Acura needs to offer more options/accessories for it's customers

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Acura needs to offer more options/accessories for it's customers

So I'm starting to see where Acura is dropping the ball on giving it's customers more options to customize their vehicles with OEM products.

When I saw the TLX prototype and saw the rims on that vehicle, I thought, "wow, now those are nice!". But figured it was a very exclusive one-off for the prototype.

Then I noticed that the RLX prototype also had some very distinctive rims with it as well.

But now I come across this for the ILX:

Again, some really slick rims! Not to mention the ILX looks MUCH more of the car it should be with 18" rims to attract entry level buyers to the brand.

Now...this begs the question: why isn't Acura offering these as add-on options for existing owners to customize their vehicles with OEM products? I go to some of the other brands, and one of them in particular has an entire webpage dedicated to the various types of OEM rims you can buy for their cars allowing an easy path they can trust with confidence to upgrade and customize their vehicles as they like. Why isn't Acura taking advantage of this type of additional "value-add" and to enhance the customer "experience" with their product lines? You would this this is a no-brainer.

I understand Acura is trying to do something unique with creating low-noise rim design, but so far that's only made it's way into the RLX. And there are customers who are going to be ok sacrificing the low noise for looks.

Options....this is another Acura could use some improvements.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
My guess is you'll see these changes in a mid-cycle refresh. That is usually how most manufacturers do it, they need to hold some stuff back to keep customers coming in the door.

I agree its silly, for example why does the MDX have a heated steering wheel available but not the RLX....strange.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CFoote
My guess is you'll see these changes in a mid-cycle refresh. That is usually how most manufacturers do it, they need to hold some stuff back to keep customers coming in the door.

I agree its silly, for example why does the MDX have a heated steering wheel available but not the RLX....strange.
yes! or why does the RDX have automatic trunk doors but not the RLX....

consistency Acura, consistency...
Old 04-08-2014, 06:18 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Acura should have offered individual package options on all Acura vehicles, and not fixed-equipment-level trim models.

As of now, any Acura buyers who want only the "ventilation seats" have to force themselves to spend an-arm-and-a-leg to buy the most expensive top-of-the-line trim models, loaded with some useless features that they don't want/need but add to the overall price of the vehicle.

This is where the European luxury automakers have the edge over the upscale Acura brand.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
In manufacturing, customization costs. If a manufacturer offers more options, then they will have to pass the costs of those options to the customer. That's why some German manufacturers charge through the nose for metallic paint or leather seats.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I am one of those rare people who likes Acura packages. They make more sense than the Honda packages for sure. They give you a lot for your money instead of nickeling and diming you like the German makes do.
The following users liked this post:
cincinnatikid (04-10-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Content packaging is what gives Acura ability to offer value. Start checking those boxes on a European brand, or Lexus and you will leapfrog the similarly equipped Acura.

Where I disagree with Acura models is the RLX has too many trim levels for a low volume car and limited color combos based on trim level and you basically have to order and wait or buy the 'color of the month' that seems to cycle to dealers. Why oh why the base model even lives is a farce to claim a lower entry price. Why not just Navi, Tech and Advance....period. I'd settle to combine the Navi & Tech trim further.

I also find some of the packaging not well suited to the market....such as the Canadian RL got cooled seats and I got heated in Florida.

When I did the SH RLX drive last month, the Torrance rep was pointing out the 'slightly' smaller trunk and no pass through to the dealers. When I asked if Acura was going to offer a modified trunk mat or trunk tray for the SH RLX, the response I got was

Packaging can offer economy and value but the 'one size fits all' approach with call out critics. Who wins?
Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

You guys are all missing my point. This is not a discussion about the "packages". This is strictly about the lack of accessories that Acura offers for it's existing car owners to want to do more with their vehicle. In this case, with specialized rims being an accessory, not a package option.

I have money to spend and want to customize my car, but don't want to do it with 3rd party non OEM stuff. "Value" can become worthless when you have customers out there willing to buy more of your products but you don't give them an outlet for it because you're too focused on offering "value". How about those of us who can afford to spend more to get an extra touch, or a little something extra for our existing product. That is the problem I'm talking about. Acura simply doesn't give me much of anything more to do with my RLX. Heck, there are more options for the MDX and TL than there are for their flag-ship sedan. That's the inconsistency I'm talking about.

As for ticking options, sure they add up, but that's why they are called options. You choose, not forced or required. I like the "packages" and "trims" that Acura creates, but they should at least also provide those customers who want more customization to pick and choose as they like.

In manufacturing, customization costs. If a manufacturer offers more options, then they will have to pass the costs of those options to the customer. That's why some German manufacturers charge through the nose for metallic paint or leather seats.
Sure, and that's why some of those German companies are killing it. Again, I'm not talking about customizations to the trims. I'm talking about offering more "accessories". Do you really think it costs that much more to manufacture another set or two of different rims to give their customers "options"? If it does, then add the margin to cover the costs, and those customers who want the extra touch will pay for it. I can almost guarantee they will have buyers. Especially with how rabid some of the enthusiasts around here are regarding rims being such a focal point of the look and feel of their car.

The way I see it, if you focus too much on "value", you end up missing out on creating additional revenue streams through add-on products and accessories. The other problem becomes economy of scales. If BMW can have an entire page full of over half-a-dozen rim options for their customers (which btw is completely separate from buying or building one of their cars), then I think it's clear proof that if you offer well design and quality accessories, your customers are going to buy them. Can they do it cheaper than Acura? Maybe? Maybe because they have the ability to produce those things at a lower cost point because of economies of scale. More buyers, more units produced, less cost per unit.

Last edited by holografique; 04-08-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Acura could possibly attract a younger buyer to the RLX with an OEM A-spec trim kit with a lower front spoiler etc. or optional "funkier" Acura wheels or even optional accessory chrome exhaust tips. Some of the "edgier" stuff that we see on the prototypes making the rounds on the car show circuit before the production version appears might make marketable future accessories.

The aftermarket retailers are making a killing on a lot of this stuff, so why not profit from it and let the customer keep their factory warranty while they personalize their car.

It could be that a low-volume, conservatively styled vehicle like the RLX isn't a great place to try making additional accessories, but the TLX should fit the bill.

Last edited by hondamore; 04-09-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Good points. I think that Acura should at least consider that there are going to be higher end buyers like me, who aren't necessarily fitting into their 50yr old+ demographic for the RLX and would like to be able to customize our vehicle with just a little bit of spice, not much, but just a little something, but still carrying the Acura design fundamentals to it. Not to mention there are also going to be older customers that still like to live it up!

I like how some of the other brands at least still offer "sport" trims or "sport" options for their higher end vehicles. M series (or the M series styling options) comes first to mind. I really like the M series "styling" options for the 5 and 7 series that BMW offers because it gives the buyer the option to make their car at least look sportier, but arent necessarily interested in paying the premium for the actual engine/suspension changes, nor are they really looking for the added performance. That's the type of options I'm talking about here.