Abrasive rating system

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abrasive rating system

First off let me say that I am a noob and still trying to learn this whole detailing process, and that right now I probably have just enough of an idea of what to do to be dangerous. That being said, I am trying to develop a system for rating what level of polishing power would be needed for different problems, using the products that I have, or may buy in the future.

I recently purchased some Detailing supplies from Exceldetail and a PC from Lowes. (Should be getting the supplies today in the mail). In the supplies that I purchased, I got a "sampler pack" of pads for the PC. Exceldetail rates the pads on the abrasive properties of the pads 0-5 with 0 being a finishing pad and 5 being the most abrasive. (sampler kit has pads ranging from 0-4). I also purchased some SSR1. The SSR series has 4 levels: SSR1, SSR2, SSR2.5, SSR3. SSR1 being light abrasive and SSR3 being heavy duty abrasive (their ratings, not mine).

Here is my thought on the system I am thinking of using. If I am using a Pad that has a 4 rating, and SSR3, that would be a 7 on the abrasive scale and a very abrasive and aggressive combo. Accordingly, if I am using a #1 or #2 pad and SSR1, this will be a 2 or 3 and is going to be a much gentler combo. Of course the combo that would be in use would be determined by how aggressive one wanted to be.

Any thoughts or ideas on this? How to improve it? Scrap it?

Excel - I would very much appreciate your wieghing in on this.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Damn, tried to edit but did not beat the 5 min rule.

The reason that I am trying to do this is because the polishing step of the detailing process is going to have a dramatic effect on the final out come. And for a newbie, knowing how much is too much can not be over rated in MHO.

Other things I would like feedback on include:
Where would different problems fall on the scale? Spider webbing - 2 or 3? SwirlMarks 3 or 4 or higher? Scratches? Polishing out wet sanding?

How could this be improved?

Really wanting to hear from the Pros... but willing to listen to anyone.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Always start light, and work your way up the abrasive scale.

With Poorboys, in general:
SSR 1 is for maintenance polishing, light oxidation, not a real swirl remover, but a light abrasive cleaner. Use when your surface just needs cleaning and then follow with your protectant.
SSR 2, Light spiderwebbing and oxidation, reduce or eliminate wash/drying induced swirls.
SSR 2.5, heavier swirls and scratches, and oxidation.
SSR 3.0, More of a light/medium compound, good for heavy swirling and scratches.

Pads....
Grey, sealant products only.
Blue, sealants and all in one type of products, light viscosity liquids.
Green, light polishing.
Orange (This is where it gets tricky) Versatile pad, can be used as a cutting pad, with appropriate products, or as a polishing pad with appropriate products.....takes a little getting use to.
Yellow, cutting pads, will mar surface and generally requires additional light polishing.....
Ken, dont be afraid to play around a little, but start with the lesser abrasive products and pads, then mix it up a little.........Make sure your pad will support the products though! You cant use heavy SMR's with light weight pads....
And by all means, keep the pad flat on the surface, foam pads should be used in the same fashion as a rotary, there different beasts, and you will shorten the durability, or destroy the foam pads, (And I dont care who makes em).
Old 07-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Here is a great post found on Autopia.org explaining which pads work best with which products. Hope it helps and good luck with the detailing. As I've found, it can be an addicting, yet fulfilling hobby. Not to mention, expensive.

Check it out...