3M ClearBra Streaking Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 03:07 PM
for EVER more!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M ClearBra Streaking Question

Hi:

I need advice. My 3M clear bra has embedded bugs. (Florida Lovebugs are no one's friends.)

I used stoner's bug remover (anyone cringing yet) on my 3m clear bra (installed June 06 when the car was brand new) and it made streaks on the hood and headlamps.

2 questions

1) How do i get these fried bugs off the clear bra more easily? (I've heard dryer sheets work, but how do you use them?) and what about older bugs?

2) Without replacing the clearbra...how do I get rid of the streaks

Unrelated,

Anyone know of a good stain remover for the (p)leather that is our back seats? I need a really strong one and a not so strong one...

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are some previous threads you use a a reference:
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/help-bug-season-373685/
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/clear-bra-orange-bug-stain-346632/
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/waxed-over-bug-guts-suggestions-348859/
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Bug Residue:
Dried bug remains are both abrasive and acidic (pH 3.0-4.0) and can scratch paint or glass surfaces, many times the acids will "cloud" or "etch" surfaces as they contain highly acidic concentrates, and should be carefully removed as soon as possible They produce what acts like a super-adhesive on impact (especially when heated or when they have remained on the vehicle surface for any amount of time) you almost need a crowbar to separate these substances from the paint, windshield, headlights or front end of your car.

Notes-
a) Use caution using bug removal products as they usually contain hydrocarbon solvents, which may compromise the integrity of the clear coat causing it to occlude (clouding or yellowing).
b) Do not scrub hardened/dried bug residue as it is very abrasive and will scratch the paint surface, once they are softened (re-liquefied) it enables their removal with less likelihood of damage to the paint surface
c) No car care product (polymer or wax) will protect your paint from this type of acid, as soon as it is noticed remove from the surface.

Use an Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) or a glass cleaner, but avoid ammonia based products (ammonia acts as an acid accelerant) or a gel alcohol hand cleaner (PurellŽ) place a small amount on to a first aid gauze pad, this will help it stay in place during the necessary dwell time and apply to effected area in a shaded area as the alcohol will evaporate very quickly in direct sunlight. Take your time and blot with the alcohol until it softens and melts the sap to the point where you can gently wipe it off the paint.

The alcohol content, acts as a drying agent, which will extract the acid, then thoroughly flush with water to rinse away any grit or sand, etc or use detailers clay to encapsulate it, re-spray the area let it dwell for 2-3 minutes and wipe dry. Pre-soak heavy bug contamination with an IPA soaked towel(s) and let dwell for 4-5 minutes before removing.

Avoid using a QD spray to flush residue, as they contain carnauba wax, which will seal the acid and not allow it to dissipate. Using an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water (to neutralize the acid) as soon as is practical is highly recommended, if the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated each time it comes into contact with water.

If the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated each time it comes into contact with water. Water contains 2- hydrogen and 1-oxygen atom and will acts as a catalyst and a carrier system for acid. Oxygen is an oxidizer; ozone is an allotropic form of oxygen (an oxidizer is any component that emits oxygen); many chemical compounds react to slight heating and an oxidizing process.

Add water (dew, rain, car washing etc) so now you have an acid + water +oxygen + ozone all of which equates to a highly concentrated acidic solution, which causes a concave indentation (acid etching) to the paint surface. This should be neutralized by using an appropriate product (Automotive International, A B C Decontamination/Neutralization wash system (http://www.autoint.com). If the paint or glass surface has been etched the surface can be levelled with a suitable polish and then apply a paint protection. (See also Reactivity)
Clean the PPF with a claybar (fine grade) then follow with a sealant, plastic polish or a protectant.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:52 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
a) Leather Soft Cleaner – (Non-Coated, Protected)
Leather Soft Cleaner is a mild, water-based cleaner that will not affect the Leather’s original properties or finish. It is designed to remove most soiling as well as water-based stains. Leather Soft Cleaner is solvent free and works without removing the finish or harming the Leather.

b) Strong Effect Cleaner - (Non-Coated, Protected) highly efficient for cleaning leather that is very dirty (will also clean ‘blue jean stains) and water based stains of any kind. Clothing dye normally shows as a greyish bloom in seat area. This is usually caused by dark dye transferring from clothing. Particularly avoid brand new (i.e. never been washed) denim jeans, damp knitwear etc (for regular cleaning use Soft Cleaner)
Old 12-20-2007, 10:26 AM
for EVER more!

Thank you both. Great advice - the IPA trick is a new one. Will be heading to the drug store for IPA and gauze ... Awesome!

TOGWT - where in England - I lived in Knightsbridge for 4 months in 2005.
There's only onnneee Ricky Hatton!
Old 12-22-2007, 03:02 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

where do people acquire clay bars, high quality 3M cleaning products, etc.?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by xen-cuts
where do people acquire clay bars, high quality 3M cleaning products, etc.?
Clay bar kits (Mothers, Megs & Clay Magic) should be available at most auto parts stores like Kragens, Auto Zone and Pep Boys. Some will have individual bars (Clay Magic) and most all of the detailing online sites stock claybars. As far as 3M products, I'm quite certain Pep Boys has some but not the entire line. You may have to check online sources if not locally available.

Last edited by Hawhyen51; 12-23-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:49 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm fairly certain that Car Quest has some 3M products in stock, but not all of them.

Online orders is the way to go these days, as most are specialty items and are very hard to find in brick & mortar stores.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:57 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by lusid
I'm fairly certain that Car Quest has some 3M products in stock, but not all of them.

Online orders is the way to go these days, as most are specialty items and are very hard to find in brick & mortar stores.

Right, I totally agree. But my attempts to find a good site with all the detail products I want (including going through 3M, iteslf) has been unhelpful. I am wondering if you guys can recommend a specific website? TYIA.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by xen-cuts
Right, I totally agree. But my attempts to find a good site with all the detail products I want (including going through 3M, iteslf) has been unhelpful. I am wondering if you guys can recommend a specific website? TYIA.
It would help if you specifically state what product you need . . . this thread provides links to some of the popular online detailing sites. They all carry a vast majority of product lines available on the market. Proper Auto Care and Superior Car Care do carry 3M products.