After using Scratch X

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After using Scratch X

Hi, I have a quick question that I hope can get an answer. I've used scratch X on a few minor scratches on my car and after using it, the paint finish kinda look faded. My question is how do I restore it to the original shine of the rest of the car? Do I wax it after using scratch X? Any comment is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by dsianand
Hi, I have a quick question that I hope can get an answer. I've used scratch X on a few minor scratches on my car and after using it, the paint finish kinda look faded. My question is how do I restore it to the original shine of the rest of the car? Do I wax it after using scratch X? Any comment is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sounds like you may have rubbed too hard with the wrong kind of cloth. You'll probably need a good polish, what do you have access to?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Advanced

Yeah, after you said it I think I might rubbed it too hard. So polishing it would be good enough to bring the shine back?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Advanced

I used microfiber cloth to rub and I have meg's polish.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:16 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
huh? you must've rubbed really hard. I would get a non-abrasive polish and go over those spots again and then wax.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
ScratchX is an abrasive polish, which may or may not remove the scratch your after. Keep in mind, it will mar your paint (Microscratch, appears faded). This is due to tha abrasive nature of the product. You now need a polish with less abrasive, to remove the marring you have now introduced onto your surface.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I will be using Meg's 3 steps when weather permits, will it restore the paint finish?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

The step 2 Polish should help you.....
Old 12-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Thank you, I'll try that later.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Step 2 doesn't have abrasives in it. It only has fillers and oils and won't fix your marring.

When you used ScratchX, did you work it in until you started hearing a squeaky sound? You have to work it til it gets squeaky and then wipe it off BEFORE it dries. ScratchX's abrasives break down as you work it, so initially it is a swirl remover but by the end it would work as a polish to finish the surface.

After using ScratchX properly, follow up with the Deep crystal step 2 polish. I find that the paint feels dry-ish after scratchX and step2 helps restore the oils.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by exceldetail
The step 2 Polish should help you.....
Step 2 doesn't have abrasives in it. It only has fillers and oils and won't fix your marring. After using ScratchX properly, follow up with the Deep crystal step 2 polish.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Driver/Detailer

Patrick... you cut out the important juicy bit. It's like having seared steak but without the meat in the middle.

Step2 doesn't have any abrasives in it. You can hide the marring but after it rains, the marring becomes visible again.

Better to use ScratchX properly to remove the marring and then followup with Step2 to restore the oils.

Or even better yet, get yourself some Propel pads and proper swirl removers!
Old 12-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Advanced

Thanks again for the info guys. It really helps a lot.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Are you sure the Step 2 DC Polish doesnt have abrasives? I know Step 1 DC paint cleaner doesnt, but why would Megs sell basically non polishing products in a mutli step program?
1 cleans
2 removes fine spiderwebbing
3 protects.....
The Megs DC 3 Step is a very good OTC product, but expect OTC results also.......
Old 12-08-2005, 02:31 AM
Driver/Detailer

Guaranteed 100% with info from Mike over at meguiarsonline.com that DC2 does not have abrasives. In the consumer line, ScratchX is the swirl remover/abrasive polish, DC1 is the paint cleaner, DC2 is the pure polish/glaze and DC3 is the wax.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Now you know why I dont use Megs stuff anymore, nor do I recommend it too often. In my book, polishes should contain abrasives or they lack whats truelly considered the ability to "polish"......And another thing...How the hell can it claim to remove spiderwebbing without abrasives????? This is BS
Old 12-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Driver/Detailer

Yup, I think the consumer line of Meg's products are a bit too conservative. Maybe it's to prevent the uneducated from damaging their car. I've seen my share of people destroying their paint with "Polyglaze Cut-n-Wax" paste wax. I'd hazard a guess that "removing minor spiderwebbing" means either hiding it from your view, or just providing a lube while the pad does all the work.

I now use Meg's only for their #7 glaze and #21 sealant. I'm a Poorboy's poor boy now. Haha.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:33 AM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Now you know why I dont use Megs stuff anymore, nor do I recommend it too often. In my book, polishes should contain abrasives or they lack whats truelly considered the ability to "polish"......And another thing...How the hell can it claim to remove spiderwebbing without abrasives????? This is BS

You are completely leaving out Megs Professional line of products which has every light to heavy abrasive cleaner/polish you can think of. Megs consumer line is not meant to fix moderate to severe scratches. All polishes do not have abrasives since every paint job does not require it. It makes no sense to polish a flawless finish with an abrasive polish. I do not care about what product someone favors but misinformation is .
Old 12-09-2005, 12:43 AM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by dsianand
Sounds like you need to start using a Dual Action Polisher such as a Megs G-100 or Porter Cable 7424. Check out this link and see for yourself what a dual action polisher and some Megs #80 can achieve even with an amateur detailer. I suggest you read all of it. It is great info. Oh yeah, pics of your paint can help with evaluating you problem.

Ferrari Detail
Old 12-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
You are completely leaving out Megs Professional line of products which has every light to heavy abrasive cleaner/polish you can think of. Megs consumer line is not meant to fix moderate to severe scratches. All polishes do not have abrasives since every paint job does not require it. It makes no sense to polish a flawless finish with an abrasive polish. I do not care about what product someone favors but misinformation is .
SJ, calling a product a polish that does not contain abrasives is misleading. That should be called a cleaner. And if there claim implies it can remove spiderwebbing, such as DC #2 "polish" states, it leads the consumer to believe that it contains abrasives. Megs has so many products, in the consumer line and Pro line, that are tweeked ever so slightly, its very confusing, thats why I dont use them anymore....
#80 as an example, Speed Glaze, which I used for quite some time. The name implies it is a glaze. Sheeeeeeeeeesh, its one of the best polishes Ive used!
#9 Swirl Remover, the name implies it removes swirls. Well in my years of detailing, you cant remove swirls unless you have an abrasive polish (Be it light/med/compound) " #9 Swirl Remover is completely non-abrasive and safe for all paints." Huh??????? Meguiars makes great car care products, but the labels are misguiding.............
Old 12-09-2005, 10:27 PM
2016 E350 Sport

SJ, calling a product a polish that does not contain abrasives is misleading. That should be called a cleaner. And if there claim implies it can remove spiderwebbing, such as DC #2 "polish" states, it leads the consumer to believe that it contains abrasives. Megs has so many products, in the consumer line and Pro line, that are tweeked ever so slightly, its very confusing, thats why I dont use them anymore....
#80 as an example, Speed Glaze, which I used for quite some time. The name implies it is a glaze. Sheeeeeeeeeesh, its one of the best polishes Ive used!
#9 Swirl Remover, the name implies it removes swirls. Well in my years of detailing, you cant remove swirls unless you have an abrasive polish (Be it light/med/compound) " #9 Swirl Remover is completely non-abrasive and safe for all paints." Huh??????? Meguiars makes great car care products, but the labels are misguiding.............
I think there are various degrees of polishes with abrasives. The fact that they contain polishing oils more so than abrasive compounds is why I feel this way. However, I do agree the labels on some of their products do not match the application. Megs #9 is definitely more polish than swirl remover. I tend to just remember them by number and not worry about it.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

The beauty of Poorboys and Optimum, 3-4 products which cover the whole gammit!