about to clay my car for the first time tommorrow...questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006 | 09:53 PM
UT Longhorn

about to clay my car for the first time tommorrow...questions!

I have an '06 Black TL and I plan to use a clay bar on it for the very first time early tommorrow morning. I'm pretty new to taking care of cars (I'm only 20 years old) and I've only waxed my car once before. I used "nu finish" and later found out that most people don't recommend it.

I went to Auto Zone a few hours ago and picked up a new microfiber wash mitt, Mother's California Gold Clay Bar, and Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax Paste (I bought this because it seemed like it was the best and most expensive one they had in stock). I already have everything else I need.

I read the threads about claying techniques and I think i'm ready to do it. I just have a few questions.

1) After I use the clay and lubricant, do I just wax over the lubricant (Mother's Instant Detailer)? Or should I wash the car again before I wax?

2) How important is pre-wax cleaner? Do I need to use this before I wax?

Thanks guys...all your replies (hopefully quick replies) are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2006 | 10:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by virtualxjk
I have an '06 Black TL and I plan to use a clay bar on it for the very first time early tommorrow morning. I'm pretty new to taking care of cars (I'm only 20 years old) and I've only waxed my car once before. I used "nu finish" and later found out that most people don't recommend it.

I went to Auto Zone a few hours ago and picked up a new microfiber wash mitt, Mother's California Gold Clay Bar, and Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax Paste (I bought this because it seemed like it was the best and most expensive one they had in stock). I already have everything else I need.

I read the threads about claying techniques and I think i'm ready to do it. I just have a few questions.

1) After I use the clay and lubricant, do I just wax over the lubricant (Mother's Instant Detailer)? Or should I wash the car again before I wax?

Thanks guys...all your replies (hopefully quick replies) are greatly appreciated.
1. Yes, it's a good idea to wash the car again after claying. After you wash your car initially before claying, don't dry the car. Leave the water on the car and spray a little bit of the lubricant on. Just make sure you rinsed your car off very well. The combination of the water and lubricant works well, not to mention saves a lot of lubricant spray.

2. Being your car is new and you clayed, you probably don't need to use the pre-cleaner.
Old 08-02-2006 | 10:16 PM
Pro

claying is surprisingly easy. Just use plenty of lubricant spray, really spray it on, so much that it's dripping off, then use the clay. Do a section and then fold the clay. After each section just wipe off the spray. While you're doing it the clay should glide across the car with very little drag.

I'm old and I can do my TL in about 20 mins.

Dave
Old 08-02-2006 | 10:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by virtualxjk

I hope this answers your questions. Washing after claying is not necessary, but some do, just a matter of preference. Reason for this is, after claying most folks use a polish/pre-wax cleaner prior to applying the sealant/wax, in your case, NXT. Using a pre-was cleaner will remove residual clay, oxidation, old wax buildup and very mild surface blemishes. Since you've already purchased NXT, I would suggest using Meg's DC system comprising of 1) Paint Cleaner and 2) Polish. Follow this with a coat of NXT. Another alternative would be Mothers 3 Step. For more info, check Autopia's "How To".
Old 08-02-2006 | 11:02 PM
UT Longhorn

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-03-2006 | 07:28 AM
Former Sponsor

And pics are mandatory...............
Old 08-03-2006 | 06:45 PM
A-SPEC TL

im gonna do the same thing soon too, its also gonna be my first time....i bought myself mothers clay bar....turtle wax ice liquid polish and turtle wax spray detailer (i wanted to try this)....i was wondering...this will get rid of swirl marks rite??
Old 08-03-2006 | 07:02 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Klutch
im gonna do the same thing soon too, its also gonna be my first time....i bought myself mothers clay bar....turtle wax ice liquid polish and turtle wax spray detailer (i wanted to try this)....i was wondering...this will get rid of swirl marks rite??
No it won't. Actually depends on how bad the swirls are, but in most cases to get rid of the swirls, you'll need to use a polish on the car. What the claying does is take out the embedded girt that's in your paint. If you glide you hand over your clean car you'll feel little pieces of stuff, not perfectly smooth. That's what claying does.

Dave
Old 08-04-2006 | 01:12 AM
Former Sponsor

And you'll never even notice it until you see it on the clay bar......But the results are simply amazing.....

Old 08-04-2006 | 08:57 AM
Pro

Those are excellent pictures of what claying does! Really good. Nice ride btw.

Dave
Old 08-04-2006 | 09:12 AM
Racer

yea i used to use high tech wax until i discovered what zaino can do! the zaino treatment takes a lot longer, but the results are just simply amazing! but for claybar, your car will feel incredibly SMOOTH after you are finished...just remember to use PLENTY of lubrication that they provide you (instant detailer). good luck bro!
Old 08-04-2006 | 01:42 PM
A-SPEC TL

Originally Posted by dmarcus48
No it won't. Actually depends on how bad the swirls are, but in most cases to get rid of the swirls, you'll need to use a polish on the car. What the claying does is take out the embedded girt that's in your paint. If you glide you hand over your clean car you'll feel little pieces of stuff, not perfectly smooth. That's what claying does.

Dave
but im gonna be using the turtle wax liquid polish...will that still not work ?
Old 08-04-2006 | 02:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Klutch
but im gonna be using the turtle wax liquid polish...will that still not work ?
No, it won't. TW Ice is a synthetic product with cleaning agents mixed in. It cleans and protects in one step. As previously stated a polish will remove swirls. The word polish is a highly misused term and at times confused with waxing. A polish contains abraisives that even out the paint giving it a smooth surface. Here are some examples of polishes ......

Old 08-04-2006 | 06:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by exceldetail

And you'll never even notice it until you see it on the clay bar......But the results are simply amazing.....

Wow, exceldetail, now that's some dirty clay! The paint must have felt like sandpaper. When I first learned how to clay, my clay looked something like that. Now that I know how to take care of my car's finish, my clay looks relatively clean as I don't let my paint get that bad.
Old 08-05-2006 | 07:34 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Sillt putty works well as a clay, too. J/K

Virtual, NXT paste is amazing on Acura black paint. I use it on my TSX in the cooler months, and if there are any swirls, it fills them. Unfortunately, the look doesn't last more than a week or so in Arizona, so in the summer I use Collintie 845 IW and it, too is pretty amazing. Having said that, I just clayed, and put the Klasse twins on the brand new '06.