2015 RLX SH Elite two week review

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Limelight, did you see any difference in your drive with those wheels being that they are lighter?
Old 05-24-2017, 05:24 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by wilspainar
Limelight, did you see any difference in your drive with those wheels being that they are lighter?
I do believe there is a noticeable difference with the lighter wheels - 6 pounds lighter at the wheel vs OEM is not a small weight savings. I'm sure George would have a better idea theoretically on what this would mean as translatable performance, but it does seem to have more pep with these wheels.

Might all be in my head though as I don't think sexy has a direct correlation to speed 😎
Old 05-30-2017, 06:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
@ Limelight,

Beautiful car, thanks for the new pics, you are making a good argument for a white RLX!!! I'm also loving those wheels.

@ Wilspainer,
As another RLX-SH shopper who has now had several test drives, and has experience driving super fast exotics, I had a similar initial impression. For some reason, I don't find this car to be very torque'y, which typically equates to speed via the "butt dyno". Which of course is counter intuitive considering all the electric motors, and the manner in which Acura's are typically tuned. However, regardless of the "butt dyno" the car is FAST. Several times now, during different test drives while putting my right foot down, I've said, "come on that's all you have for 377HP", and then surprised as I look down at the gauges, to find the needle sweeping past a very high rate of speed (MPH).

The characteristics of this car remind me a lot of the W212 E550, lots of power, moderate wheelbase, heavy car with soft dampening, and a silky smooth transmission. The momentum builds so effortlessly with little noise or fuse from the powertrain it actually desensitizes the acceleration. I believe this is a result of the electric motor bolted onto the transmission activing as a torque converter.

I've also found the car's performance can vary slightly depending on the charge of the hybrid battery system. Like others, I would definitely recommend you give it a another drive.

Originally Posted by wilspainar
I tested it only in Sport Mode. And while I did actually like the DCT a lot more, I was really expecting it to be faster on my butt dyno. I am a techy guy so I did like the power distribution screen, it was pretty cool. It did ride a lot nicer compared to my 14'. And on turns the rear end didn't feel fat like my PWS.

Coming from fast bikes and modd'd turbo cars I guess my idea of fast is just a little bit different.

Last edited by MegaAutoBit; 05-30-2017 at 06:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MegaAutoBit:
Limelight (05-31-2017), pgeorg (05-31-2017), wilspainar (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 08:59 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Thanks for that insight Mega, I have been thinking of testing driving a used one. I don't want to drive the heck out of a new one when it's not broken in yet. I have my eye on a few used ones that I have been thinking about testing it properly as those are broken in already.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:56 AM
2014 SH Advance/2006 Tech

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wstr75
Congratulations! Love your wheels. Tell us more about them.
Ditto.. Those wheels are sick.
The following users liked this post:
Limelight (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 11:44 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by sri_gondi
Ditto.. Those wheels are sick.
Thanks. For me, the wheels struck the right balance between adding a sportier/upgraded look, while not deviating too much from an OEM-like overall appearance.