Questions for RLX owners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Questions for RLX owners?

Hey,

At the moment, I'm contemplating the purchase of a 2016 SH-SH-AWD Pomegranate Pearl Advance(Elite, cause I live in Canada). Now, in Canada 2016 models have not been announced, yet. But their are still 2015 models available, since their are 3 in stock, I feel as if in the coming months, I can get a heavy discount. But I have some questions for those who are knowledgeable with Sport Hybrids. First, what the differences between a 2015(USDM 2014) Sport Hybrid Advance vs. 2016 Sport Hybrid Advance? Mind you, for 2015 in Canada, these cars do already have the Surround view camera, headlight washers and heated wheel. Now I've noticed on the USDM website that 2016 cars get accessories such as LED 4DR Illuminatied Skid plates, Wood Wheel, Remote Engine Start. I can't find any of these accessories on the 2015 RLX Canadian SH, but I don't see why I can't just but these, have them shipped, and installed at the Acura dealer? So please help me out with the accessories, and it would be great if someone could give me a run-down of 2014 SH Advance vs 2016 SH Advance. But 2015 Canadian SHs do already have the Surround view camera, headlight washers and heated wheel, keep that in mind.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Banned

Forgot to mention, I own a 2011 RL Advance Graphite Luster Metallic/ Graystone.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
You've outlined the major differences between USDM 2014 and the CDM 2015. For 2016, the USDM has all of those features built in other than a wood wheel, as you state.

I don't foresee any issue with getting the illuminated skid plates and wood wheel for the 2014 USDM model and having them installed at the dealer. Those parts are pretty much plug and play.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
2015 CA RLX SH = 2016 US RLX SH, plus / minus the market differences (i.e. headlight washers in CA where US Advance gets 2way remote start).

FYI the accessory wood trim steering wheel is NOT heated. I saw one ordered for my car yesterday at the dealer. It DOES have nice dimpled leather, thicker stitching and the wood trim tone matched the Chestnut of the SH, if ordered correctly. However, the US cost is just under $1k! So I decided to wait until either the pricing becomes more attractive or they update the accessory wheel to included heating.

The illuminated door sills are very cool, BUT they only come in a black plastic trim surround. If you have an interior color other than black, consider it. My interior is graystone and with other interior trim in black it works for me. The kick plate in the door threshold is also black, regardless of interior color, so it does look purposeful. I will try to snap some pics of mine.

There is also no inventory of the plastic trunk tray that I can find. I got the carpet mat for the trunk in the interim.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I don't believe the 2015 Canadian RLX Sport Hybrid is equipped with ALL of the latest technology of the Acura Watch safety bundle that is in the 2016 version.
2016 Acura Watch includes: (present on 2015 Canadian Sport Hybrid marked "check")

Adaptive cruise control - check
Collision mitigation braking - check
Forward collision warning - check
Lane departure warning - check
Lane keep assist - check
Road departure mitigation - no
Blind sport monitoring - check
Rear cross traffic alert - no
Surround view camera - check

Other than those couple of missing items, the 2015 Canadian Sport Hybrid will have the features of the 2016 US sport hybrid. The great unknown are the magnitude of the upgrades of the infotainment system etc and other tweaks here and there that have been made to the 2016 version.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:40 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

These are the illuminated door sills, front and rear, passenger side. As you see the plastic molding is black....but so is the door sill kick plate.
Attached Thumbnails Questions for RLX owners?-20150718_185921_001.jpg   Questions for RLX owners?-20150718_185939.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (07-18-2015), RLX3G (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TampaRL
2015 CA RLX SH = 2016 US RLX SH, plus / minus the market differences (i.e. headlight washers in CA where US Advance gets 2way remote start).

FYI the accessory wood trim steering wheel is NOT heated. I saw one ordered for my car yesterday at the dealer. It DOES have nice dimpled leather, thicker stitching and the wood trim tone matched the Chestnut of the SH, if ordered correctly. However, the US cost is just under $1k! So I decided to wait until either the pricing becomes more attractive or they update the accessory wheel to included heating.

The illuminated door sills are very cool, BUT they only come in a black plastic trim surround. If you have an interior color other than black, consider it. My interior is graystone and with other interior trim in black it works for me. The kick plate in the door threshold is also black, regardless of interior color, so it does look purposeful. I will try to snap some pics of mine.

There is also no inventory of the plastic trunk tray that I can find. I got the carpet mat for the trunk in the interim.
Thank you for the pictures, yours look a lot better than the ones on the US RLX Accessories webpage. Now, I'm surprised that the RLX doesn't have a heated wood wheel, not sure if it would be worth the trade off, especially considering the price. Take for example the Lexus ES(not a competitor to RLX, as RLX is a higher-class vehicle), but the ES has a wood wheel where the Wood isn't heated, but the leather is. Acura should make the wheel like this, so you get the best of both worlds. The LEDs in your picture look sweet, and I love the placement of the ACURA logo, where you don't step on it. As for the plastic, 2016 Acura RLX | Accessories | Acura.com this link states that the black plastic is injection molded, shouldn't this mean that it is soft or almost rubbery, instead of just plain old hard plastic?
Old 07-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hondamore
I don't believe the 2015 Canadian RLX Sport Hybrid is equipped with ALL of the latest technology of the Acura Watch safety bundle that is in the 2016 version.
2016 Acura Watch includes: (present on 2015 Canadian Sport Hybrid marked "check")

Adaptive cruise control - check
Collision mitigation braking - check
Forward collision warning - check
Lane departure warning - check
Lane keep assist - check
Road departure mitigation - no
Blind sport monitoring - check
Rear cross traffic alert - no
Surround view camera - check

Other than those couple of missing items, the 2015 Canadian Sport Hybrid will have the features of the 2016 US sport hybrid. The great unknown are the magnitude of the upgrades of the infotainment system etc and other tweaks here and there that have been made to the 2016 version.
Really do the upgrades to the infotainment system, fix serious flaws, if so, please list them. Also I'm not too fond of only loosing the Road departure mitigation and Rear cross traffic alert; I don't think lack of these features a drawback. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:53 PM
Banned

Also did Acura change the Sport Hybrid suspension for 2014 vs 2016, as they did the P-AWS? Also, is their a way to have the two way Acura Remote Start installed after the car is ordered? As I do not believe the CDN RLX SH 2015 has it available or standard, but I may be wrong.

Also, as most P-AWS journalist reviews have been rather, negative. I've noticed that most SH reviews have been rather, positive, with much less complaint about the suspension. Do SH owners like the suspension, on a scale of 1(firm) and 10(cushy), how would you rate the 2014 and 2016 suspension. I would love to know, especially if anyone has driven both. Also, are their any changes that have not been mentioned, I think all of the basis have been covered, am I correct?
Old 07-18-2015, 09:56 PM
Banned

UPDATE: on the CDN RLX SH build page, I've found the remote start option RLX REMOTE ENGINE STARTER KIT for $845.75. Is this option different than the two way remote start?

CDN 2015 SH top of the line 2015 Acura RLX
Old 07-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Banned

The USDM 2016 Acura RLX | Accessories | Acura.com

This RLX has the REMOTE ENGINE START SYSTEM III, which seems to be superior to the Remote shown on the Canadian web page, with a few more features as listed on the website, including the 3 LEDs integrated on the remote, but the US remote is half the price of the Canadian one. Would their be anyway to get the USDM remotes coded to the Keyless entry system on my car, from the dealer, with just ordering the remotes and going to the dealer?
Old 07-18-2015, 10:14 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by RLX3G
Thank you for the pictures, yours look a lot better than the ones on the US RLX Accessories webpage. Now, I'm surprised that the RLX doesn't have a heated wood wheel, not sure if it would be worth the trade off, especially considering the price. Take for example the Lexus ES(not a competitor to RLX, as RLX is a higher-class vehicle), but the ES has a wood wheel where the Wood isn't heated, but the leather is. Acura should make the wheel like this, so you get the best of both worlds. The LEDs in your picture look sweet, and I love the placement of the ACURA logo, where you don't step on it. As for the plastic, 2016 Acura RLX | Accessories | Acura.com this link states that the black plastic is injection molded, shouldn't this mean that it is soft or almost rubbery, instead of just plain old hard plastic?
The door sill plastic is of the same texture as the surrounding plastic trim. At first I was not keen on it being black, but after dealing with heel scars on my former RLs grey sills, I think it is a better option to have the black.

And like the wood trim steering wheel, they simply do not build many RLXs so the cost for accessories is high. Lexus sells boatloads of the ES. So the door sills compromise is all are black, and the wheel is not heated.

Concerning the remote start. The 2016 Advance models come with it in US configurations. It is a 2 way system that signals back to the fob with LEDs to let you know the car is activated. Previous remote starts were one way and a bit of a guess if the car received the signal and started.