Acura CL-S Engine Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Acura CL-S Engine Cleaning

Hey guys, I'd like to give my engine bay a good cleaning sometime soon, but I've never done anything like this before so I've got a couple questions. What specifically has to be covered in my engine bay, and if possible would you guys be able to tell me the location of these items? The car is relatively new to me so I haven't figured out where everything is yet. Other than that, are there any do's/don'ts for somebody new to cleaning an engine bay?

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Advanced

It's also a 2001, if that makes any difference.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:55 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Protection of Electrical Components

The most important electrical components are sealed ‘water resistant’, that is to say against low pressure, water splashing encountered in the course of daily driving conditions. As long as you avoid directing a strong stream of water (or a pressure washer at close range) directly into these components, you will be fine.
You need to cover various parts prior to using any cleaning products, sprays (water deterrent, formula 40(WD-40)) or water.
• Alternator
• Alarm Housing
• Intercooler
• Battery terminals (if not covered already)
• Induction kit cone (if you have one)
• Coil packs
• Electronic control units (ECU)
• On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) port
• Air intake systems (exposed air filters) can be covered with plastic wrap and a rubber band

Notes:
1. This is not an exhaustive list, nor is it marque specific, if in doubt use a water repellent (WD-40) and exercise common sense
2. Use cling-film and then tin foil for the alternator, alarm housing etc as the foil is easier to mould and has greater protection properties. I suggest you use a plastic bag for the induction kit and just wrap it tight over the end to stop any water ingress.
3. For the intercooler the best way to cover is to get a flat sheet of cardboard and just cut it to size so it fits and covers the fins. Cardboard will normally protect the fins for the duration of the washing. It will get soaked so discard after the wash.
4. If you are uncertain of how to proceed on something not included here; talk with somebody who has marque /model /year specific knowledge.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Advanced

Do you know where the alternator, alarm housing (assuming it has one with the stock alarm?), coil packs, OBD port and ECU are? I really odn't know my engine bay too well at this point.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Epiphany
Do you know where the alternator, alarm housing (assuming it has one with the stock alarm?), coil packs, OBD port and ECU are? I really odn't know my engine bay too well at this point.
i am only talking fr my own expereince but i never cover anything as long as i know the car is in good working condition as in (no major leaks, broken seals).
I actually spray with a crime decreaser let sit for abt a min and spray it off at high pressure to brk loose any oils and dirt.
then i wipe dry and sm times spray sm wet wax on the plastic covers while i wipe dry.

I have done this for years with no problems.

i dont think water damage from spraying at high pressure is an issue unless the car sits in the water for prolonged amounts of time ...
Old 09-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just used some adam's all purpose cleaner on my engine...i just sprayed most of the plastic coverings and the metal...took a wet brush and scrubbed whatever i could down, then hit it with the hose...came out really good.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:03 AM
WINNING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i never cover anything either.
use engine cleaning spray from auto zone...then wipe down and water down
Old 02-12-2011, 11:01 AM
BMW 535i

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I plan to clean my engine too. But I live in apartment , so is it okay for me to drive to the Self-service washing to clean my engine ? ( the engine that time kinda warm, I think ).

Last edited by boyhamdzui; 02-12-2011 at 11:03 AM.