04 NBP tsx never been detailed or any of that kind and i want it like this...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:21 PM
D.L.T

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
04 NBP tsx never been detailed or any of that kind and i want it like this...

ok guys my tsx never been detailed i mean i got it used but im pretty sure it was never properly clean..does that mean when i TRY to detail my car for the first time is goin to take me longer then wat normally takes ppl?...and can someone please tell me how can i make my car look like this.........and since is my first time doing detail...wat products are good? wat polish swirl mark and wax plz help, i have been reading and you guys def know what you doing...so guys plzzz help i def want my car looking as shiny as the picture!

Old 10-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my sugggestion. You didn't say what equipment you have, if any, so I'll assume you do not havey any. If you owned a Porter Cable buffer, you wouldn't be asking these questions, so I'm likely safe in my assumptions.

I am going to recommend you go to Griot's Garage, not because their products are any better than anyone elses, but because by getting kits you'll, in effect, get a nicely discounted buffer, and you'll save on shipping by buying in one place, and you won't have to run around to three different auto parts stores looking for product. I believe the differences between quality products like Meguiar's, Omni, Pinnacle, Griot's, etcetera is marginal when compared to using proper technique.

While these are going to sound expensive, the products will last you for years, and if you are just starting out, well it's not cheap, regardless! But getting quality towels, microfiber towels, wheel brushes, quality wash solutions, a buffer, waxes, and a book and a DVD in kit form will, in fact, save you money over getting it all piecemeal. And you will have all you need to achieve your goal.

I suggest you get this wash and wheel kit. . .

Available here: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...hout+bucket.do

And get this buffer, polish, wax kit . . .

Available here: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...%26+wax+kit.do

If you are nice to the sales guy you may get a discount for buying both. Alternatively, if your car is really in neglected shape, ask if he'll throw in a bottle of Machine Polish 2. Even if he doesn't (good chance he will, though), if your paint is looking really hazy or swirl-marked, get Machine Polish 2 anyway.

Get yourself a big bucket from Home Depot and you are good to go!

The way to get to that shine you are looking for is

1) Wash
2) Clay
3) Wash again
4) Machine Polish 2 (if needed) with the buffer
5) Wash again
6) Machine Polish 3 with the buffer
7) Wash again
7a) Inspect and do Machine Polish 3, if needed, but that is unlikely
8) Wax with the buffer

I know you'll have a ton of questions, but the book and DVD are very good, you'll want to watch it.

Clay instruction, and buffer videos are available on the Griot's website on the product pages and they are good.

This YouTube is also great on proper polish technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2sLCoHsEoo

And

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sJ_r...eature=related

You have an ambitious goal, but with these kits, you can do it! Good luck!

Note, if your car is in pretty good shape, the Machine Polish 2 (coarser than 3) is optional. You can also just use Machine Polish 3 (included in the kit) twice, if it looks like a second pass is needed.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great post
Old 10-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
You can also just pick up a PC and Optimum polish line and a few pads for less $$ that that and go for it.

Exceldetail, who is a sponsor here, and for a way less money can set you up with all you need.

Last edited by Jesstzn; 10-25-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd definitely suggest at least a UDM if you're going dual action....I have a pc and even with orange cutting pad and sonus sfx1 (really big cut) it takes me a million years to get all the scratches out of neglected paint. UDM should cut your time a little due to its motion.

Good luck
Old 10-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplyricist1
I'd definitely suggest at least a UDM if you're going dual action....I have a pc and even with orange cutting pad and sonus sfx1 (really big cut) it takes me a million years to get all the scratches out of neglected paint. UDM should cut your time a little due to its motion.

Good luck

UDM .. PC .. same thing ... the old UDM is no longer ...
Old 10-25-2008, 11:26 PM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
You can also just pick up a PC and Optimum polish line and a few pads for less $$ that that and go for it.

Exceldetail, who is a sponsor here, and for a way less money can set you up with all you need.
Dale couldn't have said it any better. Technique is more important than what brand name product to get. Different products just make it easier to achieve the same end result. Expect to do a lot of self-research and trial and error to perfect your technique. Otherwise, look to having one of us professional detailers take care of it if you're not up to it. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Exceldetail is a great company, and the proprietor is very helpful. I did not try to price a kit on his website, but I think you probably should try it. I just went to Griot's because the kits were put together already, and I'm lazy. I have purchased a few items from Exceldetail and his service is second to none, so I second the recommendation you check him out.

By the way, I love the Griot's buffer, but the PC is also a terrific machine. The Griot's is easier in that there is no mandrell and backing plat to fiddle with, but once set up they are for all intents and purposes, equivalent tools. Again, I think product is a lot less important than technique. The PC is much more prevalent, and you can't argue with the company's tooll quality.

In your kit from Exceldetail, you'll need pretty much everything you see in the kits above. Good luck!

John
Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Caught by the edit clock.

The website for Excel's product catalog is here

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...ef=exceldetail

John
Old 10-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
UDM .. PC .. same thing ... the old UDM is no longer ...

oh wow, what happened to the old udm? Yeah, im pretty much behind on the technology, but I know that the old udm had a different polishing motion which 'supposedly' got out flaws quicker than pc's
Old 10-26-2008, 03:32 PM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by fliplyricist1
oh wow, what happened to the old udm? Yeah, im pretty much behind on the technology, but I know that the old udm had a different polishing motion which 'supposedly' got out flaws quicker than pc's
It's really not different, they're the same but the UDM was just stronger. If you want, you can always go with the Meguiar's G110 which is in fact stronger than the PC and the new UDM, IIRC.

Last edited by Denzil; 10-26-2008 at 03:34 PM.