well at removing such spots
Old 06-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm on the same boat, I have a ton of tiny water spots over the NBP RL and one huge bird drop etching. I tried wiping both down with 50% isopropyl alcohol, nothing. Then I tried 70% ethanol, nothing. Btw, ethanol is so much more awesome than isopropanol. Anyway, still nothing. Then I tried claying, and same thing, nothing for both the water spots and the bird drop etching. I'm planning on polishing the car in the next few weeks, so I am really hoping that the polish will take care of fixing both the blemishes. I'm planning on using a orange pad & menzerna power finish. Would you guys think that'll do the trick?
Old 06-12-2010, 04:04 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Use the least abrasive product first-

1. Use a paint surface chemical cleaner (Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner)
2. Try to dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits by trying one or more of the following;

a) Use a 2:1 or stronger solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar (Acetic acid)
b) Try a 2:1 solution of distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
c) Or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.

3. Clean the effected surface with Klasse All-In-One or Zaino Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner
4. Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
5. Use a machine polish (Optimum Polish, Optimum Compound) and a cutting (LC White, Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4- 5.0) to level the surface
6. For Ceramiclear or other hard clear coats substitute Menzerna for machine polish; PO 203 S - Power Finish
7. Use the least aggressive polish/foam pad first, if this doesn’t remove the problem step-up to a more aggressive polish / foam pad set-up
8. Wet-sand with 2000, 2500 or 3000 grit finishing paper