Notices
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will '06-'07 transmission fit in '04 TL?????

 
Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Will '06-'07 transmission fit in '04 TL?????

My auto transmission just gave out. I found a 07 accord v6 trans with good miles for 800. My question is will it work for my 04 tl and is it easy swap with out mods???? If anyone can help i would appreciate the help im suck and need my car back on the road.
poody is offline  
Old 07-29-2012, 09:25 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 31
Posts: 6,771
Received 1,009 Likes on 868 Posts
Accord tran won't work on the TL because TL has SS mode while Accord just a regular AT with no SS mode.
truonghthe is offline  
Old 07-30-2012, 05:56 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by truonghthe View Post
Accord tran won't work on the TL because TL has SS mode while Accord just a regular AT with no SS mode.
There was a thread I seen a guy put one on his 2 gen type s.... And he said it works I dont seen big difference between 2 gen and 3 gen...
poody is offline  
Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
simran4h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 180
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it will work i was about to do the same for my 2nd gen tl type s when mines was done but i sold it instead.......just the gear ratios are a little different......shouldnt have ni problem from where i see
simran4h is offline  
Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 PM
  #5  
6SPEED FEVER
iTrader: (1)
 
EATSLEEPRACE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NYC
Age: 31
Posts: 940
Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts
Ive seen it done on the 2g....have yet to hear about it on the 3g
EATSLEEPRACE is offline  
Old 07-30-2012, 08:39 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well just bought the accord trans today so will be in by weekend. I hope everything goes smooth. Ill keep yall updated..... I guess ill be the first on here with a 3 gen with 06-07 accord trans..... Hope it works its alot cheaper then tl trans and from what I read has no problems..
poody is offline  
Old 07-30-2012, 09:42 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SF BayArea, California
Posts: 129
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This will be interesting .....
mindanaomoro is offline  
The following users liked this post:
rockyfeller (04-22-2014)
Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 31
Posts: 6,771
Received 1,009 Likes on 868 Posts
well then let us know how it gona turn out and don't forget to post any mod need to be bolt onto the TL.
truonghthe is offline  
Old 07-30-2012, 11:11 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
simran4h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 180
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yea good luck let us kno how it goes.....and yea tht yr trans is alot more reliable
simran4h is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
when I swap it in I will keep you guys updated........... Ill have it in by weekend didn't have a chance to mess with it today... Also have to get new seals and get trans fluid...

Also what trans fluid should I use???? I've used amsoil but its hard to get it my way with out ordering it so any kind that would be easy to get?
poody is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 PM
  #11  
2007 Type S WDP 5AT
 
wojo1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 30
Posts: 579
Received 169 Likes on 63 Posts
just use dealer dtw 1 atf i believe??? bought right from the dealer
wojo1988 is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 09:21 PM
  #12  
Senior Moderator
 
csmeance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Daytona Beach/Gainesville FL
Posts: 18,406
Received 1,068 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by poody View Post
My auto transmission just gave out. I found a 07 accord v6 trans with good miles for 800. My question is will it work for my 04 tl and is it easy swap with out mods???? If anyone can help i would appreciate the help im suck and need my car back on the road.
The 07 I doubt will fit and work properly since the ECU and the case was changed a bit in 2005 or 2006. As well the TL-S's won't work since it has a different housing + mount points.

I would be wary of the accord as the accord has less power than the TL and perhaps lighter duty components.

Originally Posted by wojo1988 View Post
just use dealer dtw 1 atf i believe??? bought right from the dealer
DW1 is the new ATF fluid that acura uses instead of Z1. I suggest you use this to break in the trans and switch over to a better fluid in a few thousand miles.

Originally Posted by poody View Post
when I swap it in I will keep you guys updated........... Ill have it in by weekend didn't have a chance to mess with it today... Also have to get new seals and get trans fluid...

Also what trans fluid should I use???? I've used amsoil but its hard to get it my way with out ordering it so any kind that would be easy to get?
^ see above post.
csmeance is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 10:22 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Installed trans today... I will finish up tomorrow and let you guys know how it drives. The trans was almost identical to a tl. The only thing I had to swap was range sensor mini harness. The plug on harness that plugs to tl harness was a little different but where it plugs to range sensor was the same. So just swap harness and thats the only difference.
poody is offline  
Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 PM
  #14  
2007 Type S WDP 5AT
 
wojo1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 30
Posts: 579
Received 169 Likes on 63 Posts
hopefully thats the only difference and when you start the car it runs and shifts properly! well done
wojo1988 is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 04:19 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ok guys finished trans job today!!!!!!!!!!! Im so happy with the results trans shifts so smooth and ss mode works great. Everything was the same minus mini jumper harness that you just swap out. So if anyone needs a auto trans you now have the option to get 06-07 accord trans for your 3gen tl.
poody is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by poody:
ggesq (02-08-2014), paperboy42190 (02-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2012, 04:30 PM
  #16  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by truonghthe View Post
Accord tran won't work on the TL because TL has SS mode while Accord just a regular AT with no SS mode.
ss mode works!!! ss mode works off ecu when you shift up or down your sending ecu signal to shift.
poody is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Fatfrii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 819
Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
stupid 04 Tls only accept tranny from 04. i tried to get a new one when my tranny blew but it wont work. you have to either get and 04 tranny or swap to manual. goodl uck finding the part for that tho
Fatfrii is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 PM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
pohljm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,745
Received 471 Likes on 378 Posts
^? OP's vehicle is an 04? what r u talking about?
pohljm is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 05:13 AM
  #19  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pohljm View Post
^? OP's vehicle is an 04? what r u talking about?
lol.... yes i have a 04 tl if im not mistaking 99-06 and early 07 tl all bolt up same... 06-07 accord v6 the same not sure about 03-05 accord tho.
poody is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 05:42 AM
  #20  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SF BayArea, California
Posts: 129
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Poody did you take any pictures ? So all of the transmission mounting are the same? This is good to know. Give us a long term report after you run many thousands of miles.
mindanaomoro is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 08:22 AM
  #21  
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm about to do this swap in a few weeks for my wife's 02 TL-S .

She's on the second AT that was swapped out by Acura under warranty at 107k miles. Funny part is that she's only put less than 25k miles on the new Acura transmission and it's starting to have the 3rd Gear shudder under moderate acceleration or while going up hills.

Quick question:

Is it any 06-07 AV6 Transmission that will be compatible? Coupe or sedan alike?
dirtyMETHOD is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 08:22 AM
  #22  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 51
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Subscribed... Waiting for pics and long term report.
tee_el is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 AM
  #23  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 31
Posts: 6,771
Received 1,009 Likes on 868 Posts
awesome, I am glad it work out for you BTW did you did the 3rd and 4th pressure switch while the trany was out?
truonghthe is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:43 PM
  #24  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mindanaomoro View Post
Poody did you take any pictures ? So all of the transmission mounting are the same? This is good to know. Give us a long term report after you run many thousands of miles.
I have a couple pics of trans side by side they are identical. Yes all of the mounting brackets are the same,even the ones under trans that bolt to cradle. I've put about 150 on it today work a hour away. Its shift like butter so happy with it and it was so much cheaper then a tl trans. I will update when I put a few thousand on it.
poody is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:46 PM
  #25  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by truonghthe View Post
awesome, I am glad it work out for you BTW did you did the 3rd and 4th pressure switch while the trany was out?
Thanks!!! To be honest no I didn't ,I will when I get paid next week.
poody is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:51 PM
  #26  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtyMETHOD View Post
I'm about to do this swap in a few weeks for my wife's 02 TL-S .

She's on the second AT that was swapped out by Acura under warranty at 107k miles. Funny part is that she's only put less than 25k miles on the new Acura transmission and it's starting to have the 3rd Gear shudder under moderate acceleration or while going up hills.

Quick question:

Is it any 06-07 AV6 Transmission that will be compatible? Coupe or sedan alike?
Yes coupe and sedan are the same. EXCEPT HYBRID SO MAKE SURE ITS NOT FROM A HYBRID..... I'm not 100% sure if hybrid wont work but ill stay away form it...
poody is offline  
Old 02-05-2014, 10:53 PM
  #27  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Age: 37
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviving an old thread for a status update.


Also can you explain the below statement further? Did you buy a new range sensor harness from Honda or was this something that came with the new Accord tranny?


Originally Posted by poody View Post
Installed trans today... I will finish up tomorrow and let you guys know how it drives. The trans was almost identical to a tl. The only thing I had to swap was range sensor mini harness. The plug on harness that plugs to tl harness was a little different but where it plugs to range sensor was the same. So just swap harness and thats the only difference.
lost is offline  
Old 02-05-2014, 10:58 PM
  #28  
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)
 
Stephen00TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 28
Posts: 2,355
Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
Originally Posted by lost View Post
Reviving an old thread for a status update.


Also can you explain the below statement further? Did you buy a new range sensor harness from Honda or was this something that came with the new Accord tranny?
You have to swap it over from your old transmission.
Stephen00TL is offline  
Old 02-08-2014, 10:54 AM
  #29  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 40
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is any of this info from the OP true about the Accord trans fitting a 3rd Gen TL? He never posted any pics or udates after 150 miles!
rodan is offline  
Old 02-08-2014, 11:55 AM
  #30  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SF BayArea, California
Posts: 129
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think he put at least 10k miles minimum, then I think he had other/issues.
mindanaomoro is offline  
Old 02-08-2014, 12:08 PM
  #31  
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)
 
Stephen00TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 28
Posts: 2,355
Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
I have done this swap in my 2000 and now have 25000 miles on the swap. There is another second gen member with around 50000 on his second gen. I know a person that swap the av6 transmission into his 05 tl and he is probably around 15-20k miles in his with no issues
Stephen00TL is offline  
The following users liked this post:
CaliBud916 (07-25-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 09:13 PM
  #32  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates on this??? I'm looking at either rebuilding my tranny in the '04 TL or swapping out for the 06-07 AV6 tranny. Any updates or advice are greatly appreciated!
ATL_FlyBoi is offline  
Old 04-24-2014, 11:24 AM
  #33  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SF BayArea, California
Posts: 129
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you have the early 04 tran I would get a good reliable 06 tranny cause it would have the updated casing for better fluid channeling for lube and better "cooling" supposedly. The early 04 trans had that oil jet retrofit thingy.
mindanaomoro is offline  
Old 07-25-2014, 06:17 PM
  #34  
Registered Member
 
CaliBud916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sacramento, CA
Age: 31
Posts: 110
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen00TL View Post
I have done this swap in my 2000 and now have 25000 miles on the swap. There is another second gen member with around 50000 on his second gen. I know a person that swap the av6 transmission into his 05 tl and he is probably around 15-20k miles in his with no issues
I might be doing this on my 04 TL. Other than the range sensor harness, is there anything else you need to swap over? Should I change the 3rd and 4th gear switches or just leave the honda ones??
CaliBud916 is offline  
Old 02-02-2016, 04:19 PM
  #35  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 04 tl is starting to slip and found an 05 tl transmission. Will this fit on my 04? Please get back to me
04tl808 is offline  
Old 02-02-2016, 05:10 PM
  #36  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 38,393
Received 5,925 Likes on 4,754 Posts
Originally Posted by 04tl808
my 04 tl is starting to slip and found an 05 tl transmission. Will this fit on my 04? Please get back to me
Did you read this thread? Are you sure you want to throw in an 05 that may fail as well?
thoiboi is offline  
Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 PM
  #37  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SF BayArea, California
Posts: 129
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
Did you read this thread? Are you sure you want to throw in an 05 that may fail as well?
Exactly! C'mom from 2005? You're gambling on the loosing end.
Just have it rebuild, I'm sure by now many updated clutch material and etc... And rebuild process are available.
mindanaomoro is offline  
Old 02-03-2016, 01:46 PM
  #38  
Confusing Name Guy
 
N1h1l1ty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,729
Received 295 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by mindanaomoro View Post
Exactly! C'mom from 2005? You're gambling on the loosing end.
Just have it rebuild, I'm sure by now many updated clutch material and etc... And rebuild process are available.
Actually no, we are still very limited in terms of durable clutch frictions and steels. Raybestos GPX is pretty much the only option AFAIK that would be an "upgrade" per se, and I don't think we even have a better steels option.

HONDA '05 BAYA MAYA & ACURA 04-06 BDGA TRANSMISSION REBUILD KIT WITH RAYBESTOS GPX FRICTION CLUTCHES - The American Powertrain Warehouse

Also a high stall torque converter built by IPT performance would probably be beneficial. They're the ones that did Libert's TC on his turbo 5AT TL.

Last edited by N1h1l1ty; 02-03-2016 at 01:49 PM.
N1h1l1ty is offline  
Old 02-03-2016, 04:39 PM
  #39  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SF BayArea, California
Posts: 129
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool
Thanks
Good info
mindanaomoro is offline  
Old 02-26-2016, 12:13 PM
  #40  
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Age: 29
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help got a 05 TL base transmission went out need to find cheaper transmission that will fit and work good
Thomas Gonzales is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will '06-'07 transmission fit in '04 TL?????


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.