Sponsored by:

80,000 Mile Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
80,000 Mile Update

Hi All,

It's been forever since I've posted. I've been using the site to gather info, but finally figured out how to reset my password today. I'm in!

I've posted a few updates along the way, figured I'd bring everyone up to date.

Car: 2005 Acura TL, 6 speed, SSM
Mods: (done at around 35k): AEM CAI, mid muffler replaced with low restriction dynamax resonator.
Mileage: 80,000. First 50k was mainly highway. 30k since then is mostly city.
Warranty: Bought 5 year/60k extended warranty when I bought out the lease at 50k miles.

Scheduled Maintenance: I've done cabin filter, oil and tranny, but no coolant or any other service. I will get on that.

Tires & Rims: At 50,000 miles, switching between summer and winter tires grew old. So the stock rims with OEM summer tires went into storage. I replaced the winter tires that were on the tirerack rims with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity all seasons. Comfortable ride, with 30k miles, and about 50% treadlife remaining. I'm not carving corners anymore, so these work well.

Wheel Locks: Firestone busted the key AND one of the locks - they had to drill it out and replace the stud. I removed all the locks after this experience. I do enjoy the Firestone lifetime alignment and tire rotations.

Front Brakes: Brembo OEM pads needed replacement at 30k. Installed Hawk pads, no rotor work. Front brakes have 50k on them and 40% pad left.

Rear Brakes: Still on ORIGINAL pads. Just ordered new Hawk rear pads, will install soon. Rotors seem scored, but no pulsation whatsoever when braking.

Transmission: Third gear was always notchy. Dealer replaced fluid a few years back, but only fixed the problem for a few months. I babied third gear and dealt with the problem, though it was getting progressively worse.
Mentioned it to the dealership at inspection time last month. They noticed it, warranty company approved the third gear replacement. I have to tell you that it's like a new car now. It's not been long, but so far I'm glad I did it. The tech checked the clutch, and said that it looks great. Thanks to Southernboy for all the tips!

Front Axles: At same dealer visit, had the clicking noise at slow speeds when turning both directions. Dealership noticed, contacted warranty company, and both front axles were replaced. Problem solved, and car tracks MUCH better as well. Perhaps turning off the traction control and spinning the front tires was not such a good idea in the early days!

Battery: Replaced under warranty at about 45k miles, after dealership did complimentary test.

Serpentine Belt: Got squeaky at around 60k, had it replaced.

NAVI: Still running on original disk, but ordered the 2011 orange CD yesterday. Thanks guys for the $99 tip! I will attempt the hack to get all the other fun stuff. On another note, watch out for the EZ-Pass thing - in the heat of summer it fell off the window and scratched NAVI screen. Woops.

TPMS: I really wish my car had this. I'm researching aftermarket products and may get one when the tires need replacement.

IPOD Jack: Another gadget that I would like to have. Instead, I have mine connected to a cassette tape. Crappy quality but does the job.

Loaner Car: I got a 2010 TL Tech when the tranny and axles were getting fixed. Wow, nice car, lots of new gadgets and features - but I like mine better!

Overall my TL is in great shape. 5 years of service and 80k miles - the longest I've ever owned a car. She has some scrapes and scratches, and banged up rims, but runs like BRAND NEW. I was hard on her in the beginning, but have treated her proper for the past few years.

Great job Acura building a fantastic machine, hopefully I can hand it down to my 7 year old daughter when she starts driving.

And thanks to Davis Acura in Langhorne, PA - the service department has been absolutely incredible with my TL and 2004 MDX for the past 6 years.

If anyone has any questions about my experiences or problems, feel free to ask! And for those of you that bought this vehicle used and are new to it - this is the best forum out there, you have a great car, and these guys can help you make it even better.

Chad
Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
great review Chad. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
great review Chad. Thanks for sharing.
+1. Interested in the 3rd gear prob. I have had the syncro replaced in it and come to think it only lasted a few months. Still have the same prob from time to time. How hard was it to get approved for the 3rd gear replacement?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Instructor

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
+1. Interested in the 3rd gear prob. I have had the syncro replaced in it and come to think it only lasted a few months. Still have the same prob from time to time. How hard was it to get approved for the 3rd gear replacement?
I hope my fix lasts longer than a few months. Overall the entire transmission feels better, probably from the fresh fluid. I believe my aftermarket warranty is Fidelity (shame on me for forgetting). They actually sent an adjuster to the dealership to review the 3rd gear and axle problems at the same time. Dealer called me afterwards and said it was all approved. No deductible either.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Where'd you get the 2011 Navi disc for $99?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by donaldso718
Where'd you get the 2011 Navi disc for $99?
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/2011-orange-dvd-edit-%2499-see-post-1-link-04-06-tl-2007-2008-tl-796583/

Note- this thread is for 04-06 TL's. the 07/08 thread is in the audio subforum.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
great review! ... thank u for posting this makes me have more faith in my tl that i can get it up there in mileage and it will still take care of me ... gluck to you on many more miles of happy motoring
Old 11-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm starting to approach 80k miles myself (I bought it at 74k). I plan to replace my ATF soon, and do the oil changes myself from here on out, but does anyone have any other suggestions for things I should take care of at around 80k miles? I heard coolant mentioned? (I'm a novice with cars - this is my first - so be gentle.)
Old 11-08-2010, 09:32 AM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Interested in knowing if your clutch is stock or modified at all, since it checked out well at 80K miles. PM me please.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaFan81
Interested in knowing if your clutch is stock or modified at all, since it checked out well at 80K miles. PM me please.
Barring any mechanical anomalies or abusive/incorrect driving habits, the clutch should go over 200,000 miles.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

I will be hitting 80,000 miles within the next two weeks I suppose. Here is where I stand with my '04 manual TL.

Original clutch.

Original rear pads and rotors.

Original front rotors with third set of pads. NOTE: I replaced the original set at 25,500 miles to get away from all of the dusting. The original pads could have gone 60,000 miles. I installed the third set prematurely because I thought one of the pads of the second set had developed a crack. It had not. The second set had about another 20,000 miles left in them.

Third set of tires.

Two transmission drain and fills.

Second battery (last spring) when car was approaching six years old.

The requisite engine and cabin air filter and wiper blade replacements for general maintenance.

Of course, oil changes.

Car has never had an alignment, though it has been checked several times. It has not needed one.

There are no door dings, no exceptional scratches, not dents, and no torn interior seats or other interior components.

Everything works. Nothing is in need of repair or fixing.

Car has been garage kept its entire life with me, even under cove when taken to work (bought it two days after it arrived at the dealer and was the only customer to drive it - still had the plastic coverings on exterior and interior items). It has never seen snow.

General impression? It still entertains me and to this day, I still look forward to driving it.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:22 AM
4th Gear

I just bought a 2005 TL w/ Navi and a 6spd MT and it has approximately 81k miles. I am looking to see what I need to do at this point or if I should just wait until 100k to complete the water pump, fluid exchanges, and whatnot.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm happy to hear that the original clutch is still good at 80k despite some hard-launches.

Thank you.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:24 AM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have 04 TL 6MT and just hit 80,000k and so far its been ok. THe only major problems were that clutch went 79,000k but it was my fault (racing, launching) and the navi didnt work for 6 months and just came back on by itself weird??? but besides that the car has been great.

Maintaince Done=

Brakes and rotors all the way around at 75000 miles!
Regular oil change and aligment once a year
Third gear replaced under TSB at dealership free of charge
New battery at 75,000k
Power steering pump recall

SO far the car runs like a champ and is solid and i drive hard!!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
Originally Posted by Wid-TL
Thanks guys!

I hope my fix lasts longer than a few months. Overall the entire transmission feels better, probably from the fresh fluid. I believe my aftermarket warranty is Fidelity (shame on me for forgetting). They actually sent an adjuster to the dealership to review the 3rd gear and axle problems at the same time. Dealer called me afterwards and said it was all approved. No deductible either.

Have either of you tried the GM synchromesh friction modified fluid? Great stuff, highly recommend you give it a shot if you haven't already.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 PM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

Approaching 80K miles too (75K). I have 04 Tl 6MT non-Navi and am 3rd owner. Car had P/S hose and wiper motor recall performed already with new tires and battery.

I've simply inspected the brakes and suspension in detail, all checked out solid. Front pads will need replacing this spring/summer. Rear pads are like new.

Simply have performed regular maintenance and checked the current status of maintenance items.

- air & cabin filter were OK
- inspected plugs, OK
- coolant OK
- changed motor oil
- replaced MTF with GM Synchromesh (huge improvement)
- new OEM wiper blades (had aftermarket)
- adjusted rear parking brake
- throttle adaption procedure (perform if new owner)
Old 11-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Instructor

SouthernBoy, thanks again for all the excellent write-ups on tranny operation and extending longevity. Your TL sounds like it's aging well. As for my alignment issues and perhaps part of the axle issue - most of my miles are in PA/NJ/NYC - and these massive pot holes sneak up and get you during the winter months. I hold my breath and wait to feel if the tire is flat whenever I hit a big one. So far only 1 damaged rim (but salvageable), and 2 flats from pot holes in the TL. Road Hazard on tires has paid for itself.

nfnsquared, I never tried the GM synchromesh. If she gives me more trouble down the road when out of warranty, I'll likely give it a try.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:51 PM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

I forgot to mention, my TL cam with stock Enkei 17x8 inch rims, large 5 spoke. All had curb rash and some clearcoat peel on purchase. I'm thinking of purchasing same new replacements in future, unless I find good condition used. I want to stick with 17x8 for cheaper tire prices and better fuel mileage/lower weight.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Wid-TL
SouthernBoy, thanks again for all the excellent write-ups on tranny operation and extending longevity. Your TL sounds like it's aging well. As for my alignment issues and perhaps part of the axle issue - most of my miles are in PA/NJ/NYC - and these massive pot holes sneak up and get you during the winter months. I hold my breath and wait to feel if the tire is flat whenever I hit a big one. So far only 1 damaged rim (but salvageable), and 2 flats from pot holes in the TL. Road Hazard on tires has paid for itself.

nfnsquared, I never tried the GM synchromesh. If she gives me more trouble down the road when out of warranty, I'll likely give it a try.
You're most welcome. My TL is aging beautifully. Had some friends in it going to dinner last year at the beach and the lady though it was a new car. So that's always nice to hear.

Potholes and other roadway fractures are the bane of tires, wheels, suspension components, and alignment. We are fortunate to have close to excellent roads where I live so I see very few potholes and besides... I use my Ranger pickup in snow and bad conditions.