Turning the Page: RL > SH RLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts

^^^
Yeah, there's a "b" in that version for "beta test". *snicker* Because that's what it was.

Maybe by the time I get around to getting the CMBS update (looks like never due to an impossible work schedule), Acura will have a software update ready for the infotainment system.

All kidding aside, I'm glad hat the UI has been made faster. I'm sure that smooth goodness will get to us eventually.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by fsmith
Tampa - Are you saying that the 2016 Sport Hybrid UI is faster and smoother than the PAWS UI? This is something many of us have been hoping to get in a software update. Your NAV Software at ver. 1.01.2301 is definitely newer than our 2014 version which is 1.00.2b05.
The version I posted with the pic was from my 2016 SH RLX. I neglected to check the version in the 2016 PAWS model I have been driving the last few days. They both performed well with no lags, freezes, etc. that I had experienced when I first tested a 2014 PAWS RLX.

I spent over an hour today setting my preferences, loading address books, phone pairing, music settings, loading CDs, etc. The system performed admirably. The responses from both the touch screen and control knob / buttons were instantaneous. NAVI search responses were faster than my RL.

I have some work to learn the VR commands as the pathways are a bit different. But I was able to do everything today with no referring to the manual.

By the way, I got a 'thin' leather pouch with a 'thin' manual for the SH. I was told the full manuals are available by requesting on My Acura.com or contacting Customer Service. Is that the same experience of the Betas? Or perhaps a new practice with the 2016 MY?

It also looks like the AcuraLink Account is yet to register as the subscription screen read the service expires in 12/ 2015.

Oh, and the little light was RED.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Tampa-- let the fun begin. HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

This is the perfect birthday present......something that will make you feel younger and will always put a smile on your face. What could be better?
The following users liked this post:
TampaRLX-SH (07-11-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
@TampaRl: Reading your posts, and the general excitement we all feel for you in getting your new car, gave me the bug so much that I visited my local Acura dealer to check availability.

I was told (although honestly I didn't believe it) Acura was not building any more 2016 Sport Hybrids except by special order? I was told I'd be required to put down $1000 as earnest money, allowing me to pick my options, and Acura would build the car with a 90 - 120 day delivery date.

I almost made the decision, right on the spot, to start the process but I decided I'd better talk it over with the Mrs., and give it a day or two of thought before making a final decision.

Has anyone else heard or read anything about the Sport Hybrid only being available via special order?

Congrats again TampaRL! Your excitement is definitely contagious.
TampaRLX-SH (07-13-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 10:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
TampaRL, again congratulations! While dropping my kids off at camp this morning, one of the counselors started jumping up and down excited to see the car! Apparently he is a big Acura fan and realized what it was when I started to move in EV mode and the car was silent. At the time I thought he was cheering about something else, so I did not give it any thought. When I came back this afternoon, the same guy had his iPhone ready and taking pictures of the car. He made sure to come over to me in the pick up line to ask about the car. He was so excited. As I was rolling through the line very slowly he stayed next to me asking all kinds of questions. I asked him if he could take new pictures on Monday as the car was not up to my normal cleanliness expectations since it has been rainy for several days and the car was dirty. He agreed he would not post any pictures of it until then. I also asked that he blur the license plate and he promised to do so. I joked with him that I would have to get him fired if he didn't. He was cool about it.

I'm telling you this because you are just beginning to realize how special this car is and you are one of the very lucky few to experience it. Just think, there are more Ferrari F40s on the road than all of the RLX Sport Hybrids. You are breathing rare air in that car. I hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us SH owners do. I'm looking forward to more of your long winded posts. Let it rip!

Happy Birthday!

Last edited by RLX-Sport Hybrid; 07-10-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TampaRL
By the way, I got a 'thin' leather pouch with a 'thin' manual for the SH. I was told the full manuals are available by requesting on My Acura.com or contacting Customer Service. Is that the same experience of the Betas? Or perhaps a new practice with the 2016 MY?
I have a full paper manual, but I never use it. The manual is easily available in pdf format on owners.acura.com. I've downloaded it and have copies on my iPhone, iPad, and laptop for easy reference. You won't miss the paper manual at all.

Oh, and the little light was RED.
*Bob hides in the basement and puts tinfoil hat on*
Old 07-11-2015, 06:18 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Wow, that's cheap. On the other hand, everyone else in the world is doing it. We got paper in 2014. If I were you, I'd request a full paper manual; it's nice to have when in the car to check things, and easier to read than the pdf version on your phone! Again, enjoy. I'm driving weekly this summer between MA and ME, and I look forward to every single trip.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

I, too, prefer a paper manual in the exceptionally rare situation that I've left home without my electronic devices.

However, I'm not always in the car and the .pdf manual is easily searchable. Further, the TOC and index items are clickable, i.e. if you click/touch "seats" in the index, the touch takes you to the pertinent page. It saves some time.
fsmith (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 08:13 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I ordered the full manuals online from My Acura. No charge, but on request.
I already have the pdf copies on my laptop and phone. It is easier to search for things on e-copies. There is a paper manual for the SH that came with the car, but it is an abbreviated copy, maybe 50 pages. Also a DVD with manuals, warranties, etc. So they just changed the medium, following 'kill less trees' direction. But I like to keep hard copy artifacts with my cars,,,window sticker, manuals and original brochure (which I also ordered from My Acura.

I read I need to initiate the AcuraLink registration by calling or using the call button in the car. The 90 day free trial for the Connect level requires registration and a credit card. Dunno if this is new process or not.

Next, I was updating My Acura site page with the SH and removing the RL. It has a field for Radio Code on the SH. But I have nothing to indicate we have radio codes now? Maybe just VIN (as shows in my System screen shot)?

Did anyone have to enter Radio Code (there was not field for NAVI Code)? Maybe no longer needed? Maybe not needed for Krell models? Any ideas before I make a Customer Service call list?

Next I need to call XM and transfer the remainder time of my RL subscription onto the 90 Day trial of the SH. I was surprised to hear how good HD FM sounds over XM. I may not renew going forward.

Off to AT&T today. Looks like I am about to retire my Windows Phone as the sealed battery is croaking right at my 2 year renewal! Since the Acura apps, Pandora and Aha do not work with my Lumia 920 I have decided to go Android. The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 just went on sale (as the Note 5 lurks for release in September). I like the phablet and definitely need the stylus...so it looks like it was meant to be!

I was exhausted last night, hit the bed and was gone. I think I am getting too old for change and this much excitement. The 'Birthday Hangover' isn't helping either!
Old 07-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

I already have the pdf copies on my laptop and phone. It is easier to search for things on e-copies. There is a paper manual for the SH that came with the car, but it is an abbreviated copy, maybe 50 pages. Also a DVD with manuals, warranties, etc. So they just changed the medium, following 'kill less trees' direction. But I like to keep hard copy artifacts with my cars,,,window sticker, manuals and original brochure (which I also ordered from My Acura.

I read I need to initiate the AcuraLink registration by calling or using the call button in the car. The 90 day free trial for the Connect level requires registration and a credit card. Dunno if this is new process or not.

Next, I was updating My Acura site page with the SH and removing the RL. It has a field for Radio Code on the SH. But I have nothing to indicate we have radio codes now? Maybe just VIN (as shows in my System screen shot)?

Did anyone have to enter Radio Code (there was not field for NAVI Code)? Maybe no longer needed? Maybe not needed for Krell models? Any ideas before I make a Customer Service call list?

Next I need to call XM and transfer the remainder time of my RL subscription onto the 90 Day trial of the SH. I was surprised to hear how good HD FM sounds over XM. I may not renew going forward.

Off to AT&T today. Looks like I am about to retire my Windows Phone as the sealed battery is croaking right at my 2 year renewal! Since the Acura apps, Pandora and Aha do not work with my Lumia 920 I have decided to go Android. The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 just went on sale (as the Note 5 lurks for release in September). I like the phablet and definitely need the stylus...so it looks like it was meant to be!

I was exhausted last night, hit the bed and was gone. I think I am getting too old for change and this much excitement. The 'Birthday Hangover' isn't helping either!
A word of advice. Being a user of the Galaxy S4 for almost 2 years, I have been running into memory limitations and I wish it had 32G rather than 16G (currently owned). If you are going to go the Android route, do yourself a favor and go with a higher memory volume. Also sending music from iTunes to the Android device is a two step process as I have to upload from my computer to Amazon music then it can wireless sync. I wish I knew a better way to do it, but that is all I know about it. I hope that is helpful.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^

Thanks for the heads up. The Note 4 is 32G with expandable SD.

I am not part of the iContinuum. Nor do I store tunes on my phone.

No issues there. But the stylus and larger screen will be an improvement for me.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts

Congrats TampaRL, i hope you have many safe and happy miles with the Sport Hybrid! The radio code (no navi code for the newer Acura vehicles) should have been written in the users manual, at least it was in mine. Although you don't need to enter the code anymore to initialize the system, you just need to hold the power button pressed for 2 sec when it asks for the code. It checks the radio serial number to the VIN and it automatically unlocks it.
Correct, i just called the number on the Acuralink website https://acuralink.acura.com/Information/AssistServices
and they set everything up for me. They will send you a couple of emails, so you can create your account and PIN. They did request a credit card when i set up mine.....

HTH
TampaRLX-SH (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 05:03 PM
Pro

I think if you go to the Acura website and somewhere you can enter your VIN. When you do, if memory serves me, it will give you your radio code, key code etc.

When I switched my XM subscription from my RL to the new car, I think all I had to do was to give XM the VIN and they looked up the radio #. Like I said before, you cAn probably also find it on the Acura website.

To set up your 3 month trial of Acura link just push the button in the car, have your VIN handy and a credit card. Takes about 5 minutes. They will do everything over the phone. Once you download the Acura Link app for your phone you can use your phone to check on the car.......its location, the status of vechile -- whether it is locked, the tire pressure, gas gauge etc. you can lock or unlock the car from the app. In the 2014 you can't do a remote start but they may have added that for the new models.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^

Thank You Malibu.

I remembered the Radio Code could be obtained by tuning XM to 0.

And I did the AcuraLink initialization. The little red light is now GREEN!

I programmed the Homelink, but I also notice a shorter range than my RL.

I did some miles this weekend and I am so pleased at the different characteristics of this car. You can nurse the EV to get great mpg. But I have to say I fell in LOVE with SPORT mode. This car can haul butt! And the throttle blip and engine note is music to my ears. Along with lots of idle time learning settings and features, I know tank 1 will be in the low 20s.

The 360 camera is stunning. HD screen quality and the options are very numerous. At minimum, various rear views, a front view, down both sides view (excellent to avoid curbing or checking you are centered in a parking space), a 360 birds eye view and it blends the cross traffic radar sensors to alert from which corner of the car something is approaching on the screen, along with audio warnings. There is also a setting that will keep the camera on until you reach 15mph. As soon as you cross that threshold, the screen reverts to the NAVI view in your settings. It's kinda cool as you slow to park, or queue at a traffic light - you get the front view camera to see how close you really are. You can have a split screen with the 360 view and either the front view (when in Drive) or rear view (when in Reverse). As a result the rear electric shade does not drop when you reverse.

If there are Acura videos on this feature I will post the links. I think this system on the RLX leap frogs what I saw in the Audi and Infinity systems (two of the best on the market IMHO).

The Remote Start signals the fob when the engine starts (2 way communication). The car may be in EV or DIE mode (depending on your battery level) when you enter, and you need not restart the car. Just depress brake pedal and hit the START button, your dash illuminates, shift and go. The climate control is running per your fob preferences, but the lights, music and dash are not active. I assume that is a security measure as to not draw attention to an unmanned running car. I will find out if the remote start works with the AcuraLink Smartphone app as I ordered a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 today to leverage the apps, Pandora, Aha, etc. Windows Phone 8 pairs fine, imports contacts and will alert you when and text is received (and the contact name), but you cannot read them, respond to them or connect to Pandora (Aha is not available to Windows Phone).

There is much of this car that feels familiar to the RL and so much more to make it 'new car exciting'.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 07-12-2015 at 07:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (07-13-2015), pgeorg (07-13-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Am I missing something? Where are the pics of the new car?
Old 07-12-2015, 10:04 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
Post #6
Old 07-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^^
Post #6
Let me rephrase that, where are the pictures that were not taken with a potato?
The following 2 users liked this post by BDoggPrelude:
neuronbob (07-13-2015), oo7spy (07-15-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 11:18 PM
Pro

Tampa --

I don't know if the TSB regarding the Homelink effects you but for both the 2014-15 PAWS and the SH there is a TSB for the Homelink transmitter. I will have it done when I go in for my first oil change. All they do is move the transmitter a couple of inches within the housing where the front camera is at the top of the front windshield. The known problem is exceeding short range for the Homelink unit. Apparently there is some form of interference which hampers its range where Acura engineers orginally located it.

You can find the full description in the TSB Thread. Too hard for me to lookup from the iPad.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I had the Homelink update done on my PAWS and really cannot tell any difference in range. Sorely disappointed.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Mine seems to work from about 150 feet.......ballpark and I don't think I had the update.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:32 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Been cloudy and raining, so pic quality is poor. I will take better pics after I have a therapeutic wash & detail. I also have another LEGEND badge and I am contemplating adding below the driver side taillight (as is the LEGEND models) and remove the RLX. Right now all the badges are pax side, and I like symmetry.

I re-linked the Homelink transmitter with an updated rolling code and extended the head unit wire / antenna on the motor, so I will see if that improves the range.
Attached Thumbnails Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-wp_20150710_007.jpg   Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-wp_20150710_008.jpg   Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-wp_20150710_009.jpg   Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-wp_20150710_010.jpg   Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-wp_20150710_011.jpg  

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 07-13-2015 at 08:35 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
BDoggPrelude (07-13-2015), hondamore (07-13-2015), neuronbob (07-13-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-13-2015), TSX69 (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 08:34 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

....more ScoobySnacks for BDoggPrelude....
Attached Thumbnails Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-wp_20150710_012.jpg   Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-wp_20150710_013.jpg  
BDoggPrelude (07-13-2015), neuronbob (07-13-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Drifting

Very nice! Congrats! Any plans for wheels or any mods?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Thanks BDoggPrelude.

No wheels, I like these. BUT I would say that the new smoked chrome 19s on the PAWS model would look nice on the SH trim to match the smoked chrome grille. Those are the same wheels on the SH LEGENDs. Go figger.

No need for LEDs as the car already has them in and out. Aside from the accessory additions and tint, the only mod I think I will make it to remove the RLX badge and put on the LEGEND badge I have. If there were left hand LEGENDS, I would replace the carpet mats and be done.

I kept the mods minimal on my RL as I am a mostly stock kinda guy.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Could you post a picture of the surround view system?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks BDoggPrelude.

No wheels, I like these. BUT I would say that the new smoked chrome 19s on the PAWS model would look nice on the SH trim to match the smoked chrome grille. Those are the same wheels on the SH LEGENDs. Go figger.

No need for LEDs as the car already has them in and out. Aside from the accessory additions and tint, the only mod I think I will make it to remove the RLX badge and put on the LEGEND badge I have. If there were left hand LEGENDS, I would replace the carpet mats and be done.

I kept the mods minimal on my RL as I am a mostly stock kinda guy.
How can I get my hands on the Legend badge? How did you get it? Where did you order it from?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Could you post a picture of the surround view system?
Yes Boss!

1) Camera under side view mirror ( x2)
2) Front View camera (rear camera same as before)
3) Rear View (split screen) w/ 360 View (Note radar cross traffic and distance alerts on screen - also beeps)
4) Front View (split screen w/ 360 View (Note radar alerting left side garage wall proximity)
5) Side Views (both side cams for parking / curb approach

There are multiples of other options / combinations with fish eye views, etc.

As mentioned before, you can set the cam to be active up to 15mph while in either direction (drive / reverse) before it toggles to the NAVI view. It toggles back to cam when slowing, stopping, reversing below 15mph automatically. Cool, but maybe too many screen changes while driving.
Attached Thumbnails Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-wp_20150713_003.jpg   Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-wp_20150713_004.jpg   Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-wp_20150713_005.jpg   Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-wp_20150713_006.jpg   Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-wp_20150713_008.jpg  

The following 4 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
fsmith (07-14-2015), neuronbob (07-13-2015), pgeorg (07-14-2015), TSX69 (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
How can I get my hands on the Legend badge? How did you get it? Where did you order it from?
I got mine several years ago when I was in Japan. I had rebadged my RL > LEGEND so I think I will do the same with the RLX. There were some on eBay if you shop around, or this is the part # if you find a JDM supplier.
Attached Thumbnails Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-wp_20150713_009.jpg  
neuronbob (07-13-2015), pgeorg (07-14-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 06:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes Boss!
THANK YOU! That is freaking awesome. I sure would be using that on a daily basis. P.S. Thank you for reinvigorating my desire to rebadge my car as "Legend". I just haven't gotten to it, work is too crazy.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"Whip It Real Good"

Congratulations TampaRL, as usual, an excellent choice and I love your color selection. Although I ran out of patience with Acura I will continue to follow this forum so that when I "need" a four door sedan again I'll know "what's-up" before getting back into the Acura fold. BTW, I believe your tag will offer up some interesting challenges...

Good motoring to you and the rest of the ACURA RLX SH-AWD crew...
RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Thank You Shotgun.

The tag was issued that way. But I admit I was a Devo fan. Or for those too young to remember 'Whip It', it suits as my 'Whip' as well.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thank You Shotgun.

The tag was issued that way. But I admit I was a Devo fan. Or for those too young to remember 'Whip It', it suits as my 'Whip' as well.
I think all of the SH betas are old enough to remember bands like Devo, Jay Geils, and appreciate John Bonham from Led Zeplin.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Devo started out just 20 miles from me, in Akron.....but that's another topic for another thread. Good taste.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:09 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Maybe 'Whipit' refers to the jockey's whip and connects with 'The Race' commercial from Acura? (OK, I am stretching here.....)

RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^^^
Ooh, yes, and if what all the "Betas" are saying is true about the RLX's performance - you're clearly daring all those other "horses" to "whip" you to the finish line - Luv it!!!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Shotgun
^^^
Ooh, yes, and if what all the "Betas" are saying is true about the RLX's performance - you're clearly daring all those other "horses" to "whip" you to the finish line - Luv it!!!
Fortunately it is true about the performance. No urban myths here. Love that commercial.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Yes Boss!

1) Camera under side view mirror ( x2)
2) Front View camera (rear camera same as before)
3) Rear View (split screen) w/ 360 View (Note radar cross traffic and distance alerts on screen - also beeps)
4) Front View (split screen w/ 360 View (Note radar alerting left side garage wall proximity)
5) Side Views (both side cams for parking / curb approach

There are multiples of other options / combinations with fish eye views, etc.
I want it. Looks impressive. Thanks, TampaRL. I guess one can have first, or best, but not both at the same time. However, I am definitely not complaining, just admiring.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
You bastard. I only made it through the first half of page 1 (will read rest later, but too late for an like me; ), but you are having me question if my next car will really be the 6MT coupe I dream it's supposed to be. Why do I have to love Legends so much?

Last edited by oo7spy; 07-14-2015 at 10:47 PM.
TampaRLX-SH (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 02:41 AM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Congrats on the SH RLX! I am envious
TampaRLX-SH (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Looks like I might be too late, completely off topic, and preaching to the choir (yourself being a savvy consumer), but AT&T did away with the 2 year renewal stuff as the default. As it turns out, they were adding a premium to your bill in order to subsidize an "upgrade" every two years. They got rid of that, and while they have a similar option plan, it isn't cost effective. Buying a new or used phone outright elsewhere and bringing it to them to activate is the best option. If you were unaware and they sucked you in, you probably have a 30 day return period. FYI.

on the whip! If you don't mind driving it to Austin for me to inspect, I will cover the cost of the beer and burgers.

Also, put that badge on! While I only had mine on for less than 2 weeks, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Quick Reply: Turning the Page: RL > SH RLX