Beta tester, I mean, new owner of #00217 checking in

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^^^ Yup, I commented on winter blend earlier. I was really worried about the mileage initially, but really the first two tanks are not an indicator for an issue.

On another note, for all of you in areas where the temperature regularly falls below freezing, the engine warms up pretty quickly. The outside temperature this morning was 12 deg F (that's -11 deg C for our Canadian friends). I started the car and "warmed it up" for 30 seconds, long enough for fluids to circulate in the engine, then set off. By the time I had travelled about two miles, the engine was fully warmed--that is, the little blue light went off. The interior of the car warms up reasonably quickly in this temperature range.

I suspect this experience is not significantly different from the experience of our friends with PAWS RLXs.
What little blue light are you guys talking about?
Old 11-20-2014, 07:53 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
What little blue light are you guys talking about?
There's no coolant temperature gauge in the Sport Hybrid.

All we have is a little blue light with a thermometer icon, residing between the gauge for the 250 volt batteries and the tachometer. The gauge for the batteries replaces the analogue temperature gauge on the FWD RLX.

It's a little thing, but lights up bright when the motor's cold.

It goes off when it is a "safe" temperature, but we're never going to know anything except it's "safe."
Old 11-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
ah, gotcha. thanks for clarifying.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
A few more random notes:

So have any of you other Sport Hybrid owners experienced this yet?

A number of people have looked my way while under pure electric power in the parking lot. I think they are a bit jarred that a car is making no sound at all. I rolled my window down and noted no external noise other than the rocks in the asphalt crunching under the weight of the car. complete stealth achieved!

On another note, and this is for all RLX owners, I am finding it annoying that I can't set my car to lock automatically. In my Cadi, that's a user setting and I can count on the car locking in 15 seconds after I leave the car, with a confirmatory "honk". In the RLX, I must remember every time to press the outside button, else the car doesn't lock. I've already had to use the Acuralink app a number of times to lock the car remotely. I see no obvious user setting for this and the manual is not helpful, unless I'm missing something. Do not like!

Brakes are REALLY GOOD. They are so good your body will move forward with the force of stopping, and it doesn't take much pedal pressure to get there. On the highway, I have been more careful about the amount of pressure when I brake.

Last, I tried Sport Mode last night from a standstill. Holy $hit, this car can be a beast! Seat of the pantsometer says 5 seconds to 60. This car is properly fast. Not CTS-V fast, but fast enough to pucker your butt when you're not expecting that kind of acceleration. In the spring I think I'll take it to the dragstrip just for $hits and giggles.
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Congrats Bob - drove my new TLX off the exact same spot three months ago!

I'll be on the lookout for your fancy-pants ride!
neuronbob (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I do not believe there is an auto lock option (at least not on the PAWS version) when you walk away from the car.
neuronbob (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by miner
I do not believe there is an auto lock option (at least not on the PAWS version) when you walk away from the car.
Boooooooooo.

On the plus side, the little lock button on the door handle works even through gloves, so when it was 12 degrees a few days ago I didn't have to freeze my fingers off just to lock my car. In some ways, that's better than the little knob on the 2G RL that was forever breaking down, or was inactivated by carwashes. Remember that? At least that problem is now fixed.

Auto lock on exiting the car is another convenience that should be added for the 2016 MMC.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:27 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
I'll add another small complaint. While I do understand (but don't like) the fact that you can't set a new destination or make a call to a new phone number from the screen while driving, they have carried it too far with the inability to see the full list of driving directions while en route. You get only the first four or so and can't scroll, as with other lists while moving. But driving directions? It's sometimes difficult to know the exact route the car has put you on without seeing the list of directions.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by fsmith
I'll add another small complaint. While I do understand (but don't like) the fact that you can't set a new destination or make a call to a new phone number from the screen while driving, they have carried it too far with the inability to see the full list of driving directions while en route. You get only the first four or so and can't scroll, as with other lists while moving. But driving directions? It's sometimes difficult to know the exact route the car has put you on without seeing the list of directions.
Yeah, that is a little inconvenient sometimes.

I've got used to scrolling out to the one mile view, and looking for anything that stands out as an unusual routing.

I also frequently use the Menu button to look at the three routes in case I'm missing something neat or scenic. Sometimes I'll reroute to something other than Quick Route, just to be seeing something different.

As far as telephone calls, we are supposed to be able to use voice commands to dial a number by saying, "Call five, four, zero, two seven...." and so on.

It doesn't work very well.

If I had to pick a single worst thing about the entire 5G Legend line of cars it is the voice command system.

For one thing, every command of every menu is not universally available.

Some are, but some are not, and you don't know which will be available where, so you have to get in the habit of being in the correct menu first. You have to be sure you're in Phone, Audio, Info, or NAV before you speak a command resident on that menu.

Please remember that this is relative to already loving the car but, please, it's 2014 and RAM and processors are cheap enough that we should have done a better job with this.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
fsmith (11-25-2014), woropallo (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 07:45 AM
Grandpa

Sometimes it's AcuraLink that saves the day.

You can do whatever you want with AcuraLink while the car is moving, so you can connect and for New Destination just say something like, "O'Hare's Restaurant in Westhampton VA" and it'll repeat it back to be sure it heard it right, and then give you the Quick Route.

If it doesn't understand your accent, then it will connect you to a human.

From the RLX Advance to the RLX Sport Hybrid, I have stepped back to the Connect Package. I used to have the full package but I found that I was using the Concierge only for things that the Agent could have done perfectly well.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Please remember that this is relative to already loving the car but, please, it's 2014 and RAM and processors are cheap enough that we should have done a better job with this.
I agree about the voice system, and also that the commands seem too randomly phrased, with too little syntactic structure, as if they expected us to memorize them all.
neuronbob (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Pro

And why is the entire user interface so slow in this age of cheap RAM and processors? (Complaint tempered with suitable love for the car.)
Old 11-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Grandpa

... as if they expected us to memorize them all.
Exactly. Kind of an old idea in this age of heuristic algorithm.

Both Alex Dykes and Brian Cooley panned the infotainment system a bit because they both expect to be able to sit down, start the car, and say something like, "Navigate to 1239 Main St in Albuquerque, New Mexico."

Evidently there are quite a few cars out there than can do this now, but our top of the line Acura will not do that.

I've watched some of the videos for the TLX Advance, and even that brand new design won't do it.

They really are a little behind the times with this.

The only way that we can have that good a functionality is to subscribe to AcuraLink.

And even then, of course, you have to wait for the cellular connection, wait for AcuraLink to understand you, wait for AcuraLink to repeat it back to you, and then route you.

Just behind the times by one or two years, I think.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:57 AM
Pro

Just behind the times by one or two years, I think.
On the other hand...
I drove a Tesla not long ago (just for kicks because it would have been over 100K and I take too many 400 mile trips to buy an electric) and of course the ride is amazing (though I think the RLXh is a match in aggressive turns). The electronics are state of the art, but the car/fit and finish/seat comfort/driver amenities/controls/etc. of the Tesla come up short, in my opinion. Acura (Honda) is a car company, and it shows in the car part of the car, even if they are behind in the infotainment part of the car.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Grandpa

...the Tesla come up short, in my opinion.
I like the idea behind Tesla, but I do not like the Tesla Model S as a car.

In the first place, a super-sized iPad in the centre stack is not a universal solution for anything.

But there are other design issues.

In the Tesla's price range, especially after you've ticked enough options to make it competitive, you want more seat adjustability. You want more headroom in the back.

You want higher quality leather and better audio.

The idea behind Tesla is a good one...but it's not the same quality as the equivalently priced Lexus.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:48 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Boooooooooo.

On the plus side, the little lock button on the door handle works even through gloves, so when it was 12 degrees a few days ago I didn't have to freeze my fingers off just to lock my car. In some ways, that's better than the little knob on the 2G RL that was forever breaking down, or was inactivated by carwashes. Remember that? At least that problem is now fixed.

Auto lock on exiting the car is another convenience that should be added for the 2016 MMC.
I find it easier to hit the lock button on the inside door panel as I exit the car. It has become second nature and that way you are not standing outside closing the door and then pressing the button on the outside door handle.
neuronbob (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

I agree with the comments on the voice control system. We need a navi lockout control device, as is present on other cars. I'm starting to look for one that would fit our cars.

I will say this: My Cadi's voice control system--it's not CUE-- is completely unusable. It is awful. Even Acura's system is at least usable. Thankfully, the last thing I care about when I'm piloting my 556 hp Beastwagon is voice control, outside of squealing in delight at the acceleration.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I can't comment regarding the voice commands of the RLX, but my experience in my RL is that the voice recognition improves with time. The system may have a learning function that gets used to your voice inflection, intonation, accent etc and learns to better understand your commands over time. Again, just my experience with the RL - I have zero experience with the RLX voice commands.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:30 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
I can't comment regarding the voice commands of the RLX, but my experience in my RL is that the voice recognition improves with time. The system may have a learning function that gets used to your voice inflection, intonation, accent etc and learns to better understand your commands over time. Again, just my experience with the RL - I have zero experience with the RLX voice commands.
I wonder if there is really a learning function in the car audio system or we have a learning function for adjusting to the operation of the voice command system. I have had numerous car with voice command over the years and to date I would not rate any of them exceptional or great. All IMHO were average with some being less than average. Over the years there has been some progress but nothing spectacular.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^The possibility exists that my perception of the voice commands becoming more effective with time is simply a function of my getting accustomed to using them and not the system getting accustomed to my voice. I can say, however, that entering telephone numbers via voice has become MUCH easier/more effective than when I first got the car.

Last edited by hondamore; 11-25-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Grandpa

The only choices for setting the language are Spanish, French and English.

We need to be able to set Piedmont and Tidewater, which are non-rhotic dialects somewhere between Shakespearean and Hard Rap.

:-)

We have no final R's and no final G's.

We have no monosyllables.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Fodder for people who accuse the RLX of looking like a big Accord:
In the physicians' lot at one of my hospitals, on my last call weekend.....luckily, I like the 9G Accord....I almost bought a Sport two years ago.

First mods:

I have the rear mats, as well. I bought splash guards....just need to find time to have them installed at the dealer. I forgot to order a net, so will need to do that as well.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
There is a family resemblance, isn't there? We own a 9G Accord, so I agree with you. Oddly, everyone seems to praise the Accord's styling but when certain characteristics (e.g., C-pillar styling) are shared with the RLX, suddenly the RLX is not attractively styled. I really don't get it.

(Sorry your brand new car is getting an immediate baptism by salt - bottom pic).
Old 11-29-2014, 03:27 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
There is a family resemblance, isn't there? We own a 9G Accord, so I agree with you. Oddly, everyone seems to praise the Accord's styling but when certain characteristics (e.g., C-pillar styling) are shared with the RLX, suddenly the RLX is not attractively styled. I really don't get it.

(Sorry your brand new car is getting an immediate baptism by salt - bottom pic).
The design language works better with the Accord because it is smaller, which makes it look sportier and sexier. While the RLX is not an ugly car, its bland styling just does not cut it for a car in that price point. A large luxury flagship sedan like the RLX should command road presence, and it just does not. Reminds me too much of a Buick LaCrosse. Hopefully a few minor styling tweaks should address this with the 2016 refresh.

Last edited by MisterZDX; 11-29-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:28 AM
Senior Moderator

One month with #00217

Quick message as I'm super-busy today, as I have been all week.

1450 miles on the clock as of this AM (I bought with 278 miles; it was driven from one dealer in another state to my dealer).

No problems with fit/finish, handling, or anything, in fact.

It's a sleeper. It's really fun to drive.

Not very good on the mileage front, however. I've filled up four times now. I admit disappointment about that. Here's my Fuelly:

I admit to a heavy throttle foot. My commute between two hospitals, office, and home is around 40 miles a day. It's around 60% freeway and 40% city. I have found the mileage to be very temperature dependent. When it's very cold, the engine is on much more, to charge the front battery to run the climate control (I suspect). I suspect that is one thing driving mileage down. I suspect this will improve some with warm weather.

At least the mileage is better than in my CTS-V, in which I was consistently around 15 mpg. It's even better than my average with my 2G RL, which was around 19 mpg in the same commute I do now.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Pro

No problems with fit/finish, handling, or anything, in fact.

It's a sleeper. It's really fun to drive.
I'll second that for #339. 1300 miles. Not a single problem.

Mileage 29+ on the highway, about 25-26 in the city, though some segments around town down to 22-23 (I don't have a total average; just going by each fill-up or trip odometer reset).

Have heard the (slight) wind noise from the front windows - though only when driving on a newly paved road with no cars around me. Did I mention how quiet this car is? My dealer has ordered the TSB parts, though I'm not sure if 047 (which is more extensive) supercedes 021 for the Hybrid.

I waited nine years with my '06 RL, and I am still very glad I did. What a car! Yes, it is a big highway cruiser and not a Miata, but it sure drives nice, especially around corners, and especially if you take it up towards - but never near - its limits.
neuronbob (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Grandpa

Have heard the (slight) wind noise from the front windows - though only when driving on a newly paved road with no cars around me. Did I mention how quiet this car is? My dealer has ordered the TSB parts, though I'm not sure if 047 (which is more extensive) supercedes 021 for the Hybrid.
You can tell how quiet the car is supposed to be, so at 70 mph on a good road, the wind noise really stands out.

Your dealer ordered the parts...sounds like he's gone for the newer TSB about the molding. I'd think he'd already have a ready supply of the foamy rubbery stuff necessary for the original TSB.

2700 miles over here, now. 30.8 mpg lifetime average.

I think I'm helped out by how often in my daily driving I can set the ACC and let the car do what it thinks it should do.

There was a time I thought that I would be exceeding the EPA estimate, but now it looks like I'll be right on it.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the picture. Both the RLX and the current accord are great looking cars. I did not like the look of the prior Accord or TL with the "style indent creased line" and think current designs are both fantastic. One interesting trend is how cars lost the default door ding protection from 10 years ago (now an accessory, and it is not a cost issue, but style question) just like they lost spare tires. Having a great looking car while also low key, is a strength. I also like having a lot of glass (and not a smushed look and feel) and both the RLX and accord are nice looking.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
I now have about 1,350 miles on the car. My first 1,000 miles averaged 27.4 MPG. My next 350 miles are at 26.5 MPG. I will be driving down to San Diego, about a 250 mile round trip, next week. The trip is 90% freeway cruising in the carpool lane so I think my mileage will improve. It will also be a good chance to listen for the "wind noise" to see if I need to take it in for the TSB.

So far, most of my driving has been my 25 mile round trip commute to work. For gas mile purposes it is a hybrid of City/Highway. Most of the trip is along Pacific Coast Highway which is a 4 lane route along the ocean. The speed limit is 45 mph and involves approximately 10 traffic lights in a 10 mile stretch.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Bob. You're my hero.
That is really all.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Is it factual the rear electric motors don't power the car beyond 80mph under any circumstance?

I am wondering what this threshold will be on the NSX.

Could that impact mpg if going above 80mph (lugging the weight) for example 81mph vs 70mph?

At what mpg level would you consider raising the mpg issue with the dealer. Maybe there is a tweak or tune.

Last edited by flagship; 12-05-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by flagship
Is it factual the rear electric motors don't power the car beyond 80mph under any circumstance?

I am wondering what this threshold will be on the NSX.

Could that impact mpg if going above 80mph (lugging the weight) for example 81mph vs 70mph?

At what mpg level would you consider raising the mpg issue with the dealer. Maybe there is a tweak or tune.
As someone whose cruising speed on the freeway is 75-80 mpg, the function of the electric motors is consequential.

Here's how it works (via Road and Track):

Originally Posted by Road and Track
Part of the beauty of the system is that the motors are fairly small, made possible by gearing them down. A planetary gearset couples the motors to their
respective wheels at a 10.38:1 ratio. The problem with that is that at about 78 mph, as the motors reach 11,000 rpm, they begin to produce too much voltage
for the electric systems to handle reliably.

The solution is to decouple the motors from the rear wheels at high speeds—which is also a boon to efficiency. (And let's be honest—you don't actually
need four-wheel drive at high speeds. If you're spinning your front wheels at 80 mph, you may as well start dialing 9-1-1.)

Decoupling the motors from their wheels, though, would eliminate the SH-AWD's system from performing torque-vectoring—and that would change the RLX's
cornering behavior dramatically. The solution is to remove the motors' ability to assist or regen (and thus slow their rotational speeds) but not remove
their ability to remove torque from one side and add it to the other.

And that's where things get crazy. The TMU's two motors operate on a single planetary gearset with a single ring gear that's held in place by an
electrohydraulic clutch. Each motor's torque enters through its own carrier gear, is multiplied, and then heads to the axle via that side's sun gear.

At 78 mph, the clutch releases, allowing the ring gear to spin. However, thanks to the miracle of planetary gears, if the motors exert different levels of
torque on their respective carrier gears, they experience equal and opposite forces. Meaning the system can transfer torque from one side to the
other—albeit only in equal measures. Key point: torque-vectoring is still possible.
COOOOOOOOOOOL!

As for when to mention low mileage to the dealer....not sure. When I look at individual trips, the mileage varies from 20 mpg to 30 mpg. I'm getting 28-30 mpg in rush hour traffic, in which the flow of traffic is not more than 60 mph. In non-rush hour traffic, when the flow of traffic is 70+ mph, I am usually at 75 mph, pushing to 80 mph. Mileage at that point drops to 23-24mpg.

Then there are the really cold days, when I'm running the car as I'm scraping the windows as needed, and the winter blend. Further, as noted above, the gas motor is on more, even when the car is just idling, to maintain HVAC.

Most of you other hybrid owners are in warm territory. In my case, immediately upon delivery of the car, November weather turned into January weather.

So a number of things is adversely affecting mileage. I suppose I could just try not driving faster than 70 mph and see how much that affects mileage.

For now, however......I'm driving it the same way I drive my CTS-V......as if I don't GAF about gas.

Edit: BTW, can anyone tell if VCM is working? I don't feel or hear a difference. I do notice that at 75-80nmph, engine speed is pegged at 2100 rpm, a bit more than I'd expect for a V6 engine. Is that when it's running on 3 cylinders?

Last edited by neuronbob; 12-05-2014 at 08:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
Legend2TL (12-09-2014), pac1999 (10-03-2015)
Old 12-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Pro

Your dealer ordered the parts...sounds like he's gone for the newer TSB about the molding. I'd think he'd already have a ready supply of the foamy rubbery stuff necessary for the original TSB.
Yes. They ordered the materials for the 047 TSB so they could have both it and the stuff for the 021 TSB, because they were not certain that the 021 TSB applied to the Sport Hybrid (it's ambiguous because it came out before the SH-AWD was released). So they will either do just the 047 or both. once they have the car. The 047 is a much lengthier repair.

And I agree with George about the quietness of the car vs. the wind noise, which I don't think I would have heard in my '06 RL, which I thought was pretty quiet.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Pro

COOOOOOOOOOOL
Is it ever!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've always seen at least a 10% reduction in mileage of my RL during cold winter months. Likely a combination of factors mentioned by Neuronbob, but my suspicion is that the winter blend gas is the main culprit.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
Mileage at 1200 miles.

Pure Hwy=650 miles=32 mpg
Mixed Hwy=200 miles=26 mpg
Mixed city=250 miles=21 mpg

Averaging about 26 to date.

More importantly the city is about 5mpg better than last car.

The 26 is comparable to a HiHy over 90,000 miles.
neuronbob (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
It seems rare that a Honda or Acura product does not meet the EPA ratings it was benchmarked. My experience is I usually exceed them.

Although those numbers would not prevent me from buying a Sport Hybrid RLX, it seems disappointing they are that far off the lower threshold of 28mpg. In the mind of most consumers, especially below Tier 1, they expect a more significant improvement from a 'hybrid'. Granted the Sport component of this hybrid justifies not making 40+ mph but not making the EPA rating can sour the perception.

Interestingly there are so few SH RLXs at this point that the sampling may be ineffective to charge Honda with under delivering or taint the non existent public perception of this car.

If there is a 2016 revision around the door, I will be looking for either revised EPA numbers assigned to the Sport Hybrid or read of performance changes that permit the EPA numbers to be achieved.

Either direction is not great IMHO. One is under delivering the EPA benchmark watering down the Hybrid component the other likely lessens / slows the car eroding the Sport component.

Hopefully they are locked away as we speak working on both.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
the city and combined look way lower than expected
Old 12-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Zoomer's forum name suggests that his right foot is a bit heavier than normal. As he mentioned, his Sport Hybrid is getting significantly better mileage than his previous car and that is the pertinent information.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
Zoomer's forum name suggests that his right foot is a bit heavier than normal. As he mentioned, his Sport Hybrid is getting significantly better mileage than his previous car and that is the pertinent information.
Ouch that hurts ! Guilty as charged but I promise I am doing better on the 5 step plan!!!

Quick Reply: Beta tester, I mean, new owner of #00217 checking in