Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming the remote transmitter/keyfob 3G Garage #L-079

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programming the remote transmitter/keyfob 3G Garage #L-079

i accidently dropped something on my key fob and need to replace the driver 1 fob. does anyone know how much they charge for another fob and how i can program it? i tried doing a search, but was wondering if i can do it myself rather than goign to the dealer...

thanks!

Popular Reply

08-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Ron A
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
The keyfob is #16 in this picture. The cost shown is list $78.27, discount price $66.53
http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnysi...All&vinsrch=no

You can ask the service manager if he will charge you anything if you buy the keyfob from the dealer.

If he wants too much, or if you want to do it yourself, you can follow these instructions.

PROGRAMMING THE REMOTE TRANSMITTER (KEYFOB)

Storing transmitter codes.
The codes of up to three transmitters can be stored into the keyless receiver unit memory. (If a fourth code is stored, the code which was first input will be erased.)

NOTE: It is important to maintain the time limits between the steps. Make sure the doors, the hood and the trunk lid are closed.

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II)

2. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver unit behind the driver’s side of the dashboard.

3. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

4. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).

5. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver unit behind the driver’s side of the dashboard.

6. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

7. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).

8. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver unit behind the driver’s side of the dashboard.

9. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

10. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).

11. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver unit behind the driver’s side of the dashboard.

12. Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators within 1 to 4 seconds, then push the transmitter lock or unlock button again, or the code will not be stored.

13. Within 10 seconds, aim the transmitter (up to two additional ones) whose codes you want to store in the keyless receiver, and press the transmitter lock or unlock buttons. Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.

14. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and remove the key.

15. Confirm proper operation with the transmitters.

NOTE: Once the programming mode is entered, the remote button must be pressed a second time. If the button is not pressed, or if the ignition switch is turned OFF, the programming for all remotes will be cancelled.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think E-bay sells them (much cheaper than what dealers would charge you). It says dealers can help you for programming.

http://search.ebay.com/acura-fob_W0Q...trypageZsearch
Old 08-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Novice
I think E-bay sells them (much cheaper than what dealers would charge you). It says dealers can help you for programming.

http://search.ebay.com/acura-fob_W0Q...trypageZsearch
oh, okay..cool..thanks for the info...do you know how much the dealership chargers per fob by any chance? so i can compare

just read it was 300 for the remote?!? that cant be right
Old 08-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Administrator

The keyfob is #16 in this picture. The cost shown is list $78.27, discount price $66.53
http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnysi...All&vinsrch=no

You can ask the service manager if he will charge you anything if you buy the keyfob from the dealer.

If he wants too much, or if you want to do it yourself, you can follow these instructions.

PROGRAMMING THE REMOTE TRANSMITTER (KEYFOB)

Storing transmitter codes.
The codes of up to three transmitters can be stored into the keyless receiver unit memory. (If a fourth code is stored, the code which was first input will be erased.)

NOTE: It is important to maintain the time limits between the steps. Make sure the doors, the hood and the trunk lid are closed.

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II)

2. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver unit behind the driver’s side of the dashboard.

3. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

4. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).

5. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver unit behind the driver’s side of the dashboard.

6. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

7. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).

8. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver unit behind the driver’s side of the dashboard.

9. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

10. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).

11. Within 1 to 4 seconds, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver unit behind the driver’s side of the dashboard.

12. Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators within 1 to 4 seconds, then push the transmitter lock or unlock button again, or the code will not be stored.

13. Within 10 seconds, aim the transmitter (up to two additional ones) whose codes you want to store in the keyless receiver, and press the transmitter lock or unlock buttons. Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.

14. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and remove the key.

15. Confirm proper operation with the transmitters.

NOTE: Once the programming mode is entered, the remote button must be pressed a second time. If the button is not pressed, or if the ignition switch is turned OFF, the programming for all remotes will be cancelled.
The following 17 users liked this post by Ron A:
bigmutt (04-23-2016), forward (09-23-2020), hannamand (07-30-2019), hens73 (08-14-2015), IIDXholic (06-10-2012), illest tsx (05-20-2012), lam824 (01-01-2012), MBLiberty (07-03-2019), MEKO (03-13-2013), paperboy42190 (04-20-2013), Shoot2Thrill (08-05-2012), spacer (03-08-2013), the425th (03-08-2013), theguywiththe6spd (01-29-2022), TL'S TL (01-15-2015), WestB (03-01-2013), Xcivicb (09-29-2012) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Advanced

ron a:

wow, thanks for the link and the information.

so basically, when i buy my fob from this site, i do the turn ignition on and off for 3 cycles, then turn it on and press key fob 1, then key fob 2...or start the whole cycle again for key 2?

also, when i do this process, will the Information Display still indicate DRIVER 1 and DRIVER 2 and will the memory seat still work?

again, thanks for you help. info was great.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cable
ron a:

wow, thanks for the link and the information.

so basically, when i buy my fob from this site, i do the turn ignition on and off for 3 cycles, then turn it on and press key fob 1, then key fob 2...or start the whole cycle again for key 2?

also, when i do this process, will the Information Display still indicate DRIVER 1 and DRIVER 2 and will the memory seat still work?

again, thanks for you help. info was great.
1. You're welcome.

2. Who can remember all that? When you are ready, print out the instructions, and follow them to the letter. You have already left out a step in what you said above, but with the instructions right there, you will be OK. May take a couple of tries, but not that hard either.

3. There are two keyfobs listed, No. 1 and No. 2. Make sure you get the one that corresponds to the one you messed up. Then the MID will work and the memory seat will work and everything else that worked before will work.

The instructions say three key fobs can be programmed, and since there are only #1 and #2 sold, I guess the third keyfob has to be either 1 or 2. There is no provision for a #3 in the MID, I guess, so the third one would work the same as one of the other two. Just a clarification for someone else who may read this and need this information.
The following users liked this post:
hannamand (07-30-2019)
Old 08-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ron A
1. You're welcome.

2. Who can remember all that? When you are ready, print out the instructions, and follow them to the letter. You have already left out a step in what you said above, but with the instructions right there, you will be OK. May take a couple of tries, but not that hard either.

3. There are two keyfobs listed, No. 1 and No. 2. Make sure you get the one that corresponds to the one you messed up. Then the MID will work and the memory seat will work and everything else that worked before will work.

The instructions say three key fobs can be programmed, and since there are only #1 and #2 sold, I guess the third keyfob has to be either 1 or 2. There is no provision for a #3 in the MID, I guess, so the third one would work the same as one of the other two. Just a clarification for someone else who may read this.
thanks again Ron A!! very helpful info! i think it'll be much cheaper than going to the dealer. ya, i do plan on printing the steps out. haha

3. There are two keyfobs listed, No. 1 and No. 2. Make sure you get the one that corresponds to the one you messed up.

i'll be ordering #16 from that list you sent, which is key fob 1. although it is only key fob 1, i will still need to reprogram both when i follow the instructions correct?!
Old 08-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Administrator

As I said, there are two #16 shown. The Part No. for #1 is 72147-SEP-A52, while the Part No. for #2 is 72147-SEP-A62, so be sure and order or ask for the part number for keyfob #1.

You don't need to reprogram keyfob #2 because its code is already stored in the receiver. Make sure you follow the instructions in the last NOTE in the instructions, or you will be reprogramming both 1 and 2.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Advanced

As I said, there are two #16 shown. The Part No. for #1 is 72147-SEP-A52, while the Part No. for #2 is 72147-SEP-A62, so be sure and order or ask for the part number for keyfob #1.

You don't need to reprogram keyfob #2 because its code is already stored in the receiver. Make sure you follow the instructions in the last NOTE in the instructions, or you will be reprogramming both 1 and 2.
ah, gotcha. thanks for your help! definitely calmed me down. i thought it was going to be costly. i'll let ya know when i try it out.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:21 AM
Advanced

wow, the dealer wanted $110 for the key fob and $90 to program it...man, you would think that if you got the car thru them, that they'll cut you a break!

has anyone ever ordered from http://www.keylessride.com, they offer replacement factory remotes for cars...the TL comes to $54...

trying to save a few bucks...or should i stick with the acura site for $66?
Old 08-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Racer

Should make this a sticky or put it in the garage (somebody already suggest this - didn't read every word of all the posts since I don't need this yet).
Old 08-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cable
wow, the dealer wanted $110 for the key fob and $90 to program it...man, you would think that if you got the car thru them, that they'll cut you a break!

has anyone ever ordered from http://www.keylessride.com, they offer replacement factory remotes for cars...the TL comes to $54...

trying to save a few bucks...or should i stick with the acura site for $66?
I never heard of them, but you can call them and confirm if it is actually the original factory remote, which I guess it is, but who knows. If it isn't I would go with the Acura site, if it is, you will have to decide. They also say the remote comes with instructions (which you have but it is a nice thing that they provide this), and telephone help. If you do order from keylessride, let me know how it works out. If they are good, I will put their link up with the instructions so people will find it more easily.

Originally Posted by MyJohnson
Should make this a sticky or put it in the garage (somebody already suggest this - didn't read every word of all the posts since I don't need this yet).
You are the first. Thank you for your suggestion. It is now in the 3G Garage.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ron, Thats great info... Is it from the service manual?

Old 08-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Advanced

I never heard of them, but you can call them and confirm if it is actually the original factory remote, which I guess it is, but who knows. If it isn't I would go with the Acura site, if it is, you will have to decide. They also say the remote comes with instructions (which you have but it is a nice thing that they provide this), and telephone help. If you do order from keylessride, let me know how it works out. If they are good, I will put their link up with the instructions so people will find it more easily.

ron:
i'll let you know how it goes. i would of felt a little more comfortable ordering from the acura site, in terms of guaranteeing its a factory remote, but the place has it for $18 cheaper, shipped. when i called they did say it was genuine factory and they also have a couple of retail locations in the states. so i'm assuming its ok. they said since its a new car, so they have a slight backorder on this product, but should ship in 5 days. they also have a 30 day satiscation guarantee, so if its not up to par, i'll return it and get the one from acura site. i'll keep you posted. customer service was nice also.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Intermediate

WHAT IS FOB?? The only FOB I know is "Fresh Off the Boat!" :-D
Old 10-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Hey guys I want to do this mod and thought that the instruction that you posted Ron A were a little bit unclear. You say to push either lock or unlock... am I supposed to hit lock one time, then unlock the next time? What about the trunk?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by stavebomb
Hey guys I want to do this mod and thought that the instruction that you posted Ron A were a little bit unclear. You say to push either lock or unlock... am I supposed to hit lock one time, then unlock the next time? What about the trunk?
You can push either lock or unlock, it doesn't matter which, to program.

The trunk doesn't enter into this procedure. Just press lock or unlock.

To make it simpler, just press the lock button all the time.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Racer

Then start it all over again and do the unlock. Then again for the trunk? Or when you do LOCK it programs them all?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by stavebomb
Then start it all over again and do the unlock. Then again for the trunk? Or when you do LOCK it programs them all?
When you press lock or unlock during programming, and complete the sequence correctly, it programs the receiver to accept commands from the keyfob.

You are programming the keyfob to the receiver, not to the individual locks. So the lock or unlock key is only a method to send a signal to the receiver and has nothing to do with the actual operation of the door locks or the trunk lock during programming.

When the receiver gets the proper signal, it doesn't care which keyfob it is from, it will open the doors or the trunk.

The key fob (transmitter) is numbered 1 or 2. This tells the receiver which driver is going to use the car and sets the memory positions accordingly.
hens73 (08-14-2015)
Old 11-10-2005, 03:20 AM
Cruisin'

I'm assuming its for an 04 TL remote the previous links, but I've found them for only $29 on ThePartsYouNeed.com when I was searching for my 02.

Here's the 04 listing:

https://www.thepartsyouneed.com/disp...hg?productId=6
Old 11-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Racer

They are talking about the Honda one, where the lock and unlock and trunk buttons are on the key, not the Acura one.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Intermediate

my friend bought a key with the key fob buttons on the key (like the accords have) for his TSX...he was telling me i could get this for the TL also and have the dealer cut it for me...im considering doing this bc i try to keep my key chains with as minimally bulk as possible...

anyone else heard of this?
Old 11-12-2005, 12:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vupac1
my friend bought a key with the key fob buttons on the key (like the accords have) for his TSX...he was telling me i could get this for the TL also and have the dealer cut it for me...im considering doing this bc i try to keep my key chains with as minimally bulk as possible...

anyone else heard of this?
Couple of people with 04-05 TL have done this mod. Check out this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125734 for more info....
Old 09-18-2006, 12:22 AM
Pro

hey you know what i know this thread is old but the dealer does it for free i got the instructions from the guy just about a year ago. he said its all free all i have to do was just exactly as ron stated. and he said if i needed help just bring my car there and they can help me but i got it done really quick.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:17 PM
6th Gear

disabling lost remote transmitter / keyfob

If you lose a remote transmitter / keyfob, and you purchase a new one, wouldn't you also want to disable the old one? Same with the keys with the transponders in them.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

1. You're welcome.

The instructions say three key fobs can be programmed, and since there are only #1 and #2 sold, I guess the third keyfob has to be either 1 or 2. There is no provision for a #3 in the MID, I guess, so the third one would work the same as one of the other two. Just a clarification for someone else who may read this and need this information.
Ron A--Just checking that the programming instructions listed on this page still apply to a 2005 TL. The post is a couple years old, and I haven't been able to find instructions posted more recently.
thanks!
Old 04-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by savesavesave
Ron A--Just checking that the programming instructions listed on this page still apply to a 2005 TL. The post is a couple years old, and I haven't been able to find instructions posted more recently.
thanks!
It should apply to all 3G TL's. I don't think there were any changes, including the 07, which should affect programming the remote transmitter.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:07 PM
10th Gear

Do these instructions allow someone to program the 2007 switchblade key to a 2005?? I've tried searching with no luck...thanks.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:28 PM
10th Gear

2 or 3?

Is it possible that on the '07s only 2 remotes can be programmed? cause I have 3 remotes and when I try to program them, the first one I program never works. I've tried doing it in different orders, but the same thing happens every time. any suggestions?
Old 08-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Advanced

I bought a used #1 remote on Ebay (I already have the #2), and tried to program it exactly as you described. It didn't work. My car, BTW, is an '03 TL-S. The remotes look exactly the same as each other, except that the little FCC number on the back is different. Does this matter? Does it matter that my car is a 2nd gen?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:04 PM
05 DGP/Parch

Ellcapitan:
After recently researching and buying a new remote for my 05 TL, my understanding is that the FCC number has to be the same as the original.
Took about 37 attempts but I fanally got mine programmed this afternoon!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:36 AM
2nd Gear

Wrong Remote?

I recently bought an '04 TL and there was no remote with it. I bought a used remote on-line, but after numerous tries by myself and others, cannot get it to program.

The number 2733A3 is stamped inside the case. The circuit board says OMRON G8D-444H-A on it. Does this mean it is the wrong remote?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Administrator

The back of the case shows the numbers you need, which I have copied below. Since your numbers are different (G8D-444H-A) the keyfob will not work.

Codes for 3G TL (from an 04 but I think other years are the same)
FCC: OUCG8D-387H-A
IC: 850G-G8D387HA
and below these it shows GHD-387HA
hens73 (08-14-2015)
Old 12-28-2007, 06:39 AM
8th Gear

Angry Directions came with remote but not working from Ebay

I ordered the remote from ebay. It came with directions on "how to." I sat there and tried it for 2 hours...still not working..
Old 04-03-2008, 07:24 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my pc printer is down and I just sent this link to work so tomorrow I'll print it and try it ...my sister sold her '06 TL and the dealer never asked for her "spare" one which she used a few times so I hope I can re-program it as my very used fob is on it's last leg, the trunk button almost never works....any thoughts on this??...
Old 04-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Intermediate

i have a 05 TL, will the 07-08 model remote work with my 05. Because i wanna get the benefit of one piece key and remote. thanks
Old 05-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Are the 04-06 programming instructions the same for 07-08 model tl's?
Old 05-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Lazy Idiot

Arrow

Originally Posted by thrlride
Are the 04-06 programming instructions the same for 07-08 model tl's?
Yes, they should work
Old 05-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Instructor

the previous owner of my car didn't give me any of the keyfobs, they just gave me a single key.

How do I know which remote to buy? Isn't there a chip in the key? How do I know which key to match with the switchblade remote?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

How do you know when your car has actually entered program mode? Is there a display somewhere? I have been trying and trying to program the remotes that came with the car from a used car lot. I think they messed up and gave me the wrong remotes because neither one has a button where the trunk release would normally be. It's just an empty place on the remote.

Quick Reply: Programming the remote transmitter/keyfob 3G Garage #L-079