3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car accident

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:02 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
My friend's base TL had tight steering for about a week after they replaced the trans. I do know that the type-S rack takes a bit more steering effort compared to a normal car, so you may be feeling that. But definitely bring it back.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might have a point about the rental that I been driving for the past 2 months. I complained to the guy at the shop about the tightness. He said the handling is better than before and he didn't see any problem in the tight steering wheel.

Anyway, here are the spec. I hope you can see them. I use my cell phone to take the pics.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
i can read the numbers some, but enough though

personally i would want a little more castor up front,but not really adjustable though, so not much you can do about it easily (i like it on the higher side of the specs, so you do not have to run as much negetive camber, to get the tire flat in turns), BUT it is basically even though, so can't complain about that too much though (and maybe even a little bit more on the passenger side (or is it the driver side tomato: can't remember right now) to compensate for road crown some

also maybe the camber COULD be a little more even too, but then again a driver hops into the car, and that will probably basically even right out though

but kind looking at those numbers though, i bet you the car drifts ever so SLIGHTLY to the right? (or is it the left )
(btw that steer ahead is good to know, but can easily be change though, if the steering wheel is not levaled EXACTLY as the same as the before measurement)

then the back, can't complain about that camber within 0.1 of each other

same thing with the toe (and that thrust angle )

also i was thinking of more in "detail" numbers, but you probably don't have them though on the printout, since you did take a picture of it LOL
Old 03-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Damn that sucks. Sorry to hear. Hopefully everyone was ok.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Everyone was ok. thanks.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I've learned my lesson, always take your car to the dealer for collision repairs. Repair shops half ass things and insurance companies make out like a bandit and you stuck getting your shit fixed.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by whudini3000
I've learned my lesson, always take your car to the dealer for collision repairs. Repair shops half ass things and insurance companies make out like a bandit and you stuck getting your shit fixed.
not true, dealers will also do the "faster in, faster out, the more money" style of work.

IMO find a good shop that does quality work. Ask local performance shops and such for a good shop and go there and see some of the work they do.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
not true, dealers will also do the "faster in, faster out, the more money" style of work.

IMO find a good shop that does quality work. Ask local performance shops and such for a good shop and go there and see some of the work they do.
3 accidents and 3 different repair shops later, I have yet to find a decent a repair shop even with extensive research. My car either came back with overspray, non matching paint or poor alignment. Insurance would always recommend that I not take it to the dealer because they would not offer lifetime on the paint and I "would" get a better deal through local repair shops. Actually, all I got was headaches. Around that time my friend also had had an accident and took his car to the dealer.....and things were done right the first time. SO i guess I'm speaking from personal experience, but local repair shops didn't yield great results. -2002 Acura TL RIP
Old 03-11-2011, 08:08 PM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
just take the rear wheels and put them on one side of the car, so it won't ever bother you again.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nexson
just take the rear wheels and put them on one side of the car, so it won't ever bother you again.
That is probably what I have to do if they can't fix it. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Advanced

I was told the reason for the mismatch wheels was Japan no longer make them anymore. Another company in the U.S took over and they don't use lead in the paint like Japan does which explain the different shade of color. As for the different color in the navigation screen, I brought the car to the Acura dealership to inspect and they told me I need a new unit. Apparently the one the body shop put in was defective. They wanted to charge $3500 for the unit and $400 for the disk. The body shop inform me they will only pay for the diagnosis fee of $123 charged by the dealer. And they will reorder the unit instead of having the dealer fix it. Here is the kicker, whatever the dealer did after I got my car back, the screen is back to normal. Not sure if it has to do with them reconnecting everything correctly or the unit will die again. I don't know who to trust anymore.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:54 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by myacura07
I was told the reason for the mismatch wheels was Japan no longer make them anymore.Another company in the U.S took over and they don't use lead in the paint like Japan does which explain the different shade of color. As for the different color in the navigation screen, I brought the car to the Acura dealership to inspect and they told me I need a new unit. Apparently the one the body shop put in was defective. They wanted to charge $3500 for the unit and $400 for the disk. The body shop inform me they will only pay for the diagnosis fee of $123 charged by the dealer. And they will reorder the unit instead of having the dealer fix it. Here is the kicker, whatever the dealer did after I got my car back, the screen is back to normal. Not sure if it has to do with them reconnecting everything correctly or the unit will die again. I don't know who to trust anymore.
thats a new one, and here is the kciker about that, i seriously doubt the EPA would even allow those wheels to be imported here, F@ck alot of the wheel weights you see can be steel instead of lead, because of the environmental effects they can cause when they fall off
, and anyways it is more then likely a ENKEI wheel, still a Japanese company (or should be at least more then likely)
but more then likely they will be reconditioned wheels, which means repainted, so the reason for the crappy paint match; i would still want them repainted to match better though)

and as far as the navi, they may have gone into the diagnostic menu, and recalibrated there, compared to what you might have been able to do at home

and personally i would trust the dealer more so in this situation

Last edited by friesm2000; 03-18-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by friesm2000
thats a new one, and here is the kciker about that, i seriously doubt the EPA would even allow those wheels to be imported here, F@ck alot of the wheel weights you see can be steel instead of lead, because of the environmental effects they can cause when they fall off
, and anyways it is more then likely a ENKEI wheel, still a Japanese company (or should be at least more then likely)
but more then likely they will be reconditioned wheels, which means repainted, so the reason for the crappy paint match; i would still want them repainted to match better though)

and as far as the navi, they may have gone into the diagnostic menu, and recalibrated there, compared to what you might have been able to do at home

and personally i would trust the dealer more so in this situation
No luck with the wheels. Repair shops said they got the wheels brand new from Acura dealership and can't repaint them. They could only put the two mismatch on one side of the car. As for the Navi, it works and the color are back to normal for now. Anyway the repair shop will still order the new unit, but put them in for me. Not sure if they will encounter the same problem like before.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Advanced

have them all powder coated
Old 03-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance

I took my car to a dealer for body repair, and was less than impressed with their work. Dealer body shops are just like any other shop. Some are reputable, most are not.

3 accidents and 3 different repair shops later, I have yet to find a decent a repair shop even with extensive research. My car either came back with overspray, non matching paint or poor alignment. Insurance would always recommend that I not take it to the dealer because they would not offer lifetime on the paint and I "would" get a better deal through local repair shops. Actually, all I got was headaches. Around that time my friend also had had an accident and took his car to the dealer.....and things were done right the first time. SO i guess I'm speaking from personal experience, but local repair shops didn't yield great results. -2002 Acura TL RIP
Wouldn't it be your insurance that would be getting the better deal (assuming they were paying for repairs)?

It's VERY hard to find a reputable repair shop, but they do exist.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Go Pack!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i hope you're okay!
Old 03-20-2011, 01:53 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whenever insurance is paying for any work, I would just take the car to one of the 2 local Lexus dealers that have their own Lexus Certified Collision Centers. Man do they do good work. After having so many fender benders, I've learned not to sign anything until I've been through every little thing inside and out of the car.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by liono
have them all powder coated
I wish you could do it. The insurance company said they are only reliable for the damage wheels. They will not touch the other wheels. I tried so many time with no luck.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ms. CLtotheTL32
i hope you're okay!
I am okay, except for the car.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by yiujai86
Whenever insurance is paying for any work, I would just take the car to one of the 2 local Lexus dealers that have their own Lexus Certified Collision Centers. Man do they do good work. After having so many fender benders, I've learned not to sign anything until I've been through every little thing inside and out of the car.
The problem is not every dealership has their own Collision center that does the body work. The acura dealerships in my area all have their work done in another repair shops.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:46 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by yiujai86

so does the local honda dealer here too, it's even in the same building too (but in there own little area there)
had to take my acura there once for an insurance quote, , they missed quite a bit, they still ended coming out with there own appraiser, which still found more things that needed to be repaired

I wish you could do it. The insurance company said they are only reliable for the damage wheels. They will not touch the other wheels. I tried so many time with no luck.
they are not responsible for the other wheels not damaged in the accident, BUT they should be responsible for matching the damaged wheels better to the stock wheels though (and it's not like they are aftermarket to begin with anyways, which could possibly cause headaches)
Old 03-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Doubt they will do anything about slight shade mismatch on wheels..
Old 03-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The alignment isnt off the caster slightly I do alignments at the lincoln dealership i work at and have sean worse.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Advanced

No luck with the wheels. They are not doing anything about the mismatch color. They blame it on the new company that are making the stock wheels for type S.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:54 AM
B A N N E D

No luck with the wheels. They are not doing anything about the mismatch color. They blame it on the new company that are making the stock wheels for type S.

maybe call up the dealer parts department yourself, and ask if they have switched companies, since the car has come out
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
^ sucks with the mismatched wheels but atleast ur nav is working properly now, like everyone said i think your best bet would be to put the two mismatched on one side of the car, that way u will hardly notice