Need help with (very) minor rust and leather cleaning and interior plastic cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with (very) minor rust and leather cleaning and interior plastic cleaning

I just bought my car (tan interior) a couple of weeks ago, and I want to do my first full clean job of everything. A detail if you will...

I read a few very helpful threads on here about scratches, so I think I have that taken care of.

1. Minor exterior rust
There are really small, very thin edges of my car that are showing rust! I want to get rid of these ASAP. I'm scared of what else will happen if I don't get it rustproofed soon too! What do you suggest for getting rid of these? I was given a small NBP paint pen from the dealership, but I imagine this requires something more.

2. Leather cleaning
Last night I bought Meguiar's Gold Class leather cleaner/conditioner and applied it. I followed the instructions, spray on, wipe off gently with 100% cotton cloth. I noticed it is really soft and feels clean, but it doesn't necessarily LOOK clean. Any other tips?

3. Interior plastic siding
I noticed a few black marks on the inside of the vehicle, and dirt. I tried using some light soap and a 100% cotton towel, but it didn't work too well, seems to be stuck right on (perhaps from previous owner). What can I use to rid myself of the dirt on the camel/tan plastic siding?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well for the "rust spots" it will depend on how deep they are, but if they are like most small rust spots on the edges they are from where the paint has chipped and it should just be a small amount of surface rust. I would get some 2000 grit sand paper, and try to fold it and use the folded edge just to sand into it a little. Then wipe it with alcohol. Use the paint from the paint pen, but use the end of a matchstick, or a toothpick and "fray" the end to make somewhat of a mini paintbrush. You want to paint just inside and only a little at a time in essence building layers up. Once you get the payers built just above the rest of the paint, hit it very litely with 2000, then 2500 grit sand paper. You will want to polish, seal and wax the area afterwards.

Regarding the leather, i prefer Leatherique. It is a 2 step treatment and can be costly, but you would be perfectly ok only doing the first step as that is what i usually do.

You can find it here

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...-P64/16-oz-S1/
Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
There was a small (~3mm) rock chip on my hood that turned a rust color, not sure that it actually was rust. Took my SSM touch up paint and called it a day.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
can you take a picture of this rust? Sometimes it's just metal shavings stuck onto the paint, and an easy way to take them off is with a claybar followed up with a product called IRON CUT from aquartz.

Try cleaning the leather first with a 6:1 solution of water to woolite. You will need multiple towels, a leather brush and as well some time to get them nice and clean! Then follow up with Meg's cleaner and then with the conditioner.

as far as the interior siding, do you mean the panels in the footwell that you would kick by accident getting in and out? If yes, try the woolite solution on that as well. If you have some All Purpose Cleaner at home, try that too!