A colony of bats flew into my car!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I have to commend you for not going to the dealership about this but I want you to understand why I even suggested it. I have bad luck with dealerships. #1 you know the BMW thing. (May 2015) #2 October 2013 Lexus of Shreveport : I got a low oil warning on my car, I took it to the Toyota dealership that I always go to and 3 different times they said no oil leak. on the 3rd time, I took it straight from there to lexus and they said they see the oil leak and I have to fix it. There is a recall on the car, they basically lied about it having a leak and their own people came out gave me their phone number (1 of the service people) and told me not to pay the $5,000 to fix it (which I was going to do). I called sewell lexus up (I guess you can say that is the ONLY place I haven't been screwed over) I took it over to them and they took a look at it and in an hour they said to leave it and they did the $6,000 recall job with piston rings etc. at no charge. April 2009 went to Dallas to buy a 06 RL, ended up staying the night and say a lexus GS 300 on ebay (some European Motorsports place). Went over to buy it and I put $500 down. I got on lexus forums and they said lexus always buy their cars back. I did a car fax no problems, and then auto check said frame damage reported at auction. I wanted to get the money back on the car and they refused. I am not mad about that since that car since It never had to have on repair. But I think they should have refunded the money after I found out it had frame damage on it before they even sold it to me. Jan 2003 (Mugstat Lexus in St Louis). There was a 01 Lexus gs400 on ebay. THey were selling it at a good price. This is a actual Lexus dealership. I got there after getting a bus ticket and going for 13 hours to get there. I got them to look up the VIN. THe car was in a major roll over accident and it got fixed there. EVen the service guy looked at the repairs and said it was bad. How can you sell a car in a major dealership that was in such a bad wreck? I still get postcards from that place. 2001 John Eagle Acura I thought I got a hell of a deal on the NSX, Sticker $136K, paid $97,500. They got me at a 9.2% interest rate. I bought that car and had to bring it in 4-5 times and threaten the lemon law because the car's check engine light kept coming on because it was running rich and burning up the fuel injectors. (they did fix it and got mad at me for threating them). Also When I was driving it in the rain it would fish tail all over the road. (they gave me the car with 4 bald tires and wires showing). (they did give me 4 new tires and wheels). At 6,800 miles the clutch went out. They did race that thing a few times also I didn't know how to drive a stick when I got it. Anyway I talked to the GM and I ended up paying 2/3 of the price and they paid 1/3 and I got labor done for free. $2,400 for the clutch. It wasn't a totally bad experience but they could have warned me how rough that thing rode and how you have to watch out not to knock the front end off. They probably could have gotten me a better interest rate also. 2002 (mitisibishi dealership in Houston texas off of i10 a mile or two from highway 6). I took the mitisibitshi turbo spyder I got for the girl there to get fixed. When I got it back it had green stuff coming out of the engine etc. The stupid girl I was dealing with wanted to go to San Antonio so we took it there. Long story short, I ended up blowing the engine up and they didn't fix it, coroporate didn't fix and accused me of abuse and racing it. We couldn't get the car over 100MPH even though it went 136 (suppose to have had). 1999 I was looking to buy a corvette, They wouldn't let me test drive it and I only got $10 off the car (Go buy yourself a steak dinner, I was told). I paid total MSRP, this was Nehls Cheverolet Marshal texas. I guess the only real time I had a good experience was when I bought my first car. I got on the internet, looked up what price I should pay for a car and then went to the place. I got there tried to get the first sales guy to listen to me and he basically told me to go to hell. I went to the next guy, presented my proposal to him, I got it for the price I wanted and also bought a used car for my grandmother, so he got 2 sales from me paid cash for each. I bought a 1997 eagle talon ESI for around $17K, and a used pontaic Grand prix for my grandmother for around $3K. I should have went back to the guy and said guess what ..... (damn I am starting to rant thinking of all these bad memories). So I can't say that was a completely good experience. Also I had a 3 month warranty on the grand prix. Before 3 months that thing started to smoke in the exaust and they didn't want to do anything about it. 1999/2000 Went to Orr Acura Shreveport. I went into the place asking about the NSX and basically got laughed out and no one wanted to talk to me about it. I ended up going to Arlignton to look at one that week. I looked at it and said, yes I have to get me on of these things. 2015 Same place, went in asking about the RLX/TLX. Car dealer was an asshole. Told me "why should I show you this since you are going somewhere else to buy it? Also said a few other things trying to get me to overpay for one of their cars. Then when I test drove the TLX (told him that if he ever had a computer problem I would do it for free 1 time). He drove it like some 16 year old. Tried to drift it, he made a lot of jerking movements trying to shake me up, and telling me that the RLX can't drive like this. Went in there about the overheating cameras and gave me a bad look the other day. Hell even the Toyota dealership that I am loyal to, I took my car Everytime but 2 times, I took it there to look at the ac. The ac was working when I got there. The outside air and inside air control worked. WHen I got it back it wasn't working, they broke it. (This was when I had the oil leak issue and lexus reached in and pulled the broken part out and gave it to me.) So they broke it and said nothing about it and I had to deal with outside air coming in all the time and all the smells. Hell the last service I did at the lexus dealership they charged me $15 to put the airfilter into the engine and $45 for fees to install the cabin filter. I NEVER had anyone charge me for that. I haven't left out any "good stories". So you can see I have a bit of contempt for car dealerships. I mean I went to ORR to get some screws for the bottom part of the license plate. They had NO IDEA that it took different screws. How can you not know and it is your car? I ended up getting gold screws for free but they don't match and I don't have a problem paying for some normal ones. Also how can you not know that the overheating thing was something in the manual for safety and you called it a Recall? So you see what I have been dealing with for forever. More stories : 2004 Decemeber or whatever , bought a 1999 bmw 5 series off ebay from a dealership in dallas or Houston. The car ended up being stolen. 2005 Bought a mecury (but that isn't a dealership ended up being stolen also but somehow dmv registered it, but the 2nd time the car turned on check engine light came on.) So someone got the code off then sold it to me then code came on. I ended up having to do the same thing to get rid of it a month or two later. Bad luck with cars

Last edited by krava; 06-03-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 748 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by krava
How exactly do you disable the mirrors from folding in. (I know it is in the manual, but too busy to look it up). Also you push a button on the mirror like on the trunk?
To disable the automatic power folding mirror feature, press the settings button and follow the illustration bellow:

To fold the mirrors whenever you need to (manually):

HTH
The following 2 users liked this post by pgeorg:
Limelight (06-04-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 07:34 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
there's a flow chart to operate mirrors?
Old 06-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by pgeorg
To disable the automatic power folding mirror feature, press the settings button and follow the illustration bellow:

To fold the mirrors whenever you need to (manually):

HTH
I must have fallen off the technology "stupid" truck, because I don't know how you find this material which is fantastic, much less how you post it on the thread the way you do. Great work!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I must have fallen off the technology "stupid" truck, because I don't know how you find this material....
I think that pgeorg has rapidly proved himself to be our resident hyper-analytical resource.
The following 3 users liked this post by George Knighton:
fsmith (06-04-2015), jwong77 (06-04-2015), pgeorg (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I must have fallen off the technology "stupid" truck, because I don't know how you find this material which is fantastic, much less how you post it on the thread the way you do. Great work!
Thank you RLX-Sport Hybrid! I take it from the users manual, and just clip the parts i need. I can show you when you get some free time, my friend!
The following 2 users liked this post by pgeorg:
fsmith (06-04-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I think that pgeorg has rapidly proved himself to be our resident hyper-analytical resource.
That is a GREAT complement coming from you George! Thank you!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Like an older smarter brother (or uncle).
The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
fsmith (06-04-2015), pgeorg (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 08:44 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by pgeorg
Thank you RLX-Sport Hybrid! I take it from the users manual, and just clip the parts i need. I can show you when you get some free time, my friend!

Like others, I've been guilty of asking a question vs. sifting through the many pages of the owner's manual. You are very patient and kind in your thoughtful and timely responses, and I know I speak for everyone when I say 'thanks'
The following 5 users liked this post by Limelight:
fsmith (06-04-2015), hondamore (06-04-2015), Malibu Flyer (06-04-2015), pgeorg (06-04-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 08:49 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
You know you can just ctrl+f to search the manual, right?
Old 06-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
Like others, I've been guilty of asking a question vs. sifting through the many pages of the owner's manual. You are very patient and kind in your thoughtful and timely responses, and I know I speak for everyone when I say 'thanks'
Thank you CanadacuraTL!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:32 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by krava
I have to commend you for not going to the dealership about this but I want you to understand why I even suggested it. I have bad luck with dealerships. #1 you know the BMW thing. (May 2015) #2 October 2013 Lexus of Shreveport : I got a low oil warning on my car, I took it to the Toyota dealership that I always go to and 3 different times they said no oil leak. on the 3rd time, I took it straight from there to lexus and they said they see the oil leak and I have to fix it. There is a recall on the car, they basically lied about it having a leak and their own people came out gave me their phone number (1 of the service people) and told me not to pay the $5,000 to fix it (which I was going to do). I called sewell lexus up (I guess you can say that is the ONLY place I haven't been screwed over) I took it over to them and they took a look at it and in an hour they said to leave it and they did the $6,000 recall job with piston rings etc. at no charge. April 2009 went to Dallas to buy a 06 RL, ended up staying the night and say a lexus GS 300 on ebay (some European Motorsports place). Went over to buy it and I put $500 down. I got on lexus forums and they said lexus always buy their cars back. I did a car fax no problems, and then auto check said frame damage reported at auction. I wanted to get the money back on the car and they refused. I am not mad about that since that car since It never had to have on repair. But I think they should have refunded the money after I found out it had frame damage on it before they even sold it to me. Jan 2003 (Mugstat Lexus in St Louis). There was a 01 Lexus gs400 on ebay. THey were selling it at a good price. This is a actual Lexus dealership. I got there after getting a bus ticket and going for 13 hours to get there. I got them to look up the VIN. THe car was in a major roll over accident and it got fixed there. EVen the service guy looked at the repairs and said it was bad. How can you sell a car in a major dealership that was in such a bad wreck? I still get postcards from that place. 2001 John Eagle Acura I thought I got a hell of a deal on the NSX, Sticker $136K, paid $97,500. They got me at a 9.2% interest rate. I bought that car and had to bring it in 4-5 times and threaten the lemon law because the car's check engine light kept coming on because it was running rich and burning up the fuel injectors. (they did fix it and got mad at me for threating them). Also When I was driving it in the rain it would fish tail all over the road. (they gave me the car with 4 bald tires and wires showing). (they did give me 4 new tires and wheels). At 6,800 miles the clutch went out. They did race that thing a few times also I didn't know how to drive a stick when I got it. Anyway I talked to the GM and I ended up paying 2/3 of the price and they paid 1/3 and I got labor done for free. $2,400 for the clutch. It wasn't a totally bad experience but they could have warned me how rough that thing rode and how you have to watch out not to knock the front end off. They probably could have gotten me a better interest rate also. 2002 (mitisibishi dealership in Houston texas off of i10 a mile or two from highway 6). I took the mitisibitshi turbo spyder I got for the girl there to get fixed. When I got it back it had green stuff coming out of the engine etc. The stupid girl I was dealing with wanted to go to San Antonio so we took it there. Long story short, I ended up blowing the engine up and they didn't fix it, coroporate didn't fix and accused me of abuse and racing it. We couldn't get the car over 100MPH even though it went 136 (suppose to have had). 1999 I was looking to buy a corvette, They wouldn't let me test drive it and I only got $10 off the car (Go buy yourself a steak dinner, I was told). I paid total MSRP, this was Nehls Cheverolet Marshal texas. I guess the only real time I had a good experience was when I bought my first car. I got on the internet, looked up what price I should pay for a car and then went to the place. I got there tried to get the first sales guy to listen to me and he basically told me to go to hell. I went to the next guy, presented my proposal to him, I got it for the price I wanted and also bought a used car for my grandmother, so he got 2 sales from me paid cash for each. I bought a 1997 eagle talon ESI for around $17K, and a used pontaic Grand prix for my grandmother for around $3K. I should have went back to the guy and said guess what ..... (damn I am starting to rant thinking of all these bad memories). So I can't say that was a completely good experience. Also I had a 3 month warranty on the grand prix. Before 3 months that thing started to smoke in the exaust and they didn't want to do anything about it. 1999/2000 Went to Orr Acura Shreveport. I went into the place asking about the NSX and basically got laughed out and no one wanted to talk to me about it. I ended up going to Arlignton to look at one that week. I looked at it and said, yes I have to get me on of these things. 2015 Same place, went in asking about the RLX/TLX. Car dealer was an asshole. Told me "why should I show you this since you are going somewhere else to buy it? Also said a few other things trying to get me to overpay for one of their cars. Then when I test drove the TLX (told him that if he ever had a computer problem I would do it for free 1 time). He drove it like some 16 year old. Tried to drift it, he made a lot of jerking movements trying to shake me up, and telling me that the RLX can't drive like this. Went in there about the overheating cameras and gave me a bad look the other day. Hell even the Toyota dealership that I am loyal to, I took my car Everytime but 2 times, I took it there to look at the ac. The ac was working when I got there. The outside air and inside air control worked. WHen I got it back it wasn't working, they broke it. (This was when I had the oil leak issue and lexus reached in and pulled the broken part out and gave it to me.) So they broke it and said nothing about it and I had to deal with outside air coming in all the time and all the smells. Hell the last service I did at the lexus dealership they charged me $15 to put the airfilter into the engine and $45 for fees to install the cabin filter. I NEVER had anyone charge me for that. I haven't left out any "good stories". So you can see I have a bit of contempt for car dealerships. I mean I went to ORR to get some screws for the bottom part of the license plate. They had NO IDEA that it took different screws. How can you not know and it is your car? I ended up getting gold screws for free but they don't match and I don't have a problem paying for some normal ones. Also how can you not know that the overheating thing was something in the manual for safety and you called it a Recall? So you see what I have been dealing with for forever. More stories : 2004 Decemeber or whatever , bought a 1999 bmw 5 series off ebay from a dealership in dallas or Houston. The car ended up being stolen. 2005 Bought a mecury (but that isn't a dealership ended up being stolen also but somehow dmv registered it, but the 2nd time the car turned on check engine light came on.) So someone got the code off then sold it to me then code came on. I ended up having to do the same thing to get rid of it a month or two later. Bad luck with cars
It's interesting that you post this because several months ago I had to deal with a dealership myself and you know your local issues with BMW dealership May 2015 and the Lexus dealershp of Shreveport 2013 are very similar to my dealings with Aston Martin dealership in Vancouver of August 2005 and previous to that #2 Toyota of Long Beach in 2003 when trying to resolve a master cylinder issue. Basically with Aston Martin I had traded my Toyota for a 2003 Vantage DB7, which was a phenomenal car. During a visit I with some business partners (illicit business deal, long story), I had to have my trunk relined because of some stains (evidence). This Aston Martin dealership is one of the highest volume Aston Martin dealerships in all of North America. I thought it would be no problem. Aston Martin at carplex in Los Angeles had always treated me like royalty so I expected nothing less from their high volume team in Vancouver. The service writer had the gall to question why my trunk liner was destroyed, stained and musky. I told them to just replace it, I'll pay for it, but I really think with my big purchase it should be rolled in under warranty as goodwill. We went back and forth until he agreed, but then he came back and said the brake pads were low, rotors were warped and they weren't covered under warranty. He said it would cost $5,000 to fix it (which was quite a lot back then). I called carplex and they said they would cover it as blanket coverage under the bumper to bumper warranty even though it was technically a maintenance item. I argued with the Vancouver service writer that it would be covered and they should do the same. He said no, even though the warped rotors were clearly a design flaw since I barely had 10k miles on the car and had not tracked it. I had only taken it up I5 several trips to make business runs, although I would drive quite speedily in the wee hours to go under the usual commute radar of smokey. After arguing for a few minutes, I went to inspect the rotors and saw that they were not warped as stated and the brake pads were 80%. They lied and tried to upsell charges on me. I rejected his claim and asked for the general manager to come out to file a formal complaint. Upon the general manager seeing me (young chinese gangster, probably his money laundering front), he agreed that it must have been a mistake / miscommunication. Saw my initial report to change the lining and gave me an eyebrow shrug then sent the advisor away. He knew my line of business and quickly recognized the private nature of my business there. He waved his hands at some nearby techs, instructed them to burn the old liner, dispose of it, clean down the DB7 top to bottom, and install a new liner. He shook my hand, gave me his business card, and told his guys to get me on my way asap. I was in and out of there within 30 minutes after that. It's really talking to the right person I learned. I never need that exact service but on a subsequent visit, I had to have certain small pieces of led removed from my trunk and my rear glass replaced, the young dragonhead took care of me like royalty. I paid a fee for good friendship and partnership, but it was a small price to pay for such good service. At my previous dealership with the Toyota, I had a bad master cylinder. It all unfolded when I was doing a high speed run in my sleeper camry. I was running a custom manifold with 4 NOS injection ports. I was doing runs between the mexican border at the time and needed to put distance between me and la migra or federalis. After modifying the car for speed, I essentially didn't change the brake setup. After one evening run, we ran dark with the lights off.. well.. we had the unfortunate luck of hitting the back of a stalled vehicle. Now the problem was that I could have braked much earlier but when I pressed the brake, the pedal went to the floor with no pressure. I pumped the brake several times until it finally caught and sent the tires up in smoke. But it was too late and we collided. Fortunately for us, the car still ran, we finished the run and got the camry back to Long Beach after making the drop off. I took it in subsequently to the Long Beach dealership. It had minor body work, a punctured condensor but the bumper and radiator were fine. I told the service writer about the failed brakes, they took it in to inspect, and the service writer came back saying they couldn't warranty it due to the modifications we made to the car. I was irate. I explained that it had to relation to the failed brakes and that we never touched the brake setup. I compelled him that the failure of the master cylinder or booster could have cost us our lives in more than one way. I then requested the general manager to come out and hear our grievances. The general manager was this big suge knight looking fellow wearing a nicely pressed suit and gator shoes. He also wore a rolex and had several gold pieces of jewelry, very flashy for a Toyota employee, I figured he had other businesses in the Long Beach area. The general manager was obstinate and would fold on warrantying the work. I'm not one to file lawsuits but I knew this issue had big implications. The general manager talked with the service writer and figured we were probably some dumb street racers. At that point I made a call to some associates of mine who showed up in support. The general manager didn't look amused and our power move didn't seem to sway him as he called some associates (not with Toyota, some who were) to meet our associates as well. yada yada yada.. things didn't go so well. Needless to say, the camry stayed in the shop, at least what was left of it, and we took our business to Aston Martin. We also changed our business model to run north rather than south since it seemed that general manager had unknown ties to our business, which quickly ended. That issue with the brakes had farther reaching reports of failure, even as early 7,000 miles, did I read reports of failure or sponginess. Although I bought the car for $20k @ 34.50%, since it was never returned to us, we stopped payment. For years they tried to get money out of us. Long story short, we called a guy and that guy called another guy who called another guy he knew when he was upstate. That guy and another guy he bunked with took care of it. I've had to deal with many dealerships but I have matured in the way I approach them and who I deal with. Never deal with a straight up dealership, you need to know that a partnership will be formed and a circle of trust will be protected. The dealership before last I checked didn't fall into this category. I went test drive a Jeep SRT8, the salesman tried to sell me on another vehicle. He brought around a corvette, I said no, he said lets just go for a drive and talk. He tried accelerating hard and drifting the vette around thinking he could impress me with the performance. He was real jerky with the operation of the vette and I was concerned he was going to lose traction and crash. We came back and he wouldn't stop trying to sell me the vette. He didn't understand my needs in my line of business to have a vehicle that could get around in a dynamic environment. So I took my business to another dealership where this was understood. Even when I had issues with the jeep AC failing, which is an issue when making a 100 mile desert trek, they sent a tech to fix it. When I needed clean blank plates, they hooked me up. Even when they broke my driver side seat motor during an steering column / rack adjustment after hitting some rocks (long story), they took care of it. Loyalty at times does pay off in the long run and finding the right point of contact is essential as I learned early on in my career dealing with Aston Martin. I still keep in contact with that GM who has moved on to other roles as the dealership is not his primary focus, but he still takes care of us, even though we don't have a AM anymore. Although the newly planned SUV might fit the bill with the right modifications, but we'll see. As for now, I chose the right places to deal with. Whether it's warrantied / goodwilled / business.. you should find a place that takes care of you with a certain gauge for competency. You don't want the lowest guy working on your ride. Generally cars come and go, whether they're stolen from you, burned out in the desert, or put on a APB. I used to run lojack, but now I use them and on to the next. The important thing is not how you view your luck with cars, but forming the right relationships to keep you in business. Everything else can be fixed.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nobody respond to Majofo's last post. Dr. Bob time to lock this thread down now that this guy showed up again. Very disappointing and irritating.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
All I can say Majofo is best of luck in your future ventures. Your line of business seems very stressful and definitely difficult to manage!

You might want to look around for better interest rate on your loans. I understand you might have bad credit because of the nature of your employement but nobody should have this bad interest rates!

Once again, best of luck.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:42 PM

It's tough to build credit when I deal in straight cash. I mean, in the hindsight, if I paid off the camry I could built my credit up. But it's not a primary goal of mine since I pay cash for almost everything else. Financing the camry was actually doing a good one for a friend we'll say. He got 10 points on the deal and buy down another 2%. It's convoluted, but it's ingenius way to make some side money while being able to put a trail to your so-called earned money. Regardless, if I ever do need to finance again, I have enough assets to make it low risk. If you want more info on how to shave points and get points back into your pocket, send me a PM. Don't want to clutter up this thread.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by polobunny
All I can say Majofo is best of luck in your future ventures. Your line of business seems very stressful and definitely difficult to manage!

You might want to look around for better interest rate on your loans. I understand you might have bad credit because of the nature of your employement but nobody should have this bad interest rates!

Once again, best of luck.
That entire post is a farse to make fun of krava's post. He is fairly creative in his writing but don't be fooled. There are many things wrong with this guy. Don't give him the satisfaction of replying to his comments.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
It's tough to build credit when I deal in straight cash. I mean, in the hindsight, if I paid off the camry I could built my credit up. But it's not a primary goal of mine since I pay cash for almost everything else. Financing the camry was actually doing a good one for a friend we'll say. He got 10 points on the deal and buy down another 2%. It's convoluted, but it's ingenius way to make some side money while being able to put a trail to your so-called earned money. Regardless, if I ever do need to finance again, I have enough assets to make it low risk. If you want more info on how to shave points and get points back into your pocket, send me a PM. Don't want to clutter up this thread.
I've had difficulty in the past building credit due to some of my bad decisions (in retrospect). Sometimes keeping it simple is better. I was living with my mother and I was a simple teenager, taking it easy as they say, usually playing basketball outside of school where I spent most of my time. New kids, slightly older than me started making fuss in the area, just messing with me and my friends and at some point I couldn't take it anymore. I got into one small fight but my mother got scared and she didn't want me to get in trouble so she sent me to live with my uncle and his wife where the neighborhood was much better. That meant leaving all my friends behind though and I was not ready for this so I cried to her as much as I could but nothing stopped her (you know a mother's decision is hard to reverse), she did not change her mind at all. She packed my luggage and put me on the bus with a kiss and my ticket and that's when I realized I might as well enjoy it if I have no choice! Mind you this was a while ago back when Sony Walkmans were the thing, the yellow portable cassette player. I had got one for Christmas the year before and so listening to it was what I did most of the ride. One thing with my uncle is that he has a lot of money so the bus ride paid by him was not in "coach" if you know what I mean but rather first class and I was thoroughly impressed with the high level of refinement (and you know it's true when a teenager notices this), even the orange juice was not from concentrate... Seemed to me like this was customary of upper neighborhoods, something I've never been used to but could definitely see myself enjoying. But that's really when it went downhill as I must have got mistaken for someone else when I exited the bus. Someone looking like a security agent, with a menacing look had a board with my name on it and he looked at me intensely when he noticed me coming out. My instincts told me to run which is exactly what I did and I don't think he even saw me escape despite him staring right at me! I really thought something was fishy and I decided to wait it out instead of going straight to my uncle who I always suspected of physically harming his wife. I found a place for homeless people since I was not able to get my luggage after darting out of the bus. I stayed there for around a month while trying to find some work which I did eventually in the form of illicit good selling (you have to do what you have to do) and after that month I was able to move in with 3 other roommates in a small apartment. Oh and by the way thanks to the homeless shelter they were very nice people and very helpful. So after a while I would say around 6 months of living with other people I wanted to get a real job as I had trouble paying utilities (which were under my name, also because my roommates were not very reliable) and I saw radioshack was posting job offers and since I knew about Walkmans I thought this would be perfect for me. I went to the job interview and next thing you know I got it (I had to lie about being older though)! That was a great relief as I didn't want to do illegal things for my whole life, I knew better than that. The landlord at the apartment requested his money and because I just got work at radioshack I was unable to pay him and my roommates and I had to vacate the apartment immediately. I was able to move in with different people I have met over the course of my previous "job" but the problem is that it was 1 hour 45 minutes farther away from my work at radioshack which was already 30 minutes away from the apartment I had to leave! The buses I had to take didn't play in my favor so that's when I realized I had to get a car and was also quite happy that my mother made me take driving classes before as it is necessary in Canada if you want to operate a car. The problem of the money was still present however as I had none to be able to buy a car but I had a good idea to build credit! I could get a loan at radioshack easily as I worked there. So I did exactly that and got a loan for a multi feature alarm clock at a lower interest rate and after one month I went to a used car lot near my apartment and they finally accepted me. This was a second relief as I was getting very tired of waking up early to take many buses to go to work. The alarm clock was just an added bonus since I'm not a morning person it really help me wake up on time. So if anything this shows how you can build credit even when you have made mistakes in life you have to start with simple small things and work from there.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by polobunny
I've had difficulty in the past building credit due to some of my bad decisions (in retrospect). Sometimes keeping it simple is better. I was living with my mother and I was a simple teenager, taking it easy as they say, usually playing basketball outside of school where I spent most of my time. New kids, slightly older than me started making fuss in the area, just messing with me and my friends and at some point I couldn't take it anymore. I got into one small fight but my mother got scared and she didn't want me to get in trouble so she sent me to live with my uncle and his wife where the neighborhood was much better. That meant leaving all my friends behind though and I was not ready for this so I cried to her as much as I could but nothing stopped her (you know a mother's decision is hard to reverse), she did not change her mind at all. She packed my luggage and put me on the bus with a kiss and my ticket and that's when I realized I might as well enjoy it if I have no choice! Mind you this was a while ago back when Sony Walkmans were the thing, the yellow portable cassette player. I had got one for Christmas the year before and so listening to it was what I did most of the ride. One thing with my uncle is that he has a lot of money so the bus ride paid by him was not in "coach" if you know what I mean but rather first class and I was thoroughly impressed with the high level of refinement (and you know it's true when a teenager notices this), even the orange juice was not from concentrate... Seemed to me like this was customary of upper neighborhoods, something I've never been used to but could definitely see myself enjoying. But that's really when it went downhill as I must have got mistaken for someone else when I exited the bus. Someone looking like a security agent, with a menacing look had a board with my name on it and he looked at me intensely when he noticed me coming out. My instincts told me to run which is exactly what I did and I don't think he even saw me escape despite him staring right at me! I really thought something was fishy and I decided to wait it out instead of going straight to my uncle who I always suspected of physically harming his wife. I found a place for homeless people since I was not able to get my luggage after darting out of the bus. I stayed there for around a month while trying to find some work which I did eventually in the form of illicit good selling (you have to do what you have to do) and after that month I was able to move in with 3 other roommates in a small apartment. Oh and by the way thanks to the homeless shelter they were very nice people and very helpful. So after a while I would say around 6 months of living with other people I wanted to get a real job as I had trouble paying utilities (which were under my name, also because my roommates were not very reliable) and I saw radioshack was posting job offers and since I knew about Walkmans I thought this would be perfect for me. I went to the job interview and next thing you know I got it (I had to lie about being older though)! That was a great relief as I didn't want to do illegal things for my whole life, I knew better than that. The landlord at the apartment requested his money and because I just got work at radioshack I was unable to pay him and my roommates and I had to vacate the apartment immediately. I was able to move in with different people I have met over the course of my previous "job" but the problem is that it was 1 hour 45 minutes farther away from my work at radioshack which was already 30 minutes away from the apartment I had to leave! The buses I had to take didn't play in my favor so that's when I realized I had to get a car and was also quite happy that my mother made me take driving classes before as it is necessary in Canada if you want to operate a car. The problem of the money was still present however as I had none to be able to buy a car but I had a good idea to build credit! I could get a loan at radioshack easily as I worked there. So I did exactly that and got a loan for a multi feature alarm clock at a lower interest rate and after one month I went to a used car lot near my apartment and they finally accepted me. This was a second relief as I was getting very tired of waking up early to take many buses to go to work. The alarm clock was just an added bonus since I'm not a morning person it really help me wake up on time. So if anything this shows how you can build credit even when you have made mistakes in life you have to start with simple small things and work from there.
Life is truly a conundrum my friend. I too have had a tumultuous journey. In my young 60 years, I have seen more than some twice my age. I have run with the bulls in Pamplona alongside my dear friend Christopher Walken of the deer hunter fame, to selling used tires out of an old sicilian man's shop in Worchester a year later. I sold used tires so that I could rub elbows with certain characters (Cosa Nostra never buy new tires), which brought me to my current situation. Side story, Christopher Walken dated my sister who was studying liberal arts at Hofstra. I too am Hofstra alumni. I went on an athletics scholarship, but after injuring my ankle and being sidelined for an extended period, focused myself on the ancient greek studies. I knew it wouldn't be helpful in the job market, but I knew my path was set for something different. I figured if I could learn from the past and use those lessons to my advantage, it would be well worth the investment. But I digress. Back to the tire shop, after installing the tires one evening. I saw a man running to the back of the shop. He was wearing a hoodie in tattered pants and old all stars. I immediately knew something was awry, so I grabbed my trusty tire iron and followed him to the back of the shop where I observed him take cover. Once I got to the back of the shop, the guy was gone. I figured he was hiding because at the east entrance, there was only one exit. Unless he could climb to the catwalk, but I checked it over after noticing no one in the back. I just couldn't pull myself from finding out who / why that person was back there. There wasn't anything to steal, and you surely wouldn't want to steal from this shop, as dingy as it looked. I felt my palm sweating as I searched through the back, calling out who's there? As I was wiping my palm, holding the iron in my other hand, a figure popped out from the back of a corner table. It was a black kid, maybe 12 or 13, who looked like he had been on the street for sometime. I asked the kid what he was doing there and he replied that he had been living in the back for the past few weeks, having no place to stay. I asked him where his parents were and he said Africa. I asked him if he had any family and he replied that he did but didn't have any way to get a hold of them or money to see them. I bought the kid some soup and a cheesesteak from a local dive and bought him a plane ticket to Hawaii with some pocket money so that he could reconnect with his grandparents who were unaware of his current situation. I then pulled some strings and got that kid admitted into a very prestigious private school under the premise that he was a phenomenal basketball player. I didn't know if the kid could play or not, but I figured he probably could, and if he couldn't, it's Hawaii.. I doubt there were any good players there at the time. I never found out what happened to the kid, but I knew I made difference. I was usually so intertwined in my own path that I forgot that it's about the journey more than the destination, but I knew my journey didn't end at that little tire shop. I worked my way up and networked with a consigliere for a local family. I did a favor for him, it turned out well, that favor turned into many favors. I proved myself and although the favors carried an inherent risk, I made sure that I covered the outcomes. If my mission was interrupted or the packages were removed from my possession, I would fund the loss on my end to continue business. You have to pay to play. If you are entrusted to do business, expect it to be done. I would learn later that some business associates used this against me, but that's a much longer story. I earned some credibility and notoriety in the community, before I knew it, I was flying out to Boston, NYC, Durham, Miami, taking yachts out to Key West and Caribbean locales. I was living quite the life on the east. It would come crumbling down eventually, but as any journey, you build your pebbles back up. I took what I learned, the experiences I gained, and kept a good network of people I met in between to get where I am today. Form the janitor at Whitle Castle on 3rd and Phili to Freddy Smith, now the top dog of a big time shipper, you'll never know when you might need their number. Always treat those you meet with respect, like their royalty, and you can expect to call in a favor or two when it's needed. Starting simple is indeed the path, but when you grow, when your time is limited, remember your roots, otherwise all is lost. Keep it simple, stay simple. Oh.. getting back to Chris Walken.. he offered me a main starring role in Biloxi blues in the 80s. I was in the clink in Puerto Rico, so I told my friend, unless you can change the location to San Juan, I might need to pass. We had a good laugh and he instead invited me to the premier where I met my 2nd wife.. oye vey!

Last edited by Majofo; 06-04-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Thread has been closed.

Please refrain from Ramblings-esque hijackings or bans will be issued.

Thanks,

The Management
The following 5 users liked this post by Ken1997TL:
cu2wagon (06-05-2015), fsmith (06-04-2015), hondamore (06-05-2015), Malibu Flyer (06-05-2015), usdmJON (06-04-2015)