RLX / TLX Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 12:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
RLX / TLX Comparison

Finally getting some time to put this post together. First, some disclaimers:
  1. The sole purpose of this thread is to provide nothing more than a detailed comparison between the RLX and TLX from a consumer point of view.
  2. I am not a car expert, car magazine writer/editor, car mechanic, etc. etc. nor do I work for any car companies. I am an architect/engineer/product developer with 20-years in the datacenter, infrastructure, and cloud computing industry who happens to like hi-tech luxury cars.
  3. I have been a loyal Honda/Acura customer since my very first 83 Honda Accord that I bought used back in 1992. The only car I ever owned outside of the brand was a 93 Nissan 240SX, which was a great car, but was totaled in an accident back in 2005, after which I jumped into my old trusty 89 Integra before getting my 06 TL and now my 14 RLX. I have every desire to stay loyal to the brand and hope to continue to seeing the company make significant investments and strategic changes to strengthen the brand further than it has before.
  4. Please go back and read 1-3 carefully before posting to this thread.

----

So to get started, I was recently put into a 2015 TLX V-6 Tech loaner while my RLX is being worked on for it's 30k maintenance, suspension research/TSB, and additional inspections to ensure the car is to spec after my recent accident.

While I have test driven the TLX twice before (one a V-6 Tech, and the other a V-6 Advanced), this is the first time I've had real extended seat time with the car, and as a result, IMO, has allowed me to really get a sense for how the TLX compares to the RLX. I've been in my RLX now since July of 2013 and have a great sense for just about every aspect of the car, having put 28k+ miles on it within the first 16 months between being a daily commuter and a number of short and long-distance road trips. With the TLX, I've already logged closed to 350-400 miles on it since last Thursday and have had the opportunity to drive under much of the same conditions in which I drive my RLX today.

I've grouped my notes/thoughts into three main categories:
  • Interior/Exterior
  • Technology / Features
  • Driving Experience

This is by no means a complete and thorough comparison of the two vehicles, nor has it been conducted in any way as such to provide hard empirical data, metrics, etc. I consider it as nothing more than just a natural expression of the things that I, as a consumer, noticed were the most evident differences in the cars without having to put too much thought into it. Just making mental notes as I drove the TLX over the last 7-8 days. Whether they were for better or for worse, it's just stuff that stood out the most to me.

Exterior / Interior:

I'll start first with the exterior in saying that there is not really much to compare here. The RLX and TLX both share some similar design elements/language, and if you are a fan of the current design direction Acura has been going, then you'll like the TLX. I am a fan and as such, think the design team did a great job with the TLX. If there was anything I could change, it would be a) Rim options (already beaten to death by others), and B) doing something about the rear end. Something I've noticed is that both cars seem to have this upwards lift as you get towards the rear that makes them look a little bulkier than what would otherwise be a really sleek slender design. I think if they could carry out the same athletic and streamlined look of the front of the vehicles all the way to the back, the cars would start to add just the right amount of "sex appear" to help address the common mind-set of the new designs having a "safe" look-n-feel to it.

As for the interior, the TLX is very well built inside, solid, tight, super quiet. Not a single rattle, buzz, vibration, etc even when hitting pretty bad road conditions (including nasty pot holes). This is an area where they clearly did a better job in the TLX than they did in the RLX. However, there is the trade-off of materials and design language that aren't up to the same quality as you get in the RLX. This is where the RLX is by far the leader, and rightfully so. While the TLX interior is well put together, it lacks some of the "sex" and "sizzle" that I'd expect in a luxury sedan. It carries more of a feeling of practicality and less on the finer details that make the RLX interior really stand out. The elements it shares with the RLX are on par (e.g. dash-board elements, electronic shifter, steering wheel components, Info/Nav System), but the actual dash-board design and side-door elements leave more to be desired, feeling more like an American made Ford or Chevy, and less of a Japanese or European luxury sedan. This is again where the RLX comes through really strong.

All that said, one area that the TLX executed on very well and should be improved on in the RLX are the door handles and door open/close mechanisms. The door handles on the RLX is an area that has always annoyed me. They feel plastic, light and cheap, whereas the TLX handles feel much more solid, sturdy, and carry confidence. I need to double-check, but I believe it has to do with the TLX handle having multiple layers of metal or some other construction material that gives it the added sturdiness that lacks in the RLX handles. Whereas the RLX handle just feels hollow and empty, thus it feeling cheap. The door-closing mechanism and sealing on the TLX is also better, where it has a far more confident and solid feeling when securing the door closed. Something else they should improve on the RLX for it's class.

Other than that, it's a very comfortable car to drive in, seats feel great, and the driving is also great, more to come on that in a minute.

Technology / Features

So I'll keep this one short in stating that:
  1. All of the current tech features work pretty much the same. LKAS, CMBS, FCW, BSIS, etc. etc. Nothing new here.
  2. Infotainment/NAV system definitely has some improvements to it that the RLX should have. Most noticeable are the far more responsive and faster capacitive touch-screen, and the overall faster processing and responsiveness of the UI itself. After having some real time using the TLX system, the RLX system is an embarrassment for what you pay. Just like the suspension issue, Acura really needs to address this. I know I'm likely more sensitive to this than most of the current RLX owners as I am a true techy at heart and these types of things are very important for me. But if Acura wants to continue to carry the image of being a technology leader with the features they provide in their vehicles, then this is the type of stuff they simply can't let slide, especially with generation after generation of drivers becoming more and more tech savvy.

Driving Experience

Other than the interior, this is by far where the biggest differences come into play. While things like P-AWS are similar and give the car similar handling characteristics, there are three main things that really make the TLX a different (and IMO, better) driving experience than the RLX. Those are 1) IDS, 2) 9-speed DCT, 3) steering and handling and....wait for it....wait or it....4) the suspension.

Yes, the car is smaller and lighter, and as such already makes the car much more responsive and just flat out more fun to drive. Not only is it extremely quick and sporty, it handles everything with 100% confidence. Or at least everything that my humble car driving self can throw at it. Unlike my first taste of IDS in the 2014 MDX, in the TLX it seems to really transform the car from being a nice smooth cruiser, to a high-revving racer ready to take any quick and unexpected turns you throw at it. Sport+ mode takes it further by further increasing the responsiveness of the DCT and throttle characteristics of the engine. The throttle becomes extremely responsive and even P-AWS seems to really shine through stronger with the lighter and smaller chassis. I don't know if there are any active changes being made to P-AWS when you switch into Sport+ mode, but it feels as such, maybe tolerances are raised or other operating parameters are being modified on the fly? The car also recovers with much more grace and confidence whether it's super tight turns or quick shifts/changes in shifting, speed, or steering. And that even goes to say while just being in "Normal" mode.

The 9-speed DCT seems to operate really well and I like having the additional gears. They seem to give you more room to work with in variable RPM's and overall control of the speed of the vehicle. There are some occasions where it's slow to response, but in most cases it's pretty quick to shift and respond as you tell it to. I think it has more to do with the timing. On occasion it seems like it gets confused if I happen to make a manual shift change right at or slightly before it's about to make a change itself. In those occasions a push of the paddle ends in nothing happening. I have to tap it again for it to respond.

And the steering and overall handling is incredible. Again, the lighter and smaller chassis just giving you soo much more control over every nuance and aspect of how the car is moving, it's attitude, and it's stance. It seems to have a tighter turning radius, less "play" in the steering when turning, so you get far more reaction, response, and control when taking a turn, resulting in far more confidence when getting into a turn AND being aggressive on the throttle.

And that leaves us to the good ol suspension....

I honestly don't know how to write this last paragraph without going into a huge tirade. But all I can say is Acura really F'd up the suspension in the RLX P-AWS. After being in this loaner TLX now for over a week and driving the EXACT same routes I take too and from work, and knowing EVERY SINGLE bump, pot hole, etc. etc. to avoid when driving my RLX, I wonder how I do it. The TLX takes everything with absolute 100% confidence and recovers with not a single after-shock, rock, rattle, bobbing, bounce, etc. What was once a constant battle to avoid anything sub par on the road and having to pay constant attention to the road conditions has now just turned into a "driving" with no worries.

The TLX suspension has a very solid and confident "thud" with an immediate recover when hitting a bump or even large pot-holds. "thud" and recover. 1, 2, that's it. And that's if I even feel anything at all going right over areas with no disruption at all, whereas in my RLX it's a disaster. And don't think that the TLX is all super spongy, it has a really solid feel to the suspension. It hugs the road when you need it to, but instantly soaks up anything and everything without a single question. On the other hand the RLX hits anything extremely hard, loud, and with a physical shock in the steering wheel like the car is going to break or some serious damage is being done to the vehicle. You feel everything in the chassis of the car and you hear it. You don't get a muted "thud". You get loud "CLANK" "KLUNK"....as if the car was being slammed hard. It really is that bad, and that's why I'm at the point where I really don't like driving the car downtown at all. I'm constantly having to bob and weave and slow down and speed up and bob and weave again just to avoid feeling like the car is going to break, it's pathetic. It just feels like the car doesn't even have shocks at times. I just don't get it. I really don't. And it really upsets me because if the RLX handled the road half as good as the TLX does, it would make the driving experience just that much more enjoyable. As long as you keep the RLX on solid roads or highways, it drives and feels amazing, but seriously, Acura needs to figure this out. A $60k luxury sedan should not drive this like. Period. No excuses. I don't care what anyone has to say. The car has a serious defective design issue with the suspension and it needs to be resolved. And I'm at the point where if this is something that remains the same come 2016 when I turn in my lease and look at the MMC, I will be walking to another brand if they don't address this. I really like the TLX, but it doesn't carry the same level of sophistication and luxury that I want in a car, that the RLX does carry. But I also cannot deal with this suspension issue again.

Alright, time to crash. Hope you guys enjoy the read, here's a few pics of the loaner

Last edited by holografique; 11-29-2014 at 12:43 AM.
The following 9 users liked this post by holografique:
2011TL (11-30-2014), acuranj18 (11-29-2014), Brooks Hoy (07-06-2015), George Knighton (11-29-2014), hondamore (11-29-2014), R. White (11-30-2014), TSX69 (03-26-2015), victorber (11-29-2014), wstr75 (11-29-2014) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-29-2014, 05:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Great post and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Only quibble I have is that the V6 PAWS comes with a 9-speed automatic, not a DCT. It's the I4 that comes with an 8-speed DCT.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
holografique (11-30-2014), justnspace (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 05:54 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I read this last night but I was already in bed with an iPad and didn't have the wherewithal to do any typing. :-)

Thanks very much for a well thought out report.

I wish I could understand why my experience with the RLX suspension was different. I find it sometimes slightly ungainly, but I don't have any problem with how it responds, basically, in almost all situations. It seems to be designed for people who drive a certain way (not aggressively, but perhaps enthusiastically), and perhaps it is not suited to everyone.

I also cannot help wondering whether something changed as the months of production wore on.

My current car was made in January 2014, fairly late. However, my previous car was made in August 2013, and did not have any kind of suspension problem.

Are the cars being repaired under the suspension TSB made fairly early in the production run?

What you said about the TLX infotainment system's responsiveness is something that I also noticed and agree with. It's just our luck that the RLX was the first out of the gate, I suppose.

There's also one functionality in the TLX infotainment system of which I'm jealous. With the TLX you can rearrange the audio menu. So if you want Pandora and Aha on the front page along with XM and iPod, you can do that.

They could give us little things like that with a new firmware, but with only a few thousand of these cars on the road, I doubt they're especially inclined.
The following users liked this post:
holografique (11-30-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 06:00 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Great post and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Only quibble I have is that the V6 PAWS comes with a 9-speed automatic, not a DCT. It's the I4 that comes with an 8-speed DCT.
The way that the ZF 9 Speed shifts, it probably felt very unusual to him.

I can't remember which gears are involved, and it doesn't necessarily make sense. I think it's 5, 8 and 9 that use a dog toothed set of gears for the manual lockup, whereas the other gears use the more conventional flat faced clutched for the manual lockup.

Since the gears have to line up, it can make for kind of a hard shift, and you might even perceive a minor delay in the shift...it's not long but it is perceivable and can make you wonder.

So in the end, especially when the car is new, it can be perceived to shift unusually compared to the regular torque converter-only Honda 6 Speed in the RLX.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:28 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for the post. I like you am a Honda/Acura loyalist. My first was a 1985 Honda Prelude. Thirteen later and I now have a 2010 RL which I love. I am deciding between a 2014 RLX used and a 2015 TLX. This is my second RL and had a 1996 TL, 2000 TL and a 2004 TL. The TLX is intriguing. A vehicle that owners have stated how quiet it is, 0-60 in less than six seconds, handles like a dream, looks great inside and out and yet get close to 40 mpg's on the highway and comfortable. It is a hard decision since both IMO are fantastic. I test drove them both back to back and again different but both great.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:40 AM
Senior Moderator

I like the TLX, too, but the larger back seat of the RLX, which I must use for occasional mother-in-law transport, won out. Of course, I waited for the SH-AWD new version as well.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:29 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I'll have to take a day off and test drive both!

great write up!
and again, like neuronbob said; you were feeling the 9 speed regular auto and not the 8 speed DCT
Old 11-29-2014, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys, and sorry for the screw-up on the DCT versus ZF 9-speed. Noted for future reference

I did confirm that P-AWS is adjusted to be more "aggressive" when switching into "Sport+" mode, so that definitely attributes for the characteristic change in the cars handling and response when switching.

The way that the ZF 9 Speed shifts, it probably felt very unusual to him. I can't remember which gears are involved, and it doesn't necessarily make sense. I think it's 5, 8 and 9 that use a dog toothed set of gears for the manual lockup, whereas the other gears use the more conventional flat faced clutched for the manual lockup.
Since the gears have to line up, it can make for kind of a hard shift, and you might even perceive a minor delay in the shift...it's not long but it is perceivable and can make you wonder.
Actually, it didn't feel that unusual for me, other than just having more gears to shift, and the occasional delay that would occur. But it seems the delays only occurred while in "Normal" mode, and attempting to take it out of auto and into manual by tapping one of the paddles. Otherwise, in "Sport+" mode, once you tap a paddle, it moves into full manual and it behaves much more like I would expect a manual to behave, whereas the RLX will still try to make decisions for you in "Sport" mode with manual engaged.

I wish I could understand why my experience with the RLX suspension was different. I find it sometimes slightly ungainly, but I don't have any problem with how it responds, basically, in almost all situations. It seems to be designed for people who drive a certain way (not aggressively, but perhaps enthusiastically), and perhaps it is not suited to everyone.
I wish I could figure it out too George. I agree it's probably something that plagued the earliest batches of the build. Mine was purchased in July 2013, and it was shipped straight from Japan, and it's #3048, so I believe that's a fairly early build? I don't know if your road conditions are just overall better than mine or what, but I honestly don't feel like I'm exaggerating about this issue. I also don't feel like my expectations are off-base from what most drivers at my age or even higher would be looking for in this type of vehicle. I'm really basing it off of two things:
  1. the ride quality experienced across EVERY other Acura vehicle in the fleet, all of which surpass the suspension quality of the RLX.
  2. a pretty basic expectation of having a high-quality ride comfort based on the sale price, market segment and class of the RLX.

I don't think that's much to ask for and feel like it's a pretty basic ask of any consumer paying for this class of vehicle. At first I thought maybe I was being overly sensitive or just not setting the right expectations, but after driving the TLX loaner for a bit now, it only eliminated any prior doubts or questions I had on the issue. I would recommend going for a test drive in an TLX and test it over some areas that you first test with your RLX to see the difference I'm talking about.

After driving only the RLX for over a year, I became de-sensitized to the issue. I've written here before about my experience bringing the RLX home from the dealer in Jacksonville, FL and driving through my old neighborhood in downtown Atlanta, I was shocked at what a difference there was after all those years of driving my 06 TL through the same roads, and at first thought something was very wrong, but then in an attempt to justify my spend, I thought to myself "naaaaah, it's a $60k car! can't be anything wrong, maybe it's just me...". And as a result just sorta learned to live with it. But it wasn't till I was forced into a long period of not driving the RLX, it came back to me quickly.

Last edited by holografique; 11-29-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Thanks for the comparo.

At least some of the knocks on the RLX MAY be negated when the 2016 RLX's start arriving. That is, Acura has likely changed the suspension dampers, upgraded the software for the infotainment unit etc to eliminate most of your negative points in the comparo. The TLX is simply a few years newer in design and Acura has learned from the RLX's problems and weaknesses. This was no doubt very deliberate timing by Acura since they consider the TLX to have larger sales potential and seem to consider the RLX as an expensive, low-volume test bed.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

^ rather than "knocks", I like to refer to them as "opportunities"
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
hondamore (11-29-2014), victorber (11-30-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 11:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Something else I meant to mention in my original post:

One of the things I would love to see Acura do is place the RLX program under Matt Haggart. Based on my experience so far with the TLX, it has left me with the impression of someone who has demonstrated an outstanding ability to drive & manage the refinement and quality into the engineering level of a product, in this case Acura's cars. Despite some of the areas for "opportunity" (no product is ever perfect), you can feel the passion behind the engineering in the vehicle, at various levels. To me that is the sign of a well built product.

I could only see the RLX program benefiting greatly from his oversight and direction.
justnspace (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by holografique
I wish I could figure it out too George. I agree it's probably something that plagued the earliest batches of the build. Mine was purchased in July 2013, and it was shipped straight from Japan, and it's #3048, so I believe that's a fairly early build? I don't know if your road conditions are just overall better than mine or what, but I honestly don't feel like I'm exaggerating about this issue. I also don't feel like my expectations are off-base from what most drivers at my age or even higher would be looking for in this type of vehicle. I'm really basing it off of two things:.
A bunch of us are just going to have to meet somewhere and drive each other's cars to see if we can sort it.

That could happen, I guess.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Adding to my observations / tests on the suspension....

For those of you here in Atlanta, you know the evil "metal plates" that the Department of Public Works uses to cover small areas on the road that are under repair, upgrades, etc.

Yes, those things. This pic is real and if you want to learn more about these utterly annoying pests to the Atlanta roadways, go here:

* Everything you've ever wanted to know about those goddamn metal plates | News Feature | Creative Loafing Atlanta

* Another reason to hate those metal plates on Atlanta's roads | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

While the picture above is showing a far worse situation, notice how thick those plates are from the pavement level, particularly the one directly adjacent to the one that dipped into the ground. You see that? Well...you try driving over one of those in the RLX P-AWS doing 25-30mph or higher, and you're in for a harsh shock to the vehicle, to yourself, and any passengers in the car. Yes, 25-30mph. And they use these on roads where the speed limit is easily 45-50mph. So no, slowing down is not the answer to dealing with this type of stuff.

Take on those some metal plates with the TLX? You barely feel it.

Last edited by holografique; 11-29-2014 at 11:49 AM.
victorber (11-30-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton
A bunch of us are just going to have to meet somewhere and drive each other's cars to see if we can sort it.

That could happen, I guess.
As long as beer, wings and/or BBQ are involved, im in!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Wink Semi On Topic

Took my 2014 RLX Advance in for the recall today & got a 2015 MDX Tech FWD as a loaner. Altho it was a very nice vehicle, it was clearly a step below the RLX when you look at all the little details & touches.

For instance, the gauges did not have the chrome trim & the door switches lacked the chrome trim & did not light up quite the same way.

There was a thread previously about Acura's steering wheel leather quality & I can say this did not feel as nice as my RLX. This could be because the Tech does not come with Milano leather, altho not sure if that applies to the steering wheel as well.

In mixed driving I was getting ~24, a touch below my RLX.

I will say that that the interface was much quicker. Not sure what the difference is since this did not come out that long after the RLX.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:13 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
I read this last night but I was already in bed with an iPad and didn't have the wherewithal to do any typing. :-)

Thanks very much for a well thought out report.

I also cannot help wondering whether something changed as the months of production wore on.

My current car was made in January 2014, fairly late. However, my previous car was made in August 2013, and did not have any kind of suspension problem.

Are the cars being repaired under the suspension TSB made fairly early in the production run?

What you said about the TLX infotainment system's responsiveness is something that I also noticed and agree with. It's just our luck that the RLX was the first out of the gate, I suppose.

There's also one functionality in the TLX infotainment system of which I'm jealous. With the TLX you can rearrange the audio menu. So if you want Pandora and Aha on the front page along with XM and iPod, you can do that.

They could give us little things like that with a new firmware, but with only a few thousand of these cars on the road, I doubt they're especially inclined.
I agree with George, i don't have the same problems with my car that I have been reading in this forum, suspension, rattles, slow response, etc. I am not saying the car is perfect and agree the info system is not up to the par one would expect with this price car. But reading about some of the other comparable cars' nav/info system, all seem to have problems. Maybe it's because I don't own a first year redesign RLX production car, my is a 2015, so maybe they caught and fixed some of the issues, time will tell. I don't mean to be negative about your post, but all cars have pluses and negatives, no matter what their cost. My 2014 Avalon Limited has rear cross traffic monitoring which was one of the features I asked about when I was buying the Acura, I was surprise it did not have it but it was not a deal breaker. When I read post like these I wonder why the person brought the RLX, reading your post I think you might of been happier with the TLX. I looked at the TLX SH AWD but it did not have the size and comfort I was looking for in a car. Please don't take my post personally I just wonder what message we are sending to folks who may be interested in buying a RLX and find/read this forum for information.
hondamore (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 06:48 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^
I think you are misunderstanding holografique a little. He likes the car, overall, but offers a well-needed critique of the suspension that will benefit future RLX owners. There are enough owners stating a similar issue with the suspension that Acura has chosen to look into it and has apparently addressed it.

My primary critique of my car at this point is that I'm so spoiled by automatic locking that I keep leaving my car unlocked. UGGGGGGGGGH.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
I agree that this a great review/comparison of the RLX and TLX. Most of the reviews of the TLX are positive.
My RLX suspension definitely has problems. The VIN is in the 5000's. I have been waiting for the dealer to reschedule the front fix.

Side note: I received a promotional mailer from Acura yesterday. All the cars except the RLX shown. Throwing in the towel ?
Old 11-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
My primary critique of my car at this point is that I'm so spoiled by automatic locking that I keep leaving my car unlocked. UGGGGGGGGGH.
Interesting comment which brings to mind something I've thought about a few times. At this point the fob has become nothing more than a "proximity" device to allow the car to verify it's "you". Otherwise, every function it offers can be done elsewhere in the car (minus the PANIC button).

That being said, since for some odd reason Acura decided to remove the fob holder from the current gen vehicles (where are we supposed to put it?), rather than constantly fiddling with it or having it "rattle" somewhere in the center console area, I've learned to keep it in my pocket. As such, rather than having to reach in my pocket to lock the car every time I get out, I've just trained myself to use the door handle buttons
Old 11-30-2014, 10:49 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Interesting comment which brings to mind something I've thought about a few times. At this point the fob has become nothing more than a "proximity" device to allow the car to verify it's "you". Otherwise, every function it offers can be done elsewhere in the car (minus the PANIC button).

That being said, since for some odd reason Acura decided to remove the fob holder from the current gen vehicles (where are we supposed to put it?), rather than constantly fiddling with it or having it "rattle" somewhere in the center console area, I've learned to keep it in my pocket. As such, rather than having to reach in my pocket to lock the car every time I get out, I've just trained myself to use the door handle buttons
I've owned a number of cars that had keyless access with no automatic lock so I have not been spoiled by not having that feature. I just keep the fob in my pocket and lock the car by pressing the button on the handle, which is what I have been done with a number of my cars as well as my wife Pruis. Now the lack of rear cross monitoring has been my challenge to get use to not having.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by woropallo
I've owned a number of cars that had keyless access with no automatic lock so I have not been spoiled by not having that feature. I just keep the fob in my pocket and lock the car by pressing the button on the handle, which is what I have been done with a number of my cars as well as my wife Pruis.
That's the one thing that took some getting used too on my ZDX. I have to remember to press the button on the door to lock it. Hell, sometimes the OCD in me still presses the lock button on the key fob as I am walking away, even though I know I just pressed the button on the door. Coming from a 2012 Cadillac CTS Premium Coupe that had automatic door lock kind of spoiled me.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Senior Moderator

In my Cadi, the key fob never leaves my pocket. Frankly, that's the way it should work in this Acura. I can unlock and open the door to this car by simply putting my hand through the handle and pulling. I don't see why it's so difficult to program the door to lock when the door closes without a key fob inside, and to make that a user-programmable feature. With the Acura, it's just an extra step to lock the door.

In the case of the RLX, though, this complaint is a bit like turning down a Lambo Murcielago because of a small scratch on the driver's side door, or turning down Jessica Alba because she has a mole somewhere. Just an annoyance, but ya get used to it.

I wish for this to change for the 2016 MMC, so I hope someone, somewhere, in the bowels of Acura HQ in Torrance or their research department in Marysville, reads this plea. Or invites me to Marysville (only a two-hour drive from me ) so I can SHOW them this, along with the navi snafus.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

+1...I'd like to see this too. It should just be an added option to the "door lock" features already available in the "vehicle settings".
Old 11-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Silver looks bad ass on the TLX. This would be my second choice after Black Copper Pearl with the espresso interior.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:56 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by MisterZDX
... the espresso interior.
There's been some interest among the RLX/Legend crowd about that colour interior, too.

The three colors they've given us for the North American RLX, ebony, greystone and seacoast, don't seem to cover completely the options that people were looking for.

People seem to have expected a medium to dark brown leather, and a smaller percentage wanted a sort of cordovan (reddish brown) leather.
MisterZDX (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by R. White
Side note: I received a promotional mailer from Acura yesterday. All the cars except the RLX shown. Throwing in the towel ?
Further the Acura commercial for the Holidays in my area features 4 white Acuras: MDX, RDX, TSX and ILX. Maybe they should have put in an RLX in black (black sheep reference). I have not seen an Acura commercial which even references the RLX since the 'coming from behind' horserace last March.

I can only hope something noticeable arrives with the rumored 2016 launch in the spring.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like Acura lost their way, to release a "top of the line car" with buggy infotainment and bad suspension? I think there is an element where we are holding on to a notion that Honda/Acura means something (that includes consistency and quality and near perfection) that was factual in the past and less so today. The TLX sounds way better than the RLX but too small. Also the TLX rough gear changes many complained about, should that really be an issue in 2014 on a new Acura/Honda? I don't think we should have to get lucky when buying from this brand as that was not the norm in the past. Great review / compare and thank you.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
i wish i would have kept my 2009 rl instead of trading it in for the 2014 rlx . Outside of the interior space this car is a total fail. The suspension is crap it feels like i'm driving a truck once i go into the city. If i could go back in time i would definitely keep my old car.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:17 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bronx1480
i wish i would have kept my 2009 rl instead of trading it in for the 2014 rlx . Outside of the interior space this car is a total fail. The suspension is crap it feels like i'm driving a truck once i go into the city. If i could go back in time i would definitely keep my old car.
I do appreciate your post. Sorry for your frustration however but I own a 2010 RL which I love but itchy for something newer. I am/was considering a used RLX or a new TLX. I have had three TL's and two RL's. Have test driven both and liked both drives but they were different. It is so disappointing to read the post like yours. The RLX IMO looks great inside and out but seems like the problem becomes when it is moving.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
We own a '14 RLX P-AWS Adv and a '15 TLX Adv - I echo Holo's comments, especially on the suspension. The interior on the TLX is more utilitarian than on the RLX. I find hte infotainment sustem on the TLX to be more user friendly than on hte RLX, even though they are basically the same design. The remote start (standard) on the TLX is something the RLX should have come with. I enjoy drivning both cars but the suspension on he RLX gets a 3 out of 10 rating.
TampaRLX-SH (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Grandpa

One of the things I would love to see Acura do is place the RLX program under [Matt Hargett]
Even though it was an unpopular car when it was being manufactured, people who've owned the 4G TL see it as a very high quality, long live'd machine that does good things for Acura's reputation, and there's every indication that the TLX will do the same thing.

Some of us were afraid that Hargett would pay the price for the unpopularity of the 4G TL, but that doesn't seem to have happened, and that'll be good for Honda and Acura in North America. It's not that he just has good sense himself, he has a knack for working with people who come up with the good ideas...he didn't do it by himself but it's one of his talents that he listens to the right people to get the right ideas into a vehicle.

There *is* a rumor that there might be a version of the RLX Sport Hybrid or New Legend being produced in the United States, and I think that it'll be a better car for it.

There are some odd things about the RLX that make it stand out as an obviously Japanese design, including the relative lack of headroom in the rear. It doesn't make sense to me that I can sit up in the back of a TLX but my head brushes the ceiling sometimes in an RLX. And I could sit bolt upright in the back of my 4G TL, too.

That's just one little thing but its evocative of the car's being a Japanese Design Team vehicle, all the way through, and I suspect that all of the little things that people complain about, the things that add up to its being such an unpopular car overall, are mostly the result of its Japanese design and production.

Acura is an American brand, and should be wholly designed by Americans and built by Americans (including Canadians, of course).

We'd be the better off for it.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
2011TL (12-02-2014), Zoommer (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
Enjoyed reading this thread....a few observations:

RLX/TLX comparo: I believe that these cars should drive differently given weight and size and very different suspension geometries. The TLX does not have the same front suspension as the RLX. The RLX has dual front lower arms and a main valve for minor bumps....ACURA should look at this to tune for better ride.

Also the suspension on the RLX has reactive dampers on all 4 corners, and my opinion, this is playing a big role in how the cars reacts. See the original reviews of the redesigned Hyundai that also suffered from similar feedback. In common: SACHS ASD. I think that Acura can address these issues the same way other manufacturers have taken care of them.

Finally, in the last month I have been in or driven the G37x, 2006 TL + 2014 TL, Corrolla, AMG 550, Maxima, and Prius. I have to say that the Hy RLX is no worse than these cars in terms of feel and reaction to the road. I would say that other than the G37x and AMG the RLX is better than all others and on par with G37x...so far.

Thanks for the original post.

My 2 cents
Old 12-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Zoommer
In common: SACHS ASD.
I'm afraid you've likely hit the nail on the head. Something I've been waiting to hear is whether the parts associated with the TSB say Showa on them instead of Sachs.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I do have my reserve over the RLX. I have to see one yet , and drive one is more remote.If those reports are true about the suspension setup, even a 86 legend with
150,000 miles is more comfortable or even a beater 98 Accord. I cant belive the RLX is
less comfortable that these models.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by CARLOS10
I do have my reserve over the RLX. I have to see one yet , and drive one is more remote.If those reports are true about the suspension setup, even a 86 legend with
150,000 miles is more comfortable or even a beater 98 Accord. I cant belive the RLX is
I agree with this.

I hate it when everyone is going "sport" and "well-handled" cars while giving up the smooth/luxury ride. Car experts/magazines seem to only care about this than anything.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I hate it when everyone is going "sport" and "well-handled" cars while giving up the smooth/luxury ride. Car experts/magazines seem to only care about this than anything.
The thing is that the Sports Hybrid does have a smooth luxury ride. Because of the electric motors and torque vectoring it also has a great deal of power and terrific handling. For my money it is the best of both worlds -- smooth, comfortable cruiser that can feel like a big, powerful sports car if you put your foot down. Hard to describe the ride any better without actually sitting behind the wheel.
The following 4 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
fsmith (12-02-2014), hadokenuh (12-02-2014), hondamore (12-02-2014), neuronbob (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by bronx1480
I love my 2004 Acura RL and wouldn't trade it for anything......Can't agree with you more Bronx1480.....
Old 12-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by CARLOS10
I cant belive the RLX is
I'm sure it's not, really, but...well, you know how we get. :-)
Old 12-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Does the hybrid have a different suspension ? Does it use different parts?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by flagship
Does the hybrid have a different suspension ? Does it use different parts?
It does not appear so far to have different parts. The part numbers that people have compared are the same.

However, sometimes you have to get into the guts of things to find out more, and I don't think anybody's going to be doing that for a while.

For example, the 4G TL 6-6 SH-AWD has different suspension bushings from the 4G TL SH-AWD automatic...but it's not something that is overt enough for anybody to notice easily.

Quick Reply: RLX / TLX Comparison