Notices
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master Pro Chassis Ball Joint

 
Old 06-12-2019, 11:32 AM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Age: 32
Posts: 20
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Master Pro Chassis Ball Joint

Hi everyone,

I recently had a new ball joint installed on my 04 TL (101k miles). I read about the dreaded MOOG K500117 addressed at length here: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-t...beware-805131/

I did not read the thread, or know about the issue with that particular ball joint until AFTER it was installed.

My question for you guys: I talked with the shop and the balljoint they ordered and installed was not a MOOG, but a Master Pro, but it has the same part number as the MOOG (K500117). You can see the part on O'Reilly's here: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...500117/4500663
Is this the same balljoint that everyone was saying caused issues back in 2011 or has it been updated? It still does NOT come with the standard castle nut and cotter pin. However, it does appear to come with a locking nut that the shop said had some sort of glue or something that when tightened helps keep it in place.

What are your thoughts? Am I doomed? I realize I should go with OEM next time, but I was unaware they were even replacing the balljoint to begin with, thought they were just doing a new control arm/bushings.

Thanks!
Bucsfan11 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 12:26 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
TheSauceBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Columbus, OH
Age: 25
Posts: 243
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm probably just paranoid but I wouldn't install any ball joint that didn't have a castle nut and a cotter pin. It seems like the couple failures described in that thread were directly related to the joint falling out of the LCA
TheSauceBoss is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:22 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: HERE
Age: 44
Posts: 712
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
First you said you read the thread, then you said you didn't read it..... and you had that disastrous ball joint installed.
t-rd is online now  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:53 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Age: 32
Posts: 20
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheSauceBoss View Post
I'm probably just paranoid but I wouldn't install any ball joint that didn't have a castle nut and a cotter pin. It seems like the couple failures described in that thread were directly related to the joint falling out of the LCA
Yeah... That was also my concern. Now I am paranoid.
Bucsfan11 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:56 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Age: 32
Posts: 20
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
First you said you read the thread, then you said you didn't read it..... and you had that disastrous ball joint installed.
Huh? I read the thread after the balljoint was installed on Saturday. Read the thread Saturday evening. Probably wouldn't have even known about the issue had it not been on the main page of the tires, wheels and suspension forum.
Bucsfan11 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:21 PM
  #6  
CAD Guy
 
05 Acura TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Age: 25
Posts: 62
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSauceBoss View Post
I'm probably just paranoid but I wouldn't install any ball joint that didn't have a castle nut and a cotter pin. It seems like the couple failures described in that thread were directly related to the joint falling out of the LCA
From what I remember from that thread it wasn't the ball joint coming out because there wasn't a castle nut, it was because the flange on the nut was too small and was sitting on the ball joint sleeve in the lower control arm, which is a press fit and since the nut never actually touched the control arm it would just pull the ball joint with the sleeve and nut still attached out of the control arm.

The newer version of at least the Moog ball joint has a nut with a larger flange on it which grabs the control arm rather than the sleeve (however this wouldn't be an issue if that sleeve wasn't pressed in and was part of the control arm like a lot of after market ones are).

If the masterpro one has the same style of nut as the Moog I think you will be fine, I would be more worried about the longevity of the ball joint its self, when I worked at oreilly's in my college days we would warranty those parts constantly. I know a lot of people don't like using non castle nuts on parts like these, but those prevailing torque style nuts with some thread locker don't really come loose unless you force it. However that being said, I would still opt for an OEM ball joint when you can.

Last edited by 05 Acura TL; 06-12-2019 at 04:23 PM.
05 Acura TL is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Bucsfan11 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:16 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,514
Received 613 Likes on 474 Posts
Thread locker seems like an OK idea until you go go disassemble the joint and the taper breaks before the nut threads out.

Then there you'll be....looking towards the sky, asking why the universe has forsaken you.

Anyway, as a previous poster mentioned...the failing ball joints were failing because they fastened to the sleeve instead of the LCA. This type of bad aftermarket design happens more often than you think. Aftermarket parts cost less than OEM for a reason. Mainly that R&D/testing costs money.

Regardless of the retention, the only sure bet is a factory part. The aftermarket one may last 1 mile or 50,000 miles. No way to tell. It varies part by part. Two of the same part won't even have the same span of life.
BROlando is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Bucsfan11 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:04 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
nfnsquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MAGA country
Posts: 11,777
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,266 Posts
What's the difference in price between aftermarket and OEM? Maybe $40? I'd go back to the shop and tell them you want them to install OEM, especially since they didn't ask before doing so.
nfnsquared is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Bucsfan11 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 09:27 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Age: 32
Posts: 20
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05 Acura TL View Post
From what I remember from that thread it wasn't the ball joint coming out because there wasn't a castle nut, it was because the flange on the nut was too small and was sitting on the ball joint sleeve in the lower control arm, which is a press fit and since the nut never actually touched the control arm it would just pull the ball joint with the sleeve and nut still attached out of the control arm.

The newer version of at least the Moog ball joint has a nut with a larger flange on it which grabs the control arm rather than the sleeve (however this wouldn't be an issue if that sleeve wasn't pressed in and was part of the control arm like a lot of after market ones are).

If the masterpro one has the same style of nut as the Moog I think you will be fine, I would be more worried about the longevity of the ball joint its self, when I worked at oreilly's in my college days we would warranty those parts constantly. I know a lot of people don't like using non castle nuts on parts like these, but those prevailing torque style nuts with some thread locker don't really come loose unless you force it. However that being said, I would still opt for an OEM ball joint when you can.

Hey man, I really appreciate the detailed reply! You are right, it did talk about the nut actually not being big enough to cover the entire surface. When/if these need serviced again I will be taking it to my Acura/Honda dealership for OEM! Sadly, I was way too reactionary and thought I needed to get this fixed ASAP and could not get in at the dealership for over a week due to my work schedule and daycare drop off/pick up times with my kid. In hindsight I wish I would have just chilled a few days and made a more clear choice.

Thanks again!!
Bucsfan11 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
TheSauceBoss (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 09:32 AM
  #10  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Age: 32
Posts: 20
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey BROlando (awesome name haha) I appreciate that. I had done motor mounts, timing belt, water pump, other routine maintenance all through the dealership previously since I have owned the car (since 2013) but sadly was very reactionary this time and made a poor choice. Lesson learned. Thanks again!
Bucsfan11 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Carmodifier
2G CL Tires, Wheels, & Suspension
12
06-29-2010 02:18 PM
Cruz_msl
Car Talk
5
10-10-2006 02:37 PM
highspeedspecialist
Car Parts for Sale
1
04-02-2006 08:05 PM
Sumaccordguy1994
Car Parts for Sale
0
02-25-2006 12:24 AM
antbo
Car Parts for Sale
2
05-12-2004 03:40 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Master Pro Chassis Ball Joint


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.