Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

difference between TL and Accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
difference between TL and Accord

I'm happy with my TL and have no regrets about choosing it over the accord. We all know it has more horsepower, but specifically what exactly did they do to the TL to distance it from a Accord EX-V6.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:41 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

NO OPTIONS!! Thats the major difference. The TL (in Montreal), comes with all the accesories. You still have some packages you can choose but that's about it.

The Accord as alot of options you can add when you buy it from a dealer.

Oh! I forgot, 07 has a Type S version now! lol

Originally Posted by lowgrowl
I'm happy with my TL and have no regrets about choosing it over the accord. We all know it has more horsepower, but specifically what exactly did they do to the TL to distance it from a Accord EX-V6.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:12 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I l love everything about my tl except the ride. I feel every bump in the road. For the price of this car ,one would expect better. I have an 05tl. Larry4532,turbonut.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Buy a Lexus if you want a smooth ride. But don't expect to have any fun in it.
Corvettes ride very firm, thats why they are so fun. Power and handling.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by larry4532
I l love everything about my tl except the ride. I feel every bump in the road. For the price of this car ,one would expect better. I have an 05tl. Larry4532,turbonut.
Welcome to Acurazine!

That said,
The whole purpose of the TL is to provide a sporty ride, which is what most people expect for the price. You would be a good candidate for an RL. Time to trade!

The OP's question is more relevant than ever because the Accord has more options now than it did when the 3G TL was released. Back then, it was a no-brainer to make a decision between Accord EX-V6 and the TL. Now, you can get everything the TL has except for a (minimally) more power engine--not including TL-S--and Bluetooth. So it basically comes down to how much luxury you want, whether you like the look (the TL wins there--the Accord is fugly) and whether you want your car fully optioned out.

This is an issue on Honda's SUV side as well. My wife and I had to make a decision recently about whether to purchase an MDX or a Pilot. In that case, since we've got a kid to cart around, we went for the Pilot because for less money we got everything except for

a) more powerful engine--wife drives like a granny, so no issue there
b) BT--I put in a Motorola HFM 1000 voice system, so no issue there
c) Seat memory--I constantly whine about it but wife loves her Pilot, so no love there
d) Soft, wonderful leather--the Pilot's leather sucks ass compared to the X or my RL.

So the wife decided it was worth not spending another $14-15k or so, despite my prodding her toward my preference, the MDX.

Oh well, I've got my RL, at least!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
+1
Old 06-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VmtSquad
NO OPTIONS!! Thats the major difference. The TL (in Montreal), comes with all the accesories. You still have some packages you can choose but that's about it.

The Accord as alot of options you can add when you buy it from a dealer.

Oh! I forgot, 07 has a Type S version now! lol
sorry to jack the thread...

VMTSQUAD you know a good sales person/dealer in montreal? my uncle is trying to get a TL there but that freaking sales is not giving him discount.... =)

he wants to get TL after being in mine! =)
Old 06-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Racer

TL has 11 more horses and 23 more FTLBS torque, has HIDS, bluetooth, stiffer suspension and memory seats. However, it's also $8-$10K more....
Old 06-28-2007, 08:18 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One MAJOR difference is insulation; accords are much louder on the road than a TL is.

There's also a bit of difference in interior component quality, and I can't say for sure, but I think the accord still lacks a one touch moonroof.. and the buttons are still in the wrong place.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
is the accord bigger than the tl??
Old 06-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by VQPower37
nope, same size about, the TSX has a somewhat body similar to the TL and TSX wertrain, engine, and interior. THe V6 modles have the TL engine, driveterrain and the TSX interior. The TL is much more finely refined for comfort and looks. It is a fusion of luxur, power and technology with a view of agressivness on the outside with a soft, comfotable inside with a beast of a motor. The Accord is just there for the people who cannot afford the luxury and refinement of the TL, but need the space.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Acuras Only in

I used to joke with my friends that I bought the TL because I want the reliability of a accord AND the performance of of an Acura ...
Old 06-28-2007, 09:20 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
nope, same size about, the TSX has a somewhat body similar to the TL and TSX wertrain, engine, and interior. THe V6 modles have the TL engine, driveterrain and the TSX interior. The TL is much more finely refined for comfort and looks. It is a fusion of luxur, power and technology with a view of agressivness on the outside with a soft, comfotable inside with a beast of a motor. The Accord is just there for the people who cannot afford the luxury and refinement of the TL, but need the space.
There are so many things wrong with what you said, the most obvious being your lack of ability to spell.

The Accord was not created because people can't afford a TL, that's a shitty answer and makes you look like an idiot. There are people who don't like the TL, but they like the Accord, and it's quite possible they are not poor.

The TSX is based off the European Accord.
The TL is based off the US Accord.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VQPower37
sort of at least when i compared the tl and v6 accord sedan in msn auto compare. The tl has more passanger room. head room, shoulder room, hip room. But the accord has more cargo room and fold down rear seats.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmahh
There are so many things wrong with what you said, the most obvious being your lack of ability to spell.

The Accord was not created because people can't afford a TL, that's a shitty answer and makes you look like an idiot. There are people who don't like the TL, but they like the Accord, and it's quite possible they are not poor.

The TSX is based off the European Accord.
The TL is based off the US Accord.
I am typing this from a mobile phone, so excuse my spelling. Secondly, I was sharing my knowledge and my point of the differences between the accord and the TL. What i meant by the pricing thing that people cannot afford was mis-worded due to a haste in typing. What i meant was that people seeking a car with a budget of 28K would rather go for an accord than a non-navi TL, due to a price difference, they are getting almost the same options, but there is a difference in about 5k, which is a lot of money. I did not say anything about being poor, what it also meant was the accord is for people who do not have a benefit from having ELS surround sound, leather seats and all the other gadgets and want a car that is reliable and simple. I do admit that i put the wrong words in before, but this is what i mean.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:30 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm wondering if the TL's engine and transmission is tuned differently than the accords. More for performance. I also think the intake and exhaust are not the same.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
I have an '04 Accord, so I'd like to chime in.

Three and a half years ago, if I could have afforded the TL, I would have gotten it. Mistake on my part, and I won't be making that again. At the time, the difference between the TL and the EX V6 with navigation, was not worth the price. The difference, that I can think of, are as follows:

-Slightly larger brakes.
-VSA
-Preforated leather
-Rear-seat cooling vents
-ELS 5.1 Surround Sound system
-Decorative plastic on interior engine bay
-HID headlights
-Protective molding around trunk hinge
-Memory seats
-One-touch moonroof
-Auto-dim rear-view mirror
-Standard 17" wheels
-More powerful engine

To me, all those things were not worth the price. However, I still like the TL because I like the way it looks.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
I have an '04 Accord, so I'd like to chime in.

Three and a half years ago, if I could have afforded the TL, I would have gotten it. Mistake on my part, and I won't be making that again. At the time, the difference between the TL and the EX V6 with navigation, was not worth the price. The difference, that I can think of, are as follows:

-Slightly larger brakes.
-VSA
-Preforated leather
-Rear-seat cooling vents
-ELS 5.1 Surround Sound system
-Decorative plastic on interior engine bay
-HID headlights
-Protective molding around trunk hinge
-Memory seats
-One-touch moonroof
-Auto-dim rear-view mirror
-Standard 17" wheels
-More powerful engine

To me, all those things were not worth the price. However, I still like the TL because I like the way it looks.
As others have said the TL is based on the Accord, basically it is an upscale version of the Accord EX-V6, which is a good thing, as both cars have similar HP and Torque, reliability, fuel economy and resale value. The TL is a little more performance and luxury based and is by far the sharpest looking.

I think most people that can afford the top of the line Accord, can also afford the TL as the monthly payment is only about $100 more. The question that comes up is, are the extras you get with the TL worth the extra $7-$10k? Part of me says HELL YES!!! The practical part of me says no. This time the practical part won, however, I think once I pay down the Accord to where I owe less than it's worth, the other part is going to win. I just hope they don't mess up the cars looks when they redo it........
Old 06-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
Corvettes ride very firm, thats why they are so fun. Power and handling.

Depends on the which model corvette and the rider...my friend has the 07 c6 and says the ride is actually pretty mushy
Old 06-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

The difference between Accord and TL is luxury. But to feel what luxury means - just sit in both cars and try driving them. You'll see how they stand on the road, you'll see the noise difference, power, responsivness and so on. You'll see how you feel about yourself when you sit in the more luxury TL or less luxury Accord.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, you'd be surprised with the quality of the 07 Accord EX-L V6. It is very upscale and compared to previous model Accords. The ride quality is very close to the TL (not type S). The TL is slightly stiffer and quieter, but only by a little. My brother in law has the 07 Accord EX-L V6 and from sitting in it and driving it, it does make me wonder why I didn't get an Accord. Ofcourse, I have no regrets with my TL as it is more powerful, has a much more aggressive stance, and timeless body design.

As nice as the EX-L Accord is, I did notice one huge difference between the 07 Accord and the 07TL, as well as the 04-06TL. The interior materials quality makes the world of difference in luxury. Especially the LEATHER upholstery. The leather quality of 07TL is amazing. It is on par with BMW BENZ LEXUS. It is soft and lacks the "dimple bumps" found in the Accord's leather, and I think its better than the 06TL's leather quality as well. (I thought I read it somewhere that Acura aimed to improve the leather quality of their vehicles).

I believe the Accord also gets better mileage, as my mileage is lousy due to stop and go traffic. The 07 Hybrid Accord definitely gives the TL a run for it's money. The power is there, the exterior ammenities are very luxurious (better taillights, wheels, and turn signal mirrors). You can get OEM HID headlight housings as well(from overseas or some place that supplies them, not a dealership), but then youre taking the price closer to that of the TL.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, and I almost forgot. The navi screen on my TL is much bigger than my brother in law's Accord's navi. The Accord's navi also has trip computer in the navi menu, where TL doesn't but does have rearview camera. The trip computer on the 07 Accord appears to be more informative and displays neat telemetry where as the TL's is in a little box near the speedometer. Maybe someone has figured out how to show trip computer in the navi? I still haven't figured out how to display the time to reach destination at the speed I am travelling at. Is this possible in the TL's navi? I read that it was...
Old 06-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Okay...I traded a 2007 Accord in on the TL and lost alot of money, I was upside down by $1800, not to mention the money I lost because I traded a 2003 Accord Coupe on the 2007 Accord. It was worth it to me to lose all of that money if that tells you anything about my feelings on the Accord.

I was not happy with the Accord; I had some major buyers remorse the next day.
Here's what I disliked:
*Boring interior after looking at it a few days, leather was hard and felt cheap
*Bad seats
*IMO, the ride was terrible, I love the TL, sporty but comfortable
*Lots of road noise at higher speeds

The Accord has a better trunk space and the back seat was roomier for my toddler, but the TL works out fine and we adjusted to it.

I think I expected too much out of the Accord, plus I like the color selection that Acura offers.
No regrets here!!
Old 06-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Friend Bought an 07v6 accord with almost everything in it. That time i had leased a 2006TL which i had to give back cause they jumped from $500 to $700 Monthly, WHAT? $700 monthly for a TL? thats too much..... Anyways back to the topic, his 07V6 had almost the same quiteness on the road as TL. Yeah, it lacks a little bit of interior looks and exterior looks, but i didnt find any other difference in the 07v6. It Takes off just as nice as a TL, But yeah thats 1 thing that TL has more stiffer suspension than the Accord.
I wouldnt care if the TL is &5000 more expensive than the accord. Atleast it has a better interior in Looks, and Stiffer Suspension is WAY TO GO!!!
If somebody doesnt care about the interior and stiffer suspesion doesnt matter, neither the LOOKS, Nor the ACURA BADGE!!! Hello?? ACURA BADGE?? can sure go for an Accord
Old 06-29-2007, 04:58 PM
me,gill,and tl-s

I have to say that the TL and the accord are different in alot of ways but the TSX and the accord are exactly the same
Old 06-29-2007, 06:05 PM
10th Gear

I had a 2000 EX-V6 coupe and I am driving a 2006 TL.
For me, the difference is tuning and refinement, and of course the look.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Stock 07 TL NBP

2003 Accord EX V6
- a light car and you can feel it, 3.0 V6 engine
- seating seems a little more spacious than TL. im 6'2" and the TL feels crowded
- has this wind noise when you exceed 60km/h or so from the side mirrors
- a little smoother than TL but not like a Toyota/Lexus
- doesn't have SS mode
- not as fun to drive compared to the TL in terms of handling/turning
- easy and cheap to maintain

2007 Acura TL
- good technology package (bluetooth, tire psi monitor, oil monitor, good sound system, HID etc...)
- feels heavy when driving i guess because of the 3.2 litre engine or 3.5 for those who have type s
- handles and drives like a sports car or almost like a sports car
- doesn't have the best new car smell
- one of the nicest looking cars
- eats up a little more gas compared to the Accord
- very high maintainance costs

In conclusion i would recommend the Accord for younger families and the TL for older families.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Racer

I added a 20MM TL sway bar to my Accord and now it handles great and only cost me $50. I have a better Navi than the TL, I have a bluetooth headset for my phone already, I'm the only one who drives my car so no need for memory seats and HID's aren't a big deal..I can add them if I choose. However, the TL is a MUCH better looking car, both inside and out. Both are great cars and you can't really go wrong with either one. So enjoy your cars!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 07:18 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I drove my buddy's brand new 2006 Accord EX that had EVERYTHING in it. He paid $32,000 for it....I was like, "wait doesn't this car go for like $18k???". He laughed and said "yea maybe for the cheapo 4-cylinder Civic wannabe version!" He said this was as fully loaded as you can get with navigation and every accessory including the spoiler, fogs, +1 wheels etc. He was so happy nearly bragging and trying to hide his pride. Supposedly he got some kind of awesome deal since he said it was "much" cheaper than an Acura.

I drove the car and I was really, really suprised!! I expected the car to be Camry-like. No way! The car was nothing like the previous generation Accord either. It was so smooth and powerful and the suspension was great it was so.....so...Acura!! The interior was a big improvement as well. One downside is there is excess road noise (same as plagued in the Civic. Luckily no Acuras have carried over this Honda trait) I walked away really impressed. But $32K I thought??

A year later I bought my brand new TL with all the same equipment including the navi for $30,900. The Accord is very close but doesn't beat the TL in any category INCLUDING price! When my friend saw me I drove up real cool with a smirk; I couldn't help it.

My friend still this day doesn't believe that's all I paid. He says theres no way I got 5k off the sticker. I told him he dosen't know how to hustle because there is no way in hell I'd ever pay $32k for an Accord. Somebody suckered him. I guess I'm good because I just got $6000 off sticker for my Lexus ES350 last month. Nobody believes me there either.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:29 PM
King of NYC

Originally Posted by mikiTL
Maybe someone has figured out how to show trip computer in the navi?
Yes it has been figured out. Many of us have hacked the Navigation to get access to the trip computer, HVAC controls and the most important thing....to bypass that nagging "OK" screen. I can't live without it!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

32k for an Accord

That's what some of these 07 Altimas are going for too
Old 06-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Racer

I bought an 06 Accord EX V-6 w/Navi for $27K OTD back in August. For $32K you can get a TL. MSRP is just under $30K for the Accord EX V6 w/navi.....
Old 06-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by chfields
TL has 11 more horses and 23 more FTLBS torque, has HIDS, bluetooth, stiffer suspension and memory seats. However, it's also $8-$10K more....
That's bit of a miss representation. A fully optioned Accord that approaches all of the accoutremants of a TL is in the low $30K range. Not including BT and ELS audio the TL is several thousands more compared to a fully loaded accord. Then again one is paying a couple of thousand mark up for the Acura brand name.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I went from an 03 accord ex to 07 Type S. I can tell you it is day and night for me. The hp was obvious, but the fit and finish is worlds apart. I can feel how luxurious is it to sit in my TL compared to the Accord. As some of you have already mentioned, the road noise is a big difference too. The TL has the far better suspension (given it's the type S of course) and much less body roll. And in terms of styling, the TL is one of the best looking vehicles around...better than the IS, GS, base 3 series bmw, or the cheapy mercedes c230. Two years into driving my new 03 Accord, I told myself that the TL would be my next vehicle. The TL just catches my attention everytime I'm on the road.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JAB00
That's bit of a miss representation. A fully optioned Accord that approaches all of the accoutremants of a TL is in the low $30K range. Not including BT and ELS audio the TL is several thousands more compared to a fully loaded accord. Then again one is paying a couple of thousand mark up for the Acura brand name.
My Accord is fully optioned and was $27K OTD and the TL is (if your lucky $32K + tax,lic,etc..). OTD price is anywhere from $5-8K more for TL. Where is the misrepresentation?
Old 06-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

let's compare apples to apples since prices vary by region and so do taxes, doc fees....

a brand new Accord w/ Navi, cassette, fog lights and auto/dim feature is 30,880 (MSRP) according to the honda website.

a brand new TL w/ Navi is 36,795 MSRP.

difference is $5915. so for almost 6k more you get the acura name, better looking car (subjective of course), slightly more hp and torque, HID's, ELS, memory seats, longer warranty, Acura Total Care which includes roadside assistance concierge services. Maybe a few other things. if that is worth 6k then the TL is great. if not, then get the Accord
Old 06-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Syed
2003 Accord EX V6
- a light car and you can feel it, 3.0 V6 engine
- seating seems a little more spacious than TL. im 6'2" and the TL feels crowded
- has this wind noise when you exceed 60km/h or so from the side mirrors
- a little smoother than TL but not like a Toyota/Lexus
- doesn't have SS mode
- not as fun to drive compared to the TL in terms of handling/turning
- easy and cheap to maintain

2007 Acura TL
- good technology package (bluetooth, tire psi monitor, oil monitor, good sound system, HID etc...)
- feels heavy when driving i guess because of the 3.2 litre engine or 3.5 for those who have type s
- handles and drives like a sports car or almost like a sports car
- doesn't have the best new car smell
- one of the nicest looking cars
- eats up a little more gas compared to the Accord
- very high maintainance costs

In conclusion i would recommend the Accord for younger families and the TL for older families.

Why higher maintainance costs? Is it the higher parts prices for Acura cars or higher dealer per hour charges?
Old 06-30-2007, 07:31 PM
King of NYC

Just checked the Honda website. My friend definitely got ripped. The base MSRP is $29,400 but with all his acessories it comes to $32,900. He said that there was no discounts on the car at the time since it was a new redesign and the car was in such high demand. He got $900 off because his family bought an Accord from them in 1994 and the salesman "hooked them up." LOL!!!

I guess my Acura dealer was my cousin because he sold me my TL $1500 below invoice....and my newly designed, high demand ES350 I got at $1800 below invoice!

I'd never ever pay over $25k for any Accord, be it an EX, Navi or V6, whatever, that's all they're worth. It can try to be close to an Acura all it wants to be, but anybody paying more is not getting their money's worth.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^^^^

Damm that sucks about paying 32k for a Accord. Your buddy should have check out driveaccord.net and asked what people are paying for 07 Accords. Honda is throwing them out the door and its pretty easy to get 1-2k under invoice on any Accord trim.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ggesq
let's compare apples to apples since prices vary by region and so do taxes, doc fees....

a brand new Accord w/ Navi, cassette, fog lights and auto/dim feature is 30,880 (MSRP) according to the honda website.

a brand new TL w/ Navi is 36,795 MSRP.

difference is $5915. so for almost 6k more you get the acura name, better looking car (subjective of course), slightly more hp and torque, HID's, ELS, memory seats, longer warranty, Acura Total Care which includes roadside assistance concierge services. Maybe a few other things. if that is worth 6k then the TL is great. if not, then get the Accord
The TL does not come with Fog lights or auto dim so add another $580 and that makes $6495 difference. The power difference is negligible, HID's can be added, memory seats are not that big a deal(imo), the warranty makes no difference as both cars are extremely reliable, I have AAA anyways....Dollar for dollar and value for value the Accord is the better deal, but it's not always about economic value, sometimes it's about getting what YOU want and feel you deserve and the TL seems to fit that category for alot of people. If thats what makes you happy then go for it!!! I was convinced to get an Accord even though I really wanted a TL, well I decided when I owe less than it's worth, I'll be trading my Accord for a TL.

Quick Reply: difference between TL and Accord