Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 TL Towable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:19 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 TL Towable?

I currently have a 2005 TL and would like to be able to take it with me behind my RV, but I am unable to find any definitive answer as to whether or not I am able to tow it with all four wheels on the ground. Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve
Old 03-23-2009, 12:41 AM
HOME SWEET HOME....

not really sure as being the car is front wheel drive. but hopefully you'll be able to get ur answer from someone on here... i dont see y not though
Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...404O00242B.pdf

My vote is to get a vehicle dolly and DO NOT tow with all 4 wheels on the ground...

If you do - follow the procedures linked in the PDF...
Old 03-23-2009, 06:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Looks like you can do it, just make sure the car is in neutral and the parking brake off.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Get a tow dolly and keep the front wheels elevated.

In the Acura TL owner's manual, as described in the Honda PDF file, the flat towing is for emergency use only, no farther than 50 miles, no faster than 35.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Advanced

Your answer is Yes if you go over to the acura site and reg your car with them then check model info that is one of the questions ask they also give you the pro needed to get it ready to tow Here is what they tell you to do

We are not aware of any particular problems being caused by towing on all four tires, or "motor home towing", of Acura automobiles with either a manual or an automatic transmission, as long as proper pre-towing preparations are made and the vehicle is towed at legal highway speeds.

Manual Transmission
When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission is full of fluid. Do not overfill.
•Release the parking brake.
•Shift the transmission to Neutral.
•Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY (I) position to release the steering wheel lock. Make sure that the radio and all accessories are turned off.

Automatic Transmission
When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission fluid level is full. Do not overfill. If an Acura automobile with an automatic transmission is to be towed with the front or all four wheels on the ground, you must do the following every day immediately before towing:
•Start the engine.
•Press on the brake pedal. Shift the lever through all positions. For example (P,R,N,D,2,1).
•Shift to D, then to N. Let the engine run for at least three minutes, then turn off the engine.
•Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY(I) so that the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.
Extended Towing
If you travel more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time), you must stop and repeat the above procedures. You should repeat the procedure at least every 8 hours. (When you stop for fuel, etc.)

CAUTION:
SEVERE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DAMAGE WILL OCCUR IF THE CAR IS SHIFTED FROM REVERSE TO NEUTRAL AND THEN TOWED WITH THE DRIVE WHEELS ON THE GROUND.

NOTICE:
The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Always leave the key in the ACCESSORY (I) position to prevent damage to the steering system when towing behind another vehicle. Improper towing preparation will damage the transmission. Follow the above procedure exactly. If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, your vehicle must be transported on a flat-bed truck or trailer. If you tow an Acura vehicle with automatic transmission, the transmission fluid must be changed every two years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first. Although experience has shown that the Acura transmission and power train are capable of being "motor home towed" on all four tires, American Honda does not assume responsibility for any vehicle damage or liabilities incurred due to the towing device, towing vehicle, lighting hookup, or other towing equipment or towing procedures; any responsibility for these items is assumed by the owner/operator. For more information about towing your vehicle, check your Owner's Manual or contact us.

Hope this help you
Oh and by the way I also own an 05 TL

Mark
Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by markbento
Your answer is Yes if you go over to the acura site and reg your car with them then check model info that is one of the questions ask they also give you the pro needed to get it ready to tow Here is what they tell you to do

We are not aware of any particular problems being caused by towing on all four tires, or "motor home towing", of Acura automobiles with either a manual or an automatic transmission, as long as proper pre-towing preparations are made and the vehicle is towed at legal highway speeds.

Manual Transmission
When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission is full of fluid. Do not overfill.
•Shift the transmission to Neutral.
•Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY (I) position to release the steering wheel lock. Make sure that the radio and all accessories are turned off.

Automatic Transmission
When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission fluid level is full. Do not overfill. If an Acura automobile with an automatic transmission is to be towed with the front or all four wheels on the ground, you must do the following every day immediately before towing:
•Start the engine.
•Press on the brake pedal. Shift the lever through all positions. For example (P,R,N,D,2,1).
•Shift to D, then to N. Let the engine run for at least three minutes, then turn off the engine.
•Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY(I) so that the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.
Extended Towing
If you travel more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time), you must stop and repeat the above procedures. You should repeat the procedure at least every 8 hours. (When you stop for fuel, etc.)

CAUTION:
SEVERE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DAMAGE WILL OCCUR IF THE CAR IS SHIFTED FROM REVERSE TO NEUTRAL AND THEN TOWED WITH THE DRIVE WHEELS ON THE GROUND.

NOTICE:
The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Always leave the key in the ACCESSORY (I) position to prevent damage to the steering system when towing behind another vehicle. Improper towing preparation will damage the transmission. Follow the above procedure exactly. If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, your vehicle must be transported on a flat-bed truck or trailer. If you tow an Acura vehicle with automatic transmission, the transmission fluid must be changed every two years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first. Although experience has shown that the Acura transmission and power train are capable of being "motor home towed" on all four tires, American Honda does not assume responsibility for any vehicle damage or liabilities incurred due to the towing device, towing vehicle, lighting hookup, or other towing equipment or towing procedures; any responsibility for these items is assumed by the owner/operator. For more information about towing your vehicle, check your Owner's Manual or contact us.

Hope this help you
Oh and by the way I also own an 05 TL

Mark
y do you have to shift through all of the gears before putting in neutral. Just wanted to know....
Old 03-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Advanced

Not sure that is what acurs tells you to do I think it is just to get the oil moving in the system to make sure all the gears get lubed that info came right off of the acura site
Old 03-25-2009, 02:05 AM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just thought of something which might be a stupid question, but is your mileage increasing when you a towing a car?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
most likely not since the ECU is not on when the car is in the accessory position
Old 03-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm sure you can tow it but I would be very skittish about it.