2015 RLX SH Elite two week review

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
2015 RLX SH Elite two week review

Two weeks ago today I picked up my 2015 RLX SH Elite and I thought I would share my initial thoughts about the vehicle in comparison to my previous vehicle (early build 2014 RLX P-AWS Elite).

As much as I enjoyed the features of the P-AWS, I did experience issues isolated to my vehicle and I wasn't comfortable in keeping it beyond the soon to be expiring warranty. At the surface, the car had everything I wanted, but it was missing a few things as well - having come from a 2012 TL SH-AWD Elite. Most importantly for me, the TL had that 'stapled' feeling to the road with SH-AWD, and the P-AWS being a larger vehicle did not share those driving characteristics. By comparison, the RLX felt very loose and it just wasn't a spirited drive. I also didn't like the suspension/ride, as others have commonly documented.

So against the warning of others on this forum, I decided to go and test drive a low mileage 2015 SH which had just come in from Honda Canada (executive driven). Fortunately for me, it had not yet been posted on their website or on AutoTrader. I had done a fair bit of reading on this site to try and drill down what I could expect to see/feel as the differences between the P-AWS and the SH. Let's just say the test drive didn't disappoint. I took the car for an hour long drive, mostly on country roads, and mostly in Sport mode - and I simply didn't want to go back to the dealership.

Although not quite as 'stapled' as the TL (understandable for a larger car), the handling dynamics far exceeded the P-AWS, and in Sport mode, the car is lunatic. I would giggle like a schoolgirl each time the SH downshifted like an F1 race car to regenerate the battery. I then found a dead straight country road with no crossroads or driveways and came to a stop. I engaged brake hold and paddle shifted down to M1 - and then mashed on the gas like I was putting out a cigarette. A few brief seconds and a couple of swear words later, I was at 85 mph and I knew she had to be mine. I debated briefly whether I could live with Ebony leather vs the Seacoast which I loved, but at the end of the day, it needed to be in my driveway.

I've been driving it for two weeks now and I came to an interesting revelation - I've been consumed by seeing how far I can go in my daily commute on EV. I continue to challenge myself to see if I can better my 'high score' of 8.2km of my 36.8km drive (or 22.3% of the drive) on EV. I bought a 377 horsepower car based on it's raving axe-murderer characteristics, yet all I do is try to see how far I can go without turning the engine on - oh the irony! Even funnier - my company pays for my gas, so fuel economy has never historically been a pressing concern of mine. Truth be told, I have enjoyed Sport mode a few times as it's an addicting experience.

My wife thought I was crazy to trade a white RLX for another white RLX and be out of pocket. Her eyes would glaze over when I tried to explain the magic under the sheet metal. At the end of the day, she agreed to let me buy it if I would just stop talking about it lol. But then she took it for a spin and everything changed! She was fascinated with the Power Distribution Monitor and what the car was doing. She then put it in Sport mode and proclaimed "this is not a luxury car - this is a sports car"! She was hooked.

There are a few thing that will take getting used to. My right hand still wanders looking for the gearshift knob and I have in error put the car in drive instead of reverse once. I also really didn't like the whirling noise the car would make in EV - until I was advised of the button on my dashboard to turn it off. Unfortunately it defaults to the on position each time the car is turned off - so I have to get into the habit of turning it off each time I start the car.

Also, I set the Reactive Force Pedal to high, yet I wish it still allowed you to give sufficient EV power to get the car up to a reasonable cruising speed without engaging the ICE. I can do it, but only by driving like a granny with someone riding my bumper... That said, I am getting better at feathering on/off the gas pedal to achieve maximum EV performance.

One final note - I need to formally thank PGEORG for his tireless advice, guidance and support throughout my journey. He is a big reason why I was able to confidently proceed with my purchase. I know we all appreciate his replies on this forum, but I just wanted to say that he is a real gem and class act - with true kindness I have not seen before.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my journey and experiences to date with the SH as much as enjoyed writing about driving it! Without further ado, here are a few shots of my new baby...

Delivery day:
Name:  image1_zps1kibhkt7.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  188.7 KB

Brand new orange pad after claying and a paint correction:
Name:  image2_zpsfrvmlkwg.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  247.7 KB

My high score:
Name:  image5_zpsmcqir6lv.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  167.4 KB

Interior and exterior:
Name:  image6_zpsddgxuhcf.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  160.7 KB

Name:  image7_zpsy1bexrut.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  193.2 KB
The following 14 users liked this post by Limelight:
3.2cls6speedmt (04-07-2017), a35tl (04-07-2017), fsmith (04-07-2017), hondamore (04-07-2017), Malibu Flyer (04-10-2017), MSW 6SP (04-07-2017), neuronbob (04-07-2017), nist7 (04-28-2017), pgeorg (04-07-2017), Scott in AZ (04-07-2017), sri_gondi (06-01-2017), TampaRLX-SH (04-07-2017), wilspainar (04-07-2017), wstr75 (04-07-2017) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
You are lucky, good find. I am actually debating on getting a 2013-2014 TL manual sh-awd or continue waiting to find a SH RLX. I do like my PWS very much, but I really want AWD. There was a white SH RLX forsale not to long ago and I was going to go test drive it and I tried to explain to my wife yes they are both white and both look the same on the outside but the performance is not the same. She looked at me like I was crazy lol.
The following users liked this post:
Limelight (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 09:51 AM
Racer

Wait so the Canadian RLX sport hybrid comes in white exterior and ebony interior? Oh I need a Canadian model!
Old 04-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Congrats Limelight, and I wish you many healthy and happy miles with the SH!

You are just another victim of this particular and unique vehicle!

Keep those updates coming, please!

Thank you for the extremely kind words, it was and is my pleasure!
Limelight (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
Congratulations! Love your wheels. Tell us more about them.
The following 2 users liked this post by wstr75:
Limelight (04-07-2017), sri_gondi (06-01-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 11:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by wilspainar
You are lucky, good find. I am actually debating on getting a 2013-2014 TL manual sh-awd or continue waiting to find a SH RLX. I do like my PWS very much, but I really want AWD. There was a white SH RLX forsale not to long ago and I was going to go test drive it and I tried to explain to my wife yes they are both white and both look the same on the outside but the performance is not the same. She looked at me like I was crazy lol.
Thanks. The only way you are going to win that argument with your wife is to take her for a test drive in it. My wife wanted no part of the discussion until she drove it - and then it was a green light for the win!

Wait so the Canadian RLX sport hybrid comes in white exterior and ebony interior? Oh I need a Canadian model!
Not sure why, but yes. The Canadian 2015's also came with the surround view camera and headlight washers (which I don't believe US models get). Apparently snow only falls north of the US border.

If you're prepared to travel to Kelowna, British Columbia, there is a white 2016 Elite (CDN version of the Advance) with Ebony leather with roughly 16,500 miles asking $53,900 CDN. That is only roughly $40,000USD at today's conversion rate.

2016 Acura RLX Elite - NO Accidents OR Damage - Company Lease Veh - Kelowna $53,900 autoTRADER.ca

Originally Posted by wstr75
Congratulations! Love your wheels. Tell us more about them.
Thanks. My wheels are Rotiform SPF's (19x8.5 ET35) running on the stock 245/40R19 tires. From memory, they are around 6 pounds lighter per wheel than the OEM 19's too.
wilspainar (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Racer

My MDX is a Canadian model and it has the head light washers. Kind of a cool feature, oh man that car is so nice. I didn't think we could buy Canadian cars without a dealer's license?
Old 04-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
It is my understanding that there are issues with the warranty when moving a vehicle from Canada to the U.S. and vice versa.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Ll,

Thanks for a great review!

OTOH, since my search for a S Hybrid is specifically intended as my DWs DD, I will get little saddle time, ever! She's a passionate driver that isn't interested in the details, just likes a thoroughbred that does what she wants...instantly.

My search continues...

G
Limelight (04-10-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I have posted this before. Yes, that combination is offered in USA, but rare to find.

New 2017 Acura RLX For Sale | Tampa FL
Old 04-07-2017, 06:03 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Fantastic review, Limelight. I read it to my wife, and after laughing about the fact that she had to listen to much of what you said from me about my purchase, she thought the forum should have a wives' support group. Your description of your test drive is terrific. Welcome to the club. We 500 or so lucky owners are sharing what may be the best kept secret in the auto industry! From my experience, I think you can expect to still love the car just as much after 2.5 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by fsmith:
Limelight (04-10-2017), pgeorg (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for the review Limelight, I can draw several parallels to you purchasing experience as well as say that your car is identical to mine in every way (including year and colour). The only thing that I did right away is change the tires as I thought the Michelin Proxima's were under tired for what the car can really do. Super Sports were what I went with but there are lots of great tires out there. Your review hits the mark in several ways and I hope more people read it as we have all seen what happens when you actually commit to test driving one. Great review.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ugpo:
Limelight (04-10-2017), pgeorg (04-08-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Another convert to the cause. That Kool-Aid must be tasting mighty good (Bob takes another big slurp from the pitcher).

Nice review, this car almost markets itself.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
Limelight (04-10-2017), moose66 (04-08-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 06:27 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by fsmith
Fantastic review, Limelight. I read it to my wife, and after laughing about the fact that she had to listen to much of what you said from me about my purchase, she thought the forum should have a wives' support group. Your description of your test drive is terrific. Welcome to the club. We 500 or so lucky owners are sharing what may be the best kept secret in the auto industry! From my experience, I think you can expect to still love the car just as much after 2.5 years.
Glad my review made you and your wife laugh. I read your comment to mine and she agreed that a SH wives' support group is a brilliant idea! I say that with tongue in cheek though since she decided she would take the SH 'out for a drive' in Sport mode on Saturday... can't say she's ever done that in her Odyssey before

On a different note, I had a thought recently while driving the SH in EV. If I'm averaging 15-20% of my drive on EV, wouldn't the mileage reported on the vehicle be technically overstated? My thought was the mileage reading on the vehicle is there to document how far the engine has driven - but in the SH when EV is on, the engine is not technically on. It's as though the car is in neutral - and if someone is towing their vehicle behind an RV for example, that mileage is not being racked up on the vehicle being towed in neutral. I just think that when looking at mileage on a SH (in terms of wear and tear on the engine), you can discount EV use from that total - unless of course you factor engine starts/stops, which would be much higher on a SH than a regular vehicle... Maybe my logic is off, it was just a thought.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Miles driven generally correlate with maintenance intervals. The transmission and differentials are always spinning and the fluid needs to be changed based on operation. Boats, on the other hand, have hour meters.

My oil change intervals have been consistently at 10,000 in the SH. Does the PAWS have the same interval?
Old 04-10-2017, 10:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
PAWS seems to be about 10K
yup - boats are hour meters. Don't remind me
Old 04-22-2017, 06:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Excellent review Limelight!!! I'm currently in the market for an RLX-SH, and found your review helpful.

Hopefully, I can join the owners club soon when the right unit hits the market.
Limelight (04-25-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 08:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
You are going to be pissed you waited once you finally get one. Just find one and get it. One drive and you will be hooked like the rest of us. I promise it will take less than 100 yards in the car from the first drive for you to concede that you will drive that one home. I can't recall anyone test driving one and not buy it.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Cruisin'

RLX-Sport Hybrid I hope you are wrong.

I just scheduled my first test drive about five minutes ago for tomorrow morning. I have to drive about 100 miles for a test drive since there are currently only 2 units for sale in my state.

The unit I am test driving is being sold as new, and is more than I want to spend.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Call your insurance agent on the way. If you don't love it you will be the first one in this country that I am aware of. It is just that good. While it is not perfect and there are cars that many including myself will argue are better in different ways, there is something about this car that just gets you immediately. The driving experience is just awesome. When I drive other cars, I always wish I were back in the Blackbird. It seems we owners all know this, but everyone else doesn't get it, until they become an owner. Then....

Make sure you drive it in both eco and sport modes. Roll into the throttle from 20-70mph in eco mode at about 50% input pressure on the gas. Try it again applying about 75%, then 100% (best guess on your part). Then do the same thing while driving in sport mode. From a light or stop sign (assuming the transmission is warmed up and it will shift into M1), put it in sport mode, M1 with the paddles, brake hold, then hold on and mat the gas. 60mph will be gone in just under 4.9 seconds. For a sled of this size, it is amazingly fleet of foot. Then find some curvy roads and the car will amaze you again. I'm telling you I would be shocked if you are not an owner tomorrow afternoon. Don't say I did not warn you.

It isn't a GTR, but the unique experience is a true sleeper. Enjoy and report back to us tomorrow.
fsmith (04-23-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 01:17 AM
Cruisin'

RLX-Sport Hybrid,

FYI, I posted my test drive impressions under the "Thinking About Upgrading From a TL-S to a RLX Hybrid" discussion.

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Enjoy and report back to us tomorrow.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-27-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 08:03 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Wait so the Canadian RLX sport hybrid comes in white exterior and ebony interior?
Isn't that the most annoying thing.

:-(

<--Stuck with Seacoast, getting dirtier by the mile.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:15 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

The US RLX is available in white over black, at least as of the 2017 MY.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Cruisin'

I can confirm they do exist in the U.S. The vehicle I test drove last weekend had a white exterior and black interior.

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
The US RLX is available in white over black, at least as of the 2017 MY.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
For 2014 and 2016 the White exterior with Ebony interior, was NOT offered in the Advanced trim.
First one is the Advanced trim, second is the Technology trim. As you can see Ebony is not offered in the Advanced trim.....

wilspainar (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 07:49 PM
Racer

Do they even sell 2016's Sport Hybrid in Tech package? I have only seen them come with the Advanced package.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:47 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

There are 7 new SH's TECHs on AutoTrader. Two are 2016, five are 2017. Black, Gray, White.... period.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Pro

Just thought I'd post a few recent pictures after my weekend detailing regimen. She is starting to get a good glow from the incessant waxing...

Name:  RLX7_zps9kxgczam.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  169.4 KB

Name:  RLXa_zpsr7gz300f.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  154.2 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by Limelight:
pgeorg (05-11-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (05-16-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
She is beautiful. I am jealous

hopefully I will join the exclusive rlx sport hybrid owners club soon
Originally Posted by Limelight
Just thought I'd post a few recent pictures after my weekend detailing regimen. She is starting to get a good glow from the incessant waxing...

Limelight (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:10 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
Those wheels really make your car. Great choice. And nice job on the detailing.
Limelight (05-15-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
I was set on silver but adter seeing your pretty white one

I may get a white on black. Will keep you guys posted. I may get the wheels powdercoated in white.
Limelight (05-15-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 06:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts
Very nice and couldn't agree more with CadiGTi.
Limelight (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 07:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Those rims look great! 19" or 20"? Also if you have driven them at hwy speed, do you notice a sound difference? I know when I have my winter rims on I can actually hear the difference but I am not sure whether its the tyre or rims that make the different sounds. I just put PS4's on (thanks to a pothole, so good-bye Super Sports). Really like those rims though!
Limelight (05-17-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 07:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Ugpo
Those rims look great! 19" or 20"? Also if you have driven them at hwy speed, do you notice a sound difference? I know when I have my winter rims on I can actually hear the difference but I am not sure whether its the tyre or rims that make the different sounds. I just put PS4's on (thanks to a pothole, so good-bye Super Sports). Really like those rims though!
Thanks! My wheels are 19x8.5 ET35 Rotiform SPF's. They are roughly 6 pounds lighter per wheel than the OEM 19's. I haven't noticed any increased noise. I was worried going to 20's would make the car extremely rough over bumps.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:36 AM
Racer

Car looks good with different wheels. I finially went a test drove a SH. I wasn't really blown away like I was expecting to be. I did like how the DCT shifted compared to my PWS, but I don't think I will be trading it in for a SH. It didn't seem that much faster for me then my PWS. Maybe my perception of fast is different then most.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:44 PM
Pro

Car looks good with different wheels. I finially went a test drove a SH. I wasn't really blown away like I was expecting to be. I did like how the DCT shifted compared to my PWS, but I don't think I will be trading it in for a SH. It didn't seem that much faster for me then my PWS. Maybe my perception of fast is different then most.
Thanks. I'm really surprised you didn't find the SH significantly faster than the P-AWS.

Members here have recorded 4.8 seconds 0-60 in the SH vs the P-AWS at 5.8+ seconds. That full second probably equates to 40+ feet ahead or several car lengths. Not that any of that matters in daily practice - but to me, the seat of the pants feel is much quicker. Night and day actually. My son always said the P-AWS "felt" noticeably slower than my 2012 TL. It was probably close 0-60, but the P-AWS didn't 'feel' quick, perhaps because it's a bigger more luxurious car and it hides the speed well. The SH however does very much feel fast to me. Perhaps all our comments of its capabilities over-extended your expectations a bit.

i guess the good news for you is that if you don't feel the difference, you've just saved yourself some money! I'm assuming of course you used Sport mode too....
Old 05-21-2017, 01:37 PM
Racer

I tested it only in Sport Mode. And while I did actually like the DCT a lot more, I was really expecting it to be faster on my butt dyno. I am a techy guy so I did like the power distribution screen, it was pretty cool. It did ride a lot nicer compared to my 14'. And on turns the rear end didn't feel fat like my PWS.

Coming from fast bikes and modd'd turbo cars I guess my idea of fast is just a little bit different.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
wilspainar, even in Sport Mode, the Sport Hybrid will still start in 2nd gear unless you manually select first gear with the paddles. First gear is where the fun is as the acceleration is significantly improved and would feel much, much faster than the PAWS version. It might be worth another test drive if you didn't select 1st gear during your earlier test.
Just my two cents.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Looks beautiful! Nice work from another detailing freak. I wish mine were white.
Limelight (05-23-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by hondamore
wilspainar, even in Sport Mode, the Sport Hybrid will still start in 2nd gear unless you manually select first gear with the paddles. First gear is where the fun is as the acceleration is significantly improved and would feel much, much faster than the PAWS version. It might be worth another test drive if you didn't select 1st gear during your earlier test.
Just my two cents.
I see, well since it had only 51 miles on it I didn't want to floor it like I would normally in my car. I think I will go for another test drive.