A-Spec owners - wish you had Advance instead ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I agree, I really do not like my Advanced wheels. My only real dislike. But, since I drive it, more than look at it, I am just moving on.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I think the advance wheels look just fine. I am happy with the look
And that's totally ok! Different tastes for everyone

Originally Posted by Sounds
Are the wheels on the A-spec actually Black, or are they more of a dark (gunmetal?) color?
No they are a gunmetal gray, but a darker gunmetal color. It's a very nice color IMO.

Originally Posted by cheffip
In Canada, the Advance is subdivided into two models, Elite and Platinum Elite. The Elite wheels are nice, like an upscale Tech wheel design. The ugly flower wheels are reserved for the top model. Go figure.
Lol I'm Canadian I know about the silly trim division haha. And I agree the Elite has way nicer wheels than the Elite-platinum.....funny considering the EP is a whole 5k more.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:35 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
When I first started to look at the RDX....I was drawn to the A-Spe.....primarily that pretty blue...then I saw the "suede" on the dash and the seats and that in my opinion will just collect dirt/dust..whatever ur eating and falling down into the seat! A lot of other manufacturers do that same "suede" in their sportier trims.....No TY, thats a deal breaker for me. After test driving vehicles with the heads up display..its a must have for me.....my wife hated that feature..found it very annoying
Old 01-03-2019, 12:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A-Spec Happy Camper...
Old 01-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A-spec in Performance Red Pearl and couldn't be happier!
Old 01-07-2019, 02:56 PM
5th Gear

Completely torn

I'm completely torn, the smaller wheels and chrome on the other models is a complete non-starter / deal reaker for me. On the other hand, I really wish I had adaptive suspension, hud, 360 cam, 16 way seats, heated rear seats...

If Acura releases an advanced a-spec in the upcoming years, I'd consider trading for that. OTOH I've been hearing rumors about RDX type-S and a serious MDX makeover...
Old 01-07-2019, 03:54 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Tanzeeb
I'm completely torn, the smaller wheels and chrome on the other models is a complete non-starter / deal reaker for me. On the other hand, I really wish I had adaptive suspension, hud, 360 cam, 16 way seats, heated rear seats...
Yesterday I was standing in the parking lot of an Acura dealer looking at two white RDXs, side by side. One was an A-spec, the other was Advance. If I buy an RDX I absolutely want the features in the Advance. I got upset because the white A-spec looked really good but the white Advance looked kinda "blah." I was surprised at how much better the A-spec looked and disappointed that it can't have the features I want. Truth is I was so bummed that it turned me off a bit to the whole Acura / RDX experience.

Last edited by Sounds; 01-07-2019 at 03:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sportsguy (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 04:07 PM
5th Gear

Truth is I was so bummed that it turned me off a bit to the whole Acura / RDX experience.
Same, but then I tried spec'ing out a Volvo and BMW and realized the all-in-one Acura process isn't that bad. My A-Spec in Apex Blue Pearl looks better than any X3 or XC60 :-)
sportsguy (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Yesterday I was standing in the parking lot of an Acura dealer looking at two white RDXs, side by side. One was an A-spec, the other was Advance. If I buy an RDX I absolutely want the features in the Advance. I got upset because the white A-spec looked really good but the white Advance looked kinda "blah." I was surprised at how much better the A-spec looked and disappointed that it can't have the features I want. Truth is I was so bummed that it turned me off a bit to the whole Acura / RDX experience.
To me looks are not as important as features/capability.. I should know, I'm certainly not a movie star!

Old 01-07-2019, 05:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tanzeeb

If Acura releases an advanced a-spec in the upcoming years, I'd consider trading for that. OTOH I've been hearing rumors about RDX type-S and a serious MDX makeover...
I completely understand where you guys are coming from and I fully agree. The regular model is just not nearly as attractive as the A-Spec IMO. But it really isn't a huge issue. @iforyou has an RDX Platinum-Elite (Canadian Advance) that he's slowly converted to look 90% like an A-Spec. It's as simple as getting the grille and chrome trim wrapped in black gloss vinyl wrap and switching out the wheels and using the nasty OEM ones as winter tires.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Yesterday I was standing in the parking lot of an Acura dealer looking at two white RDXs, side by side. One was an A-spec, the other was Advance....I was surprised at how much better the A-spec looked...
Different strokes for different folks. I see it just the opposite - probably the reason Acura makes both.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX10
It's as simple as getting the grille and chrome trim wrapped in black gloss vinyl wrap and switching out the wheels and using the nasty OEM ones as winter tires.
Thanks, I appreciate the help... but I'd already be spending more than I'd like to on the RDX so I'd rather not have to pay an extra $2,000 for wheels plus whatever the other stuff costs (and I don't need snow tires here in FL). Thanks, though.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks, I appreciate the help... but I'd already be spending more than I'd like to on the RDX so I'd rather not have to pay an extra $2,000 for wheels plus whatever the other stuff costs (and I don't need snow tires here in FL). Thanks, though.
Yeah no I fully understand and agree. The A-spec is nothing but a looks upgrade. Which dumbass in Acura HQ thought making it a separate trim was smart?

You know what especially burns? The fact that the TLX can be purchased as an Elite(advanced)-A-Spec model here in Canada. An all in one package. Us Canadians were fully expecting the RDX to follow suit. Unfortunately it did no such thing and we're left with a convoluted trim level structure.

Granted, our A-spec is fairly well equipped with things like ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, power folding mirrors, and 16 speaker ELS.....but it's missing the CORE things you'd want in a sport model. I.e adaptive suspension, HUD, and the 16 way seats. It's really not a smart packaging theme.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX10
It's really not a smart packaging theme.
I completely agree. Believe me.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:15 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Haha, I got a set of 20" TSW Nurburgring replicas in for $1000 CAD. The vinyl material costed me $150 CAD. Tires would cost some money but I guess that's a wear and tear item. I'd imagine things in the US are a bit cheaper. Also, rims, you can sell them later and won't lose too much

RDX10 (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou
Haha, I got a set of 20" TSW Nurburgring replicas in for $1000 CAD. The vinyl material costed me $150 CAD. Tires would cost some money but I guess that's a wear and tear item. I'd imagine things in the US are a bit cheaper. Also, rims, you can sell them later and won't lose too much

I LOVE your Platinum-Elite! I can't even tell it's not an A-Spec and this is exactly what I'm doing if a Type-S doesn't come out in the next year or two. Also those wheels are perfect! 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻
Old 01-09-2019, 01:54 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Thank you sir!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:36 AM
Racer

Very nice, great job! I see Acura sells Glint Black Alloy wheels for $2,000 US. They look great but $2K is rather steep. Anyone know if Acura will sell them for less $$ if we turn in the Advance wheels?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:46 PM
Racer

Very nice, great job! I see Acura sells Glint Black Alloy wheels for $2,000 US. They look great but $2K is rather steep. Anyone know if Acura will sell them for less $$ if we turn in the Advance wheels?
Believe Curry Acura sells them for less.....or go onto Tirerack.com You can plug ur RDX in..and see what the rims look like on the RDX

Last edited by flames9; 01-09-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by flames9
Believe Curry Acura sells them for less.....or go onto Tiurerack.com You can plu ur RDX in..and see what the rims look like on the RDX
Thanks. I can see what the premium wheels look like on the Acura site and they look pretty good. See below, Advance wheels on top, Glint Black Alloy wheels on bottom.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Racer

Thanks. I can see what the premium wheels look like on the Acura site and they look pretty good. See below, Advance wheels on top, Glint Black Alloy wheels on bottom.

yes but ur prob paying a premium for buying them at any acura...buying elsewhere such as tirerack may be less $$$ and a better rim..
Old 01-09-2019, 02:03 PM
Racer

yes but ur prob paying a premium for buying them at any acura...buying elsewhere such as tirerack may be less $$$ and a better rim..
Yeah, that's why I was wondering if an Acura dealer might sell them at a discount if we give them the Advance wheels. I'm talking about when we purchase the car, not aftermarket.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Whoever came up with the advance rims really needs a talking to haha. Why is it so hard for Acura to choose nice looking stock rims?
Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Yeah, that's why I was wondering if an Acura dealer might sell them at a discount if we give them the Advance wheels. I'm talking about when we purchase the car, not aftermarket.
And who's going to buy those advance rims ?

If all can't wait to get rid of them, who would pay for them ? Maybe those folks that defended the looks of the rims.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acuraada

If all can't wait to get rid of them, who would pay for them ? Maybe those folks that defended the looks of the rims.
True. Good point.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by skarface
Whoever came up with the advance rims really needs a talking to haha. Why is it so hard for Acura to choose nice looking stock rims?
Lol RIGHT?!?!

LOL!!!! Gotta love those defending these atrocities to anything that has vision haha I'm joking I'm joking...to each their own!
Old 01-09-2019, 11:56 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah...those power folding mirrors is the one feature (for the US market) that I really wanted that would've SOLD me to get this '19 RDX. So...I'm still undecided, and we'll see if I'll ever get over it.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:32 AM
Racer

I just took a look at tirerack. Very cool. Question: are there any particular wheels that work (or don't work) with the RDX's built-in tire pressure monitor thingy? Also, is there anything else I need to look for so the wheels will "function" properly on the RDX?

Oh, one more question. How much should I expect to pay (in US $) for the labor to remove the old wheels and install the new ones?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2019, 07:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I've never seen so much whining and complaining over wheels. Just buy the model you want. If rims are so important to you then replace the wheels and tires to what you like or go buy BMW and option it out!. . This is what we have
Vince D (12-28-2020)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Maybe because theres never been uglier stock wheels that you actually pay more for?

​​​​​​

Last edited by acuraada; 01-10-2019 at 07:14 AM.
RDX10 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Maybe because theres never been uglier stock wheels that you actually pay more for?

​​​​​​
I totally disagree with you. If I didn't like the wheels on this vehicle, I'd change them

My point still stands . Don't lie the wheels, change them. .. poof
Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 AM
Racer

Which is precisely why I asked this question.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:51 AM
Burning Brakes

I totally disagree with you. If I didn't like the wheels on this vehicle, I'd change them

What's there to disagree about? It's a fact you pay more for advance package. It comes with an uglier wheels, in my opinion, than tech or even the standard.

dont see how or why you need to disagree with that.

If you disagree with our opinion on the asthestics of the wheel, sure I can respect.​​​​
​​​​​​

Last edited by acuraada; 01-10-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Which is precisely why I asked this question.
yes, I know why you asked. I replaced the tires and wheels on the '15 TLX Advance I had because I didn't like the stock wheels. The features of the model were worth it to me. YMMV
Old 01-10-2019, 07:53 AM
Suzuka Master

What's there to disagree about? It's a fact you pay more for advance package. It comes with an uglier wheels, in my opinion, than tech or even the standard.

dont see how or why you need to disagree with that.

​​​​
​​​​​​
I don't see how or why you feel the need to respond like you do either but you damn sure do.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:56 AM
Racer

yes, I know why you asked. I replaced the tires and wheels on the '15 TLX Advance I had because I didn't like the stock wheels. The features of the model were worth it to me. YMMV
Sounds like we're in agreement here -- don't like the wheels, change them. What I/we are saying is that the most expensive Advance level RDX should have come with nicer looking wheels. We shouldn't have to spend even more money to change the wheels.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sounds:
RDX10 (01-10-2019), Stew4HD (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Sounds like we're in agreement here -- don't like the wheels, change them. What I/we are saying is that the most expensive Advance level RDX should have come with nicer looking wheels. We shouldn't have to spend even more money to change the wheels.
If they had used different wheels, people would still complain.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:03 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't see how or why you feel the need to respond like you do either but you damn sure do.
​​​​​​
I've never seen so much whining and complaining over wheels. Just buy the model you want. If rims are so important to you then replace the wheels and tires to what you like or go buy BMW and option it out!. . This is what we have
Exactly
Old 01-10-2019, 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

I totally get it and wish Acura would let us option stuff in or out like other manufacturers do without costing so much more. If I recall. they offer the diamond cut wheels to replace the stock advance wheels they are damn proud of them.

As I have said, I like the stock wheels well enough to not spend $$ to swap them and understand that they aren't the prettiest.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts

​​​​​​
Obviously you're talking about the A-Spec wheels over the Tech, right?

Quick Reply: A-Spec owners - wish you had Advance instead ?