Beta tester, I mean, new owner of #00217 checking in

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 07:38 AM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Yes, that is 1 of my pet peeves. I do not understand why the advance trim has 2 unused buttons by the steering wheel: Acura's flagship top-of-the-line model should have everything Acura has available. I will say that 1 of those is for headlight washers - which we in the US do not get. Not sure what the other is for. I wish Acura would redesign that some how, like maybe space out the buttons on the lower trim so it is not obvious you are missing a feature & have a useless place holder there. I do, however, see this on many other luxury cars so it is the norm.

It does look much worse on the lower trims where there are 4 unassigned buttons:

Back when I was vehicle shopping, this 1 of the pluses that the MDX had over the RLX - all the buttons were for a purpose:

What is missing in this photos:

Parking Sensor

CMBS

Headlight Washer (CANADA ONLY)

Photon Torpedoes (=Custom Built)

Also=to the top left of the rows above center knob Canadians get a camera button for the surround video.

Enjoy
Old 11-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Congrats Bob,Now get the Dealer badge off the boot lid!
+256 - That graffiti looks terrible. The rest of the car is fantastic.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Also=to the top left of the rows above center knob Canadians get a camera button for the surround video.
When I read about the cameras in the manual, I was intrigued. But I still don't know how they work.

I can imagine that they'd be of some help with parallel parking, but it seems to me you'd want the camera to be able to look backwards and to the side as well as forwards.

That would cover territory that the rear trunk camera does not see.

Kind of an odd setup and I can't help thinking that they're waiting to read what drivers are saying about it to know how to change the system for future cars.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Euro RLs had a "snow" mode which filled one of the blank buttons in the USDM RL.

, bob! I'm jelly.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
^^It is an ongoing mystery to me why Acura would not put all available technology in their flagship. In this case, the engineering and testing had been done to add the "snow mode" to the RL in Europe, yet they chose NOT to put this feature into the NA RL????

I am of the opinion that much of the cost of this type of new feature is in the development, coding and testing but actually installing it into the vehicles that are already engineered to accept it would entail adding a relatively inexpensive switch and a sensor and a quick software update. I know that Acura likes to hold back some little electronic goodies to add to subsequent model years so it looks like they are always improving, but I think that they have to look at each feature as another way to entice people to buy the car and load them up with all the features they have available. It is possible that a dedicated "snow" mode could have helped DOUBLE the RL sales in Canada in the later model years ( from 20 a year to 40 J/K). I agree with others that blank covers tend to detract from the RLX's position as the flagship sedan for Acura and they simply scream that "additional/better features are out there or coming soon but you don't have them".

Last edited by hondamore; 11-07-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Snow Mode - Sports Hybrid

There is a "snow mode" built into the Sports Hybrid "Power Distribution System". Watch the Day 8 video that George posted. It demonstrates the snow mode as applying pulses of power to alternating wheels. A link to what George posted is below.

On the Hybrid there is no need for an additional button, it just happens automatically.

RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® Power Distribution Display
The following 4 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
George Knighton (11-07-2014), hondamore (11-07-2014), neuronbob (11-07-2014), oo7spy (11-12-2014)
Old 11-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I like how the current Acura key fobs have some heft to them. Before you ask "where'd you get that AZ cool swag?", it was a gift to the mods (we are unpaid but love our jobs). Now I have use for it.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Nope. I used it as a cap reduction for my lease. I bought the beater Pilot as a stopgap as I seriously needed an AWD vehicle this winter, and I thought the Sport Hybrid was still vaporware at the time I bought. This car, given AWD, will be my winter transportation and will share daily driver with the CTS-V wagon. I will still drive my CTS-V wagon on nice days during the winter, and it will still be my road trip car.

That's how it starts....with the test drive. I tried really hard to be disappointed with something, but failed. You can see the result.

I'm trying to optimize the ACC/CMBS/LKAS settings. The hardest part for me is keeping off the brake pedal, which of course shuts off the cruise setting, until you choose speed again. Still reading through that part of the owner's manual.

PS--my little light is green. I have to figure out how to configure AcuraLink.
You will get use to it, and trust that it works. My wife get nervous when she in the car and I use the features. But to date they work great from following and stopping with ACC to driving the car down the highway by itself using ACC and LKAS.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:54 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
^^It is an ongoing mystery to me why Acura would not put all available technology in their flagship. In this case, the engineering and testing had been done to add the "snow mode" to the RL in Europe, yet they chose NOT to put this feature into the NA RL????

I am of the opinion that much of the cost of this type of new feature is in the development, coding and testing but actually installing it into the vehicles that are already engineered to accept it would entail adding a relatively inexpensive switch and a sensor and a quick software update. I know that Acura likes to hold back some little electronic goodies to add to subsequent model years so it looks like they are always improving, but I think that they have to look at each feature as another way to entice people to buy the car and load them up with all the features they have available. It is possible that a dedicated "snow" mode could have helped DOUBLE the RL sales in Canada in the later model years ( from 20 a year to 40 J/K). I agree with others that blank covers tend to detract from the RLX's position as the flagship sedan for Acura and they simply scream that "additional/better features are out there or coming soon but you don't have them".
You are probably correct abou holding back features. My 2015 RLX Advance has a heated steering wheel where the 2014 does not.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:49 AM
Grandpa

I like how the current Acura key fobs have some heft to them.
Am I crazy, or is the Sport Hybrid key fob smaller than the 2014 RLX key fob?

Am I remembering it wrong?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:50 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by woropallo
You are probably correct abou holding back features. My 2015 RLX Advance has a heated steering wheel ....
:-)

That gives you a measure of bragging rights in the US Domestic Market!
Old 11-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
Ha ha ha ha ha.....

Isn't that annoying? You're not sure what's supposed to be there, but you *want* it!

Flux Capacitor and transform to NSX
The following 2 users liked this post by flagship:
George Knighton (11-08-2014), neuronbob (11-08-2014)
Old 11-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by flagship
Flux Capacitor and transform to NSX
Old 11-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Bob
Old 11-08-2014, 08:12 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Congrats again Bob! That interior is very sharp.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
There is a "snow mode" built into the Sports Hybrid "Power Distribution System". Watch the Day 8 video that George posted. It demonstrates the snow mode as applying pulses of power to alternating wheels. A link to what George posted is below.

On the Hybrid there is no need for an additional button, it just happens automatically.

RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® Power Distribution Display
Very nice=love AutoMAGIC!
Old 11-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Congrats Bob, I am sure you will agree this is a very different car than the PAWS RLX. Hopefully enough of your RL memory will permit some comparisons.
The drivetrain, suspension, SH-AWD and the HUD are definitely different and I bet add even more to an already extraordinary driving experience, otherwise the technology and operations of all the advanced features are the same as the PAWS RLX. CMBS/LKAS/ACC/NAV/etc. etc. are identical.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Am I crazy, or is the Sport Hybrid key fob smaller than the 2014 RLX key fob?

Am I remembering it wrong?
Nope, it's exactly the same...you're just crazy

The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
Acura_Dude (11-15-2014), Curious3GTL (11-15-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore

I think it is all about back end cost. The BOM is cheaper and the risk of failure with warranty replacement is lower without those fetures. In addition, Acura does not have the brand prowess that Americans desire. They are already pushing the boundaries of what an American will pay for a Honda.

The R&D investment will be returned on other models that receive the technology. The RL and RLX were never intended to be ROI projects as acknowledged by Acura before the RLX hit floors. They have always been the test mules for the latest and greatest technology that will live on through other models.

I don't disagree with the grumblings here. I have always been offended that Canadians can get ventilated seats in an RL while a Texan can't. That is absurd IMO, but then again, I am not a part of Acura's marketing department, so who knows what is and isn't "absurd".
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
It certainly does seem as though Acura has capitulated on RLX sales and thus my "load it up with everything they have and sell them as cheap as they can to grow to model awareness" plan seems only a dream. Pity because it is such a great car and if they got a few thousand of them on the road, word of mouth alone would grow the brand's image and interest in the Sport Hybrid technology before it hits volume sellers like the MDX.
The following 4 users liked this post by hondamore:
2011TL (11-14-2014), acuranj18 (11-12-2014), neuronbob (11-12-2014), oo7spy (11-12-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Winter bunkmates.

The following 7 users liked this post by neuronbob:
Acura_Dude (11-15-2014), Colin (11-14-2014), GoHawks (11-14-2014), holografique (11-20-2014), KaMLuNg (11-18-2014), NBP04TL4ME (11-14-2014), TSX69 (11-14-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Old 11-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Pro

Winter bunkmates.
]
I am interested in your thoughts about winter driving on slippery roads. As the storms come off the Great Lakes, let us know how the RLXh handles in the snow and ice.

I won't get any winter conditions to try out my car until late Jan or Feb when I head to the mountains for skiing -- that is assuming the West Coast's severe drought finally ends.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I am interested in your thoughts about winter driving on slippery roads. As the storms come off the Great Lakes, let us know how the RLXh handles in the snow and ice.

I won't get any winter conditions to try out my car until late Jan or Feb when I head to the mountains for skiing -- that is assuming the West Coast's severe drought finally ends.
Funny you mention that! I recorded video and took a few pix early this morning, making a thread of just that.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Winter bunkmates.

Bob, have your ever heard of shelves, cabinets or wall hangers?
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
Acura_Dude (11-15-2014), Curious3GTL (11-15-2014), neuronbob (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
^^^^ Tool box, air compressor....
Old 11-15-2014, 09:48 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
I love your car.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Scattered thoughts after almost two weeks with the Sport Hybrid

Just some scattered thoughts from notes I've been taking over the last almost two weeks with the Sport Hybrid, in no particular order.

Handling: The biggest difference in handling between the eSH-AWD and the traditional SH-AWD of the old RL is the addition of torque vectoring in the curves either on OR off throttle. In the old RL, one only had torque vectoring when on the throttle. The new system increases stability in the turns better than the old RL. You just point this car and it goes where you want it to, with no noise, muss, or fuss.

I mentioned the turning radius in another thread. It is similar to the old RL, that is to say, abysmal. It takes a J-turn to turn around on a small street, when that is not the case even in my wife's Pilot. You really have to plan well ahead for parking in a store parking lot. I just park far away from other cars so I don't have to maneuver too closely to others. Thankfully, we have FRONT and rear sensors that are helpful with parking maneuvers.

Acceleration. This is a FAST car. I mean, really fast. It's not CTS-V fast, but plenty fast for most people and it gets out of its own way on the highway. You really don't feel it because it is so quiet. I have not tried Sport Mode yet, as I'm still trying to get to know the car. Even not in sport mode, this car is probably faster than my S2000 in a straight line launch. I'll try measuring a 0-60 when break-in is over.

Fuel economy. For the car's lifetime with me, it is 23.1 mpg. I filled it up for the first time a couple of days ago and have already driven 160 miles on the current tank. I've had only two extended freeway trips (20 miles + each) in that period. Most of the current tank was in inclement weather and in stop-go traffic during the week. The current tank is 22.9 mpg so far. I'm sure that will improve as the engine is broken in (I'm now over 700 miles on the odo as of this AM), when warm weather returns, and when we are not using winter blend fuel. It's a reminder that one does not obtain this car necessarily to save fuel, but for the performance. I must admit, however, that like some reviewers, I was expecting better mileage without much effort, as noted on other recent Honda/Acura products. A little disappointed on this front.

Jewel Eye rocks. Nice, clean, blue light at night. It really does a great job of illuminating the road. Dare I say, it's better than HID lamps?

ACC/Low-speed follow-through/LKAS (applies to PAWS RLX as well). I tried this on my commute several times last week. I finally trust the system. It is really neat how the car accelerates and decelerates in heavy traffic, and even handles some light turns by itself. Overall, the system works quite well. In stop-go traffic, the car stops by itself with no trouble, then accelerates again with equal lack of difficulty, back to the speed you set. Makes for an easier commute. Of course for those who don't like their cars to drive themselves, all of the features can be turned off. I am sold on the feature, even though I love the physical act of driving. It's most useful when I am not cognitively 100% at the end of a long day (I typically work 10-12 hours a day).

DCT Smooth. Sharp, crisp, rapid shifts without bucking. Transmission doesn't seem to hunt much. I don't bother with the paddles because the transmission shifts so well so far. More notes on that in future.

Infotainment (applies to PAWS RLX as well): The two-screen thing is a bit superfluous, IMO, but is simple. As long as you remember that the bottom screen is for audio selection and climate control, and the top screen and jog dial are for everything else, you have a good start.

The upper screen UI is clunky, as others have noticed. The way I notice this the most is that when I'm listening to a channel on XM and I want to go to the next consecutive channel using the jog wheel, hilarity ensues: I get to the list of channels and I can use the dial to increase channel number, but if I want to decrease the channel number, I can't. The work around for this is scrolling down through all the channels, then the list restarts at channel 1 and you are eventually able to reach the next channel down. WTF? This is only ONE example of the clunkiness. The system needs a re-write and made available to us via an upgrade.

Climate control is super-easy to operate. Then again, I usually set it to "auto" and it works fine for me.

Once the audio controls on the lower screen are programmed, it's quite easy to use.

Break-in. There is not a single word in the owner's manual about engine or brake break-in. I thought that was really odd. Any comments from anyone in the know? My plan is to take it easy on the engine until 1000 miles, then Sport Mode time!

----
The most important feature of this car is what I like the best: the handling. This is a fun car to drive! Enjoying the heck out of it. BTW, in dark colors, this car is so handsome. I know the look is a snoozer to some, but I like it. More to come.....

Last edited by neuronbob; 11-16-2014 at 06:30 AM.
The following 9 users liked this post by neuronbob:
2011TL (11-16-2014), a35tl (11-16-2014), acuranj18 (11-16-2014), crxb (11-16-2014), George Knighton (11-16-2014), hadokenuh (11-17-2014), hondamore (11-16-2014), JM2010 SH-AWD (11-16-2014), wstr75 (11-16-2014) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-16-2014, 06:43 AM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 146 Posts
Bob-keep the updates coming, enjoy reading your impressions and experiences as well as those other members who own the car.

The RLX is a classy, understated car and like most Acura/Honda products will look good years to come.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Grandpa

Thank you so much for taking the time to type so much.

My own experiences mirror yours almost completely. :-)

Acceleration. [...] I'll try measuring a 0-60 when break-in is over.
You and Zoommer both said you want to test 0-60 on your own, and this prompts me to remind everyone that first gear is not selected unless you force the car into first.

Fuel economy. For the car's lifetime with me, it is 23.1 mpg.
0_o I am very disappointed, too, at the fuel economy that you all seem to be getting!

With 1750 miles on my car I am at 31.2 mpg average!

Jewel Eye rocks. Nice, clean, blue light at night. It really does a great job of illuminating the road. Dare I say, it's better than HID lamps?
They are absolutely better than most HID, and they did a good job of how the individual bulbs are aimed, and this keeps you wondering about things that add expense and weight by having to aim the lights as you turn the wheel.

ACC/Low-speed follow-through/LKAS ... I am sold on the feature, even though I love the physical act of driving.
Same here! Exactly!

It's most useful when I am not cognitively 100% at the end of a long day (I typically work 10-12 hours a day).
Same here. I get home in the evenings feeling much, much better than I used to feel.

My single concern is how the car waits sometimes until it is sure what the car ahead is really doing. Although it works 100% of the time, the car can alarm a passenger who is not accustomed to the process. It brakes a little late, which causes it to brake a little harder than a human would under the same circumstances.

DCT ... I don't bother with the paddles because the transmission shifts so well so far.
I don't bother with the paddles because they are very small and mounted on the steering wheel.

When I need them the most, it is when I am shuffle steering up or down a mountain, and I just can't find them. Luckily, in Sport Mode the car does a great job with the downshifts and keeping you on the torque band.

I do not like Ferraris very much, but this is one thing that they do right. Their paddles are very big and hard to miss, and they are mounted on the steering column so that their positions remain static when you are shuffle steering.

Infotainment The way I notice this the most is that when I'm listening to a channel on XM and I want to go to the next consecutive channel using the jog wheel, hilarity ensues: I get to the list of channels and I can use the dial to increase channel number, but if I want to decrease the channel number, I can't.
Voice controls. :-) If you know where you want to go, try saying something like, "XM Channel one-one-eight."

Break-in. There is not a single word in the owner's manual about engine or brake break-in. I thought that was really odd.
They ask you not to abuse the brakes or the gasoline motor for the first few hundred miles. I think I saw "600 miles" in the big manual somewhere.

But as far as oil changes and other maintenance, just do what the car's meter tells you to do. :-)

BTW, in dark colors, this car is so handsome. I know the look is a snoozer to some, but I like it.
Believe me, I'd have preferred not to have a white car. It's what I could get because it's what they sent my dealer!

In the world of management and governance, old men who voluntarily drive white cars have a reputation for being...well, let's call it a little difficult.

I wouldn't have chosen white if I had a choice, but maybe in the end I'll find it to my advantage that experienced personnel whom I have never met before are treating me with kid gloves until they know me better.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^^
I was looking for something else in the manual about shifting, and ran into the break-in information. It wasn't called "break-in", however. You beat me to the correct answer. Page 370 indicates the standard advice to accelerate variably for the first 600 miles and brake gently for the first 200. That means initial break-in is done for me. Going to play with Sport Mode a bit today.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Grandpa

Going to play with Sport Mode a bit today.
Uh oh!! :-)
Old 11-16-2014, 07:26 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Pens Fan
Bob-keep the updates coming, enjoy reading your impressions and experiences as well as those other members who own the car.
The RLX is a classy, understated car and like most Acura/Honda products will look good years to come.
I second that. Please keep the updates coming. The RLXh is a true unicorn and I am sure engineers in Japan are paying close attention to what you guys write here. I don't know if they are giggling with joy but you never know...

PS. My local dealer has the ugliest color combination RLXh they could get. Pomegranate Pearl with Seacoast Milano Leather... sadly all former African dictator's wives have packed and left town

Last edited by Tonyware; 11-16-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:52 PM
Racer

Thank you so much for taking the time to type so much.

Thank you indeed.

My own experiences mirror yours almost completely. :-)

Ditto...must be a good thing

You and Zoommer both said you want to test 0-60 on your own, and this prompts me to remind everyone that first gear is not selected unless you force the car into first.

Still on travel but will test upon return. Did remember that it starts in second. A lot of TQ.

0_o I am very disappointed, too, at the fuel economy that you all seem to be getting!

With 1750 miles on my car I am at 31.2 mpg average!

Posted elsewhere=combined about 28. Hwy=close to 32. City=close to 25. Have 1100 on car. My foot falls asleep in the horizontal position a lot.

They are absolutely better than most HID, and they did a good job of how the individual bulbs are aimed, and this keeps you wondering about things that add expense and weight by having to aim the lights as you turn the wheel.

Same here! Exactly!

One of the best features of this car. Bright as daylight and perfectly tuned. I absolutely love the Jeweled lights. Also, the reaction from people when I flight the lights is instantaneous.

Same here. I get home in the evenings feeling much, much better than I used to feel.

One less thing to worry about=distracted drivers around you.

My single concern is how the car waits sometimes until it is sure what the car ahead is really doing. Although it works 100% of the time, the car can alarm a passenger who is not accustomed to the process. It brakes a little late, which causes it to brake a little harder than a human would under the same circumstances.

Did experience this a few times. INCLUDING that the car would not get next to a truck and braked to stay behind it. Wow....ticked me off but the rest of the crew in the car was giddy with joy. I guess the car picked up the truck trailer swaying and slowed down.

I don't bother with the paddles because they are very small and mounted on the steering wheel.

When I need them the most, it is when I am shuffle steering up or down a mountain, and I just can't find them. Luckily, in Sport Mode the car does a great job with the downshifts and keeping you on the torque band.

I do not like Ferraris very much, but this is one thing that they do right. Their paddles are very big and hard to miss, and they are mounted on the steering column so that their positions remain static when you are shuffle steering.

Voice controls. :-) If you know where you want to go, try saying something like, "XM Channel one-one-eight."

This is still my most frustrating part of the car....not sure if it is me or the car's voice recognition system...

They ask you not to abuse the brakes or the gasoline motor for the first few hundred miles. I think I saw "600 miles" in the big manual somewhere.

But as far as oil changes and other maintenance, just do what the car's meter tells you to do. :-)

yes....very well connected car...

Believe me, I'd have preferred not to have a white car. It's what I could get because it's what they sent my dealer!

In the world of management and governance, old men who voluntarily drive white cars have a reputation for being...well, let's call it a little difficult.

Lucky....I got the car color I wanted...Forged Silver Metallic...

I wouldn't have chosen white if I had a choice, but maybe in the end I'll find it to my advantage that experienced personnel whom I have never met before are treating me with kid gloves until they know me better.

Looking forward to driving it again soon...
Old 11-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Grandpa

We haven't heard from Neuronbob since he went to play with Sport Mode.

0_o
Old 11-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

As it turns out, I didn't get to play with Sport Mode yesterday....then we got more snow last night and this morning. I did observe fuel economy today, though. My commute was in three parts today: 12 miles to my son's school, then 22 miles to downtown Cleveland in very heavy traffic, then another almost 15 miles back from downtown to my main office in moderate traffic.

Commute part 2 (ignore the 4.2 mpg, that was just 45 seconds spent pulling forward in line to drop my son off at school). At times, I was at 31 mpg:

Commute part 3:

Feeling better about the mileage now. It will likely average out as I put more miles on the car.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:21 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
^ reminding... during the winter months all gas companies switch to winter blends that don't give optimal mileage. So that extra couple of miles may be gained back between spring to fall again.
hondamore (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^ Yup, I commented on winter blend earlier. I was really worried about the mileage initially, but really the first two tanks are not an indicator for an issue.

On another note, for all of you in areas where the temperature regularly falls below freezing, the engine warms up pretty quickly. The outside temperature this morning was 12 deg F (that's -11 deg C for our Canadian friends). I started the car and "warmed it up" for 30 seconds, long enough for fluids to circulate in the engine, then set off. By the time I had travelled about two miles, the engine was fully warmed--that is, the little blue light went off. The interior of the car warms up reasonably quickly in this temperature range.

I suspect this experience is not significantly different from the experience of our friends with PAWS RLXs.

Last edited by neuronbob; 11-18-2014 at 09:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
George Knighton (11-18-2014), hondamore (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
great ride bob... when my daily GS goes, i'm def going to get one of these!!!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Pro

On another note, for all of you in areas where the temperature regularly falls below freezing, the engine warms up pretty quickly. The outside temperature this morning was 12 deg F (that's -11 deg C for our Canadian friends). I started the car and "warmed it up" for 30 seconds, long enough for fluids to circulate in the engine, then set off. By the time I had travelled about two miles, the engine was fully warmed--that is, the little blue light went off. The interior of the car warms up reasonably quickly in this temperature range.

I suspect this experience is not significantly different from the experience of our friends with PAWS RLXs.
The little blue light comes on every time I start the car. I'm in Southern California where a cold morning is classified as anything below the mid 50s. During the day with the temperature in the high 60s the blue light comes on and stays on for 5 minutes before going out. It has seemed strange to me. I don't think I have had to use the heat yet at all but every time I start the car the blue light is on [unless I have just driven the car].
pac1999 (10-03-2015)

Quick Reply: Beta tester, I mean, new owner of #00217 checking in