3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning plastic panels, carpets, and leather?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cleaning plastic panels, carpets, and leather?

Hey all, especially with our coffee habit and my preference for fast acceleration, on top of using this poor car to get into the back country for hiking with lots of mud/snow/etc. I'm wanting to get at my interior sometime soon and get a mix of junk off the plastic floor panels, get some stains out of the carpeting and maybe just give the leather some TLC. What products and/or process can anyone suggest for some good cleaning without damaging anything?

Much appreciate the communities input as always!
Old 06-21-2018, 11:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Algavin
Hey all, especially with our coffee habit and my preference for fast acceleration, on top of using this poor car to get into the back country for hiking with lots of mud/snow/etc. I'm wanting to get at my interior sometime soon and get a mix of junk off the plastic floor panels, get some stains out of the carpeting and maybe just give the leather some TLC. What products and/or process can anyone suggest for some good cleaning without damaging anything?

Much appreciate the communities input as always!
I use Meguiar's Quik interior detaling wipes. They work good on most surfaces. Plastic, vynal, leather, screens, and has a matte finish. Honestly i clean everything with them. Ive been using this for over a year a few times a week. I never had any problems with color fade and staining. 4 bucka at Wal-Mart.
The following users liked this post:
Algavin (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Excellent, thank you I'll have to give those a try. General cleaner works well on the non-textured services but once I'm trying to fix the textured panels, etc. it doens't do much.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:34 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
The best staff for cleaning I have ever used for every surface is Meg's APC.
All plastic and floor mats with poorboys natural shine (don't remember exact name) in the second step and I don't have to touch it again for weeks.
The second Step For Leather is Meg's leather conditioner.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:01 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the detailing world is a lot like the fitness world...hawking products is the name of the game.

you can clean your car with a lot of common household cleaners...or even soap and water.
for the carpet, I use laundry detergent. A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY! I mainly apply it dry, then use a a little bit of water and a carpet brush to work it in.

dashes arent supposed to be shiny.. i find just a damp microfiber with a mixture of soap and water cleans the plastics just nicely. I did buy a detail interior brush with boars hair to get in-between cracks and crevices...and boy let me tell you, it has changed my detailing game!!!!!!! dust gets built up in the corners of cracks and crevices and eventually you'll have a build up of white dust which is visible to the eye. have y'all looked at your steering column!??? OMG THIS BRUSH IS AWESOME!!!!!

in conclusion; I've found that buying products which are consumables to be a waste of money...However, detailing tools are the better buy. Get some brushes...a carpet brush/leather brush... and a fine boars hair interior brush! will change the game!

For extra dirty jobs; use a drill brush.

Last edited by justnspace; 06-22-2018 at 07:04 AM.
90foxnotch (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 07:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
FWIW: My sentiments, Exactly.. To quote Justin " I've found that buying products which are consumables to be a waste of money...However, detailing tools are the better buy. Get some brushes...a carpet brush/leather brush... and a fine boars hair interior brush! will change the game! " Unless, the interior is (filthy), special cleaning products, are generally a waste of money! Even on the Black Leather seats, and trim,, in my 03, 240K TLS, I use Kiwi Saddle Soap, for cleaning, than, I treat the leather with Kiwi Conditioning Oil. Today, the leather in my car, is still soft, and supple, and looks like new.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
To add to frankjnjr's reply

For the nooks and crannies:
Amazon Amazon
For the leather seats and plastic panels :
Amazon Amazon

Use whatever mild cleaner you want and agitate with these brushes. They will make your job so much easier.
FInish off with Aerospace 303 protectant:
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-22-2018, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
if you wanna get the interior clean, look up at interior detailing tools, let me warn you, it won't be cheap but the result is spectacular. BTW stay away from petroleum product as they left a shiny surface and will collecting dust faster.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

I completly understand it could be a waste of money. But for me its the convenience factor. If im home then i wont run out to the store just to buy these wipes. But when im driving around and somethibg happens like a spill or anything, its easy to just grab a wipe and clean it. For me its easier than carrying around dish soap, water, and a rag. Again, if im home then fine i get it. But for being out and about its just easier for me. More convenient.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Those wipes definitely smell good too ! Is it still coconut-y?

I also use 303 for the vinyl parts and then for the leather, it's Lexol
Old 06-22-2018, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
you can clean your car with a lot of common household cleaners...or even soap and water.
for the carpet, I use laundry detergent. A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY! I mainly apply it dry, then use a a little bit of water and a carpet brush to work it in.

dashes arent supposed to be shiny.. i find just a damp microfiber with a mixture of soap and water cleans the plastics just nicely.
Are you using powdered detergent for that, or do you think it matters? Also just a hand soap, or have something in mind that works pretty well on the hard surfaces? Between backpacking dirt and coffee spills, it's really time to get in there. I clean it here and there but a lot has been ignored when it comes to certain areas, especially cracks, my steering column, carpet stains, and panels. This year I've really taken a lot better care of my TL and I'd like to keep developing that.

Much appreciate all the replies, everyone, having to reply on the run at the moment.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:36 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I use 303 Aerospace protectant on dash, door panels, all interior plastic panels. It cleans and protects nicely without leaving a greasy feeling.
For leather seats, armrests, and steering wheel I use Lexol leather cleaner.

That's what I use regularly, kinda "maintenance" style.

If your car interior is truely very dirty, 303 might not work that well. I can't attest to it though as my car has never really gotten dirty.
I'd agree that you'd just want to soak a rag in soapy water and go at the panels.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 06-22-2018 at 01:40 PM.
DMZ (06-28-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 03:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Personally I use 303 on door panel (black part) and dash, anything that has fake leather and seats I use Lexol. These product can be found at your local Walmart for decent price, for carpet I have steam cleaning machine and laundry detergent.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
DITTO: On the 303 Aerospace protectant. Been using it for years, on both my cars, and the boat. It's a great, long lasting product, that does what it says it will do.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Those wipes definitely smell good too ! Is it still coconut-y?

I also use 303 for the vinyl parts and then for the leather, it's Lexol
I don't know about coconut but they do smell good. My car is a 2001 with 275k miles. Everyone who hops in says my car is super clean and smells really good. Thats a compliment for a car that has had 17 years of sweat and farts.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Much appreciate the suggestions all. I have the Meguiars a try to get the just top dust and what not off, and it worked very very well. I'll start with that this week and go deeper soon, and consider how I want to deal with the cracks and carpets (powdered or liquid detergent for the carpets, or does it matter?).

In other topics, did my first seafoam treatment at about 175k, took 30 minutes to get the deep creep in the vacuum tube and once I got to it....damn that was a lot of smoke. A few thousand feet and I pulled over to make sure I hadn't fucked something to because of all the noise it was making trying to run. Really funny seeing people be like...well that car's screwed.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:47 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Detail shops use plain old steam to dislodge ground in dirt. It works better than chemicals, but 303 is the way to go on the dash - once it's clean.

Now getting the old fart smell out, that's a big one! Take it from me!
Old 06-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Does sound like a good way to do it, just lacking a good steam cleaner and I don't think I know anyone that has one.